Fantasy Draft Advice

The Brain

King Of The Ring
I'm not looking for advice on who to take when. I'm looking for advice on the actual draft format. For several years I have done a fantasy baseball draft with an unusual format. There are 12 teams and as expected we randomly draw the order for the first round and then snake the second round back. After that we randomly draw for round three and snake back with round four. We continue drawing new numbers for every odd round and snake the even rounds. It's seemed to work out ok but some have questioned why we don't just keep our original numbers and snake the whole way.

I understand that's the most common way to do it but that always just seemed boring to me. Getting a new number every other round just added a little extra element that I thought made draft day more fun. I don't necessarily want picks 9 and 16 all day long for example. I like to mix it up. With random drawings every other round theoretically everyone has the same odds but of course good or poor luck could be in play all day for any given team. My question is do you think one way is more fair than the other. If so is it drastically more fair where my decision should be easy or just slightly more so it doesn't matter which way I decide?

I guess your way of picking new numbers is fair, but I can see why people wanna change it to the traditional one pick "snake". It can be hard to have to give up a #1 or a #12 pick! I say keep it the way you are, and if some of the guys dont like it, tell em to find a new league!

I like that concept for a redraft every year league. It definitely spices it up. I know me personally getting the number one overall pick in a snaking draft is a bit of a bitter sweet type of thing, because you sit there and wait so long till your pick comes back up. I usually like to pick right in the middle. Then again now that I think about it, that's the con that comes with having the first overall pick. With your method someone can get the first overall pick, and then they can go ahead and get out of that whole having to wait so long afterwards.

There's a lot more luck involved in your method, and in fantasy sports I don't like luck (Unless his first name is Andrew). The traditional method involves a lot more strategy. However your way is also a lot less unpredictable and harder to prepare for.

So there's a lot of different things that come into play there. I'd say just have a league wide vote on how to do it. Majority wins.

Have you tried auction drafts? We switched to auction drafts back in 2013, and haven't looked back.

I've never done an auction draft before. Never had the interest but lately I've become more curious. Probably not going to make that change this year but maybe someday.

Do a mock auction and see what you think. It won't be exactly the same but at least you'll have an idea of what you think about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back