First Round: New York - Bret Hart vs. Edge

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Bret Hart

• Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Edge sucks a fat one. However, I'm going to give Will the chance to convince me that Edge should go over Bret Hart. However, I'm going to closely examine his post. If the post contains less than three outright lies, then I'll vote for Edge and come to Will's defense in any thread that's made to belittle or libel him. If the contains three outright lies or more, then I'm going to convince someone in the Board Room to change his signature to a picture of Stephen Glass.

All right, I await Will's defense of Edge.

Bret Hart is definitely a technical machine. In my eyes, a legendary textbook wrestler. When he is switched on, you can't escape or reverse anything of his moveset, someone like Edge relies on. Sure, he might be the ultimate opportunist and give shots to Bret here and there... but the ring presence Bret had would eliminate Edge's effectiveness here, countering it to Bret's own advantage. And since weapons aren't allowed here, well you can pretty much call Edge out.

If Edge can't use weapons or sneak around Bret, what else is there? The spear is easily countered. The Edgucator is the sharpshooter, something Bret is a master of so that's easily countered. I'm pretty sure a DDT isn't going to lay Bret for the count. Bret Hart to win.

I'm voting for Edge because he deserves to make it through the first Round, and quite honestly, Bret Hart has won fucking enough for one year on WZ Forums. WZ Tourney, Legends Tourney and Tag Team Tourney. Seriously, give it a rest Bret. I do see where people are coming from, namely D-Man, when they say that both of these guys are criminally overrated, and it's true I suppose.

Neither of these men are particularly spectacular, but rather lived in an unspectacular era in which they could shine as a result. Still, as for a kayfabe victory Edge should take it, seeing as Bret is incredibly naive and can easily fall for a nasty trick like salt in the eyes. Hell, he'll even line up for the spear perfectly, just like he does for Sweet Chin Music. It took him a while to think of a steel plate to defend against Goldberg, right?

Edge is good, Brett is great..if thats not enough everyone should know if its not a gimmick match edge will more than likely lose because thats where he excells but this is a regular straight up 1o1 matchup bretts "specialty" bretts locks in the sharpshooter to win

Both of these men are disgustingly overrated, in my opinion.

I want to start off by saying.. I almost felt like I wanted to cry, when I seen the poll. :lmao: 72-12 (or 16?) LMAO My goodness, I hope you guys didn't PM people to do that.. because damn, its like pouring it on. I did laugh though at all the voters and yet so few posts.

Anyways.. so here's my deal, I'll try to keep it moderately short. (so, say 30 minutes?)

I value your opinion. I, even as a fan of both, would say they're given more credit than they deserve. (LMAO Again, especially my greatness of Edge that was last year. I will never get enough of tooting that horn) But I think you're being a bit much with how overrated you set them.

For starters, both were leaders (or co-leaders, as it were) of their respective Generations. You can't be too overrated, if a Company depends on you to be one of its top names.

Each won multiple titles, and before people get in a tissy over the fluke reigns.. the fact remains, a title win is a win. Several top names don't have even one reign, much less 5 or 9.

This matchup is a dream come true for me because one of these men have gotta go.

You could've stopped at dream match, and held respect. Instead, you did what you actually bad mouthed me for not too long ago and rubbed in the one's gonna have to go stupidity.

To see these men wrestle would've been a true classic and a treat. Anyone to say otherwise, apparently doesn't watch Wrestling for the talent aspects of it. Or the entertainment value, apparently.

But, if I had to choose, Edge would be getting his ass booted out because of his fluke of a run in last year's tournament, thanks to Will.

Again, thank you. Can't help but love hearing about my greatness of a year ago. Anyways.. trying to stay on point for right now.

Edge deserves NOTHING in this tournament, and although I believe Bret is overrated, he's still OVERQUALIFIED to take Edge out in the opening round.

Bye bye, Edge, you cheating, cheap, "opportunist" mother fucker.

This is the true entire purpose I wanted to reply to you. (Last time I was "mean" to you, you were upset and red repped me. I think you should probably be ready to do that again.. because I'm about to make you look all sorts of foolish.)

Alright so here we go..

Bret Hart is a better, by far, technical Wrestler than Edge. However, how many times does it need to be said the better in-ring Superstar isn't always the winner of the match? On the note of Hart being a technical expert. I think it needs to be noted that Edge has had superior victories over such technical wonders as; Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle. In fact, he's held majority victories over them.

Furthermore, you ended your rant with "you cheating, cheap, "opportunist"".. it makes me wonder if you hold the ability to understand the words you're saying. This is why I've decided to toss in a lesson in language.

First language lesson. The word "Opportunity".

dictionary.com said:
op·por·tu·ni·ty   /ˌɒpərˈtunɪti, -ˈtyu-/ Show Spelled[op-er-too-ni-tee, -tyoo-] Show IPA
–noun,plural-ties.
1.an appropriate or favorable time or occasion: Their meeting afforded an opportunity to exchange views.
2.a situation or condition favorable for attainment of a goal.
3.a good position, chance, or prospect, as for advancement or success.

Second language lesson. The word "Opportunism".

dictionary.com said:
op·por·tun·ism   /ˌɒpərˈtunɪzəm, -ˈtyu-/ Show Spelled[op-er-too-niz-uhm, -tyoo-] Show IPA
–noun
1.the policy or practice, as in politics, business, or one's personal affairs, of adapting actions, decisions, etc., to expediency or effectiveness regardless of the sacrifice of ethical principles.
2.action or judgment in accordance with this policy.

These are both words that explain who Edge is, and how he's become (good or not) a top named Superstar. Who is very much able, to defeat Bret Hart, or anyone for that matter.

Edge wins matches, because simply put.. he's opportunistic. He's smart. He capitalizes on moments that others either don't see, or won't take. He has no morals, and no respect. Hes in it, to win it. Simply put.

Now, adding onto this.. I'm sure someone said Edge was shit. (72 votes, surely someone thinks it) And that he had fluke reigns. (again, 72 votes, surely someone thinks it)

Well, Edge won those titles off taking the opening that was given to him. Does he have the skills to win fairly? Yes. Again, he's defeated the likes of Benoit and Angle - cleanly. But why should you have to do that, when cheating and taking short cuts can gain you the same victory? Morals? I'm sorry, I was unaware this was a tournament of who has the most of those.

Also, to consider Bret Hart a better Champion.. well, he was a Heavyweight Champion during what many have said, and consider, to be one of the worst era's in Wrestling history. Thats the equivalent of saying you're the smartest person with down syndrome. Congratulations, however, to medical science you're still a ******.

Now in closing.. just like last year I am not ashamed of Edge dropping to Hart. Bret Hart was a great favorite of mine. In fact, far better than you'd have people believe, D-Man. So I'll be backing Hart as well as others. I would like to just toss in one final remark.

I did find it utterly hilarious that you, of all people, who back a midcarder who's greatest achievement was dying.. would say either of these two, are "overrated". Good luck with your guy, I'm sure he'll get as far as death can take him.

Bret Hart is one of my all time favorite wrestlers, so I can't vote against him. Some may think Bret is overrated, but not me. I think in terms of the way history looks at him, he is underrated. He could do it all in the ring, and was good on the mic (as a heel). I have never seen a guy, consistently, put on matches like Bret Hart. I am hard pressed to think of a bad Bret Hart match.

Edge, on the other hand, I have never been a "huge" fan of. I think he's really good at what he does, and I respect that. But IMO, Bret is superior in just about every way. You can argue Edge has a better character, but I don't think so. During Bret's last year in the WWF, he really created a major heel character for himself. He was the most loathed guy in the U.S. His pro-Canada gimmick created a lot of heat, more than I have seen for Edge.

Bret gets my vote in every way possible.

This makes for a nice, solid 1st round matchup that sees Edge giving Hart all he can handle for a good chunk of this matchup, but when the time limit is near its end, Edge attempts a spear...and misses it, enabling Hart to put Edge in a sharpshooter, ending things at the near 20 minute time limit. Entertaining match for the fans, but Hart wins.

Like Edge, Bret Hart is a strategist in the ring. Throughout the match, he would systematically break down his opponents until he was ready to lock in the Sharpshooter.

Like Edge, Bret was an opportunist. However Hart did not have to resort to dirty tactics to secure his victory as Bret Hart had the ability for creating pinning predicaments out of his opponents' holds when things looked bad for the Hitman.

I see Edge going for a spear, which Hart counters into a roll up pin for the three count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back