How it should have been: Team WWE VS Nexus

TheKingofKings20222

WWE Attitude Era Champion
Ok, we all know how Summerslam 2010 played out. The big match on the card was Team WWE (Cena, Edge, Jericho, Bret Hart, Daniel Bryan, R-Truth, and John Morrison) VS The Nexus (Wade Barrett, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, David Otunga, Michael Tarver, Skip Sheffield, and Darren Young)

Now I for one, was immediately hooked on the Nexus storyline from the beginning. I loved the idea of these "Rookies" coming in and performing a hostile takeout of the WWE in order to get what they wanted. They showed no mercy, no remorse, and no signs of stopping. It brought back a lot of much needed suspense to the WWE product which was becoming bland. It reminded me a lot of the Attitude Era, where anything could happen. Unfortunately, Team WWE won the match, which was a MAJOR slip up by the WWE. The Nexus NEEDED to win that match. The NEEDED to prove that they could stand their ground against WWE's best. Losing only proved that they were nothing but rebellious rookies who couldn't get the job done when the playing ground was even.

If the WWE was smart, they could have played this off to be an even bigger storyline that could have drawn a lot of people back to the product. I have a scenario on how this match should have went. I feel that if the WWE had done this, then the Nexus storyline could have been on of the most memorable of all time.

MY SCENARIO

The weeks building up to this match was full on suspense and anticipation. Cena relentlessly tried to recruit superstars to deal with the threat of the Nexus. Beat down after beat down finally convinced Edge and Jericho to join, but they only had 6 members on Team WWE. The final Raw before Summerslam, the Nexus were chased out of the ring and into the stands by Team WWE. The two teams shared a staredown for a few minutes, hyping that something was about to happen. I believed that someone was about to come out and be announced as the final member of Team WWE, but sadly, the show ended awkwardly without anything happening.

However, what if someone had come out? What if....TRIPLE H had returned? Triple H had been gone for a while, but was able to return. Had he came out and was announced as the 7th man for Team WWE, the arena would have gone nuts. Not only would that have been an historic Raw moment, but I also believe that this would have boosted the number of buys for the PPV.

The following Sunday, Team WWE VS Team Nexus begins. The teams go back and forth, and it eventually comes down to Triple H and John Cena VS Wade Barrett and Justin Gabriel. The ref gets knocked out, leaving Barrett free to grab a chair. He goes to hit The game with the chair, only to have it stripped from him by Cena. Cena goes to swing the chair at Barrett, only to hit Triple H with the chair as Barrett ducks under it. Wade throws Cena out of the ring and pins The Game as the ref comes too. It leaves Wade and Gabriel VS Cena. The two keep the upper hand on Cena. Gabriel goes for the 450 Splash, only to have Cena counter it and hit the AA and pin Gabriel. Barrett comes in and immediately goes to work on Cena. He picks him up for the Wasteland, only to have Cena counter. He picks up Barrett for the AA. Barrett slides off his shoulders and pushes Cena into the ref, who falls back down. Barrett runs for a big boot only to have Cena catch him for an AA! He tries to pin him, but the ref is still down. Cena checks on him. He picks Barrett up only to be low blowed by him. Barrett hits a Wasteland on Cena, and tries to go for the pin. 1......2..... Cena kicks out. Wade tries to go for another Wasteland. He picks Cena up only to have him slide off his shoulders and pick him up for the AA. Just as Cena gets him on his shoulders, he gets hit right in the face with a sledgehammer by Triple H! Cena goes down. Barrett pins him as the groggy ref (Not seeing the sledgehammer shot) slowly counts 1.....2.....3. Triple H stands over Cena looking at his lifeless body. He looks at Barrett. Barrett smiles and holds his fist up. Triple H holds his up as well. Barrett hands him a Nexus Armband, and Triple H slowly slides it on while looking at Cena. The Nexus come out to celebrate. Triple H poses over Cena's body as the PPV ends.

Now, there are a few reasons on why I chose this scenario.

1. It makes sense for Triple H to come to the aid of the WWE seeing as how his father-in-law owns it.

2. Triple H has lead two big stables in the WWE (DX and Evolution) and it would be very interesting to lead this stable because it is basically a mixture of the two. You have the radical, panic, chaos, and disorder of DX, mixed with the young, future stars of the WWE led by an expirienced veteran like Evolution.

3. The John Cena Heel Turn (as great as it would have been) would only have hurt the WWE more than helped. At this point, CM Punk was NO WHERE near as big of a star as he is now. The WWE had no backup guy to take Cena's place. (Orton cannot draw as much as Cena)

4. Triple H turning heel however, could really help the WWE. HHH has been a face ever since 2006 when he and HBK reformed DX. When Triple H was a heel, he was one of the best. Him turning heel could have helped the WWE out.

Now, obviously I know This would have required Triple H to be on screen more often, but I do believe he would have done it if asked. This could have easily launched the Nexus-WWE feud into a historic storyline. But now I must as the question, do you agree or disagree with this scenario? What would you have done? Tell how you believe It should have been.

I disagree because the events that took place at SummerSlam, in my mind, were the right choices. Firstly Team WWE had to go over on Nexus. While many of us, as fans, were angry at the decision it was the right one. You had a team of WWE superstars against a team of rookies. In the build to the event Nexus were seen as rookies to the fans. They were not superstars at this point. How can a team of rookies beat some of the best superstars the WWE has on a major PPV event?

Simply they can't.

What does it say when rookies can come into your company and defeat a team hand picked by John Cena, your biggest star and best in the world, on the second biggest stage in the business? To me that doesn't make any sense. I couldn't believe that these rookies could come in a beat up a team with John Cena, Edge, Chris Jericho, Khali, Bret Hart, John Morrison and R-Truth? The thing most people forget is that Nexus had been really dominate up until this point. It wasn't like the WWE was beating them every week leading up to the event. Nexus was on a roll and they needed the loss. It shows that the WWE still stands a chance when they stick together.

Now you have to think about the way Team WWE won. They didn't win with Cena making a huge comeback and him taking out all of the members. Cena was smarter than the remaining Nexus and that's how he got the win. It wasn't Cena doing something magical, all he did was outsmart his opponents.

The way it was done was fine as it showed Nexus had a weakness and that the WWE could fight back against them.

WWE dropped the ball with Nexus when they started talking about the 'higher power' then nothing came of it. I always thought Jericho was the guy who'd be revealed to be the leader but when he 'retired' for a while that kind of put water on the fire and my opinion WWE should have given Nexus the win at SummerSlam which was needed, sure WWE would have been jobbing out 7 of their big names but to continue Nexus' domination it was paramount they won on the biggest show possible. When WWE didn't do it at the next opportune time to give Nexus the group a nice big win would have been at Survivor Series (minus Barrett) they dropped the ball.

HHH was injured at the time so HHH returning wouldn't have happened unless he was primarily the voice of the Nexus which Nexus DIDN'T need, the John Cena heel turn was clamoured by many but realistically wouldn't have worked it wasn’t the right fit Cena being a heel would be reminiscent of his feud with Rock earlier this year not leading a rebel group. CM Punk being the leader made less sense than Cena but at least for 4+ month he tried to do something with the New Nexus but realistically Orton taken them out before WM27 theoretically killed the group, not having New Nexus vs Corre at WM27 which was set up pretty much showed the writing was on the wall for both stables, sad how a productive storyline was dropped, stepped on and not even salvaged to any degree.

To the OP.

If HHH had gotten involved the storyline would of turned into HHH featuring several rookies vs John Cena. Thus the next five months of Barret's push would of been pushed aside in favour of.... HHH.... Meaning you and every other person that calls themself a smark or apart of the iwc whatever would of been pissed off that the storyline turned into hhh vs cena.

I don't see any interesting angle involving a team WWE vs Nexus. The best angle would've been a Nexus vs Corre angle 6 months later in 2011 IMO.

What I would rather have seen was:

The Nexus (Captain – Wade Barrett, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater, David Otunga, Skip Sheffield, Michael Tarver and Darren Young)
vs.
The Champions of the WWE (Captain – John Cena, WWE Champion – Sheamus, World Champion – Kane, Intercontinental Champion – Dolph Ziggler, United States Champion – the Miz, Unified WWE World Tag Team Champions – the Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd)

I believe if this was the lineup Team WWE used, losing to the Nexus would have not only been acceptable, being that more than half the Champions weren’t exactly Main Attraction Stars, but it would have also given the “N” the credibility of being a dangerous force defeating the WWE Champions.

To replace the 3 Title matches that took place at SummerSlam 2010, I would have teamed Big Show up with Rey Mysterio and Kofi Kingston to face the Straight Edge Society making it 3 on 3. Randy Orton’s role at SummerSlam could have been to try to help Team WWE win, only to be stopped by the returning Daniel Bryan, who would then still be a part of the Nexus.

I just feel that they really rushed the storylines start and should have dragged it out a bit. Maybe with the win at SummerSlam, the Nexus could have received Title shots at the following PPVs.

Your angle lacks psychology for one BIG GAPING REASON. You have Cena prevent Barrett from smashing HHH with a chair? If HHH was a Nexus guy the whole time, why would Barrett be whaling a chair at him at all? How did Barrett anticipate that Cena was going to stop him?

I agree that having Triple H join Nexus would of been the right move in the long run. But Summerslam was done properly. Now if you had Triple H show up at say, TLC, and reveal then, it gives Barrett the big push before going to Cena/HHH. Which in turn would of given a great explanation and more depth to HHH/Undertaker at WM27 due to Nexus burying him alive at Bragging Rights I think it was.

If the OP's angle played out like that, Barrett would have nothing going for him at all, it would of made no sense at all considering Barrett was more than willing to destroy his leaders face with a chair, and it would of put Nexus as a pure background rather than in the forefront for 4/5 months.

I agree with the poster that said Team WWE had to go over. It was top stars against rookies. I was disappointed that it went down like that, but I can't see any other way. If HHH would have gotten involved it would have revolved around him and Cena, and Barrett would have never gotten to shine. I still wish they would have went somewhere with the higher power though because that is where I think the story started going downhill. It was never resolved, and we were left thinking WTF in a bad way though. At the time I couldn't figure out why Nexus didn't go over, but looking back I think it was the best route to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back