Entrance Music Is Everything!

Great idea Dave, and yes of course it is a big deal. A song is supposed to be associated to that character. To their personality. Could you picture the Undertaker (deadman gimmick) with anything other then the creepy graveyard music? Or the King of Kings HHH without any metal to walk out to? Not really no. That music has to fit that person. I hate DB's entrance. Which is funny, due to my love of that song. It just makes me not take him serious really. Might as well have Cena come out to the Superman theme. There are a few people who do need new themes, but when the time comes, they will get them. WWE usually does that when they push their stars. Take Rock for example. His was changed 5 or 6 times.

Entrance Music is the most important aspect of wrestling. As soon as someone's music hits, you get excited. You almost anticipate it.

Something Catchy and fitting to the character. It has to be memorable.

The Rock and Austin come to mind. Of Course The Game and now I think both Orton and Cena have catchy themes. Even Kofi has a good theme but they need to utilize him better.

Sheamus needs new music bad, same with Evan Bourne. Both could be so much better just with a new Entrance.

I think it does in a way. It does not work for every body at least in my case. I do like the new Randy Orton theme and even though he is already an established superstar I liked his previous one better even if it didn't fit his character. Like some said before it does get you pumped up when you hear someone's music because you already know he is coming to the ring.
One example that I can think of is Kofi Kingston's theme. Many of you say it does not fit him or that he should change it to become more serious I like his music. Every time I hear the beginning of his theme is awesome. One example from someone who has not grown on me is Mcyintire. Yes, his music is cool, but I still find him boring and just simply don't like him. Same goes for Cody Rhodes. I don't get how such an ugly dude is playing that gimmick. Also the Miz needs something new, something more metallic that could really pump up the fans.

Just am watching this week's Smackdown now. Out comes Chris Masters...

This dude used to have awesome Entrance Music when he debuted like years ago...

I know he left and then came back for whatever reason.... how did he go back to generic rock music? lol He had that sweet music and sweet video with those greek sculptures lol wtf happened.

While I think Entrance music is an important part, keep in mind, it is just a PART. There is also your in ring persona, your talent, and ability that must also be considered part of the package when creative is going along with finding the right song choice. Now that being said, I do think that the old addage, "One rotten egg can spoil the whole carton" does apply to this thing. If you have the wrong song choice, it doesn't matter how talented you are in the rest of the package, no one really would care because you will be stuck with that bad piece until its time for some re-packaging.

Entrance music is a very important of a wrestler’s character. Twenty years ago some guys had music and some guys didn’t. It was not rare for a big name guy to not have entrance music. Ted Dibiase, Mr. Perfect, and Brutus Beefcake are three examples. Eventually all three got entrance music, and while they were over before, the music was the final piece of the puzzle. I think they all benefited from it.

As the years went on it became more important. Typically if a wrestler just has some generic music the fans won’t care much about them. If WWE doesn’t think enough of someone to give them a good entrance why should we care? They’re subconsciously telling us this guy doesn’t matter. I always take notice when someone loses their generic music for a more customized theme. I’m not saying it always results in a monster push, but it does make them seem like a more important part of the roster. Here are two recent examples:

[YOUTUBE]Od08P-pTCO4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Very generic. I didn’t know who was coming out until I saw Dolph come through the curtain.

[YOUTUBE]VIt7OW05t5k&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Much better. It may not be the greatest theme ever, but it stands out a lot more than that other one and I know it’s Dolph as soon as I hear it.

[YOUTUBE]-H8DVsisL3A[/YOUTUBE]

Meh. Pretty boring. This does nothing for me and I’ve already lost interest before he gets to the ring.

[YOUTUBE]iEmFsHjHETk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Infinitely better. This is much for fitting for Drew’s character and now I’m interested.

Entrance music is not necessarily the be all end all, but I think it is important. Do you think Steve Austin would have gotten the same pops if he stuck with his original theme? The broken glass got the crowd to erupt. The beer celebration wouldn’t be the same with the original theme. People loved seeing Hulk Hogan pose after the match as much as the match itself. Real American was a necessary part of his character.

Entrance music gets the fans excited (or angry) before the wrestler even steps through the curtain. It sets the tone. If a wrestler’s music is bland and generic the wrestler will be perceived that way too.

Reactions: TLC
I really hate most of the music they have for wrestlers nowadays. They all sound very similar to me in terms of their production (most are recorded in the same studio with the same musicians so that would be why of course) but yeah, so much of this bland heavy rock music. I mean it's cool for some to have rock songs but yeah, very little variation nowadays.

For me they were really at their height in the late 80s and through the 90s with themes...Hogan, Warrior, HBK, Austin, The Rock, Mankind (the music entering the ring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Dm52by2-o&feature=related then if he won he got a different music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIokuD0cw-Q&feature=related, both very Twin Peaks esq, beautiful!) Razor Ramon, Undertaker, Angle, Bret and Owen... even Big Boss Man and one that cracks me up everytime;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taOFLVnAIgY

They're great themes which suit the gimmick of the wrestler so well and hugely memorable and catchy. I watch Raw every week and I don't remember how Miz's theme sounds after the "Aweeeeeeeesome" part at the beginning.

However does this make the Miz any less great? Nah, therefore I disagree with your point. Austin/The Rock/Hogan would have been huge regardless of their theme. My point is a little different and I'm saying WWE themes are pretty generic now and not nearly as memorable as they used to be.

To be honest I think WWE should give Jim Johnson a consulting role or something now because his compositions are not what they used to be. Get a new person in (or a team of people) to work on songs varying in style and maybe we'll get some classic themes again that really stand out next to each other.

Oh and a few people have slated Daniel Bryan's music thus far but I think it's great they're using something that isn't a standard rock/metal song, it puts him in a great lineage along with Ric Flair and Macho Man who both had "classical" themes but are two of the greatest wrestlers of all time.

It's almost really a non-factor. Guys from the Indies cut better promos that enhance their character and they use generic theme songs.

Hell, back at the early days, there weren't even theme songs and cut meaningful promos than nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back