Int'l Region, Fargo Subregion, First Round: (11) Rey Mysterio vs. (22) Steve Williams

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Rey Mysterio

• Steve Williams

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Fargo Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules. It will be held at Fargodome in Fargo, North Dakota.

350x200_73.jpg

Rey-Mysterio-rey-mysterio-22462048-364-450.jpg

#11. Rey Mysterio

Vs.

drdeath_main2_bio.png

#22. Steve Williams

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

So I take a stab at this one since nobody else has. I like Rey Mysterio. I had a smile on my face the first time he won the world title. Even though he did it in Eddie Guerrero's place. I wouldn't considered him to be a strong champion because he had as many high profile losses as he did high profile defenses.

Dr Death was a champion in Japan and was quite successful as a headliner IIRC. Rey wasn't. Both spent large amounts of time in mid card so it's not like there was a glaring separation of consistency between the two.

My head says go with Dr. Death because Mysterio, while popular due to his marketability, was never consistently pushed as a major headliner. Dr. Death was. Even if he lost he was still presented as a challenge for the heavyweight champion of whatever promotion he worked for.

So I'll give my vote to Steve Williams.

I know Williams was big in Japan and things transpired against him in the US, but Rey Mysterio is arguably the best little man in the history of wrestling. Entertaining, charismatic and popular, he won several matches and titles he had no right to because the crowd bought into him so much. Nothing wrong with Williams, but Mysterio is better.

Dr Death is one tough bastard, we all know that. He was a major star and well respected wherever he went, but he wasn't a pioneer in wrestling. Rey Mysterio was, he was one of the guys that brought the high-flying lucha libre style to the US, and achieved unbelievable success with it. He's won everything there is to win.

He's had success throughout his career beating men far bigger himself and has been outweighed in 99% of matches he's ever had. Yet he still came out on top so many times, and I see no reason why he couldn't do it again here.

He'd counter the Dr Bomb into some crazy frankensteiner pinning combo, and take the victory here, leaving Williams pissed off in the ring.

Rey takes this, Williams while a great athlete just didn't cut the mustard in pro wrestling. Rey went onto headline and win the big belt at Mania. That counts for a fucking lot for a man of his circumstance (ye I know Eddie played the biggest assist there)

Rey takes this, Williams while a great athlete just didn't cut the mustard in pro wrestling. Rey went onto headline and win the big belt at Mania. That counts for a fucking lot for a man of his circumstance (ye I know Eddie played the biggest assist there)

Please explain how a guy who was the headlining attraction in the UWF, a major attraction in All Japan, a consistent top attraction in JCP/NWA, a consistent top attraction in Mid-South, a guy Vince McMahon wanted to use as a major challenger for the biggest star he'd had in a decade (Stone Cold), and a member of the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame... just didn't cut the mustard in pro wrestling?

Not taking anything away from Rey, but please don't take anything away from Doc either. The guy had a great career. He just didn't have the traditional North American career (spending all his time in either WWE or WCW). Either company would have loved it if he gave them that option though.

Doc wins this. Rey's whole gimmick may have been slaying giants, but lets not forget that quite a few times, those giants got him too. That's what Doc would do here.

Please explain how a guy who was the headlining attraction in the UWF, a major attraction in All Japan, a consistent top attraction in JCP/NWA, a consistent top attraction in Mid-South, a guy Vince McMahon wanted to use as a major challenger for the biggest star he'd had in a decade (Stone Cold), and a member of the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame... just didn't cut the mustard in pro wrestling?

Not taking anything away from Rey, but please don't take anything away from Doc either. The guy had a great career. He just didn't have the traditional North American career (spending all his time in either WWE or WCW). Either company would have loved it if he gave them that option though.

Doc wins this. Rey's whole gimmick may have been slaying giants, but lets not forget that quite a few times, those giants got him too. That's what Doc would do here.

I know all about Doc, do you wanna hear what Rey has done so far:

Asistencia Asesoría y Administración
Mexican National Trios Championship (1 time) – with Octagón and Super Muñeco
Mexican National Welterweight Championship (1 time)
AAA Hall of Fame (Class of 2007)

Hollywood Heavyweight Wrestling
HHW Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

International Wrestling All-Stars
IWAS Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Konnan

International Wrestling Council
IWC World Middleweight Championship (2 times)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI ranked him No. 4 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1999[2000]
PWI ranked him No. 56 in the PWI Years in 2003
Tijuana, Mexico
Tijuana Hall of Fame (Class of 2006)
World Championship Wrestling
WCW Cruiserweight Championship (5 times)
WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Billy Kidman
WCW World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Billy Kidman (1), Konnan (1), and Juventud Guerrera (1)
WCW Magazine Match of the Year (1997) vs. Eddie Guerrero, for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship, WCW Halloween Havoc, October 26
World Wrestling Association
WWA Lightweight Championship (3 times)
WWA Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Rey Misterio
WWA Welterweight Championship (3 times)

World Wrestling Council
WWC World Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
World Wrestling Entertainment/WWE
World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WWE Championship (1 time)
WWE Cruiserweight Championship (3 times)
WWE Intercontinental Championship (2 times)[207]
WWE Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Edge (1), Rob Van Dam (1), Eddie Guerrero (1), and Batista (1)
Royal Rumble (2006)
2010 Bragging Rights Trophy - as a member of Team SmackDown (with Big Show, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger. Edge, Tyler Reks, and Kofi Kingston)

Twenty First Triple Crown Champion

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
5 Star Match (1996) vs Juventud Guerrera in a 2 Out Of 3 Falls match at ECW Big Ass Extreme Bash – Night 2, March 9
Best Flying Wrestler (1995–1997, 2002–2004)
Best Wrestling Maneuver (1995) West Coast Pop
Match of the Year (2002) with Edge vs. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle, for the WWE Tag Team Championship, WWE No Mercy, October 20
Most Outstanding Wrestler (1996)
Rookie of the Year (1992)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2010)

Wiki just gave me knowledge about a few more titles that man has had here. Nice. Steve Williams got his chance in WWF in a ridiculous shoot fight tourney, was supposed to win, but got knocked the fuck out by Bart Gun. He was a heavy in UWF and why the fuck do you think he was a top attraction Mid-South? He teamed with Dibiasie and had a brief feud with Eddie Gilbert & Nitemare.

Also Bill Watts thought the world of him coz he was legit tough but he was nothing more than someone who looked like a football player and an ex-football player liked his look. He didn't draw shit for UWF.

I know all about Doc, do you wanna hear what Rey has done so far:

Wiki just gave me knowledge about a few more titles that man has had here. Nice. Steve Williams got his chance in WWF in a ridiculous shoot fight tourney, was supposed to win, but got knocked the fuck out by Bart Gun. He was a heavy in UWF and why the fuck do you think he was a top attraction Mid-South? He teamed with Dibiasie and had a brief feud with Eddie Gilbert & Nitemare.

Also Bill Watts thought the world of him coz he was legit tough but he was nothing more than someone who looked like a football player and an ex-football player liked his look. He didn't draw shit for UWF.

If you can say someone like Steve Williams 'couldn't cut the mustard' in pro wrestling... I don't think you do know about Doc.

Honestly. If you're even going to bring up a 'ridiculous shoot fight tourney'... which has literally nothing to do with anything, as a justification? I don't know dude.

He didn't 'draw' in UWF? Wrong. The UWF was doing their best when Doc was champ. He was only a top attraction in Mid-South because he teamed with Dibiase? Wrong. He was a top attraction because he was over with that crowd.

And your reasoning why Watt's liked him, compared to what he really was? Watt's liked tough guys with legit athletic backgrounds... which Doc was. He also liked money, and he wasn't going to put his company on someones shoulders if he wasn't convinced that guy could make money for him.

Seriously... you don't seem to know a damn thing about the guy.

If you can say someone like Steve Williams 'couldn't cut the mustard' in pro wrestling... I don't think you do know about Doc.

Honestly. If you're even going to bring up a 'ridiculous shoot fight tourney'... which has literally nothing to do with anything, as a justification? I don't know dude.

He didn't 'draw' in UWF? Wrong. The UWF was doing their best when Doc was champ. He was only a top attraction in Mid-South because he teamed with Dibiase? Wrong. He was a top attraction because he was over with that crowd.

And your reasoning why Watt's liked him, compared to what he really was? Watt's liked tough guys with legit athletic backgrounds... which Doc was. He also liked money, and he wasn't going to put his company on someones shoulders if he wasn't convinced that guy could make money for him.

Seriously... you don't seem to know a damn thing about the guy.

Enlighten me, because nowhere in the DVD or any where online can I find any credible links to how Doc was this great draw.

Doc is a very good wrestler, made a lot of money in Japan, and I LOVE watching a lot of his Japanese matches.

Rey on the other hand is quite probably the most important "small man" in wrestling history. His impact will be felt forever. I sincerely feel we'll never see someone his size reach his level of success again, but if we do, it'll feel more realistic because Rey did it first.

Doc's most memorable moment is getting knocked the fuck out against Bart Gunn.

Rey's most memorable moment is winning a world title at Wrestlemania.

Vote Rey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back