NXT Championships at Night of Champions?

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
So, Night of Champions used to be a big deal. Before they began unifying the titles this PPV brand would see entire shows that were ALL title matches. It wasn't until 2010 when we finally began enduring idiotic non-title filler at Night of Champions, and that has come back as a problem each year. NXT is growing in popularity. So, my solution is to add title matches to Night of Champions for each NXT title alongside the already scheduled main roster title matches. It would be an excellent opportunity to allow a once per year showcase for the developmental brand's champions on a main roster show, but would also make Night of Champions special again. Below is a sample card listing of how Night of Champions would look as a dual-branded Raw and NXT show where every title in the entire WWE is up for grabs. You know, the gimmick that Night of Champions is actually supposed to have.

1. WWE World Heavyweight Championship
2. WWE United States Championship
3. WWE Intercontinental Championship
4. WWE Tag Team Championship
5. WWE Divas Championship
6. NXT Championship
7. NXT Tag Team Championship
8. NXT Women's Championship

That gives us 8 matches for a full card, right there. With all of these titles being defended on the same night, it would instantly make Night of Champions back into being the big deal it was meant to be (and has not been, since 2010). It's better than being stuck with non-title filler that has NO place being on a card meant to be about CHAMPIONSHIPS. It's either that or begin having the Money In the Bank briefcases be defended at the show. The non-title filler at Night of Champions has GOT to go. Here are the discussion questions:

How do you feel about this? Would you like to see Night of Champions become a dual branded show featuring talent from both Raw and NXT? Why or why not?

Should Money In the Bank briefcases that have yet to be cash'ed in be up for grabs at Night of Champions? Why or why not?

Would you bring back old titles instead of adding the NXT titles to the card? If so, which titles would you bring back and why? Would you do something different to deal with the issue of having non-title filler? Why or why not?

Discuss! :)

Someone on the Disqus comments made the same suggestion, and I adore the idea. The filler that you point out is a mixed bag in it's exclusion, as properly developped programs such as The Wyatt's vs Shield Lite would be left out. But as you say, that's what used to make NoC special. To answer your proposed q's

How do you feel about this? Would you like to see Night of Champions become a dual branded show featuring talent from both Raw and NXT? Why or why not?

I would love to see it, but Father's (this was the autocorrect result when I typed Dagger, and I refuse to fix it) made the solid point, it's difficult to elaborate beyond that. I will add this though; thinking 5-10 years down the road, and Triple H's affinity for importing talent from other companies, I'd love to see the NJPW title one day defended on WWE TV as an imported special, much like how Paul Heyman imported matches during ECW. NXT defenses would be a hell of a stepping towards that.

Should Money In the Bank briefcases that have yet to be cash'ed in be up for grabs at Night of Champions? Why or why not?

No. The Briefcase is indeed a prize, but it's not a championship. Accuse me of indulging in semantics. You might be right in doing so, but I stand by it.

Would you bring back old titles instead of adding the NXT titles to the card? If so, which titles would you bring back and why? Would you do something different to deal with the issue of having non-title filler? Why or why not?

Well, what's the value in bring back a title for one night? Do you defend it every year with the same champion of last year, all the while taking the gamble that you don't lose your "champ" during the year to injury or just future endeavoring? Do you reinstate the title full time? I feel like bringing an old title for the special opens a can of worms that's not worth dealing with.

As for addressing the filler, I'd at least like to see these matches have championship implications. Number One Contendership, etc. I don't believe it requires all that much creative effort to address in a satisfactory fashion.

What's the point of NXT if they're just going to start putting them on PPV's now. No matter how big NXT got it's still developmental. They're there to develop their skills before they compete on major shows like NOC or any other PPV event. More than half these guys never competed on RAW before and you want to stick them on PPV when at least 70% of the audience has no idea who they are.

And of those 70% of people who don't know who they are, how many do you think will like what they see and possibly pony up the money for a network subscription? After the last Takeover event, I wouldn't underestimate the popularity of NXT. Though while I'm not at all opposed to the idea of their belts being defended on that PPV, it may take a little bit of the shine away from the actual Takeover events which are always used to showcase the NXT champions. Also, with NXT taping so far in advance, they'd have to work that into their taping schedule so it may just be more trouble than it's worth.

NXT is intentionally a separate brand, as HHH stated on the last Takeover. That's why it was ok to see Sasha and Owens on both events over Summerslam weekend, it was the illusion that they were working an Indy schedule for 2 separate federations.

If NXT belts are defended on WWE shows, then there is no longer any reason to have an NXT division, and just put everyone on the main roster.

MitB cases should never be able to be lost/stolen/etc. unless they aren't cashed in for the entire year. It's a reward for winning a gimmick match. If they change that dynamic, I'd rather they just drop the MitB case anyway, as it's just shitty lazy booking anyway, just like a KotR or any other tournament.

No, there are already too many titles on the WWE roster. I'd prefer it to be only WWEWHC, US/IC/Midcard Unified title, Tag Titles, Women's Title, and that be that.

On the other hand, I don't want to have to wait until December to get Bailey v. Whomever for the NXT Women's belt.

Well, here's the thing, when NOC was first initiated, the title picture was this:

WWE Championship
World Heavyweight Championship
WWE Intercontinental Championship
WWE United States Championship
WWE Tag Team Championship
World Tag Team Championship
WWE Divas Championship
WWE Women's Championship

There were 8 titles in use as part of the brand extension but there are only 5 now. I'm sorta torn on the idea as I think it has positives and negatives. The positives is that it gives fans who possibly haven't followed NXT a chance to see what some of the buzz is all about by seeing some of NXT's brightest on the same ppv with the main roster. At the same time, I like the notion of the NXT & main roster brands being kept separate as possible as NXT is a viable alternative to the more "mainstream" WWE roster. I like that it has its own feel, its on aura, its own atmosphere. Plus, I'm not confident about Vince's creative decisions regarding an NXT program.

It might be something to consider for next year, but I don't think it'll happen this time around. Part of the charm of NXT is that there's so much time that's used to build their feuds before delivering big payoffs at the Takeover events. Having 4 months in between these big ppv like specials to build programs is something of an advantage to NXT that the main roster doesn't have. For instance, having access to all WWE ppvs for $10 a month is the bread & butter of the WWE Network, so WWE can't really afford to trimming down ppvs from 12 to maybe 4 a year. As a result, there's not as much time to build things up before delivering a big payoff.

The filler that you point out is a mixed bag in it's exclusion, as properly developped programs such as The Wyatt's vs Shield Lite would be left out.

Perhaps, but it gives those storylines an extra month to develop before Hell In A Cell the following month. Non-title matches have no place on a Night of Champions card.

I would love to see it, but Father's (this was the autocorrect result when I typed Dagger, and I refuse to fix it) made the solid point

That's funny.

I'd love to see the NJPW title one day defended on WWE TV as an imported special, much like how Paul Heyman imported matches during ECW. NXT defenses would be a hell of a stepping towards that.

That's an interesting idea, but it probably would never happen. It's so rare for WWE to acknowledge other companies existence, let alone feature a title match for a belt they do not own.

No. The Briefcase is indeed a prize, but it's not a championship. Accuse me of indulging in semantics. You might be right in doing so, but I stand by it.

Dolph Ziggler defended his Money In the Bank briefcase against John Cena in a Ladder match at TLC. If they can do that on TLC then they can surely do it at Night of Champions, where such a match would make sense in the first place. Would you rather see Sheamus getting forced to defend his briefcase or see garbage like Mark Henry VS Rusev at Night of Champions?

Well, what's the value in bring back a title for one night? Do you defend it every year with the same champion of last year, all the while taking the gamble that you don't lose your "champ" during the year to injury or just future endeavoring? Do you reinstate the title full time? I feel like bringing an old title for the special opens a can of worms that's not worth dealing with.

It is not for one night as far as the aspect of bringing back titles is concerned. I see constant threads for bringing back the Cruiserweight or European Championship, there were even a couple of threads a while back on bringing back the Women's Championship to make two female titles again. This is everyone's chance to justify bringing back any of these titles full-time. Granted, I personally do not believe any title needs to be brought back, but for purposes of adding more to Night of Champions that is a reason for justifying it.

As for addressing the filler, I'd at least like to see these matches have championship implications. Number One Contendership, etc. I don't believe it requires all that much creative effort to address in a satisfactory fashion.

I wouldn't want to see 3 number one contendership matches all on the same card. I'm against having them be on PPV in the first place, but that's just me. It's better than the non-title filler I suppose though.

What's the point of NXT if they're just going to start putting them on PPV's now. No matter how big NXT got it's still developmental. They're there to develop their skills before they compete on major shows like NOC or any other PPV event. More than half these guys never competed on RAW before and you want to stick them on PPV when at least 70% of the audience has no idea who they are.

I get the point you are making here, but it would not be a full main roster promotion. It would be a chance to showcase their champions on a night that is meant to be about CHAMPIONSHIPS. Yes they are there to develop. However, it just a one night deal. The rest of the year they are still NXT wrestlers and the announcers could remind the viewer that these guys are still training, then hype up NXT to get more people to watch it. Balor VS Joe and Bayley VS Emma, for example, would be excellent additions to this year's card. Or would you rather see The Miz VS Fandango in a match that has NOTHING to do with any of the title belts?

If NXT belts are defended on WWE shows, then there is no longer any reason to have an NXT division, and just put everyone on the main roster.

It would only be one night though, I never said anything about adding NXT title matches to other shows like TLC or Hell In A Cell. They get to be showcased once per year on the main roster due to having titles on a show meant to be about championships. As I stated in my response to Messiah, the announcers could remind the viewer that these wrestlers and divas are in developmental. It can generate more interest in NXT in the process, then on NXT itself they can book how important it is to get to have the spots on the Night of Champions card. This would make the brand more special, and even moreso than it once was.

No, there are already too many titles on the WWE roster. I'd prefer it to be only WWEWHC, US/IC/Midcard Unified title, Tag Titles, Women's Title, and that be that.

I disagree there. The roster is large enough to justify two midcard belts. For most of the year, the title structure is fine. At Night of Champions, however, we run into this problem each year and have since 2010.

On the other hand, I don't want to have to wait until December to get Bailey v. Whomever for the NXT Women's belt.

This is true. Bayley VS Emma for the NXT Women's Championship on Night of Champions would be amazing.

Well, here's the thing, when NOC was first initiated, the title picture was this:

WWE Championship
World Heavyweight Championship
WWE Intercontinental Championship
WWE United States Championship
WWE Tag Team Championship
World Tag Team Championship
WWE Divas Championship
WWE Women's Championship

There were 8 titles in use as part of the brand extension but there are only 5 now.

Exactly. This is why the first 3 Night of Champions shows were such a big deal. Until Money In the Bank became its own PPV brand, Night of Champions felt like the biggest show outside of The Big 4. Heck, even 2010's edition came off like a big deal despite that CM Punk VS Big Show non-title match that had no business being on the card. The following year we saw a non-title match MAIN EVENT the show. It's been downhill ever since.

I'm sorta torn on the idea as I think it has positives and negatives. The positives is that it gives fans who possibly haven't followed NXT a chance to see what some of the buzz is all about by seeing some of NXT's brightest on the same ppv with the main roster. At the same time, I like the notion of the NXT & main roster brands being kept separate as possible as NXT is a viable alternative to the more "mainstream" WWE roster. I like that it has its own feel, its on aura, its own atmosphere. Plus, I'm not confident about Vince's creative decisions regarding an NXT program.

Chances are Vince would still let Trips and his team book the NXT half of the card. It could be a chance for them to compete for a night like the GM's during the Brand Extension.

It might be something to consider for next year, but I don't think it'll happen this time around. Part of the charm of NXT is that there's so much time that's used to build their feuds before delivering big payoffs at the Takeover events. Having 4 months in between these big ppv like specials to build programs is something of an advantage to NXT that the main roster doesn't have. For instance, having access to all WWE ppvs for $10 a month is the bread & butter of the WWE Network, so WWE can't really afford to trimming down ppvs from 12 to maybe 4 a year. As a result, there's not as much time to build things up before delivering a big payoff.

Yeah, it's too late to set it up this year. After how successful NXT Brooklyn was, I could see it happening for next year. It's the best option they have. Other than an NXT showcase, bringing back old titles, or forcing a Money In the Bank briefcase defense upon Sheamus, what else could they have done this year? This show could easily stand alongside Money In the Bank as the two biggest shows of the year outside of The Big 4 if they just change it up a bit to get around the issue of the non-title filler. Either that, or retire the show. It's been a disappointment lately when it used to be so special and such a big deal. I'd be very interested in knowing what you would do instead of the non-title matches since you often post great ideas.

Night of Champions is my favorite PPV theme of them all. If WrestleMania is the Super Bowl of WWE, then Night of Champions is the Pro Bowl of WWE. Though it hasn't exactly been the Pro Bowl in recent years, I think Dagger's idea of including the Championships of NXT could bring that meaning back to Night of Title Belts. Having the 8 active Championships defended would be enough to fill the card, and leave non-Title matches off the card.

Of course, I love the idea of bringing back a retired Championship, but I also love the idea of bringing them all back just to bring them back.

I never liked the idea of having the Money In The Bank briefcases defended like a Championship, but i don't hate it.

Now if the ever decided to have Championships from other promotions defended on WWE TV, which they did back in the 90s with some NWA Championships, I'd be all for it. More gold can only be best for business.

The original Night of Champions wasn't just a PPV of all title matches where every belt was on the line. It was also a celebration of wrestling history, with former champions at ringside for the matches. I'd like to see them bring that idea back, to create more of a big fight feel for all the title matches. Also, the WWE could borrow an idea from NJPW that I love, that could play up the title history aspect. Before every IWGP Heavyeight Championship match, they show a montage of all the former champions. I'd like to see the WWE use this idea for Night of Champions, with pre-match videos highighting the history of each title and it's greatest former champions.

As far as NXT goes, I think it should remain a separate brand. At the end of the day, it's a developmental territory, so I don't think they should do NXT Title matches on a main roster PPV.

I think you have the morale of it right but i dont think they will rush to bring all the NXT titles into 1 PPV, it just aint quite right for buisness as yet.

Eventually some sort of match between the NXT champion (best at the time, defeated everyone on the NXT roster) and a KO/Neville/Balor match will be the first NXT defence at a WWE ppv, in which they could probably do on 1 of the main 4 ppvs to attract more interest to the title and NXT itself.

Something similar for the Tag/Womens NXT title will happen down the track too. Even a match against the Tag/Womens WWE title holders could give them a huge push. Its just about giving the opportunity to a rising star that will take it.

)

This is the question I want to give the most focus but I also want to bring up your NXT championship point first.

My first thought is always that the NXT championship defended on a WWE PPV would be a great idea. Specifically Wrestlemania. Then, about 2 minutes later, I revert back to the ideology that NXT is indeed its own distinct brand and that the "rookies" shouldnt get a spot on a main roster card. I would, however, love to see NXT adopt a "mid-card" title and put on its own Night of Champions. 4 titles, give each 20-25 minutes and have a true 2 hour NOC wrestling event.

Back to the idea of the MITB being defended at NOC. I have always loved the idea of MITB being defended. Reason being, I dont think the WWE writers ever have a clue about what they're going to do after a superstar wins it. Perfect example being Sandow.

I think the MITB is, for all intents and purposes, and championship. It is THE championship, just in a briefcase. I think Sheamus was a poor choice to win it this year and seeing someone snatch it away from him could be a memorable moment. Especially if the new holder cashed it in the very same night.

NOC is no longer a NOC. Its a Night of some Championship matches mixed with filler bullshit. AKA, every other PPV. MITB being defended would be a cool way to shake things up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back