Do Video Packages Hurt Business?

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
I'm watching No Way Out 2007 and there's a match between Booker and Kane. I had no memory at all of why they were fighting as Booker made his entrance. Then I got a quick video that summarized the whole feud in about 40 seconds. This was great as it told me what I needed to know to understand the match in a very quick video which looked good, was edited well and got me ready to see a match.

Here's the thing: their feud started at the Rumble and was built up on Smackdown. With these videos in place for nearly every match, why would I need to watch the TV shows or buy the PPVs if I can just get a history of each feud like this whenever I watch a PPV? I haven't seen this show in nearly 4 years and the feud is instantly explained to me in perfect detail and in under a minute. Why spend four weeks and 80 dollars to see both PPVs plus all the Smackdowns when I can spend 15 dollars and grab the DVD and get the feud and the match in under 15 minutes total?

Are the recap videos and packages that WWE sets up good or bad for business?

I think a major part of the whole thing is the fact that WWE aren't selling themselves off as to having viewers that can go back and watch the show prior to the Pay Per View. This is a way to allow the viewers who hasn't had the chance to truly follow the show, to catch up. The same goes for Pay Per Views.

Besides, it's only recaps. It's nothing that gets the 100% down to the ground information. You get the basics, but you don't get the full thing, and obviously it could serve just as well as a trailer could to a movie. It serves as an appetizer that leaves you either eager to see more, or excited to learn more about the whole thing.

And of course, it also serves as a point of hyping the whole Pay Per View. Would you be able to say that The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 26 would've really been as big a thing going into the show, if it hadn't had the video packages? If it didn't remind us of last year? If it didn't remind us that this is Shawn's career we were talking about? No, I really don't think it would've become as big a deal.

And that's what video packages does for the business. Certainly there's a point in the whole "Yeah, I got the backstory, I don't need more than this". But it also serves as a way of wanting people to tune in, and therefore I'd say it certainly could prove helpful to the business.

I understand what your saying, but I don't think they hurt. The logic of your argument makes since, but something about it seems off. I get what your saying about just buying the DVD instead of the PPV to save money. That's what I normally do. However, I don't think people would not watch wrestling TV shows because they knew that they could get a video recap. I kind of defeats the purpose or being a wrestling fan. People would watch RAW and Smackdown because they like watching wrestling. I don't think they would consider whether or not everything would be summerized for them on PPV.

I must say that I really like the video packages on PPVs. As you said, you were watching and show from 2007. They are really helpful to get you back in the time frame a pumped for the match you are about to watch. Certainly an interesting thread.

I don't think so. For me? I just sorta ignore video packages. I've already seen what happened, so I don't need to see it again. Plus, not every moment between the people who are fighting needs to be highlighted. Heck, not every feud needs attention. I would've been just fine without Edge vs Kane at Survivor Series, but I digress. :p

However, you get those gems like this one:

[YOUTUBE]7UK3VQd2zdE[/YOUTUBE]

That just make you turn your head and pay attention. If the video package is GOOD, I don't see how they can be bad for business. The WWE isn't the only form of entertainment that uses them. Can't tell you how many times the minute or two game recap seems like the best thing ever because it saved me from wasting 3 hours of my life.

Interesting argument, but there's no doubt that video packages are good for business. They, like you said, inform the viewer on what they missed, or remind them of what's important. That generates interest, leading to more fans and more revenue. I think it's safe to say that most at this forum are pretty big fans of pro wrestling, but even here, the majority of people wouldn't go back to buy every Pay-Per-View in someone's feud (Especially wrestlers who aren't big marquee stars). That being said, it doesn't make much sense to think that more casual fans would go back and purchase all of the events that encompassed the feud. In this day and age especially, if people are interested in what happened, there are other, less expensive options for them, such as YouTube or Wikipedia.

The two main purposes of video packages are to make the uninformed more familiar with the feud and to build intensity and excitement for those already aware, and they do just that. In theory, they're bad for business, since they allow the viewer to be informed without "paying for the whole feud", but in reality, most wouldn't pay to see the back stories anyways. If anything, video packages increase interest in viewing the back stories as a whole.

I think that in the case of the WWE - it doesn't hurt business.

The thing with WWE is they have that guy that HBK referenced (can't remember his name - someone will know it), who puts together these stellar video packages and if they anything they hype me up so much for a PPV because you can really begin to feel the story in this short period of time. It condenses it, brings it down to the bare bones. The key points. It really helps with the promotional side of things.

Because if someone can't spend the 2-4 hours a week watching the product, getting the 30 minute to 1 hour preview show not only helps keep you updated but usually comes with the side-effect of hyping you up. At Wrestlemania, I'd say at least 5% of PPV buys will come from people buying it based off of those videos. I know people who come back to WWE for one night with Wrestlemania and those videos are what helps sell it.

I think they're good for business - especially for the PPVs which are the key events in wrestling. On a week-to-week basis though, I can see what you mean in that they could make someone less interested in RAW/Smackdown and instead just wait for PPVs and those packages.
However, I don't think that's the case either. As well as hype for the PPV - they help generate interest in the weekly viewing because if you see something like the Barrett vs Orton video w/Cena ref video or the HBK vs 'Taker II video then you're going to be more inclined to watch the weekly stuff so you can see some of these moments occur at first chance.

Video packages:
-Help bring in new fans by giving them a quick update as to why they should care bout the matches as well as a refresher to current fans.
-Hype the event up by making it seem more epic.

As far as the negative of not having to watch the show and just watch the recap, you could say that about many shows with a timeline but people still watch them. People want to see the stories unfold before their eyes and they want to know what happens in the stories asap. Many shows have a recap of things earlier in the season and it does not affect the viewership.

Another point is that if people only want to watch the recap, they won't get to see the matches. Also not every story gets a video package so they'd be missing out.

I understand your point but I do not think video packages hurt at all.

It's probably doing nothing to the business, realistically. In fact, it could only be a good thing.

WWE is a company to shows many re-runs and you can't really by full seasons of any of their programs. Realistically, it doesn't hurt sales in that sense. Either you caught the show when it first aired, or you didn't catch it.

However, once you get to the PPV, the only way fans will care about the match is if they know what is going on. So, it's essential.

Think of it this way, as well: When you watch any drama that doesn't end when the credits roll and is always moving forward, right before the episode, they recap some of what has been happening leading up to that episode.

Now, they DO sell DVDs, but some people still need to be clued in. Or that episode will seem odd to them, out of place, or completely lost.

Your point is well taken, but the pros outweigh the cons considerably.

These video packages are generally pushed on TV hard before the PPV. Video packages can do what one segment or a promo cannot. It tells the entire story leading up to and into the angle. These packages are always storyline driven and help put the finishing touch on an angle when all else fails. If you miss a week or two of television, these can get you caught up fast. They're the selling points for the PPV, essentially.

They also are beneficial for those who aren't great talkers. Some may say that Morrison isnt the greatest promo man, and that's fine. That it's hard for him to sell himself through his mic work. If so, isn't a video package the best way then to sell him? If he fails miserably over the next five weeks(presuming its he and Miz at the Rumble), then a video package can be done to illustrate who John Morrison is, how he got where he is, and why we should care to potentially see him as WWE champion.

So yes, I understand where you're coming from. If you miss a show or a PPV, they're a nice fallback option that allows you to get caught up. But Id argue they're a necessity for capping off storylines, and enhancing superstars so we can care. And thats certainly good for business.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, find a video package more satisfying than the whole drawn out feud, the feud probably would not have made it to a PPV. This is where the superstars actual job comes in to play, they’re supposed to make you want to watch the whole thing and pay that extra money to see what's going to happen next. If they don't do that, then they'll have no video package, because they'll be jobbing on Superstars.

So I don't think the video packages hurt the business, and no video package includes everything,
One of my favorites for instance:
[YOUTUBE]ZUohgkNFb2o[/YOUTUBE]
Now to someone who has no idea why this match is taking place, this is pretty much perfect for them, but for a fan of the feud there were some key points I found left out.

They have always been one of my favourite things about wrestling. They set the mood for the match and remind you why you are about to see the match you are about to see.

I've never really thought about the fact that you could just wait until the blow off match to watch. You can usually tell when the last match of the feud is going to happen, so why bother following along? Well, that comes down to what WWE is in the first place. It is about enjoying the program, not just seeing the results. By that logic, you could just follow on-line opposed to spending any money in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back