Hall Of Fame - James A. Johnston?

Dragonslayer

Getting Noticed By Management
Just the other day I looked through my CD collection, and among the countless other CDs I saw, I also came across the WWE Anthology Album. And it got me thinking...

WWE is inducting quite a number of people who, despite having definitely left a mark on the business, such as announcers and commentary guys, still play basically only a "supporting role" in the grand scheme of things. So how about another of those side characters, but one who I consider tremendously important, especially for WWE:

James A. Johnston

Now while a lot of today's superstars began using "real" bands' songs, back in the day, aside from a few notable exceptions (such as HBK's "Sexy Boy" by Jimmy Hart, or Hulk Hogan's "Real American" by Rick Derringer), about 90% of the WWE's stars' entrance themes were composed by Jim Johnston, including such memorable themes as Bret Hart's classic themes, The Rock's themes, or of course - and where would WWE without that - the shattering glass of Stone Cold Steve Austin's theme.

I think the entrance music is and has always been a very crucial part of a wrestlers gimmick, and also an integral part of the pacing of a show - whenever a guy's theme hits the PA, you immediately have to know who's coming, and the reactions the first couple of notes of a song can provoke in a crowd has been seen time and again live and on TV; and Jim Johnston's themes in almost every case managed to capture and support the character they were associated with in a tremendous manner; and I guess it is safe to say that among wrestling fans, some of those songs, even if many of them are only rather simply structured instrumentals, have actually become some sort of "pop songs" themselves.

So my question is: Do you believe Jim Johnston, as WWE's poet laureate so to speak, deserves a spot in the Hall Of Fame?

(Maybe this has been done before or it belongs in the WWE section; if so, please move it. Thanks)

Yes, I do believe James A. Johnston belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame because he is possibly the hardest behind-the-scenes worker in WWE. Each year he puts out entrances for new superstars, changes entrances for current superstars, and puts out the themes in a CD format. Yet, none of the themes sound alike while fitting each superstars gimmick. I myself have plenty of Johnston's work in my cell phone including the Rock's themes. In my opinion, Jams A. Johnston should be in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Absolutely he should be! I think entrance music sets the audience up and is used as a tool for working a live crowd's emotions. How many times would the camera pan for a full shot of the capacity crowd only to be followed by the sound of shattering glass to see the audience simultaneously jump to their feet in anticipation?

Johnston DEFINITELY deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. This guy's created phenomenal themes for the wrestlers and his fair share of generic production music as well. If you make a comparison between he and....whoever the hell does TNA's music....its like setting up Mike Tyson in his prime to box a 3 year old girl. No chance whatsoever for TNA's guy to win it. Johnston just blows him out of the water.

Sure, he might not be on screen and most casual fans might not even know his name, but the guy's like Don Pardo for SNL - he fits so well in his role and does it so perfectly that there's no reason not to rain praise.

I doubt he will be since he isn't an on-screen character, but I'm sure he's a well respected figure backstage.

If it were a true Hall of Fame, then yes, he does absolutely belong in there. I mean, if they can induct Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame, then Johnston definitely belongs in there.

However, this then opens the door for so many others that belong in there because of their backstage actions. People like John Laurinitis (SP), some of the story writers, and those type of people. These people all play integral roles in the production of the WWE product. Now, I'm not going to go all the way down to say the guy who screws the ring ropes onto the ring, but there are several deserving people in my opinion.

The thing about even todays superstars themes' is that he still is the one writing them, but has bands record them. He did all the music on Randy Ortons' 'Voices' and had the singer from Rev Theory do vocals, however the band does know how to play it, and if they do play it live like they were supposed to, then they'll be able to rock it.

James A. Johnston deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame hands down, but who knows if we'll see it.

I would like to see him be inducted. He certainly deserves it.

If WWE ever actually builds a HOF building, what they could do is have like a "non-performers" category for their inductions. This could include people that work behind the scenes, like production people, stage crew people, writers, agents, bookers, and other people that work behind the scenes for the company but have played big roles in the WWE. Kevin Dunn is one person on the top of my head that would fit into this category. James A. Johnston would be another. Referees could perhaps be included, although technically, they are a part of the show (like the announcers and commentators), so maybe not.

I think if they ever made a category like that, then James A Johnston would definitely deserve induction. (I think their HOF would look more legitimate if they had defined "categories" for their HOF classes. Like the real Professional Wrestling HOF, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back