I brained up a major conundrum that I need you smart people to make sense of

Pepe Silvia

Occasional Pre-Show
You know how in Inception you could like, enter people's dreams? If you entered the dream of a deaf person, could the other people manifested in the dream... hear you?

Do deaf people's brains generate deaf dream people?

See, that's how I originally started looking at it: "Well, they don't know how to interact by using words, so there'd be no reason for them to receive words from anyone in their dream." But the whole second party being in there melted my thinker

Almost every deaf person I've talked to, and every case I've read about online has said that they dream in sign. So if you entered a deaf person's dream...you'd be sharing consciousness. The people in the dream (we're talking Inception rules here) would be a manifestation of their subconscious, not yours.

Depends on when they went deaf, if they could hear for a portion of their life. If they went deaf after some sort of accident, then they would have known what words sound like & may still dream that way.

I'd be much more interested in knowing what someone who was born blind "sees" when they dream.

Almost every deaf person I've talked to, and every case I've read about online has said that they dream in sign. So if you entered a deaf person's dream...you'd be sharing consciousness. The people in the dream (we're talking Inception rules here) would be a manifestation of their subconscious, not yours.

Spoken in his best Leo DiCaprio attempt at anger and seriousness:

"Damn it Mike! He's talking Inception here, not just first level dream states, to pull off this level of heist we are talking third level! Do you know what happens in the third level?!?!"

Am I the only one who feels Dicaprio was poorly cast in a lot of his movies? Inception, Departed, that movie with the blood diamonds (I think it's called Blood Diamond)?

Depends on when they went deaf, if they could hear for a portion of their life. If they went deaf after some sort of accident, then they would have known what words sound like & may still dream that way.

Exactly right. I went deaf at age 11, so I know what it is to hear and my dreams are often in sound. Someone deaf from birth couldn't know what it is to hear and their dreams would reflect that.

Exactly right. I went deaf at age 11, so I know what it is to hear and my dreams are often in sound. Someone deaf from birth couldn't know what it is to hear and their dreams would reflect that.

That must be aggravating for you :( So do you still have an internal monologue?
I've often wondered how people born without hearing think to themselves.

That must be aggravating for you :( So do you still have an internal monologue?

I haven't heard in 22 years; it's not aggravating, it's part of life. Yes, I have internal monologue but I also communicate by speech. Reading lips & answering back with my voice. I can't hear myself speak but I have no trouble making myself understood.

Did you ever know a woman who doesn't talk?;)

I haven't heard in 22 years; it's not aggravating, it's part of life. Yes, I have internal monologue but I also communicate by speech. Reading lips & answering back with my voice. I can't hear myself speak but I have no trouble making myself understood.

Did you ever know a woman who doesn't talk?;)

A girl I house-shared with at uni was partially deaf, and she was the loudest person I've ever met.

I'm curious; have you retained your accent?

A girl I house-shared with at uni was partially deaf, and she was the loudest person I've ever met.

I'm curious; have you retained your accent?

All teh cool kids are partially deaf.

Spoken in his best Leo DiCaprio attempt at anger and seriousness:

"Damn it Mike! He's talking Inception here, not just first level dream states, to pull off this level of heist we are talking third level! Do you know what happens in the third level?!?!"

Am I the only one who feels Dicaprio was poorly cast in a lot of his movies? Inception, Departed, that movie with the blood diamonds (I think it's called Blood Diamond)?

I've always felt Dicaprio was a right-place-right-time actor. He gets signed onto these films which end up being brilliant and make a ton of money, but he's never actually the REASON they're really good. I'm not saying Leo is bad, by any means, he's just not as great as the films he stars in... For those who saw it, I actually liked him a lot in Shutter Island. His notorious over-acting actually made perfect sense with the whole "I'm a crazy person" gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back