Connecticut Voters Told Not To Wear WWE Merchendise To The Polls

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Over the past several days, I've read a few reports that election officials in Connecticut have informed voters not to wear WWE merchendise to the voting booths in the upcoming election. According to what's being said, nobody will be denied a right to vote, but some voters might be asked to cover up a shirt with a jacket or go home and change shirts. I'm assuming some might be asked to take off a cap if they're wearing one. I understand if some don't care about politics and I understand if some are just rolling their eyes as the whole Stand up for WWE thing. However, I find this ruling rather disturbing in something of a broader picture than the WWE.

I've seen people wear shirts while waiting to vote saying things like God created AIDS to cure gay people or that doctors that perform abortions are murderers and should have their own families killed and it's been perfectly alright. But if I lived in Connecticut and wore a Stone Cold Steve Austin shirt or a John Cena baseball cap to the polls, I'd be asked to take it off just because Linda McMahon is running for the Senate? That's bullshit in my opinion, regardless of what you might think of the WWE, Vince or Linda McMahon. If Michael Jordan decided to run for a position in the Illinois House of Representatives in a few years, does that mean you can't show up to the polls wearing a shirt with Jordan's Chicago Bulls number on it?

I've seen people wear shirts endorsing their candidate of choice to the polls, bumper stickers, those little buttons that some candidates make up to pin on your shirt and it's all acceptable, but people are being asked not to wear WWE merchendise on Election Day in CT? That's a crock of shit in my opinion.

I don't think it is a bad thing. I have read other posters on forums saying crap like they will only vote for Linda cuz of WWE or they will only NOT vote for her because of it (hoping for TV-14 to come back or something stupid). I really don't want any biased morons in my state voting for a future senator based on WWE. Not letting people wear WWE shirts might discourage at least a few idiotic voters from fucking up with my state senate and that is good enough for me.

Uh! What?

Let me get this straight, can I? Some people are telling voters that they are not allowed to vote if the wear WWE merchandise? That, surely, is a right that anyone can enjoy. Not only can you wear whatever you like as long as it is not overly offensive but you also have the right to vote.

Surely, this sounds like the biggest violation of rights the USA has seen in a while. I simply cannot get my head around the fact that you cannot wear a WWE T-Shirt because of what exactly? Because you might sway the votes of other people? That is fucking insane. People who turn up at polling station and have not already decided who they are going to vote for probably don't deserve a vote, to be honest.

If you are taking political advice from a piece of merchandise, then you are a god-damn moron and should just decline the right to vote. What an idiotic piece of information.

I'm with you, Jack. That is bullshit.

Well when you vote you're not allowed to wear clothing, buttons, etc endorsing a candidate or relating to a candidate. Since Linda is technically connected to the WWE no matter how much they are trying to distance themselves from the campaign technically it can be considered a tool to sway voters.

It doesn't seem like that big a deal. So you can't rock your John Cena t-shirt for an hour or two? The horror :)

Not only can you wear whatever you like as long as it is not overly offensive but you also have the right to vote.

People who turn up at polling station and have not already decided who they are going to vote for probably don't deserve a vote, to be honest.

:lmao:

Anyway, sorry about that. This makes me wonder if you can wear an OLD time WWF shirt, ooooh, or how about TNA, or a Hollywood Hogan shirt? How about a shirt of Dwayne Johnson, y'know, a Scorpion King shirt or something?

Hmm, I always wonder about technicalities like these...

I live in Connecticut and on November 2 I'm going to the polls and voting. I am undecided what shirt I'll be wearing, but Chris Benoits is the one i'm leaning towards now. Either his or Bret Harts. I hope someone tries to say something to me because I'll tell that democrat to get the hell out of my way and am here to vote.

So much for democracy, the whole thing is utterly stupid. What next you can't wear a tie to vote, because one of the candidates wears a tie too!?

Did they ban Hollywood t-shirts when Schwarzengger was elected due to his link with famous Hollywood movies?

If anything it just seems like they are trying to create a news piece out of nothing here. Either by a) banning the shirts and hope fans demostate only for them to call WWE fans hooligans b) fail in banning the shirts, lose the election and then have something to blame it on.

Linda should place a ban on stupid people voting on the basis the other candidate and his team are stupid. After all you can't vote if you are linked to the candidate in any way.......

I'm not that into politics, but from what I understand extreme hart has it correct.
Well when you vote you're not allowed to wear clothing, buttons, etc endorsing a candidate or relating to a candidate. Since Linda is technically connected to the WWE no matter how much they are trying to distance themselves from the campaign technically it can be considered a tool to sway voters.

It doesn't seem like that big a deal. So you can't rock your John Cena t-shirt for an hour or two? The horror :)

If it are not allowed to show up showing support for once person you are not allowed. Not only does this I think prevent and kind of debate at the polls but it could keep people from giving others shit. It is why they make sure no one else can see you when you vote.

People who are bitching about this are just being childish. Same with people who plan on showing up wearing WWE shirts demanding to vote. It would be like trying to get on a plane with a gun. Demanding it is OK cause of the 2nd amendment. Or like getting busted for weed even if you think it should be made legal. Just cause you don't agree with a law doesn't mean you don't have to follow it.

I love how WWE calls this "Un-American."

Yet, back in 98-00, WWE used to make people with WCW/nWo shirts turn them inside out or throw them out of the building. There HAVE been incidents where fans refused to turn their shirts inside out, and were kicked out of a PPV or RAW.

However, now it's "UN-AMERICAN" because it's happening to them!?

Just like how WCW "RAIDED" WWE guys, and it was a CRIME.

Yet when Vince took guys from the AWA, that was completely FINE.

News flash, California did this when Arnold ran for Gov. They didn't put any of his movies on TV until after the election was over, because they didn't want people to vote for the actor, but for the politician.

Same thing in Linda McMahon's case. They want to make sure people vote for the politician, and NOT the Wrestling Promoter.

Simple as that.

The thing is, those are two completely different situations.

The WWE wouldn't allow these shirts to be worn because they were 2 competing companies...it makes sense. Why would WWE wants signs and t-shirts of a company they are competing against showing up on TV?

Not to mention, now allowing somebody to go to a televised wrestling event is nowhere near UN AMERICAN....not allowing people to vote because of their clothing, especially if it is just a wrestling t-shirt, is completely against a persons rights as an American citizen....

so shush

I'm not that into politics, but from what I understand extreme hart has it correct.

If it are not allowed to show up showing support for once person you are not allowed. Not only does this I think prevent and kind of debate at the polls but it could keep people from giving others shit. It is why they make sure no one else can see you when you vote.

People who are bitching about this are just being childish. Same with people who plan on showing up wearing WWE shirts demanding to vote. It would be like trying to get on a plane with a gun. Demanding it is OK cause of the 2nd amendment. Or like getting busted for weed even if you think it should be made legal. Just cause you don't agree with a law doesn't mean you don't have to follow it.

Ya.....I can see the comparison between guns/weed and t-shirts...valid argument you have there.

And when was the law written stating that certain t-shirts cannot be worn to vote?

I've seen people wear shirts while waiting to vote saying things like God created AIDS to cure gay people or that doctors that perform abortions are murderers and should have their own families killed and it's been perfectly alright. But if I lived in Connecticut and wore a Stone Cold Steve Austin shirt or a John Cena baseball cap to the polls, I'd be asked to take it off just because Linda McMahon is running for the Senate? That's bullshit in my opinion, regardless of what you might think of the WWE, Vince or Linda McMahon.

Election rules. You're not allowed to wear anything that shows your affiliation to any candidate. I can see why the comparison annoys you because it's stupid but they're 2 different things really. Offensive t-shirts are protected under the banner of free speech because even though we know differently, they're not overtly political regarding sides. Affiliating yourself towards a candidate breaks rules on the privacy of the election and causes a social pressure on those around you to fit in. On the surface it does seem stupid but there is a point to it. I'd say it's violating your rights just as much as it's protecting them.

I've seen people wear shirts endorsing their candidate of choice to the polls, bumper stickers, those little buttons that some candidates make up to pin on your shirt and it's all acceptable, but people are being asked not to wear WWE merchendise on Election Day in CT? That's a crock of shit in my opinion.

Now that definitely isn't supposed to be allowed, at least certainly not inside the polling office. Outside it's another matter.

Ok so i get the whole idea of not advertising who your voting for. But here in nevada i voted early and there were clearly people in the parking lot trying to sway your vote. Tons of angle supporters especially. So if noone says anything when it happens in the parking lot, then isnt it completely hypocritical to ban shirts when there barely linkable to the candidate and sorry but almost noone is gonna get there vote swayed if your wearing an undertaker t-shirt. This is just more ******ed political nonsense from a major political party!

So let me get this straight, you have the right to bear arms, have an abortion but don't god-forbid wear a Randy Orton t-shirt to vote. You know really if someone changes their vote based on what t-shirt is wearing, maybe they shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Christ this couldn't get any worse. So much for first amendment rights.

And when was the law written stating that certain t-shirts cannot be worn to vote?

When you register to vote there are certain rules you must follow on election day depending on your state/city/ whatever.

Some states prohibit stickers, buttons, badges--anything that promotes a candidate. Other states focus on shirts, hats, etc. So yes, there are laws that clearly state what you can and cannot wear in polling places.

Again, it's not that big of deal. Do you really need a wwe t-shirt to vote for Linda McMahon??

When you register to vote there are certain rules you must follow on election day depending on your state/city/ whatever.

Some states prohibit stickers, buttons, badges--anything that promotes a candidate. Other states focus on shirts, hats, etc. So yes, there are laws that clearly state what you can and cannot wear in polling places.

Again, it's not that big of deal. Do you really need a wwe t-shirt to vote for Linda McMahon??

But it is that big of a deal, when there is a rule put in place to prevent it.

I can understand fully if their wearing a Linda McMahon shirt, sure that one is a huge seller, but to say that no WWE merchandise is acceptable is moving the goalposts just a tad.

What does a John Cena or Undertaker shirt have to do with voting in the state of Connecticut? All it says is that you do or have watched wrestling in the past.

Ya.....I can see the comparison between guns/weed and t-shirts...valid argument you have there.

True they are extremely different but when people here and other wrestling sites can't understand certain rules that are in place thing have to be taken to the extreme.

But it is that big of a deal, when there is a rule put in place to prevent it.

I can understand fully if their wearing a Linda McMahon shirt, sure that one is a huge seller, but to say that no WWE merchandise is acceptable is moving the goalposts just a tad.

What does a John Cena or Undertaker shirt have to do with voting in the state of Connecticut? All it says is that you do or have watched wrestling in the past.

It is not a big deal, but when people can't follow simple rules it becomes a big deal. When people rebel over wanting to wear a shirt it is completely childish and immature.

I want to start out by saying I'm a democrat and I would not vote Linda if I live in Connecticut, but I also think that you should be able to wear wwe merchandise do the polls. First off Linda is the former ceo of wwe meaning she no longer connected to the wwe ( was wearing texas rangers jersey banned at polls when Bush ran for president no ). And i find it offensive for people to basically say that because ur a wrestling fan that you are going to vote for linda. Like i said i would not vote for here if it was my decision. To Hunterxhunter20 when did become childish to stand up for your rights.

I question how many people working at polling stations would even know what a WWE shirt looks like. Seems like most of the people they get to work election day near my house are women in their 60s. Not exactly WWE's target demographic. They have a lot of shirts out there anyways that look more like Affliction shirts and that sort of style as opposed to the more traditional WWE T-shirts.

Anyways, its illegal in CT to campaign within 75 feet of a polling place. Linda might not technically be affiliated with WWE anymore, but to pretend that she still doesn't have close ties is absurd. I could see why the Republican campaign and Vince have their panties in a bunch over this while Linda's campaign seems to be fading, but its not an unreasonable request.

I can't wait until Linda loses the election.

1st Amendment anyone? This situation in CT is nothing new my friends. Our rights as Americans have been stripped time and time again over the years and as long as nobody is willing to stand up and fight, it will keep happening.

I live in Connecticut and on November 2 I'm going to the polls and voting. I am undecided what shirt I'll be wearing, but Chris Benoits is the one i'm leaning towards now. Either his or Bret Harts. I hope someone tries to say something to me because I'll tell that democrat to get the hell out of my way and am here to vote.

IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN. Here in Baltimore I was not allowed to wear a candidates shirt for the Democratic Primary. The election rules state in maryland that doing so is campaignin in the polling area which is against the law.

Most places have at least a 300 ft distance you must stay away from the polls if you are wearing a candidates shirt. And on the otherhand, a person from the other party can challenge the election and have votes thrown out if someone were to show up in another candidates shirt in the polls.

Contrary to what many of you think. The voting area is suppose to remain impartial or fair. Election judges can't wear anything with a candidate on them....

Check your local laws and talk to a law professor before you bitch !

HAHA this thread is officially garbage. Does anyone here actually know what they're talking about or just making up bullshit. Anyway, for the record Who really cares... Yeah I think its ridiculous you can't wear a WWE shirt but the truth is people still will and people will still bitch about this entire thing. But the total stupidity of some people on this site is just annoying.

I've had to put up reading ( the banned schwarteneger movies in CA when he was in election-(Not True at all). I've heard things such as advertising for a runnere is against a law within a set amouint of feet) (Not true) It's just ridiculous that when you are for against something you are automatically a genious.

The truth isPeople will do whatever thely want and honestly nobody will do anything- But on a factual note poll workers technically have no authority in anything.

I agree with the poster that said those who decide at the last minute who they'll vote for based on what somebody is wearing doesn't deserve to vote. It amuses me how I'm not allowed to wear a pin in when I vote because it may sway voters but meanwhile I can legally be bombarded by ralliers every step of the way to the door of the polling booth. Its all a big joke. Let's say candidate X used to play for the Red Sox, can I not wear my Sox cap or t-shirt to the polling place?

Really? Human rights? Losing freedoms? What? WHAT!?

Oh allow me to introduce myself. The names Freedom, a first time poster reading all of this ri-got-damn-DICK-ulous shit on what you guys call a thread.

Ok, so you can't wear a shirt or a dubbya-dubbya-EE pin. Dick move? I say only a little. Only a little because it IS against the "rules" to where anything in regards to what your affiliation will be at the election, and this has been the "rules of the road" for a while. Not because people are stupid enough to be swayed by a simple pin or logo (though I don't doubt the capacity for stupidity there). It's mainly because people are a whole different kind of stupid: you don't want to have tension or arguments between to sides on a day thats supposed to relatively easy-peasy votey dealy.

Now Linda has no "Formal" affiliations with the "E", but she's did just over two years ago and she's married to the friggin' owner and CEO of the company. Come guy...come on. If vince was any kind of husband at all, he would help his wife however he can, which he's doing. So I'll put it how the cretins will understand: Since Vince is tappin' that shit,it's safe to assume that the Mrs. is some form or fashion connect with the "E". The rule for election would have to apply.

I believe that when Ventura was goin' for governor, If he had merch from the "F" at the time, I'm pretty sure you couldn't wear it, and he wasnt "affiliated with the company during that time either.

And what ever Jackass compared this to losing rights and all that shit? right. I'm pretty sure the people of CT are feeling the sting having their "freedom of speech" taken away for the 1- 3.5 hours at the Polls. Hitler is truly upon us yet again with his magic murder bag and his multi cloner machine.

I wish I had mod power cuz this thread would be shut down faster then Cena in a 1995 ECW match.

There are laws against campaign material being in a voting both in most if not all states. The complaint may be that the Conn. Secretary of State created this rule and that it does not met the intent of the law. If someone wanted to appeal this rule before the election then they would have to ask the state Attorney General for an opinion. Blumenthal is the current AG so the McMahon campaign would probably not get the opinion they want. Would not be supprised if people are turned away and this results in a state judge having to make an election day decision.
I have a strong guess that there is internal polling from the Bluementhal campaign or Conn. Democrats that shows that being a wrestling fan means you are likely to support Linda McMahon. If their polling didn't show this then they would not want people that would vote Democratic to leave the precinct without voting. They may not come back. This seems to just be legal way to reduce a portion of the voter turnout from part of the electorate that the Democrats in Conn. don't want at the polls this year.

Reactions: PhD

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back