Hit or Miss: Your Worst Icebreaker

LSN80

King Of The Ring
One of the things Id like to start doing here in Potluck is this "Hit or Miss" series, which focuses on both sides of a subject manner. In the same vein of which i did the Best and Worst First Date in seperate threads, Id like to tackle other subject manner in a similar fashion, and if anything good or bad came from it. It doesn't have to be a major life-changing event in any way, as it can simply be something you and your friends laugh about to this day. At its best, if you identify yourself as being bad at something, it gives you a time to look back to where you were able to do something successfully.

Icebreakers can be a group activity through a workplace that either helps bring new people into that environment, or less formally, the way you introduce yourself to others. Icebreakers can be as simple as finding something you have in common with someone else that gets you off on the right foot, or the way you tend to integrate yourself with people you've never met before.

Some people are very good when it comes to breaking the ice. They have a way of introducing themselves, or how they try and come across to others when first meeting them that makes them stick out. Personally, Ive always found myself to be terrible when it comes to breaking the ice witrh people upon first meeting them. Generally, I wind up sticking my foot in my mouth at least once, sometimes doing damage along the way that takes some kind to come back from. The best example of this came when I first graduated college.

I had taken a waitering job that was flexible in terms of hours due to being in graduate school. When I break the ice with someone, I try to observe something about them first and bring it up later. But have you ever experienced a time when your observations of others turned out to be flat-out wrong? This was the case with me.

When i started at the restaurant, I got off on the right foot with mot of the people there. There was one girl, however, that I got off to a terrible start with. I made sure, even if casually, to introduce myself to everyone, using the observations I made about them. It just so turns out that my observations around her were completely wrong. She appeared to be baout 6-7 months pregnant and I thought her stomach had dropped. Not seeing a ring on her finger, I began to ask her about the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy. Was she with the father? Did she know the sex of the baby yet? How far along was she? She'ld answer, glaring at me as she did. I couldn't understand why, and just kept asking further question after another along the same vein.

Well, as it turned out, she was pretty angry following the first question I had asked her. Why? She had thr body of someone who wasn't fat, she simply had a belly that stuck out, as in she wasn't pregnant whatsoever. :blush:But the other girls in the restaurant convinced her to play along, as they enjoyed seeing me embarrass myself, and her, day after day. After a few weeks, a girl I had become close with and eventually dated for 2 years came to me giggling that the "pregnant" girl wasn't actually pregnant, and was pretty offended at that. It took a few months before she was even willing to talk to me following that, and I didnt live it down the entire time I worked there. Suffice to say, it was the worst icebreaker of my life, and I decided after that to break the ice based on more inoccuous observations from there on out.

Are you, on the whole, generally successful or poor when it comes to breaking the ice when first meeting other people?
What's been your worst experience when it comes to breaking the ice with other people?

When it comes to Icebreaking, I'm poor at it. I just don't know where to start off, so I just sit or stand awkwardly, searching for something to be 'occupied with.' But the thing is that I don't find anything meaningful or appropriate to say at the moment so I haven't actually had a perfectly terrible experience. If telling yourself "You can do it Yasashmi, it's just one sentence - it wouldn't kill" and suffering in the awkward silence counts as a worst experience, then that's gotta be it. Happens all the time, and I hope I'd get over it soon. I'm lucky because most of the time, someone I know is around whenever I face a fresh face, so the conversation just starts off slowly, adding a few comments here and there.

The worst experiences for me when it comes to ice breakers are when you are at a meeting or some type of orientation and they make you play stupid activity games with your peers in order to build teamwork. It's not so much that I dislike teamwork building, quite the contrary in fact. I am somewhat quiet by nature though in person and if I am forced to interact or play a game with people I have never met before, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. If we have small talk first then it's easier to cope with annoying activities since I would have gotten to know the others a little first. Activities or games are arguably the worst way to get me to open up. It goes against my personality type.

Hit or Miss definitely sums up my icebreaking style, and I had a hell of a miss recently.

I had been out on trial for a job during the day then got a text when I got back home from my friend saying his brother was having folk round for a flat-leaving party. I know his brother and a couple other guys that were there so thought, what the hell, I've earned a good night. So I got round when everyone else had been boozing for a couple hours or so, with everyone at different stages of drunkness, and did my best to get a decent buzz going.

My mate's brother then asked where I'd put my drink, so pointed to the can in my hand, and he said no, where's THE drink. I looked at him confused then he took me through to his kitchen while he prepared THE drink. I know rum was in it, but that's all I could tell you. Anyways, while I was chatting to my mate and waiting for THE drink to be made, I noticed a girl across the room who reminded me of Eli from Let The Right One In (but older) and mentioned this to my mate who kinda agreed.

Later on, the group decided to go to the bar across the street to buy jugs of cocktails and see how quickly, via straws, we could down them. While we were hanging about, I heard my mate say "Let the right one in?" and thought, that's weird. Turned round and the lass from the kitchen was kinda eyeing me weirdly as my mate was drunkenly grinning and pointing my way. Judging by her facial expression, I could tell this wasn't the best thing she'd heard, so kept trying to fashion it into more of a compliment than, "You look like a vampire," which seemed to be how she was taking it. Didn't work. I blame the booze on everyone's behalf in this shambles though!

Bumped into her a few more times throughout the night and I can say that the ice was definitely not broken. Lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back