KHL Team Killed In Plane Crash

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
Surprised that there isn't a thread on this already. I get that it's a Russian team and hockey, but still. Here is the link.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/6939064/russian-jet-carrying-lokomotiv-khl-crashes-43-dead

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl was the team, and they were on their way to play their first game of the season. Their old private jet was a former Soviet jet, likely from the '80s, and not the safest mode of transportation around. The list of names of players, coaches, and crew that were announced dead is in the article. Two people on the plane, one passenger and one crew member survived but are in critical condition. Basically an entire team is now gone.

This is as fucked up as it gets, and hits hockey hard during a time that hockey news isn't about the sport, but about tragedy. Over the past few months there was news of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak all dying. It's terrible. All of the deaths today hits the sport hard, as everyone in the NHL and the minors all know each other in some way, shape, or form. Thoughts go out to the families of the victims, and I really hope that this is the end of the tragedy that has plagued hockey this summer. You don't want to hear about players committing suicide, dying from a mix of alcohol and oxycodone, or a fucking plane crash. The NHL doesn't need anymore stuff like this, that's for damn sure.

Yeah, I read about this on yahoo last night and just thought how screwed up it was. I was about half way through the article and couldn’t finish it. It is a sad thing to read about whether they are Russian or not. Hockey has had a rough year so far and this just makes it so much worse. It is a sad event and a tragedy to the families and fans of these guys. I wish all the fallen families the best and I hope the NHL players realize hockey needs no more deaths this year.

I was quite shocked when I heard about this last night and is an unbelievably tragedy any way you look at it.

On top of that there were a few well known former NHLer's on that flight who died like Pavol Demitra and 3 stanley cup champions, this is about as real as it gets. Not only that the fact that an entire Pro Hockey team died at the same time is insane, its just something that doesn't happen and is just unbelievably sad overall. My condolences to the families and friends of all the players as well as their colleagues who knew these guys over the years.

All I have to say is RIP to every player on Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.

Definitely a tragic accident and a sad day for hockey around the world. Pavol Demitra being one of the players who passed was already mentioned, Ruslan Salei is another NHLer who died in the crash. He played for the Red Wings this last season and while he wasn't anything special he was still a decent enough player. This goes beyond the NHL, beyond Russian hockey, and honestly it goes beyond the sport of hockey itself in terms of sadness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back