Did Eddie Murphy Make The Right Choice?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Eddie Murphy was supposed to host the Academy Awards show next year, but Murphy has stepped down as the host:

UPDATED: Only three months before the Oscars, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences and ABC are almost back to square one. Hours after Brett Ratner tendered his resignation as Oscar producer in the fallout of racy-bordering-on-vulgar public comments and the use of an anti-gay slur, Eddie Murphy has stepped down as host. The move is not entirely unexpected given that Ratner was the one who brought in his Tower Heist star Murphy, and Deadline noted that Ratner’s exit Tuesday gave Murphy the perfect chance to bow out. But it still gives the Academy a big headache having to replace a producer and now a host only three months before the February 26 Academy Awards ceremony. On the other hand, Murphy’s acceptance of the gig was abnormally early. With the two departures, the only key member of the creative team remaining in place is veteran TV producer Don Mischer, who had been originally paired with Ratner. As for potential replacements, Brian Grazer, who produced Tower Heist, is being rumored as a candidate to succeed Ratner. Here is AMPAS’ statement on Murphy’s departure:

Beverly Hills, CA – Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak announced that Eddie Murphy has withdrawn as host of the 84th Academy Awards. “I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well,” said Sherak.

Commented Murphy, “First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party’s decision with regard to a change of producers for this year’s Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.”

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/oscars-eddie-murphy-exits-as-host/

There's more to this story, so I'll try to give a brief summary of what's been going on lately.

Apparently, and this is something I just recently found out myself, Eddie Murphy and Brett Ratner have become best buddies, and Ratner worships the ground Murphy walks on, and Murphy's work in the 80's (Beverly Hills Cop, 48 HRS.) inspired Ratner's Rush Hour films. Ratner was supposed to be the producer for next year's Oscars, but Brett took a lot of heat for some comments he made, as he was trying to promote Tower Heist. Ratner used a homophobic slur, and for some asinine reason, he decided to describe his sex life in graphic detail, while making an appearance on Attack Of The Show and The Howard Stern Show. I guess Ratner wanted to be cool and hip, but his idiocy put the Academy in a tough spot, and Ratner decided to hand in his resignation. But Brian Grazer has replaced Ratner as producer for the Oscars, so they don't have to worry about that problem anymore. The Academy was hoping for Murphy to stay on as host, but Murphy decided to step down.

If you want to know more about Ratner's praises for Murphy, you can read this article: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/brett-ratner-id-make-anything-eddie-murphy-32523

If you want to know more about Ratner's exit from next year's show, you can read this article: http://www.thewrap.com/awards/column-post/oscar-shocker-brett-ratner-resigns-producer-telecast-32594

Obviously, Murphy is showing some strong signs of loyalty here. Ratner wants to work with Murphy on more films in the future, and Ratner was the director for Tower Heist. Tower Heist has seen its fair share of positive reviews, and unlike so many of Murphy's recent box office failures, this film hasn't turned into a tremendous flop. I haven't seen this film just yet, but Tower Heist has received a good amount of praise as a solid comedy, and Eddie Murphy's performance has been the highlight of many reviews. Tower Heist is having a decent enough run at the box office, some critics have fallen in love with the "old school" version of Murphy, so this could be the beginning of a comeback.

I've followed Murphy's career for a long time. His work in the 80's was hilarious, and I will always love Raw, because Murphy was in top form during this stand-up special. But the 80's really were the golden age for Murphy, because he has long list of shit films in the 90's, and the past ten years haven't been any better. His career has been in a slump for quite some time, and I was excited, when I read all of the favorable praises for Tower Heist, because I thought Murphy had finally found that spark again. Murphy really could use a good comeback, and Tower Heist could be that one film that jump starts his career again......but I'm not too sure about this new found friendship/partnership with Ratner. I enjoyed the first Rush Hour film, but I've always thought Brett Ratner was a shit director. Ratner does have something to brag about, when it comes to Rush Hour, but the majority of his career is filled with stinkers. Murphy is a talented comedian, but he is still trying to dig him self out of a deep hole, because he's going to need a lot of help, if he wants everyone to forget about the garbage he's starred in over the years.

I think Eddie needs all the help he can get, if he wants to pursue a successful comeback. Tower Heist could give him a fresh start, and hosting the Oscars could've helped him out a lot more. The Oscars are watched by millions, hosting the show could've given Murphy some much needed mainstream exposure, and the Oscars could've provided a great platform for him. Yeah, I can understand the loyalty factor here. Ratner directed Tower Heist, he's a fan of Murphy's work, and he wants to work with Murphy in the future. Brett has proudly voiced his praises for Murphy, so Eddie wants to stand with his new best friend during this messy controversy. Still, I don't like this choice. Murphy is starting to build some momentum, and he can't just live off of name value anymore, because Murphy's legacy has taken a hard hit over the years, and his films have become embarrassing box office flops. Hosting the Oscars could've helped him, so I don't think he made the right move here.

Also, I'll probably never meet Murphy in person, but if I had the chance, I would just ask him one question....WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT TO WORK WITH BRETT RATNER ON MORE FILMS IN THE FUTURE? Have you seen his other films(excluding Rush Hour)? Hell, if you're going to become buddies with a shit Hollywood director, just pick Michael Bay for fuck's sake. Yes. I know, Murphy is a comedy guy, and Bay specializes in making flashy and shitty Hollywood blockbusters, but I'm sure they could work something out. At least Bay's films always gain a ton of attention, and the majority of Bay's films are box office hits. But no, Murphy has to pick Brett freakin' Ratner....ugh. I want to support you Eddie. Really, I do, but you just make it so hard sometimes.

What are your thoughts?

We don't really know whether it's a result of Murphy's loyalty to Ratner, or whether Ratner has asked his friend not to host the show, right? It seems logical to presume the loyalty thing, but who knows? Of course, if Rather asked Eddie not to host the show just to support him, then shame on Ratner.

As for Eddie Murphy, I think the "Tower Heist" movie might be just the film for him. For too long, he played in "star" vehicles in which he was not just the leading character, but essentially the only character. Consider old time stuff like "The Golden Child" and "A Vampire in Brooklyn." They were all Eddie Murphy and if you didn't care for the character he portrayed, there was nothing else in the film to like.

Also, he lacks range as an actor, imo. He was fine as Axel Foley; the street-smart, wisecracking hero who was essentially a perfect human being. The problem was that he was the same exact character in "The Golden Child," "Boomerang" and "Harlem Nights." After a long time of the same old thing, I think people got tired of him. It's not that these were bad films (some were!) but without versatility, people turn away from an actor over the years.

Additionally, in spite of all his leading roles, I see Murphy the same as guys like Ryan Reynolds and Wesley Snipes; good supporting actors who are thrust into leading man parts. I'll be interested in "Tower Heist" because Eddie has an accomplished cast around him for one of the first times. I'll bet we like him better as an important cog in the movie......rather than being the whole film himself.

But I agree with Mitch; Eddie Murphy should host the Oscars; it would give him a chance to interact directly with the audience, which is what made him famous in the first place during his stand-up comedy days.

To be fair to Rattner, he was simply retaliating against comments made by former AOTS cohost and all-around hottie Olivia (Lisa) Munn...She accused him of eating shrimp and *********ing at the same time (they had a fling years ago, supposedly) in his trailer, and made fun of his...stature. Rattner was simply lashing back at her. It's not trying to be cool and hip, he was just being a guy who found out his ex was talking shit about him, and was talking shit back. Something we have all done. Can't really blame the guy. Yeah, he comes across as a douchebag, but given the trash Olivia (Lisa) Munn was saying, I think it's probably excusable.

I can't say for sure. I just checked on wikipedia to look at the history of the Academy Awards and it says that Billy Crystal's now got the gig. I was really looking forward to to seeing if Eddie Murphy still had what it took to bring a room to tears through laughing too hard, but I'm fine with Crystal. He hasn't hosted in eight years and, besides Steve Martin and Hugh Jackman, everyone else since 2003 has pretty much sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back