Internet providers to begin warning customers who pirate content

Moon Knight

Original Prince of Darkness
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/tech/web/copyright-alert-system/index.html

Pisses me off because not only do I have one of those providers, there is a chance I could be falsely accused and then have to pay $35 to maybe fix it. Does this affect YouTube?

I am all full copyright holders protecting their work and having the right to make a profit off it.....But their responses to illegal file sharing have the potential to harm innocent people and limit internet freedoms.

Don't know about you, but I will consider suing them if I get one notice. Sad how far this country is falling. Is Canada any better on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/tech/web/copyright-alert-system/index.html

Pisses me off because not only do I have one of those providers, there is a chance I could be falsely accused and then have to pay $35 to maybe fix it. Does this affect YouTube?

That goes for any law, you could be falsely accused for most everything.

I am all full copyright holders protecting their work and having the right to make a profit off it.....But their responses to illegal file sharing have the potential to harm innocent people and limit internet freedoms.

Are you for protecting their work or not? Do you have a better suggestion for how they protect their work?

Don't know about you, but I will consider suing them if I get one notice. Sad how far this country is falling. Is Canada any better on this?

You're kidding, right? Good luck with your lawsuit.

Holy overreaction, Batman!

Well, not really. There's two central problems. One is ISPs taking the side of major industry instead of their customers. It's a big "fuck you" to everyone who pays for their service. They should stand up for their customers and protect them, instead of selling them out to the RIAA, etc. Then there's this whole $35 "guilty until proven innocent" thing, which is a pretty shitty business practice.

I'm not under one of these ISPs currently, so I'm not super broken up about it. If the time comes that I do have to get my Internet from someone that is a part of this, I'll probably just get a VPN or something. Or switch entirely to private trackers...or usenet.

Well, not really. There's two central problems. One is ISPs taking the side of major industry instead of their customers. It's a big "fuck you" to everyone who pays for their service. They should stand up for their customers and protect them, instead of selling them out to the RIAA, etc. Then there's this whole $35 "guilty until proven innocent" thing, which is a pretty shitty business practice.
Thank you. They are putting their customers at risk in favor of pandering to big business.

I'm not under one of these ISPs currently, so I'm not super broken up about it. If the time comes that I do have to get my Internet from someone that is a part of this, I'll probably just get a VPN or something. Or switch entirely to private trackers...or usenet.
This is what I am looking into. I don't download illegally, it is not for that.

I get it, there's potential for some abuse here, but I'm just fine with ISPs taking this stance. I don't download illegally, so this isn't a blow to me, at all. Why should ISPs protect customers who break the law? That's completely ridiculous, isn't it? Yes, it's a little fucked up that you have to pay $35 to have your case reviewed if you feel you've been wrongfully accused, but that shouldn't really be an issue if you're not pirating copyrighted material.

I get it, there's potential for some abuse here, but I'm just fine with ISPs taking this stance. I don't download illegally, so this isn't a blow to me, at all. Why should ISPs protect customers who break the law? That's completely ridiculous, isn't it? Yes, it's a little fucked up that you have to pay $35 to have your case reviewed if you feel you've been wrongfully accused, but that shouldn't really be an issue if you're not pirating copyrighted material.

It isn't ridiculous at all. ISPs are not - or at least, should not be - instruments of the law. Their job is to provide access to the Internet, a basic right in a modern democratic society. They should be silent middlemen, not responsible for the actions of their consumers one way or another. Instead, they've been part pressured, part willingly accompliced to becoming part of the big industry/governmental attempt to shut down the free sharing of information. This is a problem, and is directly opposed to the goals of a free, open society that exists increasingly on the Internet.

It isn't ridiculous at all. ISPs are not - or at least, should not be - instruments of the law. Their job is to provide access to the Internet, a basic right in a modern democratic society. They should be silent middlemen, not responsible for the actions of their consumers one way or another. Instead, they've been part pressured, part willingly accompliced to becoming part of the big industry/governmental attempt to shut down the free sharing of information. This is a problem, and is directly opposed to the goals of a free, open society that exists increasingly on the Internet.

This just sounds like people trying to justify their own (oft illegal) Internet activity. The Internet will be just as free and open as it ever was, to people who don't download illegal content. For those that decide not to abide by copyright law, it'll be a fly in the ointment. Regardless, ISPs have every right to control illegal activity on a service they offer. People will still be able to share information, they'll just have to do it legally. Nothing wrong with that.

Let's be honest, though -- the "punishment" is rather tame. Your IP (no other personal info) is flagged and your ISP then sends you a warning. Not that big of a deal.

This just sounds like people trying to justify their own (oft illegal) Internet activity. The Internet will be just as free and open as it ever was, to people who don't download illegal content. For those that decide not to abide by copyright law, it'll be a fly in the ointment. Regardless, ISPs have every right to control illegal activity on a service they offer. People will still be able to share information, they'll just have to do it legally. Nothing wrong with that.

Let's be honest, though -- the "punishment" is rather tame. Your IP (no other personal info) is flagged and your ISP then sends you a warning. Not that big of a deal.

What I don't like, fundamentally, is the precedent set. ISPs have made it clear who they work for. In an era where SOPA, CISPA, PIPA, ACTA, and so on variants continually rear their head, it's very disturbing to know that the ISPs sit firmly on the side of the people that are trying to restrict the Internet.

We can debate the legality and morality of piracy on one hand, but what's truly at stake here is the precedent set, and ultimately what has me most worried when I see this and other stories like it.

What I don't like, fundamentally, is the precedent set. ISPs have made it clear who they work for. In an era where SOPA, CISPA, PIPA, ACTA, and so on variants continually rear their head, it's very disturbing to know that the ISPs sit firmly on the side of the people that are trying to restrict the Internet.

We can debate the legality and morality of piracy on one hand, but what's truly at stake here is the precedent set, and ultimately what has me most worried when I see this and other stories like it.

Understandable, especially when you consider how much of an impact the Internet has on our lives in this day and age. Still, people are prone to overrations when it comes to this type of thing. I can see why some people fear that this is the beginning of an Internet where you're heavily monitored and restricted in what you can do, but I can also see this being a small change to how some folks use the Internet, which won't be the "gateway" to restricting the Internet.

Sounds like ISPs are doing the right thing and helping to protect people"s property. If you don't like it you can find another ISP or get off the internet.

Do you truly believe it's the right thing for ISPs to become the enforcement arm of corporate and governmental interests, as opposed to neutral facilitators of access to the Internet?

Do you truly believe it's the right thing for ISPs to become the enforcement arm of corporate and governmental interests, as opposed to neutral facilitators of access to the Internet?

I don't have a better idea. I would rather the government, corporations, small businesses, partnerships, artists, musicians, writers, and I have some protection than none. The current system is not working.

From reading the linked article this seems to really only apply to bit-torrents. I was under the impression that such methods were passé. So-called cyber/file lockers, like the already closed down megaupload, are the real targets they should be worried about.

Yes I do.

Let me fix this quote for you.
Do you truly believe it's the right thing for ISPs to PREVENT BREAKING THE LAW, as opposed to neutral facilitators of access to the Internet?

They are being paid to provide a service. They are making sure that their service is not being used for illegal acts. If they are used for illegal acts, they are making sure that the illegal acts are stopped. Good for them.

Based on how you feel with the internet and how ISPs shouldn't prevent law-breaking, it is clear you are against ISPs giving information of child predators, or suspected terrorists.

Sad, Harthan, sad.

But they were protecting the law by PROTECTING PRIVACY RIGHTS. Now they turn over those rights for another "law" that's probably unconstitutional in it's own right.

Much like a private company you work for has the right to turn you over to the police for theft in the workplace, internet providers have the right to turn you over for piracy. It is illegal, personal ideals set completely aside, and therefor I don't blame companies for throwing their customers who are using the internet "illegally" under the bus. If they don't, they stand a very good chance of being caught in the cross-fire between lawsuits. It's like the accomplice that gets out of jail time for providing "dirt" on a criminal. So do I blame these providers? Not really, as long as they're going about it the "right way", if there is such a thing. The idea that Comcast or these other companies are buddies, responsible for our needs, is ridiculous. They are giant, billion dollar companies, not your friend Steven. They're much more like a landlord, who you pay money to for services. And if you violate the terms of your lease, you pay for it. Same principles apply here.

The problem is, torrenting isn't an illegal activity. Neither is having files on your computer, regardless of whether or not you can prove you own them. Downloading isn't even what they'll charge you for; it's uploading that you really have to watch out for. So as long as you're not seeding, I don't think you'll have a big problem. But then, if that holds true across the board, nobody will seed and the whole process comes to a standstill. The ridiculous thing about the whole torrenting deal, is that people have been charged hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few GB's of data. That's ridiculous. The thought of the big companies is that, if they can charge you, they can charge you for every single person that has downloaded from you. So you're essentially paying $30 for a movie EVERY single time somebody seeds off you. My opinion is: if Fox wants to charge me for the movie I stole from them, at most they should be able to FINE (not sue) me for $20, or the value of the film.

Bigger problem: there's no real, solid legislation for all this stuff. There's never needed to be. But every time they try to put laws in place, it's filled with a bunch of clauses that would basically say "fuck the constitution". It's not an easy road to traverse, because most torrenting sites are from different countries, there's no legislation to say A, B, C happens... It's a mess. And I don't envy the companies trying to work it all out.

That being said, I agree with Harthan that it sets a terrible precedent, and one that I could easily see being a catalyst for further, stricter control. I personally download a ridiculous amount of data. Almost every album and movie, not to mention TV show and episode of wrestling I watch, I torrent. But the thing is, I don't have cable or satellite TV. In a lot of cases, it's the only way for me to watch them. And to my own credit, if I enjoy something enough to watch or listen to it again, I'll go out to the store and buy it. I spend hundreds at movie theaters every year; I see no reason to pay for these films 2 and 3 times. But I'm not going to justify my torrenting; it's illegal, and that's my issue. If Comcast wants to make a deal about it, that's their right as a company and service provider. I am breaking a contract I sign with them - it's in there, read up - that says I won't practice illegal things with their internet. They have every right to follow LEGAL METHODS to take care of it. The simplest thing would be to drop me; I don't actually see a legal precedent that says they can give my information to companies to sue me.

Sounds like a good opportunity for just 1 provider to buck the trend and steal unhappy customers from everyone else. Any attempt by BT to introduce this in the UK will lead to me changing provider, and they know it, which is why they're all resisting.

Well, not really. There's two central problems. One is ISPs taking the side of major industry instead of their customers. It's a big "fuck you" to everyone who pays for their service.
Completely untrue. They are taking the side of what is the best business practice for them.

They should stand up for their customers and protect them, instead of selling them out to the RIAA, etc.
Why? Why should they stand up for those who are breaking the law? What kind of warped thinking is that?

Then there's this whole $35 "guilty until proven innocent" thing, which is a pretty shitty business practice.
I don't care much for that, but the fact is you get something like FIVE notices, before anything bad even begins to happen. With the first few notices, the ISP instructs you on how to tighten your network security and how to avoid accidentally downloading illegal materials.

Quite frankly, if you're busted multiple times for illegally downloading material, then you're either a moron or guilty. Either way, it's not the ISPs responsibility to deal with you.

Or you could just not pirate content. Either way. :shrug:

Thank you. They are putting their customers at risk in favor of pandering to big business.

This is what I am looking into. I don't download illegally, it is not for that.
They are not pandering to big business, they are covering their ass as well as helping to crack down on law breakers.

Not at all the same thing.

Exactly right, dead on.

It isn't ridiculous at all. ISPs are not - or at least, should not be - instruments of the law.
Nor are they acting as such. :shrug:

Their job is to provide access to the Internet, a basic right in a modern democratic society. They should be silent middlemen, not responsible for the actions of their consumers one way or another.
This is an opinion which clearly hasn't been thought out, or is clearly ignorant on the way the Internet, not to mention our legal system, works.

Either way, just no.

Instead, they've been part pressured, part willingly accompliced to becoming part of the big industry/governmental attempt to shut down the free sharing of information. This is a problem, and is directly opposed to the goals of a free, open society that exists increasingly on the Internet.
Bullshit.

I torrent files all the time, no one has ever said a word. Then again, I only torrent LEGAL files, like computer distributions or other FOSS items. You can torrent files which exist in the public domain all you want, like classic novels for example.

You're pissed because ISPs are helping their customers become accountable for breaking the law. That's just absurd.

This just sounds like people trying to justify their own (oft illegal) Internet activity.
Yup.

Regardless, ISPs have every right to control illegal activity on a service they offer.
Actually, this isn't technically the same thing as what's happening.

The ISPs aren't controlling illegal activity, they are discouraging it and potentially punishing it. Controlling would indicate packet monitoring, which I would have a much bigger issue with from the whole net neutrality concept.

What's happening here is the big media companies are roaming the torrents finding those who are participating in pirating, and they turn over IP addresses to the ISPs to take care of. That's all that's going on here. The ISP is not actively seeking anything.

What I don't like, fundamentally, is the precedent set. ISPs have made it clear who they work for.
Damn right they have.

ISPs work for themselves. They do what is in their own best interest. Shocking, I know.

In an era where SOPA, CISPA, PIPA, ACTA, and so on variants continually rear their head, it's very disturbing to know that the ISPs sit firmly on the side of the people that are trying to restrict the Internet.
Wow, you are confusing these issues quite a bit.

SOPA and PIPA WERE cases where free speech could be restricted by the GOVERNMENT. This is not at all the same thing. This is a copyright holder engaging in the online sharing of their property, and asking the ISPs to do their part to reduce this type of illegal activity.

There's a big difference between government sponsored free speech sanctioning (not to mention the dangerous precipice of due process removal) and ISPs working to protect the laws of their own volition.

Except that's not what's happening, so your hyperbole, while certainly rating well on the FUD scale, happens to fall very short when confronted with reason.
But they were protecting the law by PROTECTING PRIVACY RIGHTS. Now they turn over those rights for another "law" that's probably unconstitutional in it's own right.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. I suggest you leave the conversation, and for your own sake, immediately.

Actually, this isn't technically the same thing as what's happening.

The ISPs aren't controlling illegal activity, they are discouraging it and potentially punishing it. Controlling would indicate packet monitoring, which I would have a much bigger issue with from the whole net neutrality concept.

What's happening here is the big media companies are roaming the torrents finding those who are participating in pirating, and they turn over IP addresses to the ISPs to take care of. That's all that's going on here. The ISP is not actively seeking anything.

Poorly worded on my part. I'm aware of what's actually going on, as I've read up on this subject over the past few days (ever since I first caught wind of the CNN article).

BREAKING NEWS: Company chooses who can and can't use their services. More at 5.

Believe whatever you lot want. Don't come crying to me when the great national firewall descends. Enjoy your ivory towers in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back