Int Region, S.A. Subregion, Second Round: (5) Chris Jericho vs. (12) Mil Mascaras

Who wins this match?

• Chris Jericho

• Mil Mascaras

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the International Region, San Antonio Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules, meaning the match is held under the standard rules of the country the match is held in. It will be held at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Assume one week has passed since the first round match.

aerial.jpg

220px-Milan_Chris_Jericho_2.jpg

#5. Chris Jericho

Vs.

02.jpg

#12. Mil Mascaras

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Chris Jericho bitches about how unprofessional and difficult Mil Mascaras was when he beat him in Japan back in the day. Mascaras, out of prime, beat Jericho, out of prime. But what about in prime?

Jericho has a losing record against most people around the same time as him, and it is clear that he has never really been considered a long term option for the WWE. Mascaras on the other hand has been hugely over everywhere he has wrestled, and they changed the rules about masked wrestlers at MSG so he could perform there, where he beat the WWWF champion.

For me, as entertaining as Jericho is, this has to be Mascaras'. He is more successful, has proved to be a bigger draw, and has more than one huge success to dine out on. That The fact he was strongly booked against the WWWF and NWA champions du jour would suggest the region doesn't affect him.

Has to be Mascaras.

After consideration I may have to agree with your pick of Mascaras Tasty. I'm a massive Jericho fan myself, and I know his career pretty well. I can say that his wins over Rock and Austin, while awesome, he was never able to replicate the same thing again. When he became world champion he won the title in a scramble only to be beaten by Batista. He won the title back and was beaten by Cena... his last title he won in the Chamber. Cena and Batista were two of WWE's best draws at the time, and they both dethroned Jericho. Unlike other foreigners that worked internationally, Mascaras was usually booked as a face... not just in the States, but Japan as well.

Mil Mascaras defeated guys like Billy Graham and the The Sheik when they were champion, so him being booked to beat Jericho wouldn't have been a stretch. Mascaras was also so popular Stateside that he was allowed to wrestle MSG with his mask on... which was huge because they didn't allow masked wrestlers to work there... but they bent the rules for Mascaras, not just once, but several times.

A prime Jericho would certainly be a heel... and what really hurts him are the length of his titles reigns; not impressive at all for a major heel at the top of the card. Billy Graham was a far better and bigger heel than Jericho, and Mascaras still beat him.

The only logical conclusion is that Mascaras would win this match; and it doesn't natter where.

I went with Mascaras. I am a huge Jericho fan, but he was never the go to guy. To that what struck me most was the fact that MSG bent the rules on the ban on masked wrestler just for Mascaras to wrestle there. Why didn't MSG allow masked wrestlers anyway?? Jericho has a ton of accolades, but Mascaras beat bigger names in his day. He goes over in this one.

I just don't have a clue how to vote here, with little way of working out how to either. Plus I have some big problems here being unbiased - I love Chris and I hate Mil.

Mil never really won anything outside of Mexico, but so few did. El Santo never held a North American title, nor did Blue Demon. Neither did El Canek, nor has Mistico. Only modern Mexican crossovers have attained any title success, such as ADR, Guerrero and Mysterio. This isn't to say that Mascaras hasn't been impressive over seas without winning any gold, as he certainly has.

Jericho DOES lose a lot, that's undeniable. I have no way of guessing how a prime Jericho would do here. Prime Jericho was pretty close to the top of WWF - it was a mediocre reign, but he was there and would be there again after a break from the world title scene. Even when he wasn't holding titles he was frequently a challenger - always cropping up in elimination chambers and booked strong, having shots against Cena etc. It didn't come to much but he was still relevant - he was midcard in WCW and at first in WWF, but as soon as he hit the main event he was always booked and considered a threat, despite suffering mostly losses during those times. Still, six world championships is a haul and not a flash in the pan.

Ok let's look at Mil Mascaras Vs main event talent in the States.

4-1 up Vs Ivan Koloff.
2-2 Vs Billy Graham
3 draws and a win Vs a very old Lou Thesz
2 wins and a draw Vs Don Muraco
1-0 over Foley
1-0 over Sgt. Slaughter
1-0 over Iron Sheik
1-0 over Harley Race

Lol fuck. When voting in kayfabe I've got no counter to that, although I hate it. That was a ton of California too, San Antonio suits even more. Mascaras goes over, the guy just didn't lose :( I hope Jericho wins, I've just got nothing that says he would. This is opening up nicely for Sammartino imo, Jericho in a gimmick match would be far tougher.

I like Chris Jericho but I'm going to use the same argument I always use against him. He just doesn't win big matches very often. He's always been an internet favorite and because of that people usually ignore the win loss record. Jericho has lost to guys far less impressive than Mascaras.

Gotta go with 1000 Masks. Texas is his turf. The people will will him over the Ayatolla. Plus, he's a legend who has what it takes to defeat y2j, who was never more than an upper midcarder.

Somehow Jericho's winning. Proving people are stupid and overrate Jericho. A career midcarder is somehow beating one of the top stars in Mexico who has a penchant for doing things his way. Color me cynical, but I actually pay attention to the fact that besides Edge, Jericho never had good luck over a major star unless he was a placeholder for another major star.

Stop being stupid and vote for Mil Mascaras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back