*MERGED* The [Official] Kofi Kingston Thread

Thomasrko

Dark Match Winner
Moderator's Comments:

Welcome to the [OFFICIAL] and *MERGED* Kofi Kingston Thread.

Think Kofi is underutilized? Post here.
Think he needs a title shot? Post here.
Think he's not getting a title shot because of his skin color? Post here.

Please refrain from creating any other threads on Kofi Kingston and try to keep them all in here. Failure to do so will result in warnings/infractions for duplicate topics.

Thank you!​

I'm sure all of you recall when Kofi Kingston was fueding with Randy Orton he had all the energy in the world. He wasn't afraid of Orton, he took it to him.
When he finally he faced him in a match, what happened...... he lost. Then he faced him a few more times what happens...... he loses some more. He lost coffendince then every once in while he teams with people like Evan Bourne (not that he's not good, he's good but loses a lot)and they lose. Now when Kofi comes out he gets no pop, he's always happy. He needs a new image, maybe turning heel, but it most likely wouldn't work. I don't know what WWE could do with him, but he needs a new image. Give me you'r thougts what WWE could do with Kofi.

Rko 4 Life:worship:

IMO a heel turn wouldnt really do all that much good to Kofi. He is WAY over with the fans and IMO has a good thing going with his current gimmick.
I would have to say the blame lies with the "creative team" because they CAN have him go "over" and win, but he is booked to job, and I have no idea why, maybe he pissed someone off he shouldn't have, but he deffinatley needs to be in the title hunt. Tho, ppl will say that his "moveset" dosent quite match that of a world champion, but it has been done before.
Kofi has the look, he has the charisma and he has the ability, but he MUST practice his "stick work" because without a GOOD stick handeling game, you might just find youself stuck in the mid_card. :)

At the moment, changing Kofi's alignment would be a very big mistake on the part of WWE.

By doing this, you are taking away any momentum that he has left. Case in point is the Big Shwo during his WWE years. He has been flip-flopping around constantly and not being allowed to settle into any sort of rhythm in his current alignment. Sometimes you just have to back the person and trust that they will get it right eventually. Kofi is one of the people who is going through a push from the WWE and they just need to keep on going the way they are going. Sure, he is getting beat some of the time but would you be surprised if he beat Randy Orton on any given Monday? 3 months ago, I would have been but now, it is not uncommon for him to pull out these victories.

The WWE know what they are doing and I think that they have slowly built up Kofi in a calm and controlled manner. He now seems as though he could compete with main even talent even though there is no room in that scene for him at the moment.

Kofi's got a good thing going, but I am disappointed they have slowed his push. He is a talent in the ring and his mic skills are improving. I hope they keep him they way he is and get him in another top tier feud. Maybe he should be traded to Smackdown during the draft. He could feud against CM Punk which I think would be fun and I know he and Jericho would be fun to watch. I just think he doesn't have anyone good to feud with at the moment to make him go to the next level.

Ya know, I just don't get it. I also think that Kofi Kingston has what it takes to be in the main event picture, major title holder even. What I don't get is that when new faces are brought in and shot straight to the top (I.E. - Sheamus)...people bitch and whine it happened too fast. When they get a guy they feel confident in, and slowly build him to the main event (which is something I personally feel there needs to be more of)...people bitch again. Not everybody is going to be happy no matter what the WWE does, but I for one, enjoy the slower build. I think it means more to the character when he (or she) has to fight and claw for title shots, rather than be named Drew "The Choice" McIntyre.

I don't know what show you're watching, but Kofi is still over with the RAW audience. I'll grant you the fact that he's not as over now as he was when feuding with Orton, but one should take into account who his rival was at the time. He was doing battle with Randy Orton, the biggest baddie in the WWE. It only makes sense that the audience will back him more when he's fighting a real opponent. I mean look at it this way. Is the audience going to cheer for The Undertaker more when he's fighting Batista or when he's squashing Charlie Haas?

I hate how everyone's answer for getting a guy more over is a heel turn. I'm sure this has worked plenty of times, but I can't think of it working for anyone recently. The person it has worked best for is Santino, and all he does is comedy bits with the guest host and act silly in the ring.

Furthermore, while Kofi's happy-go-lucky Jamaican thing isn't working for him, there's no reason to turn him into an angry black dude type heel. His whole "street justice" thing he did with Orton was good because while we saw a different side of Kofi, we knew underneath all his anger there was still the happy guy who would hit the boom boom boom to pump up the crowd.

My final point is, while he hasn't really ridden the wave of momentum that we thought he would after the Orton feud, this doesn't mean it doesn't count for something. The energy he had during this feud can easily be rekindled by a series of promos replaying some of Kofi's career highlights, and it can end with his Orton feud, arguably the highest point of his career thus far.

I'm still a big Kofi mark, but I don't know if I could stay behind a heel Kofi.

Kofi Kingston doesnt necessarily need a makeover, but he should be drafted to smackdown later this april and feud with drew mcyntire. These 2 could have some great matches together if the feud was done right. Also, these 2 are the only "over superstars" that dont really have a match or feud leading into wrestlemania which is interesting to me.

Kofi is still pretty over with the fans, although I do agree with you that he needs to makeover his character, but only partially. I was loving the changes he made when he went against Orton, and I think he needs that kind of in your face intensity to carry over into his future feuds. The thing that I would change most about him at this point would be his entrance music. I just don't buy the Jamaican music anymore when he is hailing from Africa and speaks like an American. Give him some cool music that matches his current character, and I think you have a main eventer waiting to happen.

Kofi is still pretty over with the fans, turning him heel at this point would probably only hurt him. I might be wrong, but I'm hoping things are about to pick up for Kingston. There's once spot open in the MITB match and I have a feeling that it'll go to Kingston. If that's how it turns out, I expect him to have a pretty good performance. I think it'd be great if he wound up winning the thing.

HBK and Triple H are both going to be taking time off soon and this does leave an opening for some of the younger talent on Raw to have a more prominent spot. Triple H's quads are giving him problems and Stephanie is preggers again and due to pop sometime in July I believe. HBK is basically just taking time off to rest up and spend time with his family exactly as he did after WM last year. With two big names being gone from Raw, I think the role of young guys like Kofi is going to be more substantial.

I hate how everyone's answer for getting a guy more over is a heel turn.

Just what I was thinking, a heel turn isn't always what the WWE needs to get a person over into the main event and make him fresh and everything.
It's been done plenty of times that they moved a guy all the way staying with the same type of allignment even thou his characteristic moves might've been different.
A perfect example being Triple H actually, he was a heelish type as the Blueblood guy, he was a comedy heel in D-Generation X, and ultimately when he was elevated to a real main eventer, he was still a heel alongside Stephanie

And that example just shows that it can be done, besides Kofi Kingston hasn't exactly been in the WWE business for years, I believe he was exposed to the WWE audience in 2007 on ECW, and he's been doing great ever since.
Besides, I believe someone above me mentioned this, but a turn of allignment can prove devastating for his character, such as MVP, he was a good heel, but he sure as hell aint doing anything memorable as a face, rather than keeping Mark Henry on the show, which isn't exactly anything to brag about.

I'm getting pretty bored reading threads about superstars needing something else to get them over or they aren't getting pushed properly, I gave this one the benefit of the doubt and whilst the poster did put his opinion across articulately and made some good points, it's really the same old argument. So let me give the same old answer; have patience. There's no way in hell wwe don't see kofi as a very valuable asset, both in the ring and commercially. It will take a lot for the wwe to drop the ball with this guy, or kofi himself would have to fuck up in someway for him not to be successful in this business. Anything good in this business has happened over a longer period of time. Yeah there are a few impact moments but the best characters have been built for the long term so just be patient and enjoy watching kofi's character slowly take shape.

As for a heel turn, when the crowd start booing the all-smiling face (a-la the rock) then do you consider a heel turn but even then, merchandise seems to be a contributing factor these days. Heel turns will happen a lot less these days because heroes and villains have to be created for the younger audience, it's a little confusing if your favourite guy turns around and hits your second favourite guy with a chair when your just a 8 yr old kid.

No, he doesn't. Kofi is fine where he is with his current character. He'll be in the MitB match at Mania, and he might win. If he doesn't, it could go to Christian, Shelton, or Matt. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but Kofi will definitely be in the match. As for his character, what is his character. A happy black guy? He really doesn't have a gimmick. But does he need one? Not really. What's Triple H's gimmick? He doesn't really have one. Kofi is fine where he is, and he should stay face.

It doesn't look like he's gonna be in the Money in the Bank match now, considering that they already have the 8 guys:

Kane (just there to direct traffic)
Fatt Hardy
MVP
Jack Swagger
Evan Bourne
Christian
Shelton Benjamin
Dolph Ziggler

Why Kofi isn't in this match is baffling. He's spot right now in the company is practically tailor-made for him to win it. I can understand Kane being in it, simply because he's a veteran and can direct traffic, for lack of a better term, since MitB can easily become a clusterfuck at times. MVP should be in a singles match against Miz for the US Title... their little mini-feud was never given the proper legs for whatever reason, and they could put on a damn good match at 'Mania.

As for Kofi? Are we beginning to witness a de-push? Unless they pull something out of their ass, they really don't have anything for him at 'Mania.

I'm gonna say it now.

KOFI IS DONE.

I don't know why but it just seems his push is over. He is going in no directions. He's gradually went down on the card. And as you mentioned. Isn't getting the pops he once got. And with WWE juggling a clusterfuck of feuds I don't see how things are gonna work out for Kofi. It's a shame but sometimes Vinnie Mac does not capitolize on opportuinities.

All they need to do is piss him off.Remember when he wreck Randy's car?Kofi was pissed and gave the best promo of his career.Have a Good heal come and mess with him for weeks until he snaps.He would still be his old self but with a attitude and short temper.Maybe a move to smackdown were he would Beat all the Mid-Carders on the show proving his worth to the world and more importantly him self.A move back to Raw,a good feud or two and maybe we have a new world Champion.

Kofi oozes with potential, and I think that they missed his true potential late last year. Whilst it was smart dropping his Jamaican side which in turn made him more serious and more of a threat, having him lose to Orton more times than he beat Orton (I remember the feud and them putting on some damn good matches but forget how many they had) was a bad idea. The attitude he displayed at Bragging Rights and after when he poured paint on Orton's car was the right thing to do, that's the side of Kingston we need to see more. For almost two years he's been on our screens, won IC, US and Tag Team Gold, hes way over with the fans and has one hell of a future. A music change, maybes an attire change like tights, or them baggy tear off pants he usually wears to the ring might be good, and some more promo time. MITB PPV is coming up, don't know the full details just yet but if it is what we think it is, then it'll be exactly what Kingston needs, make him more serious in the coming months. Put him in one last feud before pulling the trigger to show us that they truly are going to give him the ball to run with.

Son of a Bitch !!!!!!! If I didn't know better I would have to say that most of you are related to chicken little because anytime someone you like isn't being shot to the moon, suddenly the sky is falling. Calm the fuck down folks! It will be ok! If not seek therapy. Seriously, Kofi Kingston is fine. Nothing is wrong, they aren't de-pushing him, he's not finished, this is not the end.

Have most of you forgot what time of year it is??? It's Wrestlemania time. Right now they have to focus on Wrestlemania and build the feuds going into them. That means that since Kofi isn't really involved in Wrestlemania at the moment, there will be less emphasis on his character. This-is-common-sense. Did most of you also forget that Kofi WAS just in a really good feud with Randy Orton not long ago that kind of cemented him into the top tier for the oncoming WWE year? Just wait, over the course of this next WWE year(the time from after this WM to the next) you will more than likely be seeing Kofi a lot more, and at the level he has earned. I think John Morrison might be scheduled for the same kind of treatment as well.

Here's something else that really gets on my nerves that a few of you have mentioned as well. Why for God sake does it seem, that anytime a superstar(usually mid carder) isn't getting a ton of t.v. time, or isn't feuding for a title, or people think they are flopping, is the answer always a fucking heel turn???!!!! Do you get it? I sure as fuck don't!!! Why do you people seem to think that is the answer to every superstars woes? I can almost guarantee that if they did a heel turn with Kofi it would be shitty as all hell. Why? Because-it-is-not-necessary.

He has been built as a face his whole tenure thus far, and has got over with the crowd as a face thus far. Obviously that is what they want to do with him, and what he has had success with, so why would you think a heel turn would do anything for him besides crush the momentum he built as a face? What about his character would even make you think he would be a good heel? So far from what I can tell he is a natural face, why would you want to ruin that? My guess is you just don't know any better, and have grossly misinterpreted the situation. Still, I can not excuse this constant outcry for heel turns with the best faces in the business. From what I can tell, if the booking was up to the IWC everybody would be fucking heel!!! What is this fascination with turning people heel all about ??? Damn it is infuriating.

Let this guy ride it out for a while, wait until after Wrestlemania, see as a few months go by what they are or are not doing with him, and then maybe make the call. This just seems very premature for people to be talking Gloom and Doom for Kofi. He is clearly a fan favorite, he has been pushed up to the upper mid card or lower main event status, and seems to be developing very well. Damn the impatience of the IWC !!!!

I don't think that Kofi needs to change.Kofi isn't as over as he was in the early parts of the year and late last year.Since Kofi really didn't get a "win" over Orton is was like build up,build up,build up sorry but up go down!Kofi shoud have got a win, it has been said a thousand times the writing staff should think out these things.So no changing him would take away the last bit of over-ness he has.

I guess I have have two ways of looking at Kofi. If he wants to be a main eventer, he needs some BIG changes. If they are planning on keeping him in the mid card, he's fine the way he is.

If they want him to main event, and if you were to ask my opinion on how that could happen, I would say he needs some big time changes. First of all, he needs to drop ANYTHING pointing at him being "Jamaican." He isn't Jamaican. They have already said that, and it's a pretty well known fact. Yet everything, besides his accent, still points to that. All of that needs to go. New music. New video. New tights.

He also needs to adopt a more realistic character. He doesn't need another "gimmick." He needs to be himself, but bigger. I like him as a face, and his wrestling style is that of a face. His style in the ring WOULD NOT work as a heel. It wouldn't, end of story.

But I think he needs to work on his in-ring abilities. I know he is super athletic. He hits a sweet looking drop kick. He hits his double leg drop (which is another part of his "gimmick" that needs to go). His current wrestling style is fine... if he only wants to put on ten or less minute matches. He needs to develop a bigger moveset, something that goes well with his size. He doesn't have many moves, not nearly enough to justify a WWE/WHC title reign. He needs to be repackaged all around, and improve in the ring. Hitting a few big spots in a ten minute match doesn't scream World Champion at anyone, it just doesn't.

But, if he likes the mid card, and if that is where creative wants to keep him, fine. In that case, he is perfect the way he is. But for a big main event push, he needs some drastic changes. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think that Kofi needs to change.Kofi isn't as over as he was in the early parts of the year and late last year.Since Kofi really didn't get a "win" over Orton is was like build up,build up,build up sorry but up go down!Kofi shoud have got a win, it has been said a thousand times the writing staff should think out these things.So no changing him would take away the last bit of over-ness he has.

Why should Orton put this guy over? Orton is the best in the business right now, and Kofi is nowhere NEAR his level. Orton never seemed happy working with Kofi, and I think a lot of that has to do with Kofi's inability to work a solid match that goes past the ten minute mark. Look at his matches, hit up youtube. Anything past ten minutes, he either just gets pounded on or repeats some moves used earlier.

I like Kofi, and I hope he does well, but Orton is only 29 years old. He has an ENTIRE career ahead of him. There is no reason he should be putting over guys who are less talented than himself, at this point in his career. At this point in his career, he absolutely has the right to be selfish and self-serving. Ten years from now, yes, then he should do so, even with less talented individuals. As I said before, he is only 29. He needs to maintain dominance, and shouldn't put someone over just to put someone over. Orton needs to destroy everyone in his path, including Kofi. Kofi just started his career. It is a lot less devestating for Kofi to lose to Orton, as opposed to Orton losing to Kofi.

Then why did they have the feud?Everyone knew Kofi wasn't on the same level as Orton and thats why they made Kofi go nuts and everything.If Orton never ever put over someone then why would I watch Raw?So at Mania if Orton vs Ted then cause Ted isn't on ortons level Randy will win right.So why on earth would I buy Mania?When he versed Sheamus, if using your way of thinking then Orton should be Champ right.Kofi has a character and I think should have got a win.He's high flying and is entertaining and has a great character that gets the crowd on their feet(not as much as he did before).

Alternate topic title: Where in the World is Kofi Kingston?

Seriously-three months ago he was one of the hottest items on Raw. He was tearing down the house with Orton, cutting fantastic promos, and stepping up, and taking the reigns of Raw's faces, while DX was mired in a Jerishow feud and Cena was chasing Sheamus to get the title back. Kofi was the IT guy. And we, the IWC, were all so very sure that he would win this year's Money in the bank match.

Fast forward just a few short months. Kofi Kingston is barely on Raw. Last week he jobbed to Batista-something Bourne does weekly to Sheamus...but at least Bourne is in MITB. Kofi hasn't had a meaningful impact in weeks. Maybe even MONTHS. It's a travesty. And the sad part is-he is still pretty over.

What do you see for Kofi this year at Mania? Off the card? Winner of the DVD battle Royal (Do they still do that?)? Dark Match? Or will he make it in as a tenth entrant into the MITB? Honestly-I am thinking the latter. I just can't bring myself to believe that Kofi Kingston, Mr. Electricity, the guy who WWE pushed REAL HARD in the fall is going to be left out of Money in the Bank.

I hope he becomes entrant number 10. Kofi was one of the brightest spots in last year's MITB, and his feud with Orton was great. Kofi was becoming more and more over...and then they had him lose, again and again. I believe that Kofi's loss on Jan. 4th was a big mistake as it really cooled him down.

Even if he doesn't win, he deserves to be in the match. He was improving at an incredible rate before his push cooled down.

There is also a chance he somehow makes it into the Orton/Legacy match. We've seen Orton/Legacy several times already, and Kofi could be what's needed to make the match fresher.

I love Kofi, and call me lame but when S.O.S. hits I get all giddy and do the stupid hand things to the pyro. lol... I will assume he will be #10 in MITB, only because who else really could they put in with the group they have? I wouldn't mind them putting him in the Orton/Legacy thing, but Orton is becoming the face there and putting an established face personality in the match will only squash the Orton chants.
What I think killed his push was when he screwed up in that one match with Orton....Remember "stupid stupid stupid"? It might of scared them out of making him THE guy right now, but I honestly think that he will be there next year. Shawn will be done after Mania, and I see Kofi going to Smackdown in the draft and putting on a program with Jericho/Punk to get him even more over.

I personally think he will get into money in the bank, and thats where i want him to be. Winning it would be a huge push for him, and i think there is evidence that he could win.

Over the last few weeks he got involved with Batista, he came out to make the save during the "beatdown" of John Cena, and then he had a one on one match between him and batista. There could be something to that. if he wins he could go after the animal, using those things as his reasons for going after him. And it would really put him over if he beat Batista.

So thats where i think he'll go, mitb and then onwards and upwards to Batista, after he finishes up with Cena that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back