First Image Of A Sentinel In X-Men: Days Of Future Past

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
With the next X-Men film being based on the classic "Days of Future Past" storyline from the early 80s, the robotic Sentinels will play a significant role in the film. Those not all that familiar with the goings on in the X-Men, the classic image of a Sentinel is that of a 15-20 foot humanoid robot armed with advanced sensors, weapons, great strength & toughness designed to capture or kill mutants. The comics typically use the Sentinels as a metaphorical representation of the fear & hatred of mutants among ordinary humans, sort of like the KKK has come to be a symbolic representation of racism as a whole in the United States.

The first image of one of the machines has been released:http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...tinel-on-the-set-of-x-men-days-of-future-past

I'm not completely sure how I feel about it. It's the right size, at least. Even though scale is often tinkered with in comic books to make big things seem even bigger than they are, the Sentinel is supposed to be big but not too big. Singer is around 6 feet tall, so the Sentinel in the pic is clearly around the 20 foot mark. I'm not all that wild about being able to see all the exposed inner workings, hydraulics, gears & tubes of the thing. The blue & white color scheme doesn't make it seem all that menacing either, in my opinion. However, it's probably less expensive to do so this way and, personally, I hope they use CGI to add "flesh" to it for the film.

I can't help but feel that we me be in for a swerve for this. Quite frankly I don't believe that these Sentinels will be the fighting Sentinels we see towards the middle to end of the film. For me the thing looks way to friendly and nice to be a fighting machine and either they CGI the heck out of it, or use these friendlier sentinels in a no fighting way only to reveal fighting sentinels later. Personally I don't like what I See right now but I feel like that will change in the future so therefore I'm not worried yet. If it stays like that...then I worry.

I don't see a majot issue with the robot looking friendly. Lets remember the purpose of these robots. They protect the regulars from the mutants. For Trask to get away with his plan surely these robots shouldn't lok like a threat to people, shouldn't scare the kids etc..

CGI, lightbulb eyes and seeing it on film will all make it look vastly different. I don't think we should expect this 20 foot thing to actually be present in any of the filming process.

Looks okay to me. I'm pretty sure that's purple, not blue, but in either case having some color is a nice nod to the original design. For practical combat reasons the innards shouldn't be exposed, but that's a nitpick. It looks plausible, the size is right, and it's vaguely reminiscent of the original comic look while staying true to the established aesthetic of the movies. The real test comes when we see it in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back