Next WWE Hall of Fame Inductee

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...boss-man-to-be-inducted-into-wwe-hall-of-fame

According to CBS sports, Big Boss Man is the next inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Most of my memories of Boss Man were with his time as The Corporation's enforcer, including some awful feuds with Big Show and Al Snow. I do have some positive memories of him from my granddad's old tapes. For a big man he was always going full speed. It was not uncommon to see him drenched in sweat fifteen minutes into a match and still giving his all.

It will be interesting to see who will posthumously induct him.

Share your thoughts and memories of Boss Man here.

WWE announced a little while ago that the latest inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame will be the Big Boss Man. While never one of the upper tier talents at any point in his career, Boss Man was a fixture in the mid-card and tag team pictures in Jim Crockett Promotions, the WWF, WCW and All Japan Pro Wrestling from the beginning of his career in the mid 80s until his death in 2004.

I remember him from his earliest days working as Jim Cornette's enforcer Big Bubba Rogers in the Mid-Atlantic and UWF territories during the mid 80s before popping up in the WWF in mid 1988 as a former "corrections officer" from Cobb County, Georgia who frequently made use of handcuffs and a nightstick. At various points, he feuded with a lot of the top guys of the day at various times including Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, the Rockers, Demolition, Ravishing Rick Rude, Big Van Vader, Big Show Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Undertaker, etc.

As far as accomplishments go, there's not really a whole helluva lot to talk about. He held the UWF Heavyweight Champion for about 3 months back in 1987, had 4 runs as the WWF Hardcore Champion ranging from November 1998 to September 1999 and a run with Ken Shamrock as one half of the WWF Tag Team Champions for about 6 weeks beginning in late 1998.

For the most part, the Boss Man was a high profile jobber who usually played the role of a bodyguard, enforcer or something along those lines for much of his career. As I alluded to, the guy was practically a dynasty as a mid-card wrestler during his career, never really had a big moment but had some memorable programs and some little moments scattered here and there.

Big Boss Man was fun but accomplished NOTHING in his career. He was not a draw and found mid level status at best. The WWE HOF continues to be a pathetic joke.

Big Boss Man was fun but accomplished NOTHING in his career. He was not a draw and found mid level status at best. The WWE HOF continues to be a pathetic joke.

Somebody missed about 10 years of his career before he became the corporate enforcer. Bossman was one of those names everyone knew in the early 90's, for better or worse, and dude lived his gimmick for a long time. He was in the main event match vs Hulk Hogan in the first Monday Nitro.

He was from an era where you didn't win titles left and right unless you were the face of the company.

Bossman was someone who represented the WWF, titles aren't all that matters for a man's career. He elevated a ton of people to main event status and improved a card pretty much anytime he was on it.

This was a nice a surprise to hear. My understanding was, all that's left to announce was Jaquline Moore and Regis, now we also have Boss Man added to this year's class. I grew up watching his prison guard gimmick teaming with Akeem and managed by slick, to when he turned face. I loved the feud between him and The Mountie (jacques rogeau) He brought a great in ring presence either as Bubba, Boss Man, or Ray Traylor. I'm not gonna lie I was really bummed and shocked when I heard about his passing. I'm actually looking forward to this induction. While he was just a mid carder at best, he was quite agile for a guy his size, very entertaining and helped make other performers look great. It'll be interesting to see who is gonna accept the ring and represent him. Wife/kids? Who is gonna do the inducting? Hacksaw? Dibiase? Show? Time will tell.

There are a few moments of Bossman's career that stick out for me. Hulk Hogan gives the guy a superplex off of the top rope in a cage match. The Bossman shows up at a funeral for Big Show's dad. He's got a giant megaphone on top of his car, then he ends up hauling arse with the coffin, causing Big Show to jump on it to try and stop him....

Feeding Al Snow his own dog.

He's a deserving candidate. A strong mid-card fixture for years, a good company man. Had a nice career pre-WWE as Big Bubba and had a run with the UWF title. Never a top tier guy, but had strong staying-power in the mid card.

I was glad to hear this induction I wasn't expecting it, A household hold name back in the late 80's early 90's and someone I always enjoyed watching.

Koko B. Ware is in the HOF. Big Bossman had a much greater impact on WWE programming than Koko B. Ware.

This is the only litmus test I use anymore. There is no point in arguing about the merits of any wrestler who ever gets put in the Hall when the bar was set that low.

I LOVE the fact that Ray Traylor aka Big Boss Man will take his rightful place and he inducted into the HOF. I am only saddened that we will not hear him speak about his outstanding career that spanned The NWA/JCP era, the 1980's/90's "golden era", the NWO/Attitude Era. I remember as a kid when I first got into watching pro wrestling Big Boss Man was one of the characters that stuck out.

A few highlights: His legendary feud with Hulk Hogan in 1988/89 which included the famous super plex off the top of the cage.

His face turn on the Brother Love Show where he famously turned out Ted DiBiase's request to give his Million Dollar Belt back.

TEAMING with Hogan against the team of Earthquake and Dino Bravo in 1990.

His feud with the Heenan Family culminating in his match with Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig at WM 7.

His feud with The Mountie aka Jacque Rougeau at SymerSlam '91

Teaming with LOD at Survivor Series '91

I have no problems with Ray Traylor getting inducted, he wasn't a huge main event star but he was far from being a nobody. He was a constant on WCW and WWE TV throughout the '90s. I general enjoyed his matches and was a great mid card talent. That being said though, are there guys out there that should have gone in long before Ray Traylor's name came up? Of course there is, there's dozens of names of guys that come to mind before Ray Traylor's but I don't see it as being a bad decision, I'd imagine it's WWE's way of throwing the Attitude era fans a bone.

As far as the Hall Of Fame being a farce, until there's a physical location to go and actually see I agree. There needs to be a museum to go along with it. Until that happens...I find the Hall of Fame to be akin to your favorite bands album or concert setlist. It might be a great listen but there's bound to be a few clunkers or songs on it you don't like.

Why not? Donald Trump, Pete Rose, and Drew Carey are in, so that sets the bar pretty low.

Big Boss Man isn't great or anything, but he was a good mid-carder, so he deserves it.

Come on don't be stupid, he was a guy everyone knew and was a fan favourite as well as a heel throughout his career and did both pretty well. He had some big main-event matches over his time as well as a few event saving matches where his absence would've made the whole ppv shit.
You fail to realize that for most of the Big Boss man's era they didn't just hand out world championships to anyone who won 2 matches in a row.

Big Boss Man is one of the wrestlers who ACTUALLY DESERVES to be in the hall of fame as he was a big part of the era when WWE was staking its place as THE wrestling company.
There are people in the hall of fame who don't deserve to be there but the Big Boss Man is not one of those people.

One of the classic representatives of the Hulkamania era. He wasn't great by any standard, but had solid runs as midcarder. I grew up watching him in the ring. Also his first Hasbro figure was my first figure of that WWF collection. Memories......

Thoughts on who can induct him? Jacques Rougeau would be nice in the role.

I think that the Bossman deserves it. Was always a great hand, and did his job back in the day when titles weren't passed out like they were candy.

As far as who should induct him, I can really only think of two people. Ted DiBiase, who was one of his greatest rivals and then later managed him in WCW, or my choice, the Doctor of Style, Slick.

I hadn't put any thought into who might induct him but Ted Dibiase SR. does come to mind and I think would be able to give a great genuine speech, they were involved in programs throughout both WWE and WCW and really is about the only person who isn't deceased or blackballed by WWE that's got a genuine link to Traylor.

Why not? Donald Trump, Pete Rose, and Drew Carey are in, so that sets the bar pretty low.

Big Boss Man isn't great or anything, but he was a good mid-carder, so he deserves it.

The first three you mentioned are in the celebrity wing, which means nothing. All you have to do is be famous and show up and do a show or two. No wrestling is actually required. They should just get rid of the celebrity wing and put a wrestler who deserves to be in there instead.

Big Boss Man was great, and why shouldn't he go in? Everytime they announce a name, people are up in arms. Who cares, everyone who is anyone will get in at some point in time.

The had a quality career that spanned three decades. Played a role in plenty of upper-mid card and main event storylines. He was always on your television for about thirty years. Impressive accomplishment to me. His matches were never five star but he could tell a story and was a heat magnet. Well deserved induction into a fake HOF.

I think it's impossible for anyone to be inducted without at least one Internet mark to piss and moan about it. Chris Jericho had a funny rant on Talk is Jericho about people who were heckling inductees at last years HoF ceremony. Long story short, go to Jericho's induction and voice your opinion on what a joke the HoF is, I look forward to the results ;)

Vs. Hogan in a blue barred cage is one of my favourite matches and gatecrashing a funeral is a bad taste Attitude Era highlight. I'm ecstatic about this induction.

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

Ray Traylor was always a favorite of mine, from his time as Big Bubba to being Big Bossman to being The Boss and back to being Big Bossman and eventually himself. He was a big man who could move, he could take bumps that men of his size would never be able to take.

Jim Cornette was on Stone Cold's podcast a while back and remarked on his time with Ray Traylor in JCP:

[YOUTUBE]CBZkulk_V2Q[/YOUTUBE]

For those interested, the greatest Big Bossman match I've ever seen (pardon the dubbed theme):

[YOUTUBE]O6HeaBIt0YQ[/YOUTUBE]

"You want some of me? You want some of the Big Boss Man?" Don't know why, but I always remember that quote when I think of the Big Boss Man.

I loved Ray Traylor as a competitor and I always thought he should have come a lot closer to a World title in his career than he ultimately did. He was one of the more versatile guys of the late 80s-early 90s, could play a great heel or face and always get a strong reaction from a crowd. He also seemed to have a great mind for wrestling. No matter who he was against or what he crap was given, Boss Man could usually sell a feud and sell it damn well. These are usually the little things people don't think about, but they're important nonetheless. It's a shame Traylor was never really able to transition out of the prison guard gimmick to get a real main event run but hey, he's in the HOF so what do I know.

Couldn't have said it better myself. He was HUGE during the rock n' wrestling era. He was one of my favorites growing up in the late 80's early 90's. He was a consummate on screen friend of Hogan and helped define an entire era of wrestling. For those who think he is undeserving, you just came in to the game too late. If a guy like Koko B. Ware can be in the HOF than Ray Traylor certainly deserves it.

For those that say the HOF is a joke, it's not a hall of champions, it's recognizing guys whose presence made an impact in the company. There are so few "faces of the company" that you need those mid-card guys. Do I think Barry Horowitz should ever be in the HOF....god no...but should Barry Darsow...absolutely. There are lots of guys still unrecognized from a lot of different eras who should be getting rings on their fingers. I personally love it.

I have been saying this for several years now and seeing that this thread is about Boss Man, I'll say it again.

THIS IS THE GUY THAT SHOULD HAVE RAN OVER STONE COLD

I mean come on. He ended up getting a title shot at the PPV after that and doing something like that would have fit perfectly with his straight nasty heel character at the time. He wouldn't have needed a particularly great reason to do it, other than wanting to take Austin out and take his spot. And what bothered me the most about it is that Boss Man was floundering by mid-to-late 2000. Like honestly, why the fuck did they pick Rikishi? This was a guy who did all this dancing and shit all the time and he had this group that did the same shit, the crowd loved it and THEY FUCKING DECIDE TO TAKE THAT AWAY AND REVEAL HIM AS THE HITMAN AND HAVE HIM GIVE THE REASON OF "I did it for The Rock" :banghead:

There wouldn't have been a better way to crank up momentum for Boss Man again than running over Stone Cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back