Next Japanese Star to make Hall of Fame

WhyTravisFelt

Pre-Show Stalwart
Let me start off this thread by saying I think it's absolutely one of the most amazing things I've seen MacMahon and the WWE do in my life by getting Antonio Inoki into the Hall of Fame. It shows an appreciation of world-wide professional wrestling in it's entirety that they seldom seem to recognize.

My question to you can be two-fold depending on your viewpoint: One, who do you think is most likely to be the next Japanese Superstar to make it into WWE's Hall of Fame? Two, who would you prefer to see be the next Japanese Superstar to make it into the Hall of Fame. I'll throw out some names for consideration starting from most likely and downwards (in my opinion)

The Great Muta- I will accept an argument on this one, but I believe Keiji Mutoh has made the most impact here in the states of all Japanese superstars. If nothing else he paved the way for the American interpretation of Japanese wrestler from Yung Dragons to Tajiri all the way to modern superstars Kiyoshi and Yoshi Tatsu. He also formed NJPW's version of NWO after his Great Muta gimmick had run it's course, which was very appropriate considering how Nash had broken from Diesel, Hall had broken from Ramon.

Rikidozan- Alright, he's technically Korean, but he essentially started Puroresu (I know, it sounds and looks Japanese, but it's really an English abbreviation for Purofesshonaru Resuringu, or Professional Wrestling) in Japan and is probably most comparable to Bruno Sammartino and Verne Gagne combined for Japan. He also trained both Antonio Inoki and my next suggestion.

Shohei "Giant" Baba- essentially Japan's equivalent to Andre the Giant. No more really needs to be said.

Those three I mentioned are probably the closest for consideration. Let's go over some longer shots.

Satoru Sayama- the original Tiger Mask grew out of a very popular comic book in Japan (Manga) and immediately became the most popular thing going. Like, Ultimo Dragon who's also on my list, Sayama started his career trained by the bery best, but inhibited by his small size in Japan, found his first real success learning Lucha Libre which made him the eventual star he would become back in Japan. Since he was the first to really bring Lucha Libre to Japan and became one of their biggest stars ever as the original Tiger Mask, puts him so high on the list that I almost put him with Baba, Rikidozan, and Muta.

Ultimo Dragon- Pretty much the same story as Sayama; after being trained by the best of the best, Gran Hamada (another of the first innovators of Japanese-style wrestling and lucha libre) and Kotetsu Yamamoto, and being considered too small for Japanese wrestling, he honed his craft in Mexico and became a world-wide phenomenon. After winning the Super J cup (eight cruiserweight titles on the line) and beating Dean Malenko for the WCW cruiserweight title, he held nine belts at the same time, something that will probably never be repeated again. He enlightened the world into a style of Japanese-Mexican-American style of wrestling that was so magnificent that it will, again, probably never be repeated again. He made wrestling look like an incomprehensible magic act.

Atsushi Onita- Knock three times on the same story; considered too small for Japanese wrestling, he went another direction altogether and invented Hardcore wrestling which led to Mick Foley's and the most memorable part of Terry Funk's careers.

Jushin Lyger- I'm sure will be on your tongues. Another great innovator who made some waves stateside.

I believe that the next Japanese wrestler to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame will have had soemthing to do with WCW. Both Keiji Muto (Great Muta) and Masahiro Chono were members of the New World Order. They were also both wrestlers that are recognized names throughout the world of professional wrestling.

By that same logic, Jushin "Thunder" Lyger could be a natural fit for next year, since his matches with Brian Pillman are regarded as the foundation of WCW's Cruiserweight division.

Honestly, I would have to have any of those three be my answer to both parts of your question.

I didn't see anywhere whe he called Antonio an embarrassment. Looked to me like he was giving WWE props for inducting him. I agree. Inoki is one of the most gifted wrestlers from Japan I have ever seen. I still remember the Bash at the Beach where WCW gave him an award also and him and William Regal almost went heads up. I was so hoping it would happen. :lmao:

As for the next Japanese wrestler to get the treatment, I am telling you it should be Jushin Thunder Liger. The man is awesome and has done so much for the industry. Everyone else mentioned has also done great things, nut Liger is just amazing and really deserves it quite a bit. My second choice would either be Muta or Ultimo Dragon for sure. It's a tie.

I was really surprised that the WWE inducted a Japanese wrestler. Most of their target audience doesn't watch Japanese wrestling and Vince McMahon never wanted to model his company after the Japanese style.

If they induct more Jananese wrestlers they should definitely induct Misawa. He was the top Japanese wrestler for many years and he had many great wrestling wars with Kawada, Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue, Kobashi, Jun Akiyama, Steve Williams, and Vader. He held numerous championships, and he started Noah. The man is a legend.

I'm throwing it out there and say a GREAT Japanese star that needs to be in the HOF is Dr. Death Steve Williams. The man is as big a draw bi-coastal, especially in Japan as the top talent in the WWE are now.

Reactions: Lee
I don't see them inducting a Japanese wrestler any time soon only due to the fact that they are virtual unknowns in North America. Inoki was head and shoulders above the rest because at his peak, he was the Hulk Hogan of Japan, and even had a dream match with the Hulkster at the Tokyo Dome I believe.

The next "Japanese" wrestler that will see induction is Yokozuna, who in fact, is Samoan/Polynesian.

Virtual unknowns in North America? I don't think so. Lots of NA wrestling fans should be well aware of The Great Muta and Ultimo Dragon. Those two stepped foot in the WCW with the previous having wrestled under both of his guises. He held titles belonging to WCW and NWA, respectively. He held the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and the AJPW Triple Crown Championship. He had memorable bouts against Sting and in 2000, his Tag Team partner at the time (Vampiro) would do the same. The man is a legend that has influenced a great slew of other wrestlers to adopt 'The Great' alter-egos or similar green mist-spewing gimmicks in general. Ultimo Dragon is a mix of both aerial and technical offence, although he is known for mostly technical. His run in the WCW alone should verify his stature in competition. Although The Great Sasuke and Jushin Lyger have both won the J-Cup, it's Ultimo Dragon that carried around those belts during his time in WCW and added onto it, making him one very decorated/colourful star. He also held the WCW Cruiserweight title and WCW Television title by beating guys like Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko and William Regal -- all that were great in-ring generals. So, I think in regards to HoF acknowledgement, these two should definitely be up on the list for their international accolades.

Got more response than I thought a puroresu thread would get, so that's nice to know. Masahiro Chono and Mitsuharu Misawa are pretty good additions to the list.

@pun2003hh- I very much agree with you on the first part, that it won't be anytime soon. Yokozuna will make it one day and probably before any of the people I listed but he doesn't really count since he only pretended to be Japanese here in America and never wrestled in Japan. I do think eventually at least Great Muta and Rikidozan will make it into the HOF and most of the other guys being listed might make it a lot further down the road...even if I'm dead before Ultimo Dragon makes it in (which would be a bummer since he's my all-time favorite wrestler)

@ MrJGoose- I guess if I'm letting in a Korean you can let in an American, but Dr. Death was pretty famous worldwide (especially here in the states) and I don't think anyone would consider him a "Japanese superstar" the way in which I could see someone calling Stan Hansen a "Japanese superstar".

It looks like I might have to do a short defense of Rikidozan so people stop posting non-Japanese people. He was adopted into a Japanese family when he was a kid and trained to be a sumo wrestler; so he did spend most of his life in Japan. After doing Sumo for a couple of years he started to wrestle professionally and became Japan's top (only) draw. He went on to make a lot of money and own lots of property, so he started Japan's first wrestling promotion, JWA. He then went on to train Inoki and Baba. So while he's technically Korean, he basically started Japanese wrestling and spent nearly his entire life there.

Mitsuharu Misawa would be my first choice. However I would like to add Bull Nakano, she did wrestle for the WWE durung the mid-nineties, she and Medusa had a good match at Summerslam 94 ( a lot better than the current Diva matches). Though I doubt she will be inducted, it would be nice for the WWE to honour her.

The problem with the WWE inducting Japanese workers into its Hall of Fame is that the name has to make the WWF/E money, either in the past or future. Guys like Misawa, Riki Choshu, Jumbo Tsuruta, etc. will never make the WWE money.

So, the next Japanese star will have had to work in the country at some point, and will have to be a known name to Americans. Which really comes down to only two men, Jushin Liger or The Great Muta. Those are probably the two most well-respected names in America, and their name would be recognizable by today's fans.

The other outside chance would be Taka Michinoku, as he was a WWF champion, and has been a champion all across Japan. He would be a known name, and the WWE could still profit off of him.

Funaki in the Koko B Ware position... After all he was number one Smackdown Announcer, Kung Fu Naki, Part of Kaientai and a major part of the roster for many years... Other guys you might get in there would be Akio Sato (Of Orient Express and Shinja fame) and Jinsei Shinzaki or Hakushi as he was known in WWE...

From the WCW perspective, you could also add Kensukie Sasake and Fujinami (who held some WWE titles too...)

i believe someone already said it but i'll say mitsuharu masawa. one of the biggest legends in japan, 5 ajpw time triple crown heavy weight champion, 3 time ghc heavy weight champion, founded pro wrestling noah, has too many great feuds to count, 3 time wrestling observer wrestler of the year, 24 five star matches, created one of the best finishers ever Emerald Flowsion, plus given his in-ring death last year they could use this as a lesson for safety in wrestling, his death was a tragedy but some good is coming out of it as japanese wrestling is now introducing new safety precautions. the only word that can describe him is LEGEND. r.i.p. misawa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back