Flair Region, Atlanta Subregion, First Round: (10) Big Show vs. (23) Ken Shamrock

Who Wins This Match?

• Big Show

• Ken Shamrock

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
This is a first round match in the Flair Region, Atlanta Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

phillips-arena2.jpg

13ElWMn2.jpg

#10. Big Show

Vs.

shamrock.jpg

#23. Ken Shamrock

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This match screams upset to me. I know Big Show/Giant/Paul Wight has had a number of titles and long career, but head to head, I think Shamrock just has the edge. His entire game was based on wearing down and outlasting his opponents, and then making them tap. He was a legit badass that could take on anyone and realistically win.

Big Show is not the posterchild of health and stamina. I think he'd have the upper hand for a little bit, and then get gassed, and Shamrock would take his legs out and eventually make him tap.

You know that Shamrock would try to suplex Show, but Big Show takes this. He has been a World Champion is multiple organizations, and has branched out into shitty comedy films. Shamrock never rose above midcard enforcer for The Corporation in the Attitude Era.

Someone who has made a career out of wrestling & beating the best of the last 20 years, will not lose to someone who's time in wrestling amounts to little more than an asterisk on his resume.

Shamrock is legt, but in the end means fuck all to wrestling. If this was a straight up fight, things may be different. Show would likely just get tired of Shamrock trying to take him down & then just chokeslam the fuck out of him.

I'll take Show.

Good battle but I remember when people came out to defend Stephanie during the black wedding. First came Shamrock and fell to the wayside, they needed a baseball bat to put down Show.

Then came Austin.

Ken Shamrock is an amazing athlete, and that's about it. His loose cannon thing was fun for his feud with British Bulldog, he had an IC run that hardly anyone remembers before dropping the belt to Billy Gunn. Recent events in his life have really made me question if he was deserving of his reputation, I think he lost to his rival Tito Ortiz (an amazing fighter in his own right) in about five seconds in what was being hyped as an epic encounter. He's apparently living out of a trailer in a LA parking lot now, so not exactly the type of person that a booker would want to use to carry the reputation of the company.

I like Big Show and I hope he doesn't retire right away. Are his matches super exciting? No, not really. But he makes up for it by being a tireless workhorse, I really do think that he's the greatest giant of all time if you consider how long he's been doing this and the bumps he's had to take along the way. It's fun to use a big man to put over smaller performers in a David vs Goliath scenario, but every now and then people start telling David to stop being an asshole to Goliath.

Big Show sells some nifty submission holds, but fights through the pain to eventually hit the chokeslam and get the win. Vote Big Show.

Shamrock is one of the most unfortunate wrestlers ever. He was incredibly over, incredibly popular and capable of good matches. The only trouble is, he debuted at the same event that Austin went thermonuclear. Ken Shamrock debuts earlier or later by 3 years and you have a World Champion. He probably should have been the guy to dethrone Bret Hart (though probably still not in Montreal).

Shamrock's first feud was with Vader, a more mobile superheavyweight than Big Show and Shamrock beat him pretty easily. I really like Big Show and think he is given a very rough deal by people around these parts, but he has a long history of tapping out after giving it the big one, and I think that's precisely what would have happened if he fought 1997's Ken Shamrock.

Again, you guys really need to listen to Tasty. The man knows his shit. I've said it before, and I'll say it now, that Shamrock's game was based on grounding his opponent, working on their legs, and making them tap. The argument that he's too small means bullshit, when you realize that Mayweather was smaller than him, and knocked out Big Show.

And if Mayweather is a "legit" badass, then check out Shamrock's early MMA career.

Shamrock's first feud was with Vader, a more mobile superheavyweight than Big Show and Shamrock beat him pretty easily.

It should be noted that in that particular match, Ken Shamrock went out there with almost no training and wrestled like a fucking idiot. Ken was throwing stiff kicks and executing ridiculous looking spots without any warning for Vader. At one point Vader was legit telling Ken to "ease up" because Ken apparently thought he should be allowed to permanently injure someone without getting a receipt.

Vader clobbered Ken at one point, which while justified only added to the mayhem. After the match Vader had to be helped to the back by Tim White, and that wasn't for show. Vader didn't walk for three days after the match.

Shamrock beat Vader easily because Vince saw Ken as a cash cow and foolishly trusted him to behave like a professional.

Imagine what would happen if Ken's first few moves in a match against Big Show were stiff kicks to the leg that didn't stop even after Big Show told him to cut it out. Big Show would snap his neck and nobody in the locker room would give him heat for it.

Again, you guys really need to listen to Tasty. The man knows his shit. I've said it before, and I'll say it now, that Shamrock's game was based on grounding his opponent, working on their legs, and making them tap. The argument that he's too small means bullshit, when you realize that Mayweather was smaller than him, and knocked out Big Show.

And if Mayweather is a "legit" badass, then check out Shamrock's early MMA career.

I'll never question whether Tastycles' repertoire of knowledge is far beyond what mine will ever be, but we all can be biased one way or the other when it comes to applying that knowledge toward a potential winner.

I would never suggest that Ken is too small to ever be able to defeat the Big Show, I would suggest that Ken is too cocky to be respected enough to be allowed by a rational booker to beat Big Show and that even in Ken's prime he was overrated.

Mayweather's win was saturated with outside interference where Ezekiel Jackson got more spots in than Mayweather. If Ken brought his entire MMA crew to offer the same kind of support, I'd believe that he can decisively beat Big Show.

Big Show would do his thing and allow Ken to get a few submission moves in, but if Ken tries hooking Big Show and thereby risking injury, Big Show will be able to easily end this one in the same manner when Sting pinned Jeff Hardy.

In terms of career, influence and drawing ability and sheer talent, Show is the winner. In an actual match, however, I'm undecided.

Show has lost. A lot. Yes he is a giant but he has never had a long, dominant stretch in his entire career. He has losses to guys like Angle and Lesnar so who is to say Shamrock couldn't beat him. Ken is a legitimate fighter with a great skill set and is a far greater threat than Mayweather. I prefer Big Show but, in an actual match, Shamrock has to win this.

I went with Shamrock. Of course Show has had the more successful and significant career. For this one I went with who I think would be booked to win. Shamrock wasn't around long but he did pretty well for himself in tournament situations. He won KOTR in 1998 and won a tournament for the vacant IC title a few months later. I think his style would be able to counter the size and strength of Big Show. I know he can do a pretty sweet counter to a chokeslam from watching his match against Undertaker at Backlash 99. Show is good but he's no Taker and I can see Shamrock getting Show to tap to that counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back