Who Wins This Match?

• Chris Jericho

• CM Punk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the Flair Region and it is a 2/3 Falls match. It will be held at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C.

verizoncenter.jpg

Rules: The first person to win two falls wins. A fall can be earned by pinfall, submission, countout or disqualification.

chris-jericho-20110506000318853-000.jpg

#4. Chris Jericho

Vs.

cm-punk.jpg

#5. CM Punk

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted

Punk all the way here. The stipulation is even for both guys, but they had a fairly high profile feud a few years back and Punk won every major match they had, including a street fight.

Punk all the way here. The stipulation is even for both guys, but they had a fairly high profile feud a few years back and Punk won every major match they had, including a street fight.

While I agree with most of this, I disagree on the stipulation being even. Jericho would undoubtedly be the heel here, which means he would lose one fall off a DQ or count-out, or some other bullshit. I really want Jericho to win here though, so I'll hold off on voting until I see more arguments.

While I agree with most of this, I disagree on the stipulation being even. Jericho would undoubtedly be the heel here, which means he would lose one fall off a DQ or count-out, or some other bullshit. I really want Jericho to win here though, so I'll hold off on voting until I see more arguments.

Don't let your personal idolization of Jericho cloud you. This feud happened, and Punk dominated it. He beat Jericho in the Elimination Chamber, he beat him in a street fight, and he made him tap at Wrestlemania 28. I agree that Jericho would likely play the heel, but how often in 2/3 falls do you see the heel DQ himself to try to gain an advantage only to have that lost fall cost him? Everything is working against Jericho here. Punk wins, and it shouldn't be that close.

I don't know, the 2012 Punk/Jericho feud isn't as cut and dry as it may seem. This happened at a time when Jericho was being used to put over everybody he faced, so of course he wasn't going to be beating the hottest guy in the company, especially as a part-time guy. If this were 2012 Punk against 2002 Jericho, it's a completely different story.

I haven't decided yet but I'm hoping for some more arguments other than, "that one time Punk beat an over the hill Jericho."

Well, over the hill Jericho just beat AJ at Mania & he is considered by many as the most over guy currently on the roster. That is beside the point though as I fully think that Mania was a bad dream I had from eating too many tacos so close to bedtime. Nothing else explains the backwards booking of that night.

On to this match. History shows Punk winning against Jericho. The actual match W/L record should always be given higher standing in voting over other criteria if we are playing by any set of rules in this thing. Saying things like "oh Jericho put him over" or using the phrase "past his prime" is really just a half cocked excuse to justify a loss. When legends come back, they are still billed as a threat, otherwise it would mean nothing for a guy to beat some old wrestler from years ago. Taker is still Taker, Rock is still Rock, Jericho is still Jericho. Kayfabe says they are huge stars & worthy opponents, regardless of age.

Both guys here made their career working up from the bottom to become best in the world. Jericho may be considered the best IC champ by some & his big time matches are truly things to be proud of. Problem here is that Punk had a historic WWE title run that trumps Jericho & his overly repeated Undisputed title win that lasted a short amount of time. Even with that belt & his other major title wins, Chris was never considered to be the man. Punk was during his run. The guy was electric & he busted his ass to be the top guy. A guy who beat the #1 company man in Cena to start one of the better storylines & feuds of the decade.

Punk wins this. Bigger run at the top & actual match record over his opponent here says so.

I don't know, the 2012 Punk/Jericho feud isn't as cut and dry as it may seem. This happened at a time when Jericho was being used to put over everybody he faced, so of course he wasn't going to be beating the hottest guy in the company, especially as a part-time guy. If this were 2012 Punk against 2002 Jericho, it's a completely different story.

I haven't decided yet but I'm hoping for some more arguments other than, "that one time Punk beat an over the hill Jericho."
Ah, 2002 Jericho. An iconic run highlighted by cheap wins over Rock and Austin in the first two months of the year followed by... Nothing of significance.

Jericho put everybody over that year. RVD. Kane. Flair. Edge. Cena. Triple H. He even looked weaker than the guys he beat.

2012 Jericho is Jericho in a nutshell. Dude's high-profile cannon-fodder.

I vote Punk. He easily measures up to something greater than Jericho.

We've seen this one before and Punk won, although Jericho did have his moments in that feud.

Look, Jericho beat Austin and the Rock on the same night to become the first ever Undisputed Champion. Punk couldn't even beat Rock once after holding the WWE Title 400 and some odd days. The stipulation favors both men IMO and in the categories they're kinda split. Punk is better on the mic, they're pretty even in the ring, Jericho has the better legacy and accolades, and neither one were ever really outstanding draws.

Idk who to vote for here.

Ah, 2002 Jericho. An iconic run highlighted by cheap wins over Rock and Austin in the first two months of the year followed by... Nothing of significance.

I'm not the most literal guy in the world. When I say 2002 Jericho, I'm talking about the Jericho of that time period, not literally Jericho in the year 2002. I'm talking about the guy who beat HHH in a World title match in 2000 and than went on to beat Benoit in one of the best ladder matches ever at the Royal Rumble. The guy who teamed up with Benoit to beat HHH and Austin for the tag titles shortly after that, and than beat Austin and the Rock more than once in a 3 month period. You know, The Rock? The guy that Punk couldn't beat 10 years after the fact? He also did something Punk never was able to do, headline a Wrestlemania.

Jericho put everybody over that year. RVD. Kane. Flair. Edge. Cena. Triple H. He even looked weaker than the guys he beat.

He also beat more high profile guys than Punk ever did. And let's not act like Punk was some God either. I specifically remember him losing to guys like Jack Swagger, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, and Randy Orton before his run on top began.

2012 Jericho is Jericho in a nutshell. Dude's high-profile cannon-fodder.

2012 Jericho is the Jericho that lost to Fandango. How you can say he's the same guy that wrestled 10-15 years ago is beyond me... unless you've never actually watched Jericho from back in the day.

I vote Punk. He easily measures up to something greater than Jericho.

Subjectively of course.

Look, I don't think taking in the time period of the feud is as ridiculous as some are making it out to be. As I mentioned, Jericho also lost to Fandango at this time so are people going to try and convince me that Fandango would have gone over a primed Jericho? When this feud happened Jericho was at the tail end of his career and was primarily used as a means of propping up Punk's title reign. Other factors should play into this.

I'm not the most literal guy in the world. When I say 2002 Jericho, I'm talking about the Jericho of that time period, not literally Jericho in the year 2002. I'm talking about the guy who beat HHH in a World title match in 2000 and than went on to beat Benoit in one of the best ladder matches ever at the Royal Rumble. The guy who teamed up with Benoit to beat HHH and Austin for the tag titles shortly after that, and than beat Austin and the Rock more than once in a 3 month period. You know, The Rock? The guy that Punk couldn't beat 10 years after the fact? He also did something Punk never was able to do, headline a Wrestlemania.
He didn't beat Triple H in 2000 for the title. It was a fast count. Will someone be fast counting Punk?

Why do I give a good goddamn who beat Chris Benoit? It's not a towering feat.

Tag success has what bearing here?

And Jericho tried every underhanded tactic in the book against Punk. Unlike with Austin and Rock, Punk didn't fall for Jericho's shit.

Advantage: Punk.

He also beat more high profile guys than Punk ever did. And let's not act like Punk was some God either. I specifically remember him losing to guys like Jack Swagger, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, and Randy Orton before his run on top began.
Which brings us to THE POINT.

Large is font so you all know where to look:

Punk has enjoyed sustained success for a period longer than Jericho ever did. Jericho's career is a few soft peaks separated by him being cannon fodder.

For a sustained period, Punk was a legit top guy in the WWE, competitive with John Cena for the role of face of the company. Jericho never came close to being Rock or Austin's superior. Punk nearly got there with Cena.

Is Punk some God? No. He's just the better man here.

2012 Jericho is the Jericho that lost to Fandango. How you can say he's the same guy that wrestled 10-15 years ago is beyond me... unless you've never actually watched Jericho from back in the day.
Jericho dropping falls to rookies is something he did back in the day. He ate falls from Cena when the dude was a generic greenhorn who would be jobbing on Velocity subsequent to his win with Jericho.

Who didn't watch back in the day again?

Subjectively of course.
If this is something you feel is a meaningful contribution to the conversation, then I'll offer something equally substantive and request that you do us all a favor and go suck a railroad spike.

As I mentioned, Jericho also lost to Fandango at this time so are people going to try and convince me that Fandango would have gone over a primed Jericho?
I can't imagine a time when Jericho wouldn't eat a fall to one of the day's dubious hot up-and-comers.

Pick any time in Jericho's career you want and there's a similarly questionable slump.

In 2010, Jericho retained the big gold belt. A few months later, he was sucking Evan Bourne's dust.

Jericho had arguably his best year ever in 2008. He dropped a belt to Kofi Kingston that year. A few months into the following year, he was selling for barely mobile legends. He followed that up by losing to JTG.

Jericho enjoys soft highs but is a supporting character.

For a while, Punk was legit competition for the Man.

That makes Punk better than Jericho.

Other factors should play into this according to you? Find me a factor that works in Jericho's favour. Punk probably even has better taste in music.

I don't see how Punk goes over here. Anything Punk has done Jericho has done, for longer. Basically anything you argue for Punk for other promotions (ROH) Jericho did in his career. Jericho might of not had the cult following Punk did but how's the pop Jericho got from the crowd when he debuted in WWE, way bigger than CM Punk got. Against the Rock as well, not easy to do. So even though Jericho didn't get a fair shot in WCW, he was still able to make enough of an impact without even given his time to shine like Punk was, in his time from WCW, though was good in Japan/ Mexico etc.

Now let's look at their WWE careers. What has CM Punk ever done apart from lay a 'pipebomb'. His year long reign is probably one of the worst reigns in recent time. If you're the WWE champion and you're constantly not closing the shows and are just used as a stepping stone it just goes to show you don't really mean that much. I mean 5 main events out of the 17 you were champion. Get out of here. Sure he has beaten one of the greatest ever in Cena, but that is nothing on beating The Rock and Stone Cold in the same night. One of CM Punks other reigns was because of Jeff Hardy. The other he loses without even defending. Chris Jerichos were nothing special but they weren't as bad as Punks. Plus when Jericho isn't in the main event he is still just as good. You can't say the same for Punks forgettable reigns as every other champion.

In terms of in ring skill Jericho surely takes it. CM Punk is so overrated in the ring it's annoying. How many times does he execute a move without looking like he is struggling or it just doesn't look fluent at all. On the mic you can't really give tha advantage to either though I do like Jericho better. The Jericho with the most disgusting beard in history finds a way to beat CM Punk allowing CM Punk to create another Colt Cobanana Classic.

Why do I give a good goddamn who beat Chris Benoit? It's not a towering feat.

At a time when Benoit was coming out of the main event being booked as basically unbeatable, it kind of was. But that's besides the point.

Tag success has what bearing here?

Pinning Stone Cold Steve Austin has bearing in any situation.

And Jericho tried every underhanded tactic in the book against Punk. Unlike with Austin and Rock, Punk didn't fall for Jericho's shit.

Advantage: Punk.

"Didn't fall for Jericho's shit". I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Jericho was very effective in getting in Punk's head and breaking him down throughout that feud. Again, the only reason Punk won that feud was because it took place in 2012... there was never going to be any other outcome so acting like Punk is some, yeah "God", for beating a part-time Y2J is ridiculous.

Punk has enjoyed sustained success for a period longer than Jericho ever did. Jericho's career is a few soft peaks separated by him being cannon fodder.

A few soft peaks. Guy's a 6 time World Champion throughout 3 different eras. CM Punk was a relative unknown for 9 years of his career and had a really hot 2 and a half year run. But it was only two and a half years.

For a sustained period, Punk was a legit top guy in the WWE, competitive with John Cena for the role of face of the company. Jericho never came close to being Rock or Austin's superior. Punk nearly got there with Cena.

Punk was never going to be the face of the company. He may have been the top merch seller for a time but he was never going to be the company guy that they relied on... never. I think the fact that he was booked as an afterthought as champ kind of proves that. And even if he was, Punk got over in a time when the fans were desperate for anybody but Cena. Seriously, who did he have to compete with? Sheamus, Del Rio, Orton? Let me know when he can win championships and supersede guys like Austin, Rock, and Hogan.

Is Punk some God? No. He's just the better man here.

Again, subjectively.

Jericho dropping falls to rookies is something he did back in the day. He ate falls from Cena when the dude was a generic greenhorn who would be jobbing on Velocity subsequent to his win with Jericho.

Yeah, John Cena who became... John Cena. And I'm pretty sure Jericho wanted Cena to go over him, let's not hold the fact that he gave back to the business against him.

If this is something you feel is a meaningful contribution to the conversation, then I'll offer something equally substantive and request that you do us all a favor and go suck a railroad spike.

Tetanus. ughf.

I can't imagine a time when Jericho wouldn't eat a fall to one of the day's dubious hot up-and-comers.

Pick any time in Jericho's career you want and there's a similarly questionable slump.

In 2010, Jericho retained the big gold belt. A few months later, he was sucking Evan Bourne's dust.

Jericho had arguably his best year ever in 2008. He dropped a belt to Kofi Kingston that year. A few months into the following year, he was selling for barely mobile legends. He followed that up by losing to JTG.

Jericho enjoys soft highs but is a supporting character.

For a while, Punk was legit competition for the Man.

That makes Punk better than Jericho.

You make good points here, and I don't like to say that... Still, your assessment that 1+1=4 rings hollow. Punk was not legit competition to be the man and even if he were, other things still have to be taken into account like who the hell both guys were competing with and in what era.

Jericho came into WWE at a time when Austin, Rock, HHH, Taker, Foley, etc. were still around and kicking ass. He won the title after the WCW merger which led to guys like Hogan, Nash, Steiner, and Goldberg coming in. Punk became a top guy during a period when the roster was the most depleted and bland in history.

Other factors should play into this according to you? Find me a factor that works in Jericho's favour. Punk probably even has better taste in music.

Jericho had a bigger impact on the business. He's won 6 World title throughout 3 eras and has been instrumental in building WWE's future. Also, he's beaten tougher competitors than CM Punk such as Angle and Benoit. Anything Punk has done, Jericho has done it first and on a grander stage. Punk's the longest reigning WWE champ in modern history? Jericho's the first ever WWE Undisputed champ in history. Punk was an indie darling with a cult following? Jericho was the original indie darling. As for taste in music, I don't know, but Fozzy's pretty shit.

The Jericho fan boys need to realise that he's largely been irrelevant for his whole career. A solid hand who flirted, but ultimately failed, with headline success.

Punk was the hottest thing in wrestling for, like, two weeks.

I don't see how Punk goes over here. Anything Punk has done Jericho has done, for longer.
Chris Jericho has been world champion for a total of around 219 days.

One of CM Punk's five world championship reigns lasted for nearly twice as long.

Thank you for opening on a lie and establishing what sort of grasp you have of the facts.

Basically anything you argue for Punk for other promotions (ROH) Jericho did in his career. Jericho might of not had the cult following Punk did but how's the pop Jericho got from the crowd when he debuted in WWE, way bigger than CM Punk got. Against the Rock as well, not easy to do.
Prior to his WWE debut, Jericho enjoyed years of national television exposure at a time when wrestling was hot and, as a result, guys were having an easier time getting hot. There is no basis for comparison. But if you're dying to compare, Punk coming in hot from the indies and quickly building a solid fanbase on WWE's definitive C-brand is impressive. Punk would ride that momentum to become the only C-brand representative to ever win Money in the Bank. Over Chris Jericho at WM24. ;)

You can try to capture isolated pops for Jericho and make them out to be more than they are. Look at the long term. Look at the trend. This is Punk all day.

Why don't you go back to being ignorant in sports discussions so I'm less likely to interact with you?

Now let's look at their WWE careers. What has CM Punk ever done apart from lay a 'pipebomb'.
Five time world champ. Former IC and tag champ. IC, tag, and world champ all over the course of a single year. Back-to-back MITB winner. Monster merch numbers. Video game covers.

You can be as reductive as you want. Punk was one of the faces of the franchise following the pipebomb. He was hot for a minute and a genuine main eventer from there on out. He never overtook Cena, but he was closer to being The Man than Jericho has ever been.

His year long reign is probably one of the worst reigns in recent time.
I feel like people say this about every title reign.

If you're the WWE champion and you're constantly not closing the shows and are just used as a stepping stone it just goes to show you don't really mean that much.
Punk was overshadowed by things like Rock vs Cena, Brock's return match, and a major authority figure storyline involving Cena. By the time MITB rolled around, the only reason Punk and Bryan weren't closing that show is because WWE had already decided to commit to Punk as a heel who feels disrespected for the aforementioned. Far from a disaster. And Punk was more significant main event level guy during this run than Jericho had ever been.

All of which leaves out that the only reason Jericho ever headlined Mania 18 was because WWE hadn't learned yet that the real main event should close regardless of who has the title. And Jericho was never the real main event. Which is why the Rumble winner's title shot didn't come close to closing WM26. ;)

I'm failing to see any way in which Jericho is superior to Punk.

Sure he has beaten one of the greatest ever in Cena, but that is nothing on beating The Rock and Stone Cold in the same night.
Punk was booked as a near equal to Cena for over a year.

Jericho was an afterthought who go lucky one night after enough shenanigans to make Vince Russo blush. And those matches are such a disgrace that WWE fails to this day to compellingly make them look like career highlights in pre-match video packages designed to build Jericho up as a legend. Vengeance 2001 was a joke. Anyone who's ever sat through it knows this.

One of CM Punks other reigns was because of Jeff Hardy.
Who in 2008 and 2009 was arguably the hottest star in wrestling.

I'd vote Jeff Hardy over Jericho too. Thanks for reminding me.

The other he loses without even defending.
WWE really went out of their way to protect Punk there. Always a good sign.

Chris Jerichos were nothing special but they weren't as bad as Punks. Plus when Jericho isn't in the main event he is still just as good. You can't say the same for Punks forgettable reigns as every other champion.
Jericho may be a 19 time IC champ or whatever it is now. All that tells me is that he frequently settles back into the midcard where he belongs. As for memorable reigns, I remember nothing about Jericho as IC champ aside from a few isolate matches. His reigns are monumentally unimportant in spite of the number of them.

JeriShow was cool and it was probably Y2J's best title run ever. But it's still not enough for me to vote for him.

In terms of in ring skill Jericho surely takes it. CM Punk is so overrated in the ring it's annoying. How many times does he execute a move without looking like he is struggling or it just doesn't look fluent at all.
Says the guy defending Chris Jericho?

If CM Punk has lead in his ass, Jericho must be packing a 42 pound cannonball up his puckered, bedazzled posterior.

At a time when Benoit was coming out of the main event being booked as basically unbeatable, it kind of was. But that's besides the point.
You mean that main event run where all the main eventers took turns beating him?

Yes, impressive stuff.

Pinning Stone Cold Steve Austin has bearing in any situation.
Will Jericho be receiving the same help against Punk that he received in that match?

"Didn't fall for Jericho's shit". I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Jericho was very effective in getting in Punk's head and breaking him down throughout that feud.
I'm happy you acknowledge the possibility that you might be wrong. It should soften the blow of what I'm going to tell you next: You're wrong.

Jericho got in Punk's head so much that Punk beat Jericho and retained his belt every single time.

Punk: 1, Jericho: 0

A few soft peaks. Guy's a 6 time World Champion throughout 3 different eras.
And this disproves my point how? He was a filler champion a few times over the course of a lengthy upper midcard career. You're helping me here.

CM Punk was a relative unknown for 9 years of his career and had a really hot 2 and a half year run. But it was only two and a half years.
And those two and a half years were years during which Punk was a bigger star than Jericho ever was.

Using that same standard, I'd vote Goldberg and Warrior over Jericho as well. Quality years over quantity all the way.

I'd also vote Warrior and Goldberg over Punk though. I guess what I'm saying is Warrior/Goldberg > Punk >>>>>>>>> Jericho.

Punk was never going to be the face of the company. He may have been the top merch seller for a time but he was never going to be the company guy that they relied on... never.
Maybe, maybe not. But pretending it wasn't competitive is asinine. When GQ wants to talk to CM Punk instead of John Cena, you need to stop and think. When video game companies want CM Punk on their cover rather than John Cena, you need to stop and think.

Jericho may have been part of a group shot video game cover at some point. But he never got as close to the crown as Punk did.

And even if he was, Punk got over in a time when the fans were desperate for anybody but Cena. Seriously, who did he have to compete with? Sheamus, Del Rio, Orton?
And yet Punk was markedly more over than those other Cenalternatives. Go figure.

Let me know when he can win championships and supersede guys like Austin, Rock, and Hogan.
Let me know when Jericho can lose a world title and avoid falling off the face of the earth in the subsequent months. Punk got within striking distance of Cena's spot and maintained a berth at the top of the card for two and a half years. Jericho, on the other hand, follows up his title reigns by eating clean falls to Evan Bourne.

Another point to Punk.

Yeah, John Cena who became... John Cena.
One of the few losers Jericho's laid down for turning into somebody doesn't surprise me. You eat enough falls, one of them is bound to be somebody.

And I'm pretty sure Jericho wanted Cena to go over him, let's not hold the fact that he gave back to the business against him.
In this context I will. Ultimate Warrior is a bigger star because he didn't give back. Jericho is a loser.

You make good points here, and I don't like to say that... Still, your assessment that 1+1=4 rings hollow.
Polish up on your math and your reading comprehension and get back to me.

Punk was not legit competition to be the man and even if he were,
You wouldn't be saying "even if he were" if you were really convinced of your perspective.

You know I'm right.

Jericho came into WWE at a time when Austin, Rock, HHH, Taker, Foley, etc. were still around and kicking ass. He won the title after the WCW merger which led to guys like Hogan, Nash, Steiner, and Goldberg coming in.
tumblr_inline_n9wrcsw0My1scqhcy.gif

The notion that those guys are insecure enough in their star power that they'd need to see a Chris Jericho title win as a green light... Well, that might just be the stupidest moment of this tournament this year.

Jericho had a bigger impact on the business. He's won 6 World title throughout 3 eras and has been instrumental in building WWE's future.
Not really. If Jericho weren't there to lay down for the stars of tomorrow, someone else would be.

Stars are instrumental.

Jericho's a utility player. Dime a dozen.

Also, he's beaten tougher competitors than CM Punk such as Angle and Benoit.
You're really looking at those AE technicians through blinders, eh?

Punk was an indie darling with a cult following?
No. CM Punk is a WWE Superstar who happened to work on the indies at one point. Punk was in WWE just as long as he was on the indies. He is a significant part of wrestling history in this century. Dismissing him because people on the internet used to like his high school gym matches is moronic.

Vote Punk. Don't be a moron.

If we're going to laud Jericho for beating Austin and Rock in the same night, we should probably note that the only memorable aspect of his subsequent title run was that he lost the belts to a returning Triple H. Chris Jericho was never truly considered to be the man, he was just looked at as a guy with belts that he had no business carrying.

Wait wait, I'm forgetting that one other thing. True story; Jericho was the last to leave the arena, so he had to deal with hellacious traffic. When he got back to his hotel, he ordered a pizza and left it and the belts on the bed while he left the room for a second. He locked himself out of his room and didn't have any ID on him, when the hotel staff asked him to describe what's inside the room to verify his identity he was all "There are two wrestling championships and one cold pizza". Ah, memories.

When Punk won a title, he owned that title. When Punk lost a title, he made his opponent look damn good for beating him. I can't imagine Punk being legit beaten by Jericho, to my knowledge it's never happened.

Easy choice here, Vote Punk.

You mean that main event run where all the main eventers took turns beating him?

Yes, impressive stuff.

You love to mention the funny booking when it comes to Jericho but ignore it when it comes to anyone else. Benoit had decisions reversed, went unpinned in multi-man matches, and didn't lose clean until Jericho beat him at Mania. But again, besides the point.

I'm happy you acknowledge the possibility that you might be wrong. It should soften the blow of what I'm going to tell you next: You're wrong.

Jericho got in Punk's head so much that Punk beat Jericho and retained his belt every single time.

Punk: 1, Jericho: 0

Oh good God. Did you miss the part about me saying that Jericho was never going to go over Punk in this feud? Go back and watch that program. Punk is clearly unbalanced by the tactics of Jericho, it's obvious in his promos and actions. Put this feud in a situation in which Jericho has a chance of winning, like say, hmmm this tournament maybe, and those mind games work in his favor.

So actually: Jericho 1, Punk: 0... See I can be a petulant child as well.

And those two and a half years were years during which Punk was a bigger star than Jericho ever was.

Star in what way? Booking perspective maybe, but Jericho was just as popular as Punk was during his first face run in the WWE. You're acting like Punk broke the barriers and received fan support that we've never seen before and that's not true. Jericho was massively over, just as much as Punk was but, unlike Punk, he was stuck in an era of legit superstars. All CM Punk had to do was break script one time to get over. Without that pipe bomb, the guy is a footnote.

Using that same standard, I'd vote Goldberg and Warrior over Jericho as well. Quality years over quantity all the way.

I'd also vote Warrior and Goldberg over Punk though. I guess what I'm saying is Warrior/Goldberg > Punk >>>>>>>>> Jericho.

Well good, that's your criteria. I for one am taking everything into consideration in a match like this. With two guys so evenly matched, I'm going with the man who had the better career and will be looked at more fondly, and that's Jericho.

Maybe, maybe not. But pretending it wasn't competitive is asinine. When GQ wants to talk to CM Punk instead of John Cena, you need to stop and think. When video game companies want CM Punk on their cover rather than John Cena, you need to stop and think.

Yeah, it's called a fad. Like Warrior, like Goldberg, like Luger, etc. What do all of these guys have in common? Each was ridiculously over for a short period of time and seen as the next coming of Christ, and what happened. They couldn't sustain it. I never said Punk was not competitive with Cena, I said the idea that the company would have made him their number 1 guy over Cena is ludicrous, for obvious reasons.

And yet Punk was markedly more over than those other Cenalternatives. Go figure.

I wouldn't call Punk markedly more over than Orton, but sure, I'll give you this one. Yes, Punk was more over than Del Rio and Sheamus... a remarkable feat.

Let me know when Jericho can lose a world title and avoid falling off the face of the earth in the subsequent months. Punk got within striking distance of Cena's spot and maintained a berth at the top of the card for two and a half years. Jericho, on the other hand, follows up his title reigns by eating clean falls to Evan Bourne.

Another point to Punk.

I object to this point system. It seems rigged.

One of the few losers Jericho's laid down for turning into somebody doesn't surprise me. You eat enough falls, one of them is bound to be somebody.

And yet, Cena's the only name you mentioned from that time period. Go figure.

In this context I will. Ultimate Warrior is a bigger star because he didn't give back. Jericho is a loser.

Ok.

Polish up on your math and your reading comprehension and get back to me.

No, I don't think I will.

You wouldn't be saying "even if he were" if you were really convinced of your perspective.

Not true. I said "even if he were" to further solidify my point. But if you said it, it must be right. You obviously know me better than I do.

You know I'm right.

Actually, I'm very convinced that you're wrong.

tumblr_inline_n9wrcsw0My1scqhcy.gif

The notion that those guys are insecure enough in their star power that they'd need to see a Chris Jericho title win as a green light... Well, that might just be the stupidest moment of this tournament this year.

:disappointed:

And you say I'm the one who needs to brush up on my reading comprehension. The WCW merger led to guys like Hogan, Steiner, Goldberg, etc. coming into the fold at a time when Jericho was beginning his main event run. I'm not saying Jericho was the friggin reason for those guys coming in.

Not really. If Jericho weren't there to lay down for the stars of tomorrow, someone else would be.

Except they haven't been. Jericho's the guy who comes back and builds the future. Only other guy on his level is Cena.

Stars are instrumental.

As Jericho was throughout 3 different eras. Punk was instrumental for one thing, being the longest reigning WWE champ in modern history. He didn't change the business, he didn't revolutionize anything. He left and everything stayed just as it was.

Jericho's a utility player. Dime a dozen.

And Punk was a flash in the pan. I'll take a 20 year vet with multiple World titles under his belt.

You're really looking at those AE technicians through blinders, eh?

If you're implying that Punk was a better competitor than Angle or Benoit, I don't know what to say.

No. CM Punk is a WWE Superstar who happened to work on the indies at one point. Punk was in WWE just as long as he was on the indies. He is a significant part of wrestling history in this century. Dismissing him because people on the internet used to like his high school gym matches is moronic.

Vote Punk. Don't be a moron.

Yes, if you disagree with Coco, you're a moron. New rule.

I'm going to leave this here because anything further will just result in going around in circles. Vote for the guy who actually did something in the wrestling business. Vote Jericho.

Someone has said this before but Jericho is the most mediocre of mediocre, that mediocre can be.

And he has been mediocre for all his career.

Yep he can talk and make forced jokes, he can kinda do flippy moves and did it in an era where it was incubating in the States so by default making him a pioneer; but dear god Jericho is just mediocre.

Remember when Punk said to him "But you have never been the man like I am the man!" he was absolutely right. Jericho is overrated by many, is cheesy as fuck in everything he does and lacks soul.

The man lacks that intangible, it factor that the Rocks Or Austins had. He was not nearly as fluid as people say he was.

Jericho, is the biggest work since marks decided that Taz was no one to mess with.

Punk wins here, and fuck Punk.

Chris Jericho is one of the most overrated wrestlers in the modern era. No doubt he's very good and has given us plenty of good memories over the years, but even with all his experience and accolades, nothing he has ever done can compare to the Summer of Punk and his 434 day WWE Championship run.

First let's talk about Jericho's strengths: he plays a great heel, he is good on the stick, seems to be a good employee that works well with just about anybody, and I don't think any of his fellow wrestlers have anything bad to say about him.

Now let's talk about his weaknesses: he's possibly the sloppiest long-term main event talent of the modern era, he's never even been a top 3 draw in a major promotion, every single one of his world title runs was as a transitional champion, and what Jericho will be best remembered for is being a guy that nobody ever took too seriously and a guy who did a good job putting the next generation of talent over.

Talent like CM Punk.

Let's talk about CM Punk's weaknesses: He was never able to outdraw John Cena and he had a prickly personality that didn't mesh well with the company he worked for.

And that's pretty much it. He was solid in the ring (sloppy at times, but not to the degree Jericho was), he was great on the mic, he was the second biggest name in the WWE and, along with Daniel Bryan, deserves a ton of credit for changing the landscape of the WWE to one where Cena/HHH/Orton-esque wrestlers make up the top of the main even while everyone else gets to play in the midcard for occasional main event spots.

And CM Punk's WWE Title reign is quite possibly the best title reign since Hulk Hogan's. He had some very memorable feuds with some great matches with wrestlers ranging from John Cena to Mark Henry to Daniel Bryan.

Jericho couldn't get a great match out of Mark Henry if his life depended on it.

The summer of Punk was a magical period of wrestling where a guy that had no political pull in the WWE and was quite possibly the antithesis of the "ideal" WWE superstar in the eyes of Vince McMahon was able to not only win the WWE Title, but defend it against the company's top stars, and he held that belt for over a year, a feat that has only been accomplished by a handful of other wrestlers which include names like John Cena, Randy Savage, and Hulk Hogan.

Chris Jericho isn't in the same league as any of those guys. He's not even playing the same game.

Until the Summer of Punk and his year plus championship run, I'd give this one to Jericho. In fact, before the Summer of Punk I'd be shocked that CM Punk even made it this far. But CM Punk dropped his pipe bomb and won the title (then dropped it then won it again) and went onto hold it for over a year. I postulate that summer of Punk and his legendary title reign are more significant than anything Chris Jericho has done in his entire career.

Vote Punk.

Jericho was one of my favorite guys to watch when I was younger. Thought his promos were hilarious and his style was just good enough to leave me interested without overwhelming my senses. On the other hand I have never liked CM Punk. I thought he was only good his last 2 years in the company and I had no idea what the big deal was about his pipe bomb thing that he dropped. If this were a subjective based tournament I would vote Great Khali over Punk. Hell, I would vote R-Truth over Punk. However, this is not a subjective based tournament and I cannot deny that Punk was in fact better than Jericho.

Every year Jericho's stock drops with me a little bit more. I still like the guy; I still carry a similar biased for him that I do for Kane. But Punk has earned his distinction really as the number 2 guy of recent times behind Cena. Orton may be more decorated, but I think Punk was a bit more consistent. And he did have the longest WWE title reign of anyone since the late 80's. That's a massive accomplishment.

It's been like 20 years since Jericho beat Rock and Austin and that's basically the only thing he is known for. And in recent years Jericho has been prone to put a lot of guys over. He put CM Punk himself over. And in a match like this I can readily see Punk winning.

Vote Punk.

Chris Jericho is essentially a Main Event Enhancement Talent. He was used for the most part in his career to get other stars over. How many major feuds did he have where he went over?

He feuded with The Rock and Austin near the end of their main runs with the company, and eventually feuded with Triple H. Triple H won.

After losing the WWE Undisputed Championship, he had a couple of high profile feuds, but never main event feuds. He lost to HBK and Goldberg. He then feuded for the Intercontinental Title.

Then, he was involved in multiman matches but never big main event feuds until he feuded with John Cena for the WWE title. He lost and left the company.

He came back, feuded with Randy Orton, didn't win the title.

Feuded with HBK again. Lost.

Then came the best of his career. He won the World Heavyweight Championship (replacing Punk) and held it for a couple of months until losing to John Cena.

Then he feuded with WAY out of their prime Legends.

His next main even feud was with Edge. He actually won at Wrestlemania, but lost to Jack Swagger (??????) and then lost the feud to Edge shortly after.

He left after some smaller feuds and came back, feuded with Punk and again lost.

He had a midcard feud with Dolph Ziggler and lost.

After that, it's all midcard stuff aside from ANOTHER match with Punk after Punk lost to Taker at Wrestlemania where Jericho lost.

Punk on the other hand, won feuds against John Cena, Jericho and Jeff Hardy. He won the Money in the Bank TWICE. He has the longest WWE Championship reign of the modern era, twice the length of ALL of Jericho's World Title reigns combined. He was also considered a big enough star to face Taker and challenge the streak at Wrestlemania 29.

Jericho is great. Punk is better.

And to add, what would be the bigger sell on an edition of Monday Night Raw..

Chris Jericho returns after his 2 year absence?

CM Punk returns after his 2 year absence?

Punk's return would blow the roof off ANY arena in ANY city, county, state or country.

CM Punk is just way better than Jericho in every matter. Be it in-ring work, mic-skills, accolades.

Standing in competition to John Cena in WWE is a very tough task to do. Jericho can never do it. Punk did it.

Punk had great encounters with Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker, John Cena etc. Yupp Jericho is a great wrestling veteran but he is nowhere near the level of Punk. Punk might be knocked out easily in UFC but in wrestling, Its damn difficult.

I like both guys a lot but I have to go with Punk.

I'm not saying that Jericho didn't work hard to get where he was but Punk just seemed to have the deck stacked against him more. Jericho came in from WCW. WWE took a lot of WCW midcarders and made them stars (Steve Austin, Triple H, Jericho etc). Prior to Punk coming in I don't think WWE signed any indie talents and pushed them particularly hard. They'd be lucky if they got an intercontinental title run. Now look at the WWE landscape they sign tonnes of indie talent and push them hard. That's in part to Punk showing that indie guys can do it well.

Also can we say Jericho has had many memorable feuds? I mean he's had tonnes of brilliant matches but as to feuds the only ones that come to mind are the Shawn Michaels feud from 2008 and the CM Punk feud. Punk had the Jeff Hardy feud, John Cena feud, Chris Jericho feud and Paul Heyman feud. Top that off with the Straight Edge Society was memorable as well and Punk has had more memorable feuds than Jericho a shorter amount of time.

Again I'm not saying Jericho is bad. But if I'm forced to pick between the two I'm going with Punk.

Chris Jericho has been world champion for a total of around 219 days.

One of CM Punk's five world championship reigns lasted for nearly twice as long.

Thank you for opening on a lie and establishing what sort of grasp you have of the facts.

I was talking about just wrestling in general and being at the top of the card. Punk has been at the top of the card, well Chris Jericho has done it for longer and against names that you could argue are bigger than Cena with success, in all different eras.

Prior to his WWE debut, Jericho enjoyed years of national television exposure at a time when wrestling was hot and, as a result, guys were having an easier time getting hot. There is no basis for comparison.

I would argue that being in Mexico and Japan doesn't help your exposure for the American audience but what's the point.

Heath Slater gets tv time now, doesn't mean he is gonna go to any other promotion,interrupt and then go up against one of their goats (and get cheered) and then be a world champion.

But if you're dying to compare, Punk coming in hot from the indies and quickly building a solid fanbase on WWE's definitive C-brand is impressive. Punk would ride that momentum to become the only C-brand representative to ever win Money in the Bank. Over Chris Jericho at WM24. ;)

Okay now that is impressive :shrug:

You can try to capture isolated pops for Jericho and make them out to be more than they are. Look at the long term. Look at the trend. This is Punk all day.

If making out that coming in against The Rock and getting a big pop is more than what it is then you have some high standards. I'm not talking about all time, I was just simply saying it is quite an impressive thing to do for someone who was a nobody in WCW. A lot more impressive than someone coming from Ring of Honor as champ and cutting a promo on ROH saying how he is going to WWE, which got no attention.

If you want to talk all time fine, Punk got a bigger pop than Jericho has ever gotten at MITB. If you want to listen to those fans that say Cena suck then go ahead.

Why don't you go back to being ignorant in sports discussions so I'm less likely to interact with you?

I'm surprised it took you this long to say something like this. Thought it would've been the first sentence. Ah well, you got it in so that's all that matters.

Five time world champ. Former IC and tag champ. IC, tag, and world champ all over the course of a single year. Back-to-back MITB winner. Monster merch numbers. Video game covers.

You say Jerichos IC reigns are forgettable but a few matches, can you even name a IC or world tag team title match Punk has been in? Off the top of my head I can't.

You can be as reductive as you want. Punk was one of the faces of the franchise following the pipebomb. He was hot for a minute and a genuine main eventer from there on out. He never overtook Cena, but he was closer to being The Man than Jericho has ever been.

True, though being the Second star on a championship team isn't easy to do. Jericho has done it for longer than Punk has, whether that be because Punk left or not.

I feel like people say this about every title reign.

Like Nash's, it went on long enough to make that judgement.

Punk was overshadowed by things like Rock vs Cena, Brock's return match, and a major authority figure storyline involving Cena.

So that is meant to back up the champion? I could give you half a point on Brock Lesnar, because just like CM Punk came back the world would go nuts, but that's one PPV. After that you go back to being on top something which he did not do. Any other reason I am just laughing at because it's a weak excuse.

All of which leaves out that the only reason Jericho ever headlined Mania 18 was because WWE hadn't learned yet that the real main event should close regardless of who has the title.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Regardless they still put the champion at the top of the card, on the biggest show no-less.

And Jericho was never the real main event. Which is why the Rumble winner's title shot didn't come close to closing WM26. ;)[/QUOTE]

So other winners of the Rumble since the brand extension that didn't main event Mania include; Taker, Cena, Edge , Mysterio and Del Rio. Not the argument to bring up.

I'm failing to see any way in which Jericho is superior to Punk.

Everything Punk has done apart from a pipe bomb, Jericho has done better.

Punk was booked as a near equal to Cena for over a year.

Yeah now this is something I'll concede to.

Jericho was an afterthought who go lucky one night after enough shenanigans to make Vince Russo blush. And those matches are such a disgrace that WWE fails to this day to compellingly make them look like career highlights in pre-match video packages designed to build Jericho up as a legend. Vengeance 2001 was a joke. Anyone who's ever sat through it knows this.

The good thing about history is you can't throw it away. Jericho beat Rock and Austin in one night, deal with it. It might be hammered in your head but that's because like Bruno's ridiculous ass run, no one has ever done it.

Who in 2008 and 2009 was arguably the hottest star in wrestling.

Exactly so without Jeff Hardy laying down, how much longer would we of waited for Punk to break out?

I'd vote Jeff Hardy over Jericho too. Thanks for reminding me.

:wtf:. And this is where I stop.

Punk held a world title when there was two for a year and his most memorable moment of his championship reign was actually his previous reign in which he ran away with the belt. Jericho won 1 world title and thought fuck it I want a second, and so he did. Vote Jericho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back