Who Wins This Match?

• Hulk Hogan

• Goldberg

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the Flair Region and it is a Pure Rules match. It will be held at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C.

verizoncenter.jpg

Rules: This match is won by pinfall, submission, countout or disqualification. There are three special rules.

1. Wrestlers can only be saved by the ropes three times. If their rope breaks are used up, reaching the ropes in a pin or hold has no effect whatsoever.

2. Closed fists are illegal. The first punch thrown will result in a warning, the second in the loss of a rope break, and the third is an automatic DQ.

3. The wrestlers have a twenty count to return to the ring instead of ten.

Hulk-Hogan-America.jpg

#2. Hulk Hogan

Vs.

Goldberg%2B7.png

#7. Goldberg

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted

Oh man, Hogan not being able to throw closed fists. How is he going to Hulk up? I think the stipulation definitely swings this in favor of Goldberg, but I'm gonna read some more arguments before I cast my vote.

Oh man, Hogan not being able to throw closed fists. How is he going to Hulk up? I think the stipulation definitely swings this in favor of Goldberg, but I'm gonna read some more arguments before I cast my vote.

All of the rules favor Goldberg. Hogan, as a face or a heel, used the ropes a number of times for breaks in big matches, and we all know about the closed fists. Goldberg, I don't think ever, used the ropes for a break, and probably never used a punch. He would be entirely unaffected, while Hogan would need to change his whole gameplan.

Goldberg wins.

No close fists for Hogan? So that means only to Hulk Ups for Hogan. So the question is, are two Hulk Ups able to beat Goldberg? I think not. Goldberg defeated Hogan in 1998 in 8 minutes. 8 minutes.

How would Goldberg stand against a prime Hogan though? I think WM 6 gives us the answer. Hogan was known for beating heels and has history of putting big babyfaces (like Warrior) over. Goldberg was over. Insanely over. I'm pretty sure Goldberg would win.

The match ends in this way: Hogan can't beat Goldberg with two Hulk ups/Leg drops. Hogan goes for a third Hulk up, he remembers the rules, hesitates, Goldberg catches him with an insane spear, Jackhammer and cover.

Hogan uses up his rope breaks & is almost DQ'd for using his fists. Other than that I see the match going like the one Hulk lost to Goldberg for the title. Nothing besides legacy is in favor of Hogan here & Goldberg owns a victory over Hulk so that kinda negates that.

Well the stips kind of suck for Hogan. Even in a straight one-on-one Hogan would have had it tough against Goldberg, but without being able to use closed fists? It takes away like... half of Hogan's offense and barely hinders Goldberg.

The stipulations give Hogan an excuse to lose so I'd expect a Goldberg win here.

I'm not entirely sure who I'm going with here though I'm leaning towards Hogan (I dislike the argument that because Wrestler A was put over Wrestler B in a match that means they'd win). I mainly just came here to say BLECH. This match looks so bad on paper, a technical wrestling specialty match with two of the least technically proficient main eventers of the last 30 years. I'd rather watch Andre circa the early 90s vs. Khali in an Ultimate X match...actually that would be perversely entertaining, assuming Andre's legs didn't literally snap in half.

Goldberg was a big deal but only for about three years, whereas Hogan was the biggest star in the business for over a decade. Also, and this is one of the few instances I can say this, but Hulk was miles ahead of Goldberg as a worker, which is more about just how bad Bill was in the ring. Pure wrestling matches always went long, can you even remember more than maybe three Goldberg matches that went over 10 minutes?

Hogan in a wash. Prime Hogan had a lot technical style that he used when he was in Japan, he just didn't use it here because he didn't need it. Now, the match calls for it, and Hogan has the technical skills that Goldberg never has had. This match would take a lot of time and intense physical exertion. Hogan, while not Ric Flair or Bret Hart in the "Marathon Man" discussions, has gone WAY longer then Goldberg is capable of going with his gassed out football physique. Goldberg is all about explosion and quick finishes. Hogan weathers the early storm and this his superior endurance and technical skill carries him to victory over Goldberg.

Also, the match is held in WWF/E territory, not WCW. The crowd is on Hogan's side here to help give him any little extra bit of energy that he needs. Vote Hogan. The better wrestler in all facets.

Yes Hogan had technical skills that he rarely displayed on this side of the pond. Hogan in Japan is someone that any fan should take the time to watch. They'd gain a new appreciation for him.

That said... even in Japan, the punch was a go to move in his arsenal. It's just something ingrained into the guy. Hogan punches people. Even during his do no wrong WWF heyday... the go to knock on him was that he broke more rules than most of his rulebreaking opponents with all the closed fist punches.

I simply don't think he'd be able to control himself. He'd make a big display of trying not to do it. He'd hit a couple and get penalized early on. There'd be several spots where he wound up and pulled his punch at the last moment. But late in the match, there'd be a moment when he didn't think about it for a brief second and that would be it. Hogan would be dq'd for using the closed fisted punch one too many times.

And truthfully, it's the exact type of way Hogan would be happy to lose a match. He doesn't get pinned. He doesn't submit. He doesn't lose face whatsoever.

Bad draw for Hulk. Lucky one for Goldberg.

Biggest circle jerk for kind of wrestlers we have here. Goldberg beat Hogan in one of Hogan's prime. As great as Hulk Hogan was, Hollywood Hogan was a monster as well. Slightly whiny maybe.

Prime Hogan lost to another face in Warrior. SO I am not sure who to give it to here. If I go by longevity of course Hogan, but as hot as Goldy was I do not want to be hasty.

I'm completely torn here. In actually Hogan should win this match as he was one of the biggest and most important pro wrestlers of all time, while Goldberg was a massive flash in the pan. But to be fair about the stip [otherwise what's the point right?] it renders most of Hogan's primary offense ineffective. Goldberg did have some MMA based offense that he did use in Japan to counter Hogan's grappling ability that he picked up in Japan, and the kayfabe advantage is on his side. The Hogan that worked Japan is the one we'll see here. Otherwise the match won't work. And I'm sure fans will be shocked to see it too.

I'm on the fence. I'm going to let this match play out a bit more. Tough one.

Jesus, could you imagine a more inappropriate match type to book these two into? My argument is going to ignore the stipulation largely, because I don't think it helps either particularly, and at their best, they were both good guys unlikely to resort to BS to win. Hogan is a much better and more important pro wrestler than Goldberg. However, Goldberg beat him when he was at his nWo height. The guy most similar to Goldberg in the Hulkamania days was Warrior, who also beat Hogan clean. For me those two factors have to sway this in Goldberg's favour.

Reactions: NSL
Ironically, I expected an easy win for Hulk Hogan here.

And here I see Goldberg winning here easily.

The stipulation itself describes Goldberg win. Adding icing to the cake is that Gokdberg has already defeated Hulk Hogan.

Although Hulk Hogan is much better than Goldberg, Yet Goldberg easily wins here.

Goldberg

Bad stipulation for Hogan here, and one that doesn't affect Goldberg as much.

After making use of 2 of his 3 strikes for reaching the ropes/using a closed fist punch, Hulk will end up punching Goldberg again out of desperation, resulting a DQ and the win for Goldberg.

In another type of gimmick match, or a regular match, I'd probably lean towards Hogan if he was in his prime, but Goldberg was unstoppable at his peak (which included defeating Hulk for the WCW Title), and when you add in that Hogan isn't going to be able to Hulk Up without getting DQ'd, it gives 'Bergy a big advantage here.

Winner by DQ: Goldberg

Uh I ll give this Hogan and Im chucking the fucking stips out the window here. Goldberg was hot as hell in his run, but Hogan was someone who had 2 primes as the top face and then the top heel. That is a monumental achievement as he was the focal point of two of the hottest periods in wrestling.

Go for Hogan.

This is a match between the biggest star in history vs. a flash in the pan. This is a stipulation that favors technical wrestling, and only one of these guys has that in his repertoire. Hogan has these abilities, you can go watch him work in Japan. Goldberg doesn't. People act like Goldberg didn't throw punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back