Goldberg's Comeback

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
After watching the WWE 24 on Goldberg, I was wondering if anyone actually enjoyed his return run.

Goldberg beating Lesnar in a squash at Survivor Series was one of the more memorable shockers we've seen in years. The old Goldberg was back, and he hadn't lost a step. But after he beat Owens at Fastlane, Goldberg was targeted for the "Boo-tista" treatment, because we had another part-timer stealing the spotlight to win a world title, guaranteeing more time in the main event picture. While I'm sure a lot of fans believed the nostalgia buzz was gone after Survivor Series, I also believe too many fans are too fickle and they have a monkey see, monkey do attitude for booing, heckling, and chants.

His run ended on a good note with his Wrestlemania match VS Lesnar, and I enjoyed it more after watching it for a second time. But I also believe the match was surprise for a lot of people, because it was almost impossible to not expect the worst after Wrestlemania XX, and knowing Goldberg, pushing 50 at the time, is not cut out for long matches without completely running out of gas.

His return had its up and downs. Some good, passionate promos and two entertaining matches, but it's almost impossible to forget about the blunders, the mishaps (i.e. Goldberg almost knocking himself out after banging his head against the door), and anyone with a half a brain knowing Lesnar winning the title from Goldberg at Mania was a sure thing.

So with all that said, did you enjoy Goldberg's comeback?

I have mixed feelings about Goldberg's comeback. When he first came back, it was awesome. The match against Lesnar at Survivor Series last year was a surprise and downright shocking in how it ended. By Fastlane Goldberg had overstayed his welcome. He and Lesnar having the Universal Championship added to their feud was a horrible idea. Owens and Jericho should have wrestled for that title instead. The feud between two part-timers did not NEED the title, not when there was more than enough history between the two. So, the first half of his comeback, I enjoyed. The last part of it, not so much. He got to avenge the awful match from Wrestlemania 20 at least.

Personally, I truly enjoyed his comeback mostly because of the story behind it. I didn't bother about the matches because I knew he could go like use to but the story of doing it for his kid and seeing if he could still be Goldberg was a interesting one and it showed that even at his age, he was better then 90% of the current roster.

Also he cut some of his best promos of his career and that was probably because they came from what he was feeling at the time and not from a script.

The best part of his comeback for me was his universal title run and the last chapter of his comeback because not only did it give title as well needed boost as been regarded as a world title, which sadly it wasn't during Kevin Owens run, but it give one of the top match on the card and probably the one match that casual fans where tuning in to watch mania a extra something and more stakes to the match and That's a good.

In the end, his comeback was how these type of comeback should be book. They use his star power to their advantage because they had a problem with the way the universal championship was being looked at and they use Goldberg to elevate the title. The comeback itself was truly enjoyable for me and I wish that they go all in and bookend it with a Hall of fame Induction next year.

I enjoyed it as I got to see him live and get some pictures of him. He was in great shape for his age and his promo work was ok, but he did good for being off of tv for so long. I wish he stuck around longer to be honest to see him in the rumble match or something else before he just went away. I enjoyed his matches he had and enjoyed his time when he was on my screen. It was a good comeback, just really short lived.

I for one totally enjoyed Goldberg's comeback.

IMO it was easily the most entertaining thing going in the WWE during the last year and some months and WWE hasn't produced anything near the level of excitement I got from, for example, seeing Goldberg, Lesnar, and 'Taker all in the ring at the same time before the Rumble. I felt excited about wrestling again while Goldberg was coming out and as far as I'm concerned he was at the top of his game. Maybe even better than ever. Especially his promo work. He was great.

I couldn't get invested in Goldberg, I think it may of been his rival being Brock, because it kept stirring up memories of their original WM match and how much of a middle finger it was (I quit watching wrestling for years because of how much that ruined a 60$ card)

Just in general, I can't get into Part Timers winning World Titles, and Goldberg vs Brock is pretty much the epitome of whats made me quit watching RAW.

Survivor Series worked because of the surprise factor
The Rumble worked because it's the bloody Rumble and we got Undertaker thrown into the mix
Owens is where things start to go wrong. Goldberg didn't need the title and burying Owens was just so damn stupid. That's the moment the crowd turned and what followed was 7 weeks of negativity because as usual, the WWE doesn't know how to book feuds.
The Wrestlemania match was just about as good as it could be. A 7-minute smash up that didn't need the title.

On the whole, it mostly worked out but it wasn't the success it should have been.

I enjoyed Goldberg's return but let's not kid ourselves that he could "still go like he used to." The ring rust was pretty clear from what I recall. The guy looked pretty winded after some fairy routine spots. That being said, the storyline was good and I'm glad that he got another run with the title and I'm glad that Lesnar/Goldberg at Mania was for the title. I don't care how much they do or don't work - they're more convincing than anyone else on the roster. When the guys out there working every day get up to the level of Lesnar or Goldberg, then they can be part-timers competing for the title, as well.

Goldberg was nice for the "Wow!" factor in the beginning. It got stale and idiotic very quickly. By the time WM came around, you could have Western Unioned the outcome. However, there was something bigger: The Universal strap. THAT strap needed credibility. Finn Balor had it for 20 hours.Then, you had Kevin Owens. Problem was that people saw the Universal strap for the run of the mill prop it was. It was NOT the WWE Championship. It was a title created by Stephanie that meant nothing to nobody.

Enter Goldberg.

Goldberg winning the Universal title was all about the Universal Title getting rather than the actual wrestler winning it. The Universal title needed prestige. It needed credibility. The Universal title needed Goldberg more than Goldberg needed the belt. That is why they did not hold out for Roman Reigns last year. He would have brought nothing to the strap. Goldberg brought prestige, history AND credibility. Though Lesnar brings almost nothing to the table for the Universal strap, Goldberg made the belt seem a lot more prestigious than if Kevin Owens hung on to it.

I utterly despised Goldberg's comeback for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Goldberg couldn't wrestle and when you get right down to it, he never really could. Eric Bischoff knew how limited Goldberg was and was able to brilliantly hide his limitations by keeping the vast majority of his matches under 2 or 3 minutes with most of his opponents being outright jobbers or low card members of the roster. The long term effect of that turned out that Goldberg's streak was vastly overrated and hyped into being something it wasn't and that Goldberg himself was some phenomenal talent.

Goldberg's return further highlighted some massively fundamental flaws in Vince McMahon's decision making: he was, to some degree, sacrificing WWE's long term stability over the nostalgic spectacle of older wrestlers going at it who aren't a fraction of what they once were. Goldberg was one of the biggest examples of Vince using modern guys, guys who should be the focus of his company as they're the ones who actually carry it, as fodder for 2000s and Attitude Era stars. We'd already seen it for years: Stone Cold popping up every so often for a promo segment, he gets into something with a modern guy, winds up hitting the Stone Cold Stunner and poses around the ring while pouring beer all over himself or the Rock making trained monkeys out of Daniel Bryan, Rusev, the Wyatt Family, etc. all for the sake of nostalgia rather than using these mega names to actually help build up these younger wrestlers. And now, there are reports that Batista might be coming back for another run and if he does, I'd be willing to bet that he has it written into the contract that he's truly there to be a 100% TOP level guy; no putting over young guys this time around. WrestleMania looks to have become the haven for the part timer looking to be in the spotlight and collect a massive paycheck. Based on how the lay of the land in WWE looks as of right now, we can expect matches featuring Triple H, John Cena, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, POSSIBLY the Undertaker and POSSIBLY Batista; at least half the fucking card will be made up of part timers who'll be the focus of the show while Vince McMahon is inexplicably in the dark about how WWE just isn't really cool anymore.

If you're an older fan in your 30s, 40s or even 50s and you hear a fan in their 10s and 20s say how many top guys today don't stack up to the top guys of 20 years go, how they've been sacrificed to the part timers and nostalgia acts is one of the top reasons why.

So with all that said, did you enjoy Goldberg's comeback?
Yes I did. It just felt big no matter what he has done. I mean, just look at that entrance

[youtube]vtxb_knhkEA[/youtube]

He just showed up for the match and he is more over then 95% of roster. Call it nostalgia, call it whatever you want, but that is something that you can build on and WWE was smart to invest into that. I mean, sure, Survivor Series+ Fastlane are less then 2 minutes together but he gave us kinda enjoyable Wrestlemania match. And now if he comes back he could, for example be credible to lose to Braun, Reigns or anybody else and it would feel bigger.

lol to all you who claim Goldberg devalued anything let me remind you that ol Bill actually was given the belt to give it a much needed shot in the arm, a shot of prestige because thats something the current generation sorely lacks. Its no coincidence that they guys back in the 80s/ late 90s could draw and get crazy fans based on their character; each and every one of them were important to SOMEbody and you dont see that in wrestling today; wether its management interference or these guys just aren't as charismatic is a argument for another time but end result is that these guys cant draw in the crowds and more importantly they cant draw the interest in the product so Vince is more than justified in bringing in the old timers to spike ratings and TRY to get a good rub for the new guys. The Universal belt NEEDED Bill

Yes cause it was a reminder of what it was like to have a true megastar on the roster again. Goldberg didn't feel like anyone else on the roster and that includes John Cena cause Goldberg actually had star written all over him. He carried himself, walked, talked, acted and competed like a star. He felt real and like a hero unlike the rest of the roster. He was the most exciting thing WWE had in ages. He was more over than anybody on the roster and that's saying plenty.

2017 Goldberg felt more like WCW Goldberg than 2003 Goldberg did.

As for Kevin Owens' reign, it wasn't anything special, so I didn't care that he lost it to a bigger star who likely added more credibility and prestige to the belt than Owens ever did. Goldberg-Brock turned out better than Owens-Jericho at WM, so the Universal Title was on the line in the right match.

Wish they had did more with Goldberg/Taker. Wanted to see Goldberg vs. Taker at Wrestlemania.

I wouldn't mind if Goldberg had another run with WWE.

lol to all you who claim Goldberg devalued anything let me remind you that ol Bill actually was given the belt to give it a much needed shot in the arm, a shot of prestige because thats something the current generation sorely lacks. Its no coincidence that they guys back in the 80s/ late 90s could draw and get crazy fans based on their character; each and every one of them were important to SOMEbody and you dont see that in wrestling today; wether its management interference or these guys just aren't as charismatic is a argument for another time but end result is that these guys cant draw in the crowds and more importantly they cant draw the interest in the product so Vince is more than justified in bringing in the old timers to spike ratings and TRY to get a good rub for the new guys. The Universal belt NEEDED Bill

I agree they wouldn't need the part timers if the current group could draw, Also Goldberg to me looks like a wrestling champion, Kevin Owens looks like a guy who works as a mechanic in my local garage, Same with guys like Finn Balor I feel like I could have a chance at beating those guys in a legitimate match for the world title but someone like Goldberg or even Brock I feel like I wouldn't last 5 seconds with.
I enjoyed his comeback and would have prefered to see him a little longer but I knew from the begining that it wasn't a long term return.

I utterly despised Goldberg's comeback for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Goldberg couldn't wrestle and when you get right down to it, he never really could. Eric Bischoff knew how limited Goldberg was and was able to brilliantly hide his limitations by keeping the vast majority of his matches under 2 or 3 minutes with most of his opponents being outright jobbers or low card members of the roster. The long term effect of that turned out that Goldberg's streak was vastly overrated and hyped into being something it wasn't and that Goldberg himself was some phenomenal talent.

Goldberg's return further highlighted some massively fundamental flaws in Vince McMahon's decision making: he was, to some degree, sacrificing WWE's long term stability over the nostalgic spectacle of older wrestlers going at it who aren't a fraction of what they once were. Goldberg was one of the biggest examples of Vince using modern guys, guys who should be the focus of his company as they're the ones who actually carry it, as fodder for 2000s and Attitude Era stars. We'd already seen it for years: Stone Cold popping up every so often for a promo segment, he gets into something with a modern guy, winds up hitting the Stone Cold Stunner and poses around the ring while pouring beer all over himself or the Rock making trained monkeys out of Daniel Bryan, Rusev, the Wyatt Family, etc. all for the sake of nostalgia rather than using these mega names to actually help build up these younger wrestlers. And now, there are reports that Batista might be coming back for another run and if he does, I'd be willing to bet that he has it written into the contract that he's truly there to be a 100% TOP level guy; no putting over young guys this time around. WrestleMania looks to have become the haven for the part timer looking to be in the spotlight and collect a massive paycheck. Based on how the lay of the land in WWE looks as of right now, we can expect matches featuring Triple H, John Cena, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, POSSIBLY the Undertaker and POSSIBLY Batista; at least half the fucking card will be made up of part timers who'll be the focus of the show while Vince McMahon is inexplicably in the dark about how WWE just isn't really cool anymore.

If you're an older fan in your 30s, 40s or even 50s and you hear a fan in their 10s and 20s say how many top guys today don't stack up to the top guys of 20 years go, how they've been sacrificed to the part timers and nostalgia acts is one of the top reasons why.

As much as I enjoyed the nostalgia pop that the Goldberg return had, I have to agree with most of what you are saying.

It's been a reoccurring theme in WWE over the last 10 or so years. Vince still leaning to heavily on the massive stars of the AE and early 2000's but, I believe, at the expense of building current stars today.

However, I believe, if done right there can be a happy medium.

For example, John Cena vs The Rock (the first time), and if it wasn't billed "Once in a Lifetime" I would have accepted the 2nd match a little more easily. But the first match was a good idea. The Rock was hot, big blockbuster movie star and John Cena was the main guy in WWE. The match pretty much sold itself. And what was the best part? It WAS NOT for the WWE Title. Because it didn't need to be.

Same way I think Goldberg's return could have been better, actually, if it was NOT for the WWE Title against Brock Lesnar. Sure, it probably would have got top billing on the card over whatever WWE title match went on like the Cena vs Rock situation but at least the WWE title match would be contended by current WWE stars not age-old ones.

Even the Sting return was pretty cool, of course I don't agree at all with the booking of his WrestleMania match. He should have matched up vs The Undertaker and then if he lost that match to 'Taker it would have been still a great WrestleMania moment and acceptable. But Sting losing to Triple H over some garbage with DX coming down and NWO helping Sting which they notoriously didn't do in WCW was just misguided. But let's say in the Sting return; he returned, built a non-title storyline towards a match at WM against Taker or Triple H and then either lost to Taker or beat Triple H and then rode off into the sunset ... that would have been perfect!

Because the truth of the matter is even if these former massive stars come back to WWE and do draw a bit more viewers and PPV buys, it still never lasts long and goes away once they go away or, even, if they stay too long and have worn out their welcome. It shows you that nostalgia acts are OK, but in moderation and they should not be at the expense of current stars.

Now, the whole build up to Raw 1000 with Heath Slater (jobber-extraordinaire) making various former Raw stars look great was actually really fun. That, I believe, was done perfectly. It gave the fans a great nostalgia pop, and hey, Slater even got to win one match (against Doink!) and it was NOT at the expense of a current WWE star who had all sorts of main event potential (sorry Heath, but he does great at what he does).

WWE has had a wishy-washy track record of bringing back legends, sometimes done really well, sometimes not.

WWE brought back New Age Outlaws a few years ago, I believe a main feud was against The Shield, it was actually pretty cool and you could tell it was done to boost the CURRENT WWE stars.

However, not long ago The Dudley Boyz came back and while their pop was huge and the initial buzz once they returned was good, the rest of their time wasn't all that memorable, at that's a problem if you bring back stars. I think they feuded with Enzo & Cass and I think Enzo & Cass won but the details are not clear, and they SHOULD be, it should have been a VERY memorable moment if Cass & Enzo won. Then after that D-boys did not much else until there was nothing left for them to do.

Now we have Hardy Boyz back and yes, their WM return was at the expense of current stars but we now know it wasn't just a one-off thing like that joke of a segment with Rock vs Wyatt Family. Hardys were back full-time and ready to go. They had some good matches and LOST the Tag Titles to help build up current stars and now Matt Hardy gets to try out the Broken Hardy gimmick which, at the very least, should be MEMORABLE, and that should be the point. Why do anything if it won't be memorable?

So to sum it up:

- I thought the Goldberg return was pretty cool, the first match back was a cool surprise and the RR. But, wasn't a fan of Goldberg vs Brock being for the title. The match did redeem their previous poor WM match.

- There should be a happy medium in WWE between nostalgia acts, moments and returns and still pushing current talent to be stars

- WWE has had some success finding the balance, but I believe have also, at times, over done it and it has cost their current stars and the company more current long-term success

- So the result? Don't STOP having past stars come back but try not to do it at the expense of current talent that could or should be built to be main event stars.

John Cena said it best during his promo with Reigns and it really stands true to what Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Sting or any of the older mega stars could have said in a promo. “I’m here because you can’t Do your damn job.” Say what you want about the older stars but they put butts in seats. A J Styles also said it best during a stone cold podcast when he said they give you an opportunity to be something, but it’s my job and my job only to get over with the fans. Goldberg’s comeback was an absolute success.

Loved every minute of it. Goldberg looked to be in better shape than most on the active roster. His match against Lesnar at Survivor Series was proof that, despite how much we criticize the WWE, they can still pull a fast one on us. Pun intended. I can understand the argument of adding the Universal Championship into the mix with himself and Lesnar, as not needed, but it was only done for the long haul. Moving forward, the Universal Championship is going to be the premier championship, so having the history of Goldberg vs Lesnar at Wrestlemania for it, only helps it out. Kevin Owens still has many more years to wrestle for that title at WrestleMania. Also, him versus Jericho for that title wouldn't have been as stellar as people are trying to make it out to be, although I'm totally understanding of the opinion. Goldberg coming back and completely owning it, was only 2nd to the Hulk Hogan revival in the early 2000s, for me. It was that good and Goldberg was surprisingly in peak condition. Also, it was cool how it was so personal to him as a human being. To see him finally share his glory with his son and his wife, was really awesome. Good for Goldberg on that one.

I was about to post a thread about whether or not Goldberg beating Lesnar was a good desicion, now that we're 1 year away from that, but I guess this thread is a nice fit to leave my opinion.

I also had mixed feeling about this, mainly because of the fact that Goldberg came back and squashed Lesnar in a minute. This of course led to an awesome done-right match between them at Wrestlemania. I still believe that Lesnar should have done more damage to Goldberg at Mania though, like make him tap out and win the match via KO, instead of just pinning him. THAT, would have done justice to Brock's squash loss.

There are things that I would have booked differently in this entire angle. Mainly book Goldberg to win the championship at the Rumble and Lesnar to win the Rumble, because the way Lesnar challenged Goldberg at Wrestlemania was just stupid. Then have Goldberg get a successful title defense at Fast Lane. Anyway.

Goldberg seemed to have a lot of fun this time around. This comeback saved his legacy and left us with a good taste in our mouths, so I guess mission accomplished. Goldberg seems like a genuine nice human being and someone who loves his family and the fans, so he really deserved a better exit than the one he got in 2004. And hey, the fans loved him this time around. Nobody expected Goldberg to get that over and become the hottest thing in 2016-17, so I guess, mission accomplished.

I wouldn't mind Goldberg coming back for one last match, in order to put over a young talent like Strowman.

So, summing up, yeah I think I liked it. His return definately lived up to the hype and exceeded expectations.

PS: The fact that all of this was Lesnar's idea is astonishing. The man smells cash from miles away.

The issue isn't so much recycling the Attitude Era or relying on past names... it's been using those names in a different context to how they got over.

Goldberg worked better than other comebacks/nostalgia acts because he wasn't a character rooted in the Attitude Era and TV-14... he was WCW at their most kid friendly and WWE when it was well on the way back to PG. When DX/Outlaws for example have returned, it's always watered down.

It was never going to be good the moment Road Dog said "You'd better call..." not "your ass better call..." the fans who loved that rebellious streak were let down, and that mean the newer fans didn't "get" why they were good.

Having Goldberg beat Brock as he did made sense, he was pretty much the only guy who could ever do that, short of Warrior ever having that last match but it would scream "fake"... Goldberg was in good enough shape that it looked like he could beat Brock like that.

It's an interesting way to look at using talents who return, Jarrett being the next who could come back. I'd have no problem with it if he was in a short feud with Elias, but only if they're breaking guitars over each other's heads and he's using the "Don't Piss Me Off..." gimmick... anything else will purely suck.

As for Goldberg, let him retire... his kid got to see him win the title and beat Brock... it really isn't going to get better than that other than the HOF ceremony. There's nothing in it for Goldberg to "put Braun" or anyone else over and he was always the guy whom "it was never about money" for, or he'd have been back years ago.

I would enjoy him turning up out of nowhere and speaking Lesnar, gifting Reigns the title. If Miz can beat Reigns with a roll up, how can we believe he can pin Lesnar without interference. Goldberg is being inducted that weekend to the HOF, be a nice little nod to last year

I've honestly never been a big fan of Goldberg.

Goldberg's return worked as a means of rewriting his disastrously bad encounter with Brock at WM20. He got to stomp his way to the world championship scene and steam roll someone as over as Lesnar, thus he was subsequently willing to give Brock and the fans what should have been the WM20 encounter.

He came, he did his thing, he sold some tickets, and he promptly left. That for me is exactly what I would have wanted from him.

Personally I enjoyed Goldberg's return, His first win over Brock then his second over Kevin Owens were both unexpected, I agree because of his age and length of time away from the ring I also didn't expect much at Wrestlemania against Brock but they both actually had a good match, Would prefered to have seen his return go one or two more matches Goldberg vs Braun Strowman would be my pick and a win over Goldberg would have been a could start to Strowman's career.

Coming back at age 50 meant he was the oldest WWE world champion ever as a proper wrestler..... (not counting Vinces ego-maniac trip where he gave himself the title in 1999).

Quite shocking when you think about how WCW was heavily criticised for putting their world title on 40 somethings. In a sense WWE had become similar- whenever the old boys (Rock, Batista, Goldberg) make a brief return then get a major push!

That said it was interesting to see the unstoppable Brock suffer a loss- shocking in fact it happened to quickly against Goldberg!

Nostalga acts stirs up a very quick buzz... but wears off quickly too.
At least a 50 year olf Goldberg didn't over stay his welcome too much.

Personally I enjoyed Goldberg's return, His first win over Brock then his second over Kevin Owens were both unexpected, I agree because of his age and length of time away from the ring I also didn't expect much at Wrestlemania against Brock but they both actually had a good match, Would prefered to have seen his return go one or two more matches Goldberg vs Braun Strowman would be my pick and a win over Goldberg would have been a could start to Strowman's career.

His win over Kevin Owens was the most predictable shittyest piece of booking in 2017. The second he beat Lesnar, the rematch was happening, and the title would be in play

His win over Kevin Owens was the most predictable shittyest piece of booking in 2017.

Funny how its always all so predictable afterwards, Show evidence of where you predicted this like on this forum or any forum where it shows dates of posts? and I'll appologise otherwise your full of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back