Second Round : New York - Randy Savage vs. Owen Hart

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Randy Savage

• Owen Hart

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round matchup in the New York City Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first match.

madison-square-garden.jpg

Randy Savage

Wrestl14.jpg

Vs.

Owen Hart

Blue%20Blazer.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Alright, this is my first foray into the Wrestlezone Tournament, and I think I picked a good match for my first post to be in! So yeah if I sound like a newb, it is because I am :p Anyways........onto the argument!

Alright first off, WOW! This is a golden match, and I think this is going to be one of the closer matches in this tournament. How do you call this one? Kayfabe wise, both guys are very equal to each other in terms of wrestling ability. I always saw Owen as more of the high-flying risk taking Hart, and so I think he measures up to Savage in that department quite well. In terms of Power, I will give the slight edge to Savage who wrestled in a time when the giants ruled the ring and you had to be strong just to simply survive. In terms of technical ability, that has got to go to Owen who is quite simply one of the best technical wrestlers of all time. In terms of pure wrestling ability, I see both of these men as being quite equal. In the end, I say these guys are too close in terms of in-ring talent to call this match that way.

So, what am I going to be basing my vote on? I am going to base it on Professional Accomplishments. While Owen Hart was a great competitor, an extremely funny promo man, and a legend in his own right, "Macho Man" Randy Savage is one of the most Iconic and Greatest Wrestlers to ever lace up his boots. His catchphrases are instantly recognizable (OOOOOOHHHH YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH), his matches are unforgettable (vs. Ricky Steamboat at Mania Three, The Title Tourny at Mania 4, The Mega-Powers Collide at Mania 5 just to name a few), and, as good as Owen was, Macho Man was a WWE Champion, Owen wasn't. So, in the end, I am giving my vote to one Macho Man Randy Savage, and I hope to see him go deep into this tournament.

Reactions: gd
Pretty easy choice here. Owen mostly popular because of the whole death thing and being a Hart. If his name was Owen Shoumgaboo, he wouldn't be nearly as popular, I can tell you that.

Savage is one of the top guys ever. Should go quite far in this thing. He was the clear #2 to Hogan in what was a pretty big time for wrestling. He also had some pretty kickass matches against Steamboat and Warrior at Wrasslemania. Both probably in the top 5 ever. Plus, his valet was hot as hell. Jay Lethal definetly wins here.

Randy Savage and Owen Hart would have a Five Star match, but in the end, it's Savage with a win here.

Hart was a fine wrestler and as good as Bret Hart. Savage had a tendency to get crazy at times and take risks he wouldn't need to take. But so does Hart. And overall, Savage can hit the Bionic Elbow drop and keep Owen down for a 3 count.

DIG IT?!

Vote Savage.

I think Owen Hart is pretty underrated, but that's due in large part to Bret Hart, the fact that Bret Hart won seven world titles and Owen dying before being able to reach his ultimate potential.

I think Owen would be able to give Randy Savage a very competitive match, but I have to give the win to Savage in the end. Savage is still thought of as one of the greatest to ever set foot in a WWE or WCW ring and there's good reason why. Even though he was relegated to second banana status behind Hulk Hogan, Savage was an infinitely better pro wrestler and had the stuff. He proved it time and time again. Owen Hart winds up in this tourney each year I believe, but he's never going to win it as it's full of wrestlers that were able to ultimately prove that they really had the stuff of main eventers and legends while Owen didn't in his life. In the end, Savage delivers the flying elbow and that's all she wrote.

Sure, Owen lived in Bret's shadow, but that was probably for good reason. Bret always had a slight edge in ability, and that's always going to work against Owen whenever people hear his name. But when people hear Randy Savage's name, what do they think of? Macho Madness. Savage was big in a time where only Hogan was big. He has had many classic (choreographed if you want to be negative) matches whereas Owen's only truly classic performances were against his brother, overshadowing his efforts.

Savage was great whereas Owen only had the chance to be.

Owen was good, Savage was better.

I really like Owen Hart's Rocket era work, and the blue blazer for that matter, but the fact of the matter is, he was never a real main event player nor was he anywhere near it when his brother wasn't the world champion. Savage was a multiple time world champion, and as much as I would anticipate a competitive match here, I doubt I'd expect to see any other outcome than a Savage win.

It pains me to do so, but I have to go with the truth... Owen could NEVER defeat a primed Randy Savage in a matchup.

I cringe every time I read a poster talking bullshit about Owen being "overrated". The guy was such a solid in-ring performer that just didn't get the chance to live out his full life's potential. But his impact on the business was so strong that people continue to praise him.

You all claim that his death is what gets him respect on here?? MANY former wrestlers have died in recent years, and the majority of them are forgotten or not cared about. Yet Owen is always the one that people stand behind and elevate. And why? Because we all saw the type of athlete he was. Sure, he never won a world title. But he was around during a time when top spots and championships weren't just given away like they have been over the past decade.

If Owen were still alive, he would have a world championship under his belt. But, he is dead, and he's facing a man that main evented in four Wrestlemanias:

Wrestlemania IV: Won his first WWE championship after defeating Ted Dibiase in the finals of the WWE Championship Tournament
Wrestlemania V: Lost the same WWE championship (after holding it for ONE YEAR) to fucking Hulk Hogan
Wrestlemania VII: Lost a retirement match to the Ultimate Warrior
Wrestlemania VIII: Won the WWE championship against Ric Flair

That's one hell of a resume, if you ask me. And even though I'm an Owen Hart fanatic, Savage probably ranks on my #2 or #3 of my all-time favorite wrestlers and absolutely deserves to win this round... and by a long shot.

While I have an immense love for Owen, sure, he was a great talent in the ring, and underrated to say the least, if he had survived through Over the Limit, he would've been a definite world champion, and he's a definite Hall of Famer when the time comes.

On the other hand, Randy Savage is an incredibly talented guy as well, just looking at some of the great matches he has had, he's held numerous titles, that even Owen Hart cannot compete with, and is an overall great wrestler that was incredibly over, incredibly loved, and definitely deserves to go over in this match,

Oh yeeeah! Randy Savage!

Edit: And of course can you really leave out the fact that Randy has probably influenced this business far more than Owen probably ever did, or ever could, his feuds with Hulk Hogan, his association with Hulk Hogan, and his relationship with Miss Elizabeth in my eyes opened up the world for valets in the future of wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back