No Slammy Awards?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to a report from PWInsider.com, there are currently no plans set for a 2016 Slammy Awards special. While they could always change, the report indicates that it doesn't look like it's going to be happening. At this time last year, after the 2015 Slammy Awards, there were reports of WWE moving the awards to WrestleMania week but there's been nothing new on that situation since.

I hope that WWE has decided to do away with them because, as a whole, they're the biggest waste of 3 hours WWE television has year round. There are a few entertaining bits here & there and the show itself is actually good once in a blue moon but the quality is never consistent. It always just seemed like one of those sports entertainment bits that Vince himself enjoys and wanted to see happen because it's not as if the Slammy "Awards" actually mean anything. If they were actual awards that had merit, that were all 100% legitimately voted on by the fans and winning them could somehow be used to elevate the careers of those who win, then MAYBE it's something that'd be worth watching. The problem with that is if it was a legit awards show in which the fans genuinely had all the input & deciding power, that'd send Vince into a tailspin as he has this downright psychotic need to micromanage every little aspect of WWE.

First of all , if you think the fans don't have the power of deciding who wins those awards and that the voting isn't legitimate, just watch last year fiasco.

Having written that, I going to miss the show this year because it was one of the rare time that I was truly entertain by raw all year because of how unique the concept was,

But I get why this show got drop, it's mostly because of the brand split. You can't do a slammy awards show without having the smackdown roster on raw and it if you want to continue making the brand split special, you can't bring the smackdown roster raw.

so between the problem of the brand split and vince not being able to control the voting, they might have wll drop the show then getting eggs on their face when somebody they don't want to win a award actually wins.

Anyone think the slammy awards could be better served as a network show/special?

Its 3 hours they don't have to devote to raw/smack down

Part of the problem with the Slammy's were that you can't run a wrestling show and an awards show at the same time, it took the momentum away from both. Also add in the fact that half the winner's didn't show up to get their statues. Made it look like some of them didn't care when it might have not been the case.

I agree with the poster who said run it as a Network Special, that way those who want to watch it can. If they are legit going to allow fans to vote, then stop the voting about two weeks ahead of the show, notify the winners and make sure they are in attendance that night. Maybe Mania would be a good time because most of them will be in Orlando anyway. No need to make it a 3 hour show, an hour and a half would be plenty.

They could also bring in some former wrestlers to actually hand out the awards instead of current roster members. In other words run it like the HOF but on a smaller scale. Put some effort into it. It's kind of creepy watching someone accepting an award when they're only wearing wrestling trunks or a speedo. Seeing them all dressed up would be nicer.

According to a report from PWInsider.com, there are currently no plans set for a 2016 Slammy Awards special. While they could always change, the report indicates that it doesn't look like it's going to be happening. At this time last year, after the 2015 Slammy Awards, there were reports of WWE moving the awards to WrestleMania week but there's been nothing new on that situation since.

I hope that WWE has decided to do away with them because, as a whole, they're the biggest waste of 3 hours WWE television has year round. There are a few entertaining bits here & there and the show itself is actually good once in a blue moon but the quality is never consistent. It always just seemed like one of those sports entertainment bits that Vince himself enjoys and wanted to see happen because it's not as if the Slammy "Awards" actually mean anything. If they were actual awards that had merit, that were all 100% legitimately voted on by the fans and winning them could somehow be used to elevate the careers of those who win, then MAYBE it's something that'd be worth watching. The problem with that is if it was a legit awards show in which the fans genuinely had all the input & deciding power, that'd send Vince into a tailspin as he has this downright psychotic need to micromanage every little aspect of WWE.

I hate The Slammy Awards. WWE just need to focus on trying to get more influence at legit award shows like Teen Choice Awards and ESPY's.

Anyone think the slammy awards could be better served as a network show/special?

Its 3 hours they don't have to devote to raw/smack down

Basically this. The 3 or 4 Slammy Awards that were run in the 90s had the premise down. It was treated like a legitimate awards event; it was in a banquet hall, everyone dressed up in suits and dresses, and nobody broke kayfabe. Raw showed a 2 minute highlight clip the next night announcing the winners and some of the more memorable moments of the event, and that's all anybody needed to see.

It doesn't need to follow that format exactly, but now with the Network, WWE has a legitimate base to put on their own "legitimate" awards show. I'm actually really surprised this hasn't been done yet seeing as how WWE is always trying to copy the mainstream fads of pop culture.

I remember reading a report stating that they wanted to move the Slammys to the post-Wrestlemania season, and sell WM as the grand season finale. Which makes sense to me and hope will happen.

The Slammys jumped the shark a long time ago. It has become a ridiculously scripted, and non-believable, awards segment that is now used to push or prop up storylines. Unless they TRULY bring it back to its roots, the Slammys are better off in the dustbin of WWE history.

The Slammys jumped the shark a long time ago. It has become a ridiculously scripted, and non-believable, awards segment that is now used to push or prop up storylines. Unless they TRULY bring it back to its roots, the Slammys are better off in the dustbin of WWE history.
This.

The Slammy Awards had no credibility whatsoever. They don't mean much for the wrestlers. We have seen multiple times that the award winner isn't even present at that evemt itself which is dumb. Atleast, get the award winner on the show. I'm glad that they're gone for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back