Does anyone watch NWA Showcase on the NWA website?

WrestlingHistorian

Pre-Show Stalwart
Just wondering if anyone watches NWA Showcase on the NWA website? It's their weekly wrestling show and I was just wondering if it's any good or is it just horrible amature guys trying to be professional wrestlers? I know they have some decent talent such as Adam Pierce, Blue Demon and Brent Albright, but how is it as a whole?

I gave it a try, just because I'm... you know... me.

I wasn't a big fan. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but what I saw was inferior to what I could get watching guys from New Japan (or even RoH, but we wont talk about that).

There is nobody on the forum who'd like to see a resurgence of the NWA more than me. The idea of a wrestling company that returns to the old school style of running things is my wet dream, or at least it would be my wet dream if I were sexually aroused by wrestling promotions.

The problem is, you can't run a promotion based exclusively around in ring product, then hire a bunch of guys who work no better than those in WWE to run it. In Japan (the best place to look for promotion dynamics, since they have so many) the in ring companys like New Japan are able to hold off the sports entertainment and comedy federations (DDT for example) by hiring guys who can work better matches, and giving them more time to apply their art.

Right now the NWA seems to be hiring guys who are interchangeable from WWE development talent, and then making them wrestle shot matches with one anther, interspersed with the occasional bad promo. This leads to a show that's not inherently bad, but gives nobody other than a xenophobic American who hates the bullshit of the WWE and the over the top nature of Ring of Honor, any reason to watch it.

If the NWA wants to have any level of success without selling out the legacy, they their either going to have to drastically improve their in ring talent, or start trying to run the shows as a legit sport, and restore some of the merits of kayfabe.

I gave it a try, just because I'm... you know... me.

I wasn't a big fan. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but what I saw was inferior to what I could get watching guys from New Japan (or even RoH, but we wont talk about that).

There is nobody on the forum who'd like to see a resurgence of the NWA more than me. The idea of a wrestling company that returns to the old school style of running things is my wet dream, or at least it would be my wet dream if I were sexually aroused by wrestling promotions.

The problem is, you can't run a promotion based exclusively around in ring product, then hire a bunch of guys who work no better than those in WWE to run it. In Japan (the best place to look for promotion dynamics, since they have so many) the in ring companys like New Japan are able to hold off the sports entertainment and comedy federations (DDT for example) by hiring guys who can work better matches, and giving them more time to apply their art.

Right now the NWA seems to be hiring guys who are interchangeable from WWE development talent, and then making them wrestle shot matches with one anther, interspersed with the occasional bad promo. This leads to a show that's not inherently bad, but gives nobody other than a xenophobic American who hates the bullshit of the WWE and the over the top nature of Ring of Honor, any reason to watch it.

If the NWA wants to have any level of success without selling out the legacy, they their either going to have to drastically improve their in ring talent, or start trying to run the shows as a legit sport, and restore some of the merits of kayfabe.

I may give it a try, I am a HUGE fan of both the NWA of old and they Kayfabe way of doing things. I follow mostly New-Japan, NOAH and ROH, but I am open to the NWA if they are going to bring prestige to the belt and make the titles they promote mean something again, I am NOT looking for "Sports Entertainment", I am looking for Professional Wrestling. In your honest opinion, are you going to continue watching the NWA Showcase and do you think I may enjoy it?

I watch it on Colours Television every week. Not a bad show. Yes, there are a lot of amateur guys on the show, but you have to start somewhere. I just saw Little Guido make his debut this week and Blue Demon Jr. is still a blast to watch. Rumor has it they signed Super Crazy, so this should be interesting to see what they do there. Can't be any worse than what WWE didn't do.

They need to update the shows on the website because the Colours timeslot is horrible. I love episode 6 and 7. Both shows feature a good Blue Demon main event which is rare since Demon sucks.

The Skullkrushers is a great tag team with a great gimmick. Oliver John is the best young talent on the market.

The show is pretty good but I hate Colours/NWA relationship because they would release 4 shows and then go on hiatus for a month or two.

Anybody expecting the NWA to return to its glory days is watching for the wrong reasons. The NWA is the best place for young guys to develop on the indy scene(if you want to make it to the WWE one day) I would not recommend going to ROH,FIP,Chikara,etc. Look at Karl Anderson, he's now wrestling in New Japan in high profile matches base off his NWA Pro work. And yes, New Japan is a member of the NWA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back