How do you help a friend........

CCS

Getting Noticed By Management
.......That constantly wants to get drunk so that she'll be "numb"?

serious question, I dont have any idea what to say when she calls me in the middle of the night saying she's drunk and wants to talk to me.

I think you need to address to her first and foremost that she has a problem.

I've never understood how people believe drinking is the resolution to depression, or fixing problems. It may very well numb you, but only because you're too drunk to think properly. Once that wears off, you're always right back to where you were.

Address to her that you care enough about her, to want to make sure she doesn't screw her life up. Which too much constant drinking will definately do. Also make sure to address that if she's constantly getting drunk, and isn't in control of her surroundings, someone could easily and harmfully take advantage of that.

She knows I care ablout her, and told her getting drunk isnt good for her. But she always says she doesnt have anything else to do to take her mind off her problems.

.......That constantly wants to get drunk so that she'll be "numb"?

serious question, I dont have any idea what to say when she calls me in the middle of the night saying she's drunk and wants to talk to me.
Offer her pills, so she'll quit drinking.

Nah, I would never seriously suggest such a thing.

That would be funny.......but she said that if she could get a hold of drugs she would probably use them.

She knows I care ablout her, and told her getting drunk isnt good for her. But she always says she doesnt have anything else to do to take her mind off her problems.

It sounds like your friend doesn't truly want to find a way out of her slump. Most people who reply to their problems as having no alternative are people who merely don't wish to look or try to take an alternative.

Drinking is as easy as buying and consuming.

Fixing the problem takes actual work. Until your friend wants to fix herself, I don't know if anyone can help fix her problems.

The best solution to that would be.. call some type of institution, or program that might be able to step in. It sounds harsh and cruel, but if your friend is dangerously close to hurting herself (as you make it sound) then sometimes this is the best way to resolve an issue. And save your friend's life.

What is she trying to 'numb' exactly? You need to find that out, before we can help you, or you can help her. There's obviously something upsetting her, and she needs to find a betetr way to deal with it than getting drunk.

I want to help her but like you said, I really dont thinks she wants to get help. She's only 15 so I'll hope that she'll eventually see that drinking isnt the answer to her problems.

What is she trying to 'numb' exactly? You need to find that out, before we can help you, or you can help her. There's obviously something upsetting her, and she needs to find a betetr way to deal with it than getting drunk.

Her brother died in a car crash.
She's anemic.
Her parents fight all the time.

She's anemic.

If she goes to school with you, tell your school's administration. Obviously, her parents aren't helping her, and what she needs more than anything right now is the guidance of a professional. It's admirable that you're so nice to her, but that isn't going to solve anything in the long run.

I want to help her but like you said, I really dont thinks she wants to get help. She's only 15 so I'll hope that she'll eventually see that drinking isnt the answer to her problems.

First, slap the shit outta her.

After you've done that, explain to her that she's not even lived a fraction of her expected life.. and she's already risking majorly fucking it up.

Sometimes tough love is the best love, and if she's 15 then she's in that stage where she believes the whole world revolves around smaller things than it does.

It's an unfortunate (Sly, there's that word) accident, but nothing she could've prevented. And even if she could've, things like this just happen.

Explain to her to think of what her Brother would think of her, willingly throwing her life away. If she loves him, she would respect him by continuing to live.. not wasting her life, because an unfortunate accident took his.

She's anemic.

So buy her a box of crayons, a balloon, and take her to a theme park. Snap her out of it. THAT is what you, as a friend can do.

Again, more than likely not her fault. Parent's fight and argue, it strengthens relationships. Unless they're physically abusing each other, I would just blow it off.

Her Parent's fighting is an issue that is NOT her own.

First, slap the shit outta her.

After you've done that, explain to her that she's not even lived a fraction of her expected life.. and she's already risking majorly fucking it up.

Sometimes tough love is the best love, and if she's 15 then she's in that stage where she believes the whole world revolves around smaller things than it does.

It's an unfortunate (Sly, there's that word) accident, but nothing she could've prevented. And even if she could've, things like this just happen.

Explain to her to think of what her Brother would think of her, willingly throwing her life away. If she loves him, she would respect him by continuing to live.. not wasting her life, because an unfortunate accident took his.

So buy her a box of crayons, a balloon, and take her to a theme park. Snap her out of it. THAT is what you, as a friend can do.

Again, more than likely not her fault. Parent's fight and argue, it strengthens relationships. Unless they're physically abusing each other, I would just blow it off.

Her Parent's fighting is an issue that is NOT her own.

Parent's fighting can be horrible, and is almost impossible to ignore. And the brother, god I don't know how anyone could try to talk her out of that kind of grief.

She might be young, but the kind of problems she has, it'll take a lot to fix them, let alone her drinking. I think it's more than you can handle CCS, getting someone else involved would be best.

Flames Out
Dragon

Comfort her. Go to her house or have her come over to your house and just try to talk to her. She most likely needs someone to confide in. Try to be that person. If that doesn't work just keep trying. Some people you really can't help, but if she doesn't want to talk then let her know your always there for her. Or talk to your parents about it and they can have something done. That is the most responsible thing to do.

I'd go for get her to see a Dr. Wanting to be numb implies pain. Pain implies depression, depression with the need to cover the problem = serious enough to go to the Dr. Failing that, take her out and talk to her.

BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She said she wants to change and she thanked me for actually caring about her. She said she's actually trying to stop but it's really hard. She's a good girl so I have no doubt in my mind that she'll be able to stop now that she has friends behind her.

BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She said she wants to change and she thanked me for actually caring about her. She said she's actually trying to stop but it's really hard. She's a good girl so I have no doubt in my mind that she'll be able to stop now that she has friends behind her.

Sorry CCS, but more than likely, if you confronted her, seeing as she seems depressed, she probably told you what she thought you would want to hear, and will continue on with it, but she may not tell you now.

That's good to hear. And if she gets sad and you're there with her, best thing you can do is just hug her. Just having someone's arms around you can be a powerful thing.

Reactions: CCS
Naw, Her boyfriend got after too. She actually seems like she wants to change. She's supposed to look into some after school clubs to keep her busy so she wont have time to get drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back