CM Punk Joining The UFC Is Ironic & Hypocritical

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
If this has already been talked about by someone in the original Punk joining the UFC thread, it's not my intention to steal the idea. There's just too many posts in that thread to read over them all.

Punk joining The UFC has become one of the biggest wrestling related news stories of 2014. It's gotten a lot of press coverage, generated a lot of buzz and will most likely equal a big payday for both UFC and CM Punk when it's all said & done. Over the years, Punk's voiced his unhappiness with WWE's use of part timers and/or former talent who've used their celebrity status outside of WWE to wrangle some pretty sweet, big money deals. Maybe I'm a bit slow as it's taken me this long to realize it, it just suddenly popped into my head earlier today in fact, but CM Punk's doing the exact same thing he's given The Rock & Brock Lesnar grief over.

As is expected, some fans of wrestling & MMA are fine with it, some aren't, some MMA fighters are fine with it, some aren't. Probably the most well known of Punk's detractors thus far is Nate Diaz:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/12/nate-diaz-slams-ufcs-cm-punk-signing-f-ck-him-f-ck-the-whole-situation

I don't know the details of Punk's UFC deal, I don't think any details have been revealed other than it's a multi-fight deal and that he'll debut sometime in 2015. Regardless, Punk has used his celebrity status as a former major player in WWE as a means of securing what I think most of us feel will be a big money deal. I'll be extremely surprised if Punk doesn't make somewhere in the $250,000 to $500,000 range per fight. Unlike The Rock & Brock Lesnar in WWE, CM Punk has absolutely zero experience in mixed martial arts; he's never fought a fight, he's 36 years old and he's frequently told anyone who'll listen about the injuries he's sustained after nearly 15 years in professional wrestling. Just as The Rock & Brock Lesnar have been given some degree of special treatment in WWE, it looks as though CM Punk's getting a bit of special treatment from UFC management. I mean, despite never having fought an MMA fight in his life, despite that there have been fighters who've devoted their lives to mixed martial arts that've tried for years to be signed with UFC only to be disappointed, Phil Brooks doesn't seem to mind preferential treatment as long as he's the one getting it.

I made the remark elsewere on the forum that it was hilarious and heavily ironic that the number one crybaby when it came to old guys or non-wrestlers stealing roster spots from full time workers was CM Punk.

Now he walks in to UFC without a shred of experience, when people have been killing themselves for years just to have a chance at it.

Hopefully someone breaks his face, and he can just go away forever.

Oh completely. Ironic, hypocritical, AND hilarious. Here's a guy who literally walked out of the business he "loved" over the exact same shit that he's doing right now. Like you said, there are thousands of legitimate fighters who have worked there asses off for YEARS just to get a spot on a UFC card, and here's an amateur who's going to make more per fight than probably most anybody... Just ridiculous. It's so easy to point the finger but it's much harder to actually stand by your beliefs, and sadly C.M Punk seemingly does not stand by his...

At least The Rock and Brock Lesnar were legends, or at the very least names, in the wrestling business. C.M. Punk has no experience at all in the MMA world. He was quite literally somebody who was popular in a whole other form of sport, and decided to try out something that he's been wanting to do for a while.

I hope somebody breaks him in half and shows him that MMA is no fucking game.

Personally the outcome of this match defines whether he is a hypocrite or not in my opinion. Wrestling is different, the end of the match is scripted so there is a reason to be upset when someone steals your spotlight. However, if Punk were to win it would prove that he can hold his own at the very least. Different scenarios.

I hope somebody breaks him in half and shows him that MMA is no fucking game.

I agree it is pretty hypocritical of Phil to complain about part-timers and preferential treatment in WWE (where he's had years of experience) and then walk right into a deal in the top MMA league in the world without even a single official fight under his belt.

BUT

UFC is a business so I don't blame UFC for a second signing Phil Brooks. They probably look at it like a lot of fans will look at it: "Wow, how many people are going to be interested in seeing this amateur former pro wrestler fight in a real fight against a trained professional?" "Probably A LOT!"

But I read that Phil will likely face an opponent who is just 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 or something like that. So he won't face a hardened veteran but I guess that doesn't mean the guy hasn't had fights in NON UFC leagues so I think that's why it's a big money opportunity for the UFC and that's why they signed him.

What I will be interested to see is if Phil makes it to a second fight. If he loses the first one, will he want to fight again?

I posted this in an earlier post, so I'll simply repost.

There is a distinct possibility that Punk might be deemed unqualified for a UFC fight depending on who they pit him against. According to this report, Athletic Commissions from Nevada and NJ are already showing their concerns and reservations over granting a license to fight to CM Punk. They are advising him to first gain some amateur experience before they think about doing so.

Also, a recent interview shows that CM Punk doesn't really have much training in Jiu Jitsu (he's a white belt and never got his blue belt because he used to train infrequently), neither has he had any proper sparring (he's sparred with only some inexperienced guys as I gather). He still doesn't know which weight class he'll fight or where he'll train.

Money or no money, as of now, Punk doesn't belong in Octagon. I am not sure he'll be even qualified to go through, especially with the number of injuries and concussions he has had in the past.

Is it really hypocritical to realize that the world isn't going to just reward you for hard work, and that you have to self-promote in order to REALLY grab the brass ring? (with all due respect to Vince McMahon).

Calling someone a hypocrite is the same as saying things change...just a different way to look at it. If you don't see a situation changing, and you are not adjusting to that realization, then you're being foolish. I don't think there's a single person on that roster who wouldn't have taken The Rock or Lesnar's deal had they been in the same position, and that includes John "Wrestling is my life" Cena. Punk's created a situation where he stands to make a lot more money for himself, doing something different, and being a bit more in control of his own destiny.

While it might be argued as a two-faced duplicitous maneuver, CM Punk is in no way behaving hypocritically. His main gripe, once we look past how he viewed himself as "one of the boys" getting shortchanged due to other marquee stars, was that HE was not getting special treatment alongside Rock, Brock, Batista, and other main event guys whom Punk viewed as his equals (an assertion which to a degree was reinforced by McMahon's assuaging assurances). Punk's main grievance was that he saw himself as a huge star and was not paid/treated/respected/etc. accordingly.

How can his integrity be questioned when he has adhered to his principles? All he wanted this whole time was preferential treatment, and UFC has fulfilled his request. The process of acquiring any talent is similar and consistent with what UFC, WWE, or what any other entertainment organization goes through in order to procure a contract with the individual. CM Punk likely had some costly demands, which is why UFC's best interest is in heavily promoting his appearances to reap the monetary rewards. No irony, no hypocrisy, just ordinary showbiz.

UFC came to him. It wasn't like he begged UFC. It's obvious it's something he wanted to do. I don't see anything wrong with what he did. I'd say it's the same thing Brock and Rock did, not in a bad way, a good way. They all realized they got more to do besides wrestling.

CM Punk isn't stealing these spots from UFC fighters, the UFC is handing it to him on a silver platter. He has name recognition, it's business. Get over it. He's not fighting for the title his first fight.

Punk has training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and trains with Rener Gracie, he at least has some experience. Who gives a damn if he's not ready come his first fight, he's busting his ass off to learn it and if you fans can't respect the man for trying something new than don't be his fan; he's proven he doesn't need you.

Punk is not a hypocrite. He was consistantly working through numerous injuries that were neglected by the medical staff. Not one person, including myself, has EVER had to do that. It's so easy for someone to say "oh yeah punk can't handle an injury in a scripted match he won't last" but until you do that, you can't devalue him. It's wrecklessness vs. toughness, and Punk is a tough man.

Let's just see where this goes. If he flops he flops, nobody knows. It baffles me that most "fans" of Punk only find the time to ridicule him anymore.

Devil's advocate...

• CM Punk is putting his body and his mouth on the line - Rock & Brock... not so much.
  • While he has not participated in MMA, he has devoted a good portion of his life to learning it.
  • By it's styling - UFC is a part-time sport; Punk'll therefore be 'full-time' for the duration of his contract.
  • Brock Lesnar came back to the WWe for an easy payday for little work; the Rock came back to give his acting career a boost (his box office records and roles since have proved it very shrewd too). Punk is known to be very financially stable, it is no exaggeration to say that he has much more to lose than gain here - the money is secondary and age & experience would indicate that this could very much be a one and done experience with loads of humble pie to potentially consume.
  • 'Taking my spot' is a legitimate gripe in wrestling but no-one 'takes' a spot in the UFC - you either earn it or you get forgotten. At this moment, Punk has an opportunity to establish a spot. If he isn't up to the task, no amount of politicking will save him.

Yes, Punk has gotten an opportunity he wouldn't have gotten if he wasn't CM Punk but I honestly don't feel it's as cynical as Rock and Brock.

This is a hard one. I'm not sure if it's hypocrisy or not to tell you the truth. UFC works much differently than the WWE. Fights are months apart, he won't be out there fighting every week like he was in the WWE. So if his contract calls for 3 fights a year and he does them, then he's not a part timer like the people he spoke out about.

Add to that the fact that he won't be in the title picture and will be fighting guys with the same record as him. There is no way Dana White will book him to get killed in his first fight, he'll have to work his way through whatever division he's in.

Yes he spoke out about part timers in the WWE and in a way he was right. When one guy comes in for one night and a top tier talent is expected to go out and job to him then I can see his annoyance. It happened on numerous occasions as well. On the flip side of that, a part timer like Lesnar or the Rock isn't going go come back to fight Hornswoggle, they want to wrestler a top tier talent. So either stop bringing them back or wrestlers on the roster will have to suck it up.

Not expecting his MMA career to last any great length of time. I think after one or maybe two fights he'll have had it. Once he sees that these guys are for real, and he could get legitimately injured and its within the rules, he'll stop.

Once he takes a kick to one of his dozens of injury prone locations on his body, a full forced REAL UFC kick, he'll quickly decide that the few hundred thousands of dollars isn't worth it. Almost every successful UFC fighter has spent their lifetime training MMA only. Brock and Bobby Lashley had wrestling backgrounds, Brock had arguably the best possible ground wrestling pedigree, and he was only getting better as he graduated college. CM Punk has never ever had formal wrestling experience. He has zero actual MMA full speed experience. He has scripted, choreographed, stuntman experience.

What he's doing is WORSE than what Rock/Brock/Bastista did. They were the absolute top of the WWE when they left. He's never BEEN to the UFC. Dana White sees some $$, so I don't blame him. CM Punk should have had the conviction to be the man he cried every day that "Duhwaayne" should have been.

CM Punk isn't stealing these spots from UFC fighters, the UFC is handing it to him on a silver platter. He has name recognition, it's business. Get over it.

This, in a post defending Punk saying he isn't a hypocrite? You do realize this is the EXACT thing Punk bitched and moaned about constantly, and large portion of the reason he quit? Its the EXACT same reason WWE reached out to guys like the Rock, Brock, and Batista?

Once he takes a kick to one of his dozens of injury prone locations on his body, a full forced REAL UFC kick, he'll quickly decide that the few hundred thousands of dollars isn't worth it.

A distinct possibility.

Another one is that for all the noise he's making and all the publicity he's getting......his UFC career never materializes. Somewhere during his "intensive training" we're informed of a "crippling injury" he's developed that keeps his debut in UFC from ever happening.

Given his build, his age and his injuries, I can't see him fighting for real .....unless mixed martial arts has it's own version of jobbers; guys who couldn't hurt a fly no matter how hard they try.

Does UFC have people like that? If so, maybe Punk tries it. If not, it just might turn out he was giving us a line of bullshit as to the possibility of ever stepping in the ring. We'll see.

*****By the way, if he ever fought in UFC, he'd appear under the name of Phil Brooks, wouldn't he? I mean, I know he owns the Punk name, but he wouldn't actually go into a UFC fight under that moniker, would he? Just wondering.

I had no problem if Punk wanted to leave the WWE thats his choice but its his ungratefull arrogant above everyone else attitude because he never got this and that when he got so much and he was so undeserving in the first place, There was so much better on the roster than him. saying that I do think he's worth high money in the UFC as I imagine lots will watch and pay for his fights I don't think anyone would expect him to start his pay from the bottom of the card pay when he is such a known name.

By all accounts, it seems as if the UFC were the ones that approached CM Punk about fighting in the UFC, not CM Punk beating down Dana White for a spot in the UFC. There will be a lot of intrigue and, for at the very least, one fight/season of TUF (However UFC decides to use Punk is undetermined), Punk stands to be a fairly significant drawing card. Now, assuming CM Punk was open to fighting in any MMA organization worth while, like BELLATOR or WSOF or something similar, the UFC chasing after Punk's signature, to me, always seemed more about keeping Punk out of the hands of competitors, than it was about adding his value to the UFC, because lets face it, if Punk was willing to fight for anyone, not just the UFC, then CM Punk in the hands of BELLATOR was something that the UFC wasn't willing to risk, knowing that Punk on a BELLATOR show may result in that company's highest rating and possible contribution to their sustainable growth. What I'm most interested in seeing now is, will this come back to bite the UFC in the ass.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...y-former--current-fighters-233458118-mma.html

To me, the CM Punk UFC signing is more about a business decision made to keep an interested party with a lot of current buzz due to his WWE circumstances out of the hands of competitors who could truly benefit from a CM Punk fight, than it was about the UFC signing CM Punk for the sake of the quality of the UFC roster. It's starting to look like, early on, that this signing was made at the absolute worst time in correlation to this lawsuit. Just your typical Dana White screwing the competition move that we've grown accustomed to seeing.

What I find more amusing is that he whined about Ryback being overly physical and stiff, only to sign with a real fighting company...

<yes I know wrestling is a work and the intention is not to hurt people, but you have to admit it raises a laugh when you think about it>

CM Punk isn't stealing these spots from UFC fighters, the UFC is handing it to him on a silver platter. He has name recognition, it's business. Get over it. He's not fighting for the title his first fight.

No one in this thread is calling him a hypocrite for simply doing this, they are calling him a hypocrite for doing this after bitching about Vince handing things to guys like Rock, Brock, and UT on a silver platter.

Punk has training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and trains with Rener Gracie, he at least has some experience. Who gives a damn if he's not ready come his first fight, he's busting his ass off to learn it and if you fans can't respect the man for trying something new than don't be his fan; he's proven he doesn't need you.

Again, you are struggling to understand this thread. It is not about trying something new, it is about bitching about WWE doing something and then signing with UFC which is basically doing the same thing for him.

Punk is not a hypocrite. He was consistantly working through numerous injuries that were neglected by the medical staff. Not one person, including myself, has EVER had to do that. It's so easy for someone to say "oh yeah punk can't handle an injury in a scripted match he won't last" but until you do that, you can't devalue him. It's wrecklessness vs. toughness, and Punk is a tough man.

I didn't see where anyone called him a hypocrite for entertaining hurt.

But on that note I find it hard to believe Dana White has never sent an injured fighter out to compete in a real combat sport. Some thing Punk seems to be against but yet he signed with an organization that probably is guilty of it.

Let's just see where this goes. If he flops he flops, nobody knows. It baffles me that most "fans" of Punk only find the time to ridicule him anymore.

It isn't his fans fault he made an ass of himself. He openly criticized WWE management, talent, and the medical staff but he has a wife that still works for the company. Does that make sense? He criticizes HHH and Vince when they don't tell him what guys like Rock, Cena, UT and Brock made for Mania but he hasn't revealed what he is getting from Dana White. Is that not hypocritical? Do you really think he is getting the same payday as his UFC opponent? He talks of his concern about the way 'the boys' will get compensated for PPV in the Network Era but signs with an organization that has a class action lawsuit against it by their current and former fighters over monopoly, money, and merchandizing. Did you even listen to Punk's podcast?

I would simply suggest this. Phil would have been quite happy to headline Wrestlemania against Brock Lesnar, particularly if he were to go over Brock. How about he headline a UFC event against Brock Lesnar, and see if what he can accomplish on his own?

I have told EVERYONE since the beginning that Punk was just a Diva and this proves it. I also absolutely love his cop out that "It's not my call. You guys should be mad at Dana!!!"

WHAT A BYTCH!!!

Oh for you guys saying he is not stealing a spot. He is. He is going straight to PPV without ANY fights under his belts. EVER. He didn't even fight on the playgrounds at recess. He is a DUCK but he used his "name and fame" to Headline. PERIOD! I can't see how that is different even for Punk fans.

You guys booed Batista and the Rock for them taking the spots from guys in an organization that they WORKED AND EARNED SPOTS IN. Both were former WWE CHAMPIONS who started off at the bottom and worked their way to the top. They both started in smaller organizations before hitting the E. Where did Punk first fight at?

Oh and don't forget that most fighters either have a name for fighting in other organizations or have to go the Ultimate fighter route where you have to fight for the chance to fight for a chance to fight for a chance to fight for a chance to earn a PPV spot.

Punk did NONE OF THIS.

So how is he not a hypocrite?

You guys made Punk a martyr but all he truly was is a money hunger DIVA who only cares about PUNK!!!!!

Oh for you guys saying he is not stealing a spot. He is. He is going straight to PPV without ANY fights under his belts. EVER. He didn't even fight on the playgrounds at recess. He is a DUCK but he used his "name and fame" to Headline. PERIOD! I can't see how that is different even for Punk fans.

Not trying to be a douche and please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all UFC fight cards PPV's?

And by the way I do agree he shouldn't be anywhere near the Octagon until he is cleared by the commission. So it might be quite some time till be see him anywhere in a UFC ring.

Punk, though I admire the dude his intellect, is a hypocrite for the ages and always has been. I can't help but laugh whenever I re-watch that promo he cut about him busting his ass off every week while The Rock was "off at Hollywood," knowing that a few months later he'd walk out and never come back. And now with this UFC deal happening he's become the very thing he used to lambast. I'm a fan of the guy but he's a goddamn drama queen

I do understand the hypocrisy of going straight into UFC with no prior experience or fights under his belt.

BUT

What is he supposed to do. His recognition comes from being in WWE for nearly ten years, not matter what he does he'll be known as 'Former WWE Champion CM Punk'. He's apparently writing something for Marvel, you don't think they'll advertise the book as 'Written by former WWE Champion CM Punk' or some variation on it. Short of doing a Jeff Jarrett and starting his own promotion (which will still be billed as 'New promotion by former WWE champion CM Punk) he's going to be dragging the connection to WWE forever.

He wants to try his hand at MMA before he gets to old and I commend him for it. Sure he may get his ass kicked and end up having his meals through a straw but at east he can say he tried something he wanted to do. So many people have wanted to try things that they haven't for various reasons. Punk has the ability to do these things because of his name value and what he's done.

Again don't get me wrong I get the hypocrisy because of the Brock/Rock thing. But at the same time they came back and were more or less handed a top spot. Punk is starting from the ground up, he's not fighting for a title he just happens to be fighting in the biggest MMA promotion in the world.

It's like when John Frusciante left the Red Hot Chili Peppers to do his solo stuff. He wanted to do his own thing and he felt he couldn't do that in the Chili Peppers. Does him being the former guitarist of the RHCP help in the regard of getting his music out there. Of course but at the same time like Punk he's both starting from the ground up and isn't. Their previous work gives them a leg up in possibly getting some recognition but at the same time they're trying something different to what they're previously known for.

No, he is not a hypocrite. He didn't take the main event spot or anything. He is just going to be in some middle-card fight, which just happens to be the most important fight of the show because he is Cm Fkn Punk. If MMA fans don't want Punk, they can crap all over his match, I don't care what they do. I will only watch UFC for Punk's match and that is smart from Dana.

The comparison would be if Overeem or whoever is on top of UFC would come in and fight someone like Adrian Neville, once he is called up. NOTHING will happen. No spotlight will be taken from the main top stars. Both guys will have a minimal record on the main leagues and they will just get a midcard match, where it will be the highlight of the show, because Alistair Fkn Overeem will be competing in it. The WWEWHC match will still be there for the main stars.

Punk bitched about Batista, Rock, Lesnar coming back and taking the spotlight FROM THE MAIN EVENTERS WHO BUSTED THEIR ASSES TO GET TO THAT LEVEL. If Batista came back to fight for the US title, no one would give a fuck. If he came back now to stop Rusev, eventually winning the title after losing like 1-2 matches, no one would boo him. This is pretty much the same as Punk. Punk doesn't go in UFC for a title shot that someone more deservant would be worth it. He just goes in there to have a random midcard match. If he wins, then it was smart + successful. If he doesn't I guess he won't be getting more matches soon.

I don't understand your comparison, really. They are two completely different things. In pro wrestling, you show your skill, you bust your ass the entire year to get to the TOP OF THE CARD, then out of nowhere, some outsider comes in and takes your place. In UFC, Punk wouldn't steal anyone's TOP MATCH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back