Did Kevin Nash book himself to end the streak?

justtxyank

Championship Contender
I've heard people say this and it seems like it is accepted as fact on the internet. However, Nash has denied it. In his shoot he claims to have his first paystub that indicates he was involved in creative (not sure how he worded) and says he didn't become involved in creative until about 6 weeks after the Starrcade match.

So, does anyone have something definitive on this? Other than a random internet wrestling writer who claims to know?

For what it's worth, Nash's shoot blasts Goldberg pretty hard. He claims Goldberg told Nash's kid the he was going to kick Nash's @$$, that Goldberg took himself way too seriously, etc.

He did and didn't. He wasn't the official booker at Starrcade 1998 BUT it's no secret Hall and Nash had considerable leverage with Bischoff. I would have no problem believing Nash had Bischoff's ear when it came to finish at Starrcade 1998.

Kevin Sullivan is even on record as saying someone or some people were in Bischoff's ear when it came to ending Goldberg's streak. For the record Sullivan was STRONGLY against ending Goldberg's streak. He said when it was brought up he said " We did a million dollar gate" why would you want to beat him?!?" It was horseshit. They wanted to kill him." It was the thing that killed him.

I agree 100% with this assessment. Everyone knew Goldberg was the man in WCW. The NWO was dead. And they beat him like a job guy. He never got his rebuttal for the beatdown at Nitro the next night.

Nash pushed Hogan, Flair, Savage, DDP, they brought in Sid, they turned Hogan babyface. Goldberg was as over as ever in '99 and they just used him to get Hogan over.

I honestly wouldn't have had a problem with Nash beating Goldberg if the time was right for Goldberg to lose. The time wasn't right for Goldberg to lose. Now did Nash book that, I don't have a clue. But I wouldn't put it past him. I mean this is the same guy who claimed he had a heart attack to get out of doing a job for The Giant at Starrcade 97. This is the same guy who,along with his partner,went to Bischoff and told him that losing the tag team titles to the Steiners would hurt the drawing power of the belts. This mind you was after Hall and Nash had tormented the Steiners for the majority of the year and included them running the Steiners off the road. So I wouldn't put it past Nash to have booked himself to end the streak.

Nash was basically put into the booking position on or around that time. Sullivan doesn't like admitting he got booted from the position. For a period Nash was the official booker but immediately got heat for ending Goldberg's streak... not so much for him ending it but the fingerpoke stuff...

On paper Nash was a good choice to end the win streak of Goldberg, he was as physically imposing if not more so and had the "wilyness" to make it work but dropping it to Hogan in the manner he did just shat all over Goldberg and the streak to begin with. It wasn't even Dusty booking, it was Hogan booking and straight away it ruined any legit claim Kev had to the job (which was not inconsiderable) by making it clear Hogan was really calling the shots.

The booking wasn't that bad for this night, but they made the huge mistake of Nash basically giving the belt away and then having Goldberg never win the title back. Goldberg should've been a mad man with one goal and he shouldn't have lost again until he was world heavyweight champion yet again, but Goldberg wasn't booked that way and it was a bigger mistake imo than putting the belt on Russo, Arquette(sp?), or the fingerpoke of doom

OP obviously watched my video on YouTube...

There was plans for Kevin Nash to face Goldberg for the title prior to Nash even getting on the booking committee. Nash always had a degree of power because of how successful he was furthermore it helped that Nash was extremely articulate & intimidating (according to Scott Hall he was the only guy who would disagree with Nash & everybody else was afraid to because of how big was).

Nash became a member of the WCW booking committee replacing Hulk Hogan (who took one of his little sabbaticals) alongside Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor. Nash's first booking meeting was on November 23rd, 1998 during which the other members of the booking committee proposed the idea to Nash that they hot-shot a match later that night on Nitro where Nash would beat Goldberg for the WCW Title. Nash asked if they had learned anything from the Goldberg–Hogan match, which drew a monster rating but didn’t lead to any sustained ratings success & consequently turned down the proposal.

The booking committee of Kevin Nash, Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor with approval from WCW President Eric Bischoff ultimately collectively decided that Goldberg's streak should end.

Kevin Nash didn't become head booker until early February 1999, when a burnt out Eric Bischoff took his daughter to France on vacation.

I can back up everything I've stated with credible sources.

FTR I believe Nash ending the streak was the correct decision. I could write extensively about this subject & why it was the correct the decision but I'll just quote Scott Hall (one of the smartest minds in the business) when he said in regards to Goldberg's streak "after you squash everybody your run is over".

Oh yeah one last thing...NOBODY at the time was a better choice to end the streak other than Kevin Nash with Scott Steiner a distant second. I say this because I've read some ridiculous suggestions over the years in regards to this subject.

Well as te late great Gorilla Monsoon would say " It's the irresistible force meets the immovable object". The match looked great on paper tbh but as other people have stated the streak shouldn't of ended so early and the way the match ended was shocking with the tazer which sucked the match should of happened a few months later maybe sometime like superbrawl Goldberg lost momentum after this and never got back on top and the fact that Nash lost the title a few days later to hogan was terrible ffs what did this prove this is what I hated about wcw. If they would of done things better and properly they could of carried on going toe to toe with vince and the wwf.

There was plans for Kevin Nash to face Goldberg for the title prior to Nash even getting on the booking committee. Nash always had a degree of power because of how successful he was furthermore it helped that Nash was extremely articulate & intimidating (according to Scott Hall he was the only guy who would disagree with Nash & everybody else was afraid to because of how big was).

Nash became a member of the WCW booking committee replacing Hulk Hogan (who took one of his little sabbaticals) alongside Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor. Nash's first booking meeting was on November 23rd, 1998 during which the other members of the booking committee proposed the idea to Nash that they hot-shot a match later that night on Nitro where Nash would beat Goldberg for the WCW Title. Nash asked if they had learned anything from the Goldberg–Hogan match, which drew a monster rating but didn’t lead to any sustained ratings success & consequently turned down the proposal.

The booking committee of Kevin Nash, Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor with approval from WCW President Eric Bischoff ultimately collectively decided that Goldberg's streak should end.

Kevin Nash didn't become head booker until early February 1999, when a burnt out Eric Bischoff took his daughter to France on vacation.

FTR I believe Nash ending the streak was the correct decision. I could write extensively about this subject & why it was the correct the decision but I'll just quote Scott Hall (one of the smartest minds in the business) when he said in regards to Goldberg's streak "after you squash everybody your run is over".

Oh yeah one last thing...NOBODY at the time was a better choice to end the streak other than Kevin Nash with Scott Steiner a distant second. I say this because I've read some ridiculous suggestions over the years in regards to this subject.

Whether it was a good idea for Nash to be the man to end the streak or not, it was a huge mistake to do it the way that they did. Essentially, within 24 hours they made a joke of something they had taken several months to build. The company was already going downhill but they just stepped on the gas and fell asleep at this point. Nash was about as bad a booker as Hogan was and as for Hall being one of the best minds in the business, I greatly disagree with that statement as well. I think there are many people who are better than Hall, Nash and Hogan.

Who knows for sure? I always heard he was either booking or working with creative at that point but this is wrestling, you rarely hear the truth. As for why he was booked to win, I can kind of see why. Goldberg is champ but still very green. How long can you leave the belt on him? And with a lot of faces, the chasing the belt is more successful than the actual title run. I think they should have held out a little longer before they did it but ultimately he had to lose sometime. I don't see them letting him lose to a newer guy so there were only a few that made sense. I think had the booked a decent follow up to it, things would have been different - have him tearing through people saying how he got screwed out of the title and is getting screwed now but he is going to get back what was his. That seemed to be the biggest issue in WCW - they would have angles with the nWo that had great buildup but then they would blow it off in like 3 weeks and the nWo would be back on top.

Whether it was a good idea for Nash to be the man to end the streak or not, it was a huge mistake to do it the way that they did. Essentially, within 24 hours they made a joke of something they had taken several months to build. The company was already going downhill but they just stepped on the gas and fell asleep at this point. Nash was about as bad a booker as Hogan was and as for Hall being one of the best minds in the business, I greatly disagree with that statement as well. I think there are many people who are better than Hall, Nash and Hogan.

It's only a mistake in your opinion with benefit of hindsight. I disagree it was a mistake. They never made a joke out of anything.

The company wasn't going downhill at this point. I'm tired of people like you stating things that I know for a fact are incorrect. I have numbers (live event attendance, gate receipts, TV ratings, PPV buyrates) & business actually went up after Kevin Nash ended the streak. I can back what I say with facts, figures & analysis so unless you also I suggest you stop making BS up off the top of your head.

Hulk Hogan was never head booker like Kevin Nash.

It's easy to sit & criticise Kevin Nash as a booker without looking at the circumstances that he had to book under such as booking without the star power of various top stars for extended periods of time e.g. Lex Luger (torn bicep), Scott Hall (personal problems), Hollywood Hogan (knee surgery), Bret Hart (bereavement leave), Goldberg (knee surgery/movie commitment/contract dispute), Scott Steiner (back & shoulder injuries). Nash was also handicapped by standards & practices & therefore unable to compete with the raunchy WWF Attitude content. As Eric Bischoff stated:

"Kevin stepped up. He’d always been pretty creative, and he was the best person we had internally for the job. He also had to work under all of the ridiculous restrictions handed down from above, which made his job even harder."

Listen kid, I'm telling you Scott Hall is one of the smartest minds in the business. You don't follow the business closely enough & extensively enough to tell me different. I mean it's common knowledge in the industry how smart Scott Hall is when it comes to pro wrestling. The likes of Kevin Sullivan (another guy who is one of the smartest minds in the business), Jim Ross, Eric Bischoff etc. have all went on record on how much of a brilliant pro wrestling mind Scott Hall is. Stone Cold Steve Austin was even talking about Scott Hall's brilliant mind on his podcast the other day & said he had to get Scott Hall back on again for a 3rd time.

Do yourself a favour kid, I subscribe to PW Torch & listen to Wade Keller conduct a 4 hour (or something along those lines) interview with Scott Hall who he just had to interview because of all the great thing he heard people saying about him or go watch a Scott Hall shoot interview but bottom line just get a clue please & stop embarrassing yourself & insulting my knowledge in the process.

It's only a mistake in your opinion with benefit of hindsight. I disagree it was a mistake. They never made a joke out of anything.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life. What the hell are you talking about??? Hindsight has nothing to do with it. The way the streak ended is one of the most idiotic things in the history of TELEVISION, not just pro wrestling, and everybody recognized that fact immediately as it happened. Ending Goldberg's streak should've been one of the biggest moments in the history of pro wrestling, something talked about for generations, and they crapped all over it.

The company wasn't going downhill at this point. I'm tired of people like you stating things that I know for a fact are incorrect. I have numbers (live event attendance, gate receipts, TV ratings, PPV buyrates) & business actually went up after Kevin Nash ended the streak. I can back what I say with facts, figures & analysis so unless you also I suggest you stop making BS up off the top of your head.

Were you even alive in this time period? The company was definitively in a decline by this point, that's an indisputable fact. You obviously have no numbers whatsoever, or if you do, you've never once looked at them...again, this indicates a strong possibility you were either not alive during this time period or far too young to have any idea what was happening. That, or just not very smart. You can decide. In either case, no, business did not go up after Nash ended the streak. It temporarily leveled off, again it had been in a decline up for some time until that point, but the drop continued shortly after. Though, admittedly, the streak ending wasn't the only reason...we all know about the fingerpoke of doom that happened 8 days later, which was infinitely more stupid than ending the streak with a taser. Two of the most moronic events in the history of entertainment just 8 days apart, it's no surprise that WCW died not long after.

Pro tip: if you're this ignorant on a subject, it's best just to stay out of it.

In response to the OP, if you're looking for something beyond random Internet writers making stuff up as they go along(like this clown I quoted), you're not going to find it here or anywhere else on the Internet. And good luck getting the truth out of those who were involved in the decision making process, for that matter. Everybody has an agenda. But regardless of who had the final say, obviously Nash agreed to end the streak and obviously he wasn't the only person involved in the decision...anything else is just semantics, really. We should be more concerned with who the hell thought of using a taser gun and, more importantly, who the hell came up with the finger poke of doom.

I know around this time Nash was in fact the head booker and if he didn't outright book himself to beat Goldberg he definitely got in someones ear to book it. What Nash was trying to do ultimately made sense and I understood why he was so adament about getting the streak off Goldberg (as in the long run the streak is a dead end) but it was executed horribly.

According to Nash the whole idea of him beating Goldberg and the fingerpoke of doom was to get the nWo back to a core of big names so Goldberg could go through all of them and finally end the nWo once and for all but Goldberg punched through a window, fucked his arm up at blew the whole angle. In theory its not a bad idea I think Nash over valued the nWo (and himself) at the time and didn't realize how much backlash would come from doing the fingerpoke of doom (although literally handing the title to Hogan and making Goldberg look like a rapist should have been a big red flag in retrospect). In all fairness it did spike ratings for a few weeks, but it didn't take long for people to say "same old shit! What's on WWE?".

I remember reading on this site in 1999 that Nash didnt get booking control till AFTER Starrcade, in fact back then it was reported he pushed initially for Flair to beat Hogan at SuperBrawl but Hogan nixed it.

Goldberg was totally under utilized as champ, taking a back seat to Hogan in the July, Aug, & Sept 98 PPVs despite being World Champ. Even when he finally got top billing in Oct Halloween Havoc PPV it was a double main event with Hogan-Warrior. Im not sure how much Nash had to do with that, gut feeling that was Hogan.

Ending The Streak, re uniting the real NWO, eliminating the mid carders and jobbers and pairing down the size, re emphasizing them as killer heels like they were in 97, all this was good booking. Sting, Luger, & Hart were all out injured but Goldberg & Flair were red hot. WCW, wether it be Nash, Hogan, or Bischoff or some combination there of, totally wasted that incredible momentum, embarrassing Flair, turning him heel, and making him a mental patient, took Goldberg out of the main event altogether, no full fledged fued vs Nash, no re match vs Hogan, he was a mid carder by Feb 99. And the NWO, right when they were gaining steam again they split them up, Hogan turned face and surprise when he needed time off for knee surgery Nash (now Booking) became champ again.

Sting, nothing, Hart did less, it still amazes me how good WCW Was right after Starrcade and how bad it was after SuperBrawl two months later. WCW should have kicked WWE'S A*@ but instead they faded. Much of that happened, all the wasted potential, on Nash watch, but again to be far its hard to say how much power he had with Hogan around.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life. What the hell are you talking about??? Hindsight has nothing to do with it. The way the streak ended is one of the most idiotic things in the history of TELEVISION, not just pro wrestling, and everybody recognized that fact immediately as it happened. Ending Goldberg's streak should've been one of the biggest moments in the history of pro wrestling, something talked about for generations, and they crapped all over it.

Were you even alive in this time period? The company was definitively in a decline by this point, that's an indisputable fact. You obviously have no numbers whatsoever, or if you do, you've never once looked at them...again, this indicates a strong possibility you were either not alive during this time period or far too young to have any idea what was happening. That, or just not very smart. You can decide. In either case, no, business did not go up after Nash ended the streak. It temporarily leveled off, again it had been in a decline up for some time until that point, but the drop continued shortly after. Though, admittedly, the streak ending wasn't the only reason...we all know about the fingerpoke of doom that happened 8 days later, which was infinitely more stupid than ending the streak with a taser. Two of the most moronic events in the history of entertainment just 8 days apart, it's no surprise that WCW died not long after.

Pro tip: if you're this ignorant on a subject, it's best just to stay out of it.

In response to the OP, if you're looking for something beyond random Internet writers making stuff up as they go along(like this clown I quoted), you're not going to find it here or anywhere else on the Internet. And good luck getting the truth out of those who were involved in the decision making process, for that matter. Everybody has an agenda. But regardless of who had the final say, obviously Nash agreed to end the streak and obviously he wasn't the only person involved in the decision...anything else is just semantics, really. We should be more concerned with who the hell thought of using a taser gun and, more importantly, who the hell came up with the finger poke of doom.

OMG another FN.... The way the streak ended was not idiotic. The streak wasn't ended on TELEVISION you fool, it was on PPV. To claim that it was one of the most idiotic things in history of TELEVISION is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read on here. I know what the perception among insiders & fans was at the time & it isn't what you claim because not only did I live it but I also have all the newsletters from Dave Meltzer & Wade Keller & magazines like Powerslam furthermore there is a little thing called the internet today to do research.

Goldberg's streak is still talked about today...you're talking about it now. It's been a polarising topic since it happened you stupid little boy.

The company was not in decline at that point. Like I said I've researched the numbers extensively (something you have not done). Here is some of the basics even someone as naïve as you should be able to comprehend...

1998 was the most successful year in WCW history & they made aprox. $55 million in profit.

Starrcade 1998 drew a 1.15 PPV buyrate (joint 3rd highest PPV buyrate in WCW history alongside WCW SuperBrawl 1999 which took place two months later & only drew 0.06 less of a PPV buyrate then WWF St. Valentines Day Massacre that same month headlined by Vince McMahon vs. Steve Austin).

WCW Monday Nitro monthly average rating:

Jul 97 - 3.43
Aug 97 - 4.30
Sep 97 - 4.14
Oct 97 - 4.15
Nov 97 - 4.07
Dec 97 - 4.06
Jan 98 - 4.52
Feb 98 - 4.80
Mar 98 - 4.66
Apr 98 - 4.63
May 98 - 4.00
Jun 98 - 4.00
Jul 98 - 4.67
Aug 98 - 4.98
Sep 98 - 4.62
Oct 98 - 4.65
Nov 98 - 4.24
Dec 98 - 4.25
Jan 99 - 4.85
Feb 99 - 4.68
Mar 99 - 4.05
Apr 99 - 4.17
May 99 - 3.40
Jun 99 - 3.30

From Aug 97 to Apr 99 WCW Monday Nitro's monthly average rating drew a 4.0 or above. The drastic decrease in ratings did not occur until May 99.

Average rating for WCW Monday Nitro in 1998 was a 4.43. Average rating for WCW Monday Nitro during first 4 months of 99 was a 4.45.

Jan 99 was the 2nd best ratings month in WCW Monday Nitro history with a 4.85 average rating & Feb 99 was the 4th best ratings months in WCW Monday Nitro history with a 4.68 average rating. It's worth nothing the Feb 8, 99 unopposed edition of WCW Monday Nitro drew a 5.7 rating which was 2nd highest rating NITRO ever drew in the history of the show.

Below I've compared WCW Monday Nitro ratings for last 2 months (Nov/Dec 98) prior to Goldberg's streak ending & first 2 months (Jan/Feb 99) after Goldberg streak ended.

2 Nov 98 (4.1) - 4 Jan 99 (5.0)
9 Nov 98 (4.1) - 11 Jan 99 (5.0)
16 Nov 98 (4.3) - 18 Jan 99 (4.4)
23 Nov 98 (4.5) - 25 Jan 99 (5.0)
30 Nov 98 (4.2) - 1 Feb 99 (4.7)
7 Dec 98 (4.2) - 8 Feb 99 (5.7)
14 Dec 98 (4.2) - 15 Feb 99 (3.9)
21 Dec 98 (4.0) - 22 Feb 99 (4.8)
28 Dec 98 (4.6) - 29 Feb 99 (4.3)

Results indicate ratings were better 7 out of 9 weeks after Goldberg's streak ended. Average rating for WCW Monday Nitro in Nov/Dec 98 was a 4.24 while average rating in Jan/Feb 99 was a 4.75 meaning the average rating increased 0.51 after Goldberg's streak ended.

As Eric Bischoff stated "The real turning point for WCW came in August 1998, when I lost control of my company and its future. But even by the end of the year, you couldn’t see it in the ratings. You couldn’t see it in the financial books. You couldn’t tell by the number of people coming to events. But our fate had been sealed. There were people at a very high level in the Turner/Time Warner organization who absolutely did not want WCW to succeed. They did everything they could, from early 1998, to lay the groundwork for WCW’s failure, so they could get WCW off the books. They couldn’t do that when Ted Turner was in firm control, but by now his grip had slipped. They couldn’t attack WCW directly, either. They had to play the corporate game, waiting until the time was right."

What Eric Bischoff is referring to is a combination of a lack of support from Time Warner (due to Ted Turner's decreased influence), corporate sabotage from people who had never wanted WCW (Turner Broadcasting's redheaded stepchild) to be successful in the first place, being handcuffed creatively by standards & practices & therefore being unable to compete with raunchy WWF Attitude content, introduction of *EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization) etc.

The corporate sabotage had begun in August 1998 but it took until Spring 1999 (which all true insiders know is the beginning of the downfall) for it start taking effect.

Finger Poke of Doom wasn't bad either & I've covered this extensively on YouTube. I'm tired of having to dumb myself down to your level...

Get a clue you absolute FN.....

Yeah WCW was doing fine in 1998, it's just that WWF finally caught up and finally surpassed Nitro by 1998's end. It was 1999 where things started it's downward spiral.

Regarding if Nash did book himself to End the Streak. There are reports that claim and support that.

For it
- Goldberg when being interviewed in the WCW DVD never did say it exactly but he did imply Nash had some responsibility in ending the streak or, at least, cooling off Goldberg's push at that period.

- I believe Nash's contract meant he had full creative control over his character. So he may not have been the main booker by Starcade but his contract allowed him to influence the booking of the show as it relates to his character.

Against it

- Nash did a shoot saying to why would he go and book himself with beating Goldberg and ending his streak with the Tazer and the Finger Poke of Doom when he was in the middle of the face run. He claimed he was in the middle of a huge face run and one of the most over faces in the company at the time. Looking at the crowd reaction of Starcade and Monday Night Nitro at the time, he was right, he had huge pops from the live audience. So beating Goldberg the way he did and the Finger Poke of Doom would make no sense if Nash wanted to secure his position as one of the top faces. For one he cheated to beat the top guy in the company at the time, secondly he went from being the leader of the Wolfpac to playing second fiddle to Hogan after the Finger Poke of Doom. Thus halting his face push and back as somewhat of a lackey heel. If I was Nash I would rather be a top face then the 2nd member of the NWO standing behind Hogan's shadow.

- People did also claim that the one actually pulling the strings was Hogan. I believe Hogan did agree to drop the title to Goldberg provided he can win it back from him afterwards (reportedly Starcade). Perhaps it was Hogan who was in the booker's/creative's ear when they planned the Starcade finish and Finger Poke of Doom. I mean I am sure Nash had full creative control over his character, but so did Hogan. Between Nash and Hogan I am sure Hogan had more pull backstage than Nash. Plus if reports are right Hogan and Nash aren't exactly buddy buddy despite forming the nWo, apparently there were tension between the two in WCW (backstage egos).

It's easy to sit & criticise Kevin Nash as a booker without looking at the circumstances that he had to book under such as booking without the star power of various top stars for extended periods of time e.g. Lex Luger (torn bicep), Scott Hall (personal problems), Hollywood Hogan (knee surgery), Bret Hart (bereavement leave), Goldberg (knee surgery/movie commitment/contract dispute), Scott Steiner (back & shoulder injuries). Nash was also handicapped by standards & practices & therefore unable to compete with the raunchy WWF Attitude content. As Eric Bischoff stated:

"Kevin stepped up. He’d always been pretty creative, and he was the best person we had internally for the job. He also had to work under all of the ridiculous restrictions handed down from above, which made his job even harder."

Listen kid, I'm telling you Scott Hall is one of the smartest minds in the business. You don't follow the business closely enough & extensively enough to tell me different. I mean it's common knowledge in the industry how smart Scott Hall is when it comes to pro wrestling. The likes of Kevin Sullivan (another guy who is one of the smartest minds in the business), Jim Ross, Eric Bischoff etc. have all went on record on how much of a brilliant pro wrestling mind Scott Hall is. Stone Cold Steve Austin was even talking about Scott Hall's brilliant mind on his podcast the other day & said he had to get Scott Hall back on again for a 3rd time.

Do yourself a favour kid, I subscribe to PW Torch & listen to Wade Keller conduct a 4 hour (or something along those lines) interview with Scott Hall who he just had to interview because of all the great thing he heard people saying about him or go watch a Scott Hall shoot interview but bottom line just get a clue please & stop embarrassing yourself & insulting my knowledge in the process.

I am not a kid, you frickin moron. You think you know it all, good for you. WCW will always be my favorite wrestling promotion. I lived the highs and lows of the company, so whether you like it or not, that gives me all the credibility I need for a forum such as this. I don't care what "evidence" you claim to have. Your evidence does nothing to change my opinion. Nash was a huge flop as head booker, make any excuse you want for why or who's fault it is. It really doesn't matter, if he was crippled by political stuff that handcuffed him into being a failure that is too damn bad. It doesn't change the fact that he was a failure. Goldberg was the biggest thing they had in that company and THE WAY they ended the streak was a huge mistake. Maybe you are right, maybe business didn't go downhill the next day but to say that had nothing to do with it is downright foolish. They buried their top guy and it was just to massage the huge ego of Kevin Nash. Congrats to him, he won a scripted match and contributed to killing a company. Nash was a great performer and he entertained the hell out of me but he did a lot that contributed to the downfall of WCW. If you want to make the excuse of the injuries and absences of top stars, you are ignoring his biggest failure which was the ability to build up and establish new stars.

As for Scott Hall, I will always remember him as a case of what could have been had he been able to get out of his own way. His charisma, style, ability in the ring, look, and everything were just amazing. I do agree that he had or has a great mind for the business but it just is not one of the best and you won't convince me otherwise. Honestly, if we was stronger mentally, he would have overcome his demons and become a multi time champ, going down in history as one of the best ever. Everything the Rock had Hall had and Hall was the better worker. He couldn't get out of his own way though and what ultimately stopped Scott Hall was Scott Hall.

Let me help you out man, I will just list a bunch of names off the top of my head that have much better heads for the business than Hall or Nash. Jim Ross, Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff, Triple H, Michael Hayes. I could keep going but that should be enough to make my point. Kev and Scott don't need you apologizing for their failures.

Great quote by Hall, true too. Seriously, people complaining about it ending early would have been complaining about watching him squash the same guys over & over again. Nitros ratings wouldnt have improved had it continued. Fans were already getting tired of it. I do believe however that Bret Hart would have made a great choice to end it if not Nash.

Let me help you out man, I will just list a bunch of names off the top of my head that have much better heads for the business than Hall or Nash. Jim Ross, Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff, Triple H, Michael Hayes. I could keep going but that should be enough to make my point. Kev and Scott don't need you apologizing for their failures.

Last time I'm dumbing myself down to your level...

Jim Ross & Vince McMahon are smart sure but are they going to tell Scott Hall how to put together a match? No.

To quote Jim Ross "Scott Hall is just a wonderful wrestling mind".

Eric Bischoff smarter about pro wrestling than Scott Hall? SMH get a clue. Eric Bischoff may be smart about TV production but pro wrestling booking in comparison to Scott Hall? No.

To quote Eric Bischoff "Scott Hall was one of the most talented, creative people I've ever known in the wrestling business. When his head was on straight, he was an extremely creative guy."

Triple H? a guy Scott Hall taught & invited into the Kliq...

Michael Hayes is smart but smarter then Scott Hall? neither of us can say for a fact.

You're a clueless idiot kid.

The first shoot interviews he did he would say he didn't. Then recently he said yes due to being as over as Goldberg was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6IOleloKUg. Start about 2 minutes in.

You know he was CLEARLY being sarcastic. He's saying Suuuuure I booked me over Goldberg, then booked hogan with the poke 8 days later. That makes sense, he'll of a run. He likely had some input but he was not in charge until after.

Of course he did.
He's a slick talker...says how he didnt do it for himself and that he turned around and dropped it to Hogan anyway.
Whatever...I like Nash and he was fun to watch during the 90's, but he took advantage of his booking power to be the champ/ending the streak...both of which equals more money.

Yeah he dropped it to HH with the finger poke of doom...but that was also the start of another big angle, the reformation of the original nWo. Another thing he got to be a part of. Anytime you're booked with Hogan...you bring home the bacon.

I think a lot of people forget how over the Wolfpac were as a babyface faction. And Kevin Nash especially was as over as he'd ever been in his career around this time period. Whether it was the right time for Goldberg to lose or not can be debated. Some say it was too early, others say he was already getting stale/starting to get booed. However, I don't have any problem with Nash ending the streak. I think he was big enough and over enough to be a legit threat to Goldberg... unlike DDP or many other guys at the time.

I think it was always going to be one of Nash, Sting or Bret... Sting had left temporarily due to personal issues. Bret unfortunately was being wasted around this time and I don't even think he appeared on the PPV. So, in my opinion, whether he booked himself or not, it wasn't a bad call. It was probably the right call for Nash to go over. I would have loved to have seen a Nash/Wolfpac face run with the title and a proper feud with Hogan. I think it would have been big money. Unfortunately they went in a different direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back