ECW Region, Kansas City Subregion, First Round: (5) Bob Backlund vs. (28) Tiger Mask

Who wins this match?

• Bob Backlund

• Tiger Mask I

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Kansas City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Missouri.

1319572260-350x200_93.jpg

Bob_Backlund3.jpg

#5. Bob Backlund

Vs.

01d.jpg

#28. Tiger Mask I

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Now this has the makings of a phenomenal match. Both guys are very technically skilled in the ring and is one of the best matches in the 1st round.

With that said its impossible for me to go against Bob. When I look at all he accomplished in his career having the 2nd longest title reign in WWE and some of the matches he had I can't go against him. I also feel the ECW rules would fall in his court as well. Although Bob was known as technically gifted he could get mean in a hurry as seen in heated matches such as his match with Pat Patterson and heated rivalry with Peter Maivia. I was also a fan of his feud with Bret when he turned into crazy old Bob not to mention their match at Survivor Series '94.

Tiger Mask was a phenomenal Junior Heavyweight, had some classics with the Dynamite Kid among others but he really didn't do anything that would hold weight to Bob's accomplishments. Tiger could match up in the in ring category but in all other categories I gotta take Bob.

Bob wins this.

I'm glad I double read the first post because I was about to make an argument for Tiger Maske I and Mitsuharu Misawa :shrug:

The original tiger mask was one of the quickest and technically incredible wrestlers out of that time. Amazing junior matches against dynamite kid made a legacy for both of them. After he was injured by dynamite he really went down hill, lost the mask, and didn't accomplish too much.

Backlund had a better time in the US. He too was a good technical wrestler but not nearly as quick as Tiger. I wouldn't necessarily call him more skilled but he beat bigger opponents stateside and accomplished more.

Backlund wins this round, it's closer than it should be.

Me in Ultimo Dragon Vs Dory Funk Jr. thread said:
There is absolutely no way Ultimo can hang with a technician like this. He'll be grounded, and when he is there's getting up without sustaining huge damage. Dory Funk is a world champion and way too strong here.

Oh, i'm pretty sure Dory would be fine in ECW too

This match is like, exactly the same. Except Backlund is better than Dory, and Tiger Mask is better than Ultimo Dragon. Maybe that's controversial. I know I prefer Tiger Mask (probably because of his series with Dynamite). I'm not gonna put more thought into it because either way they are both out here.

Both Ultimo and Tiger worked in America, both did amazing things in the lightweight divisions around the world, neither broke into the world heavyweight title ranks. You just can't put people with zero world title experience over some of the greatest champions of all time.

Wow, I'm a little surprised it's unanimous so far. I'm taking Backlund too and I figured he'd win fairly easily but a unanimous vote does surprise me a bit. I think this would be a good competitive match. Tiger Mask had a fast pace style but I think Backlund would be able to catch him and keep him gounded. Good match with Backlund moving on.

Bob goes over Tiger here. Tigers high flying style frustrates Bob early in the contest, but Backlund catches him sooner than later, where his superior size and power, coupled with his repetoire of holds and deep moveset get him the win in an entertaining bout. During his nearly 5 years as the WWF/E Champ, Backlund took down a who's who of pro wrestling Hall of Famers. His better resume gets him into round two .

Tiger Mask is one of the most entertaining wrestlers I've ever watched, from an in ring perspective, but I don't think that would matter here. Backlund is one of the longest serving champions ever, but also managed to completely re-invent himself when he came back ten years after losing the title.

I can't really think of any scenario that would lead to a Tiger Mask win, as much as I probably prefer him.

I voted for Tiger Mask I just to make a point here.

Kayfabe, Backlund goes over Tiger Mask I in almost scenario imaginable. That being said, I strongly urge people who have never seen Tiger Mask I in action to watch a couple of his matches. He's a pioneer whose athleticism can't even be matched by most wrestlers today. Besides Jushin Liger there hasn't been a more important light heavyweight/junior heavyweight wrestler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back