Who Wins This Matchup?

• Diamond Dallas Page

• Magnum TA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Minneapolis Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under standard wrestling rules. It will be held at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

target_center1.gif

478109-diamond_dallas_page_large_903.jpg

#11. Diamond Dallas Page

Vs.

magnum-ta.jpg

#22. Magnum TA

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I think DDP is seeded too high here and even though I had him several spots ahead of Magnum I'm leaning toward Magnum TA here. I really don't want to vote on what could have been but it's hard for me to ignore that Magnum was being groomed to be NWA champion and likely enter a big program with Ric Flair. I wonder how successful Sting would have been if Magnum never had his accident (that sounds like a good thread for old school in the near future). So I probably shouldn't assume things and vote on what could have been. The fact is Magnum never did live up to his potential even though it wasn't his fault. I think he was similar in terms of success to DDP. I know DDP did win the world title but his three reigns combined for 29 days when WCW was a hot mess. I'm undecided right now so feel free to convince me either way.

IT's not possible to talk about Magnum TA without someone saying 'what if'. The fact of the matter is, we can only vote on what happened. DDP achieved a lot more than Magnum TA did in a much smaller space of time and a much more congested field. What happened to Magnum is awful, but fundamentally, that means that when you look back at his career, it is less impressive.

Think of it like this. Say Austin's career was ended by Owen Hart in 1997. It was clear that he was going to be a big star, but he had no victories against major names at that point, and it's likely that had he been thrown in at the deep end at that very point, he wouldn't have been booked to win. Magnum wasn't yet at the point where he was booked to beat Flair, even if that's what would have happened, so we have to treat that as his peak, and at that point, I don't think he'd beat DDP.

I really like Magnum & wish we got to see more from him, but unfortunately the length of his career hurts him here. For all we know he could have been a huge factor in the coming years of NWA or WCW. The problem is that we just dont know.

I have to go with what I do know & DDP has done pretty good for himself. Besides in-ring legacy, he is a great guy who has done plenty for other wrestlers- especially Hall & Jake the past few years. His title runs may have been short, but they were good. I remember watching Nitro & waiting to see how he was going to hit the Diamond Cutter each week. He was a big part of what was good in WCW & for all that I have to give him the win here.

Even though Magnum was being groomed to be a top guy, I have to go with what was and not what could have been. DDP worked very hard to get where he was and held the WCW title. It was bad times for WCW, but he held the title none the less. His resumes is pretty impressive considering how late he started his career. DDP edges out Magnum TA for the win.

This vote is simply because I don't like DDP as a wrestler. He got to where he was because he played politics and pimped his wife to Bischoff. Now he does yoga.

Magnum TA was a man's man, and even though his potential was greater than what he actually did, what he did was better than what DDP did in his career. Magnum beat Tully Blanchard for the US Title in an I Quit match, Magnum also held his own with Ric Flair during a time where doing so was a MAJOR accomplishment. Not many folks got one over on Flair, but Magnum did.

If only he didn't wreck his Porsche and nearly die, we would have seen what might have been. Instead, I have to vote Magnum out of spite.

DDP beat Jimmy King for the title in a match that, according to a fan in the stands was "not even a pay per view!" Sure, Titus Sinclaire helped, and Jimmy King won it back in an epic triple cage match.

He can also touch his calves as he bends over. No, I ain't crappin' you, I saw it on Shark Tank.

Magnum might have gone on to be the greatest wrestler ever. Great look, supreme talent all around, a real five tool player. But pressure also could have gotten to him and he could have folded like a cheap tortilla.(I doubt it sincerely, but you just can't know.)

I gotta go with DDP, because I voted against Hall and Jake, and because Ready to Rumble is the best documentary of all time.

I'm going to have to go for DDP here, but the choice could have been totally different had Magnum's career not been taken away so quickly and so suddenly in that car accident.

It's just a case of "What If?" for Magnum. He could have gone on to be the next mega-star of the NWA and could have been one of the top seeds here, but he may have flopped on top, we will never know and that is quite simply why I cannot give him the vote here because of "what he may have become".

As another poster mentioned, if Austin's career had been ended by the Owen Hart piledriver, when it was clear he was being groomed for a top spot he would have been another "what if?" story, and wouldn't get through this tournament because we would all only be guessing what he could have achieved.

As for Page, while he did politic backstage in WCW, he stepped into the ring and a very late age and managed to make it to the top in WCW, becoming hugely popular with fans and winning the World Title. His Diamond Cutter finisher could be hit from almost anywhere. Plus I have alot of respect for DDP because of what he has done for others outside the ring with his DDP Yoga.

So he has my vote here, for what he HAS done...not what he may have done without a career ending accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back