I'm leaving on a jet plane...

That it is, though ironically I usually find I get colder during the spring and autumn months than I do during winter, when the heating is turned up to eleven in every building in the city.

So it's been close to a year and a half, but Russia has finally started to pay dividends.

For reasons I don't really understand, video games purchased on Steam from Russia typically cost somewhere between half and a quarter of the price that they do in the US and UK. This didn't help me last year since I lacked the necessary Russian credit card to take advantage.
Well my card finally came t'other day, and I've discovered that not only are the prices atypically reasonable, but that we also still get those ridiculous Steam sales.

So I'm now buying recent AAA releases for less than £3 a game. I don't actually want any of these games, but what the fuck, why not? Sadly gifting games from Russia is blocked.

No they don't. It's pretty hard getting them when you're actually in Russia - I had to create a new account for the purpose, since the automatic assumption is that anyone attempting to change their address to Russia is doing so to exploit the system and acquire cheep games.

So today I signed the contract for my next adventure - this time in Saudi Arabia.

That's right; the land of baking sunshine, lucrative tax free salaries and public stoning for crimes such as sorcery and fornication. I can hardly wait.

To teach or do something else? Because the teaching industry over there is collapsing due to over saturation.

Will you be confined to one of them there compounds?

Unfortunately not; the compounds are becoming considerably rarer these days with the number of teachers currently employed. They've promised me a complex populated predominantly with British people, but what they deliver on is anyone's guess at the moment.

At least gas will be cheap. Just don't be caught *********ing. They'll castrate you... before they execute you.

No they won't. They'll execute whichever woman I was thinking about. Keep up.

Gelgarin ya old twat how ya been?

Saudi Arabia, heard the women there are tame and luscious.

The women there are off limits and will probably never be spoken to outside of the occasional obligatory dinner invitation. If I was letting my gentiles serve as a compass then there would be no reason short of the inevitable testicular frostbite to ever leave Russia.

Visa application is lodged. As a pleasant surprise, I discovered the other day that an old friend of mine from university who also went into EFL is going to be working for the same organisation this year. It's not guaranteed that we'll be stationed together (the way it works is that the recruitment firms ship the teachers over, then the company sort them out into groups based on general shitness and ship them wherever necessary) but since we've both got a contract clause promising us Al Baha or Abha (mountain cities with cooler climates) there's pretty decent odds.

Now I have to throw away 90% of my 'non-business-suit wardrobe' (which is very small, and why I always arrive to the UK PPV meets in a shitty business suit) that was constructed for Russia and replace it with a similar one for Saudi. I've done much less research this time around, and shit is starting to get real.

Unfortunately not; the compounds are becoming considerably rarer these days with the number of teachers currently employed. They've promised me a complex populated predominantly with British people, but what they deliver on is anyone's guess at the moment.

No they won't. They'll execute whichever woman I was thinking about. Keep up.

They'll find a way to get you, Gelgarin.

They always do.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. :(

Departing for the Kingdom tomorrow. Panicking more than is reasonable for someone who's done this the past two years.

Landed comparatively safely, except for the bit where I missed my flight out of Riyadh airport and was stranded with with no cellphone, internet connection or knowledge of the language with 500 miles of sand between me and where I needed to be. All worked out OK.

First impressions are that, but for one major factor, Saudi is a nicer place to live than Russia. The climate, whilst not enjoyable, is a fuck ton more manageable than Siberia. I'm working in Al Baha, which is in the mountainous region of the country, and consequently is a good 10-15 degrees cooler than most other places. It's still like mid summer pretty much all the time, but it's workable.

Food and consumer goods are considerably more available than in Russia. Since the Saudi's import pretty much 100% of their food, the supermarkets are almost indistinguishable from their western counterparts. Concentrated fruit juice and Texas BBQ Pringles have already been located, which is a big victory.

I'm in shared accommodation this year, which is a bit of a fucker (ugly old men), but my personal section of the apartment is roughly the same size as what I was occupying across the Iron Curtain, so one can't complain.

The job is a piece of piss at present on account of their not being any students. They make us go into the university every day, but outside of one 40 minutes seminar all I'm doing there is sitting on my hands, playing Civilization or *********ing furiously. I get my own office this year, which is huge. This is less a reflection of my status with the company then the fact that the Saudi's have build the biggest university I have ever seen in a city with only 120,000 residents, and have finally more space than they know what to do with. I'm already having an argument with the higher ups about what constitutes essential teaching supplies, which I will ultimately win, but not in short enough order to be of any benefit.

The one drawback I hinted at earlier is the complete absence of women. I typically find them more agreeable company than their entesticled counterparts, especially when I'm overseas. This is going to be a major, major drag as the months tick by, and right now I suspect with put me off wanting to sign up for a second year.

There's plenty more, but since I still haven't written to my darling mother yet, that's all you fuckers are getting. Boradband is an ongoing dispute between me and the ugly old men, but if everything goes according to plan I should be back online before sundown tomorrow. At present I have to sit in a communal area in the apartment complex, which doesn't have a lot of Saudi's, but does have a sizable quadrant of mosquito.

So during today's episode of 'using my elite Google skills to stick my nose into the private lives of others' I uncovered that one of the men I am living with is a former BNP electoral candidate and was kicked out of UKIP for being too much of a dick.

How does one leverage this kind of information?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back