How do you want your College Football Playoff to look?

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Over the past week or so I've read a few articles discussing the NCAA Division 1 football playoff proposal. There's only two sides to this argument, and both sides have their side to benefit their conference. Here are the proposed playoffs, with the conferences supporting it in parenthesis:

-Top 4 teams get in (SEC, Big 12)
-Top 3 Conference Champions + 1 Wild Card (Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East)

Both sides have legitimate points, but both also have some flaws involved. On the SEC/Big 12 view, there's two issues:

1. Relying too much on rankings/outsiders views to determine the participants. While it's well known that the SEC is the top conference, they also have teams that feed on that reputation in their conference and don't beef up their OOC schedule. Alabama faced 2 whole teams that ended the season with a top 25 ranking - LSU and Arkansas. They did have Penn State on their schedule and it was scheduled years ago, but nevertheless their OOC was rather flat. Likewise with Arkansas. Many of these teams can build top 10 rankings by beating up FCS/low Non-AQ teams and having a nice 11-1, 10-2 type record. Often these pollsters can't see all of the games, but they can see that their only loss was to Alabama and will reward them, deserving or not.
2. This could possibly result in teams that have won their conference but lose an OOC be punished for making a tougher schedule. Case in point, let's take a look at last seasons hypothetical playoff under this system:

1. LSU (SEC Champ)
2. Alabama (at large)
3. Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champ)
4. Stanford (at large)

But wait, who's #5 on this list but Oregon, the Pac 12 Champ that also took Stanford to the woodshed. But, since they have 2 losses (both to top 15 teams, including the #1 team) they are given the shaft while Stanford gets rewarded for taking the easy way out.

This is where the 3+1 would've come in hand, as you could've substituted Stanford and Oregon and you wouldn't have heard a complaint from Stanfords side because if they wanted to make it in they could have just beaten Oregon. As you can see, some flaws in rankings could dramatically affect the way teams are seeded/ranked/involved.

On the Big 10/Pac 12 side, the flaws seem to be this:
1. Sometimes the Conference Champions aren't the Champions of a particularly strong conference. Sometimes the 3rd Conference Champion involved could be worse than the 2nd at large involved.
2. Conferences are looking out for themselves and don't want to please the fans by presenting the best of the best.

As you can see, both sides have some issues that need to be dealt with, but I think the Big 10/Pac 12 proposal is more desirable, and it's not because I live right in Big 10 country. This article justifies the 3+1 more than I can, so here you go: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...nd-one-playoff-model/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0 .

In theory the SEC/Big 12 proposal seems like the right ones, but again teams can get overrated and this allows for more diversity from the fans. If 3 of the top 4 teams are SEC ones you aren't going to nearly get as many viewers, as evidenced by the ratings of this most recent national championship (lowest rated ever in BCS era). While that might not be in the interest of fairness, it's clear that fans don't want to see a regionalized playoff if they don't have to. Theoretically I think it could still be improved on that by making the top 2 teams at home sites because it rewards the top 2 for their top play, saves some $ on the fans for travel reasons, having a better chance of filling up the stadium, and bringing some diversity to the game. Who doesn't want to see an SEC team try to use their speed on a cold field in the Big 10 with no crowd advantage? I know I would.

If the NCAA is looking to cash in the most they'll go 3+1, even if the SEC doesn't want something to not go their way.

Thoughts?

If they tweaked one little thing about the Top 4 scenario, I would go with that one. My tweak would be that you can't be in the Top 4 if you fail to win your division. Alabama didn't even win the SEC West, yet they still got in. I still believe a part of this was how Arkansas was ranked so high even when they got beat by Alabama and LSU which still irks me. The ACC and Big East haven't had strong conference winners so it would add pressure for them to do well and I want out of conference games to mean a little bit more seeing how most of the SEC teams schedule cupcakes as it is.

If they tweaked one little thing about the Top 4 scenario, I would go with that one. My tweak would be that you can't be in the Top 4 if you fail to win your division. Alabama didn't even win the SEC West, yet they still got in. I still believe a part of this was how Arkansas was ranked so high even when they got beat by Alabama and LSU which still irks me. The ACC and Big East haven't had strong conference winners so it would add pressure for them to do well and I want out of conference games to mean a little bit more seeing how most of the SEC teams schedule cupcakes as it is.

To be honest LJL I'm not a big fan of that tweak. It was pretty clear that LSU and Bama were the top 2 in the SEC and I don't think they should be totally punished due to circumstance. A lot of great teams play in the same division so you'd be watering down the field. OU/Texas play in the same division, as do Oregon/Stanford and LSU/Bama. If those teams that don't win the division are 11-1 and have proved themselves against other opponents I don't see why they shouldn't be included.

Top 4 teams as determined by the BCS system that is already in place. I don't care if that puts 4 teams from one conference from the playoff. It is unfortunate for team #5 but they should have done better.

Semis New Year's Day with the championship a week later. The New Year's games give casual fans a chance to learn more about the teams and players and get more invested. This only adds one extra game to the season and it should draw huge.

Top 4 teams as determined by the BCS system that is already in place. I don't care if that puts 4 teams from one conference from the playoff. It is unfortunate for team #5 but they should have done better.

But again, what if you end up in the situation like you did this year with Stanford and Oregon? Even though Oregon beat Stanford decisively and won the conference they're punished because they scheduled LSU Week 1? I think if you do it like that you're going to scare teams from beefing up their OOC because they know that if they start off high ranked like Stanford did all they have to do is keep winning no matter who it's against and they'll be rewarded even if they aren't the best team in the conference. How can you tell Oregon that they aren't good enough when you're inviting someone from their conference that they took care of and they were only ranked 1 spot worse?

Semis New Year's Day with the championship a week later. The New Year's games give casual fans a chance to learn more about the teams and players and get more invested. This only adds one extra game to the season and it should draw huge.

This I like. I don't want too much of a layoff between the two games, although I could see them also doing the semi's 2 weeks after the seasons over and then have the championship 2 weeks after that. That would make the slate of games about the middle of December then New Years Day. Either way the 40+ days off between games I think will be cut dramatically, as it should.

But again, what if you end up in the situation like you did this year with Stanford and Oregon? Even though Oregon beat Stanford decisively and won the conference they're punished because they scheduled LSU Week 1? I think if you do it like that you're going to scare teams from beefing up their OOC because they know that if they start off high ranked like Stanford did all they have to do is keep winning no matter who it's against and they'll be rewarded even if they aren't the best team in the conference. How can you tell Oregon that they aren't good enough when you're inviting someone from their conference that they took care of and they were only ranked 1 spot worse?

I wouldn't be sympathetic, Oregon took the risk, the national exposure and the money when they added LSU to their schedule. No system is going to be perfect and there will always be controversy over who gets that fourth spot. Plus with this system, maybe the voters will recognize the importance of the top 4 and put a team like Oregon over Stanford. Either way though, I would have no sympathy for Oregon and much rather have seen Luck competing for a National Championship.

In the end though, the only thing I want is for no conference to get an automatic bid. Especially when you have conferences like the Big East turn to complete crap in a short time. Although unlikely, the same could happen to the SEC.

Honestly, this is why I prefer the idea of having 4 16 team super conferences. Big10, SEC, ACC, Pac. However, since that is still a few years away, I think the better solution is having a 6 team playoff. All 5 real AQ conference champs (big10, sec, pac, big12, acc) gets in and one wild card spot for the best non AQ conference school. Top 2 teams get byes in the first round, playoff looks like the conference playoffs in the NFL.

I know that technically the big east is a aq conference, but honestly it has the talent level of WAC and CUSA, so I figure they can fight with the non aq schools over the last spot.

But then again, I am one of the rare fans that think eliminating the small schools and conferences from the top tier level wouldn't be bad. WAC, CUSA, big east, etc can go to a second tier much like JUCO and D-1AA have their own "national title".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back