Who Wins This Match?

• Mick Foley

• Wade Barrett

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The following contest is a first round match in the New York Region.

This match takes place in the Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky.

rupp.jpg

#5 Mick Foley

mickfoley01.jpg

Vs.

#28 Wade Barrett

WadeBarrettHinton1.png

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Mick Foley has far too much experience to lose in an opening round to Wade Barrett. Wade is one hell of a competitor, but Mick Foley has beaten the best and biggest the business has to offer. Also, he's taken worse beatings from better wrestlers (Austin, Vader, Undertaker, Kane, etc.) than Wade Barrett.

At the 1998 Survivor Series, Foley competed in, and nearly won, a tournament ("The Deadly Game") to crown a new WWF Champion. If not for the "screwjob" repeat, he would have taken the gold. Foley is too brutal, and too sadistic for Barrett. Barrett hasn't faced anyone like Foley, and couldn't inflict enough punishment to win.

Foley, by a mile.

Mick Foley. He has to be one of the greats, in and out of the ring. He seems genuine, others put on this appearence, he just seems to love every minute of being a professional wrestler.

Wade has had a treamendous year; but that's just it. Year. Mick Foley has been amazing for the last two decades. From ECW to WCW to the WWE and hell, I watched his match with Ric Flair on iMPACT! before BFG and even in TNA.

Look, even since 2000 at the great matches hes had. Against Triple H, Orton, Edge, Ric Flair, Tommy Dreamer and Terry Funk.

I really am a fan of Wade Barrett. Don't know what about him it is, but ever since he won NXT he goes from strength-to-strength, but he can't beat Mick Foley.

Vote goes to Foley; Have a nice day!

Mick Foley. Easily. He puts asses in seats.

I honestly don't see competition. Everyone knows Mick Foley, or Cactus Jack, or Dude Love, or Mankind. For the past 20 years Foley has been doing everything from WWE championship holder to TNA share holder. He helped bring back ECW for a short time, and he teamed with The Rock. Headlined Wrestlemania against Evolution. Fell through and off cells, and chokeslammed through rings. He's literally done it all and seen it all.

Wade had a good year and has plenty of time to make a name for himself, but he doesn't compare to Mick Foley. Not one bit.

In a fair one on one, I'd probably give Mick the edge due to his ability to endure.

However, one thing has to be said for my man Wade - he never hunts alone, whether you talk about the Nexus or the Corre, there will be outside interference.

So I can see a face Mick and heel Barrett (with the Corre outside the ring). A simple back and forth match following normal parameters - Foley starts strong, the heel takes over after a mistimed elbow drop from the apron. Several fan bating comebacks are thwarted, until an overconfident Wade lowers his head too soon on a backdrop attempt and the hardcore legend hits a quick doublearm DDT but is to slow to cover the Brit for the 3 count. However Barrett is slow to rise and the referee checks on his condition as Mick backs away and reaches into his pants to pull out Socko. The crowd tries to shout a warning but he turns into a quick scoop slam by Big Zeke followed instantly by a 450 from the already perched Gabriel. Barrett miraculously comes around and quickly scoops the punch drunk Foley onto his shoulders - one Wastelands later and the shock is confirmed.

Surprisingly I'm leaning toward Barrett here. I know Foley has more experience and has done more for wrestling. Some people vote for the guy who has had the most impact on the business and that's fine. I think if we all did that we could skip the tournament and declare Hulk Hogan the winner every year. I prefer to imagine how a kayfabe match would be booked. When it came to kayfabe Foley was great, but more often than not was booked as the loser. From Triple H to The Rock to Randy Orton to Edge and many more Foley's main job was to make his opponent look good and get him over. Wade Barrett is an ideal opponent for Foley here. He's been booked very strong his first year in WWE and I could easily see him being booked to beat Foley as a further push. I haven't actually voted yet but I'm really thinking Barrett here.

It would be a tough match up for both men to pull a win out of, but I'm going to give it to Mr. Foley. Why? He's tough as nails, and I don't think Wade Barrett would be able to keep him down after he hits Wasteland. Foley has gone through all sorts of hell, and a single Wasteland doesn't even come close to being thrown through an announce table from the top of a Hell in a Cell cage.

Additionally, we've seen Foley become a champion, we've seen him beat some pretty great competitors, and we've been entertained by him for over a decade. We haven't seen Wade Barrett beat anyone of any notoriety without serious aid from Nexus. Even if Wade Barrett had Ezekiel Jackson at ringside, I sincerely doubt that Mick Foley, especially if he's feeling like Cactus Jack, would be disturbed enough by the big man's presence to lose the match.

Mick Foley gets my vote.

Ok, ok, those who know me, know that my vote is Wade Barrett. Granted, I like both wrestlers, I have deep respect for Mick Foley. Anyone who gets their ear ripped off certainly has the respect of me, and to get their body thrown into a flaming table, gets a deep appreciation from me. Believe me. However, what made me lean more towards Wade was the HUGE impact he made in NXT, and the bombastic impact he and his Nexus/Corre had when debuting in WWE. This man started later in life with wanting to be a professional wrestler. He originally was a lab technician, and doing bareknuckle fighting. He didn't get his wrestling start until 2004. So he's still fairly new to this, but still making big impacts.

Another big plus on Wade's side, the man is such a smooth talker. He can sell a turd sandwich to the ever famous germ-o-phobe Howard Hughes. His promo skills are pretty spot on for someone still pretty new to the big leagues like WWE. I admit, Mick was pretty good for the cheap pops as well. But Wade is the kind to be more sly and slick, since that's the nature of his heel persona. I think what also makes the big difference is that for such a newcomer, and the way he and his group debuted, EVERYONE in WWE was affected by him and his Nexus/Corre in someway/shape/form. Whether it be physical or psychological. You can't deny that he was someone to be reckoned with, especially in NXT, he was going up against some more experienced people like Bryan Danielson, and more famous, like David Otunga who people thought would've been the ones to get the win, but no, it was Wade who made the score.

I think that granted, he's still a bit green in some aspects, but his presence does command attention wherever he goes, whether RAW or SMACKDOWN, this man is someone you just cannot ignore. He is someone that despite having had jokes from Cena, or little cracks, he still manages to maintain composure and find another way to try to attain his goal. He may not be on the comedy end of some sh-tick like Foley may have liked to do, but he still has fans that like what he does, and will still follow what he does. I am glad to be one who roots for the big bad guys. So, yeah, I said it. Its not like its a big secret.

Ok, ok, those who know me, know that my vote is Wade Barrett. Granted, I like both wrestlers, I have deep respect for Mick Foley. Anyone who gets their ear ripped off certainly has the respect of me, and to get their body thrown into a flaming table, gets a deep appreciation from me. Believe me. However, what made me lean more towards Wade was the HUGE impact he made in NXT, and the bombastic impact he and his Nexus/Corre had when debuting in WWE.

More of an impact than Foley?? He and his crew made an impact that lasted about six months. Foley falling from the HIAC structure alone has made a bigger impact. This is a really, really lame point.

This man started later in life with wanting to be a professional wrestler. He originally was a lab technician, and doing bareknuckle fighting. He didn't get his wrestling start until 2004. So he's still fairly new to this, but still making big impacts.

:lmao:

We should vote for him because he started late? Just..stop.

Another big plus on Wade's side, the man is such a smooth talker. He can sell a turd sandwich to the ever famous germ-o-phobe Howard Hughes. His promo skills are pretty spot on for someone still pretty new to the big leagues like WWE. I admit, Mick was pretty good for the cheap pops as well. But Wade is the kind to be more sly and slick, since that's the nature of his heel persona. I think what also makes the big difference is that for such a newcomer, and the way he and his group debuted, EVERYONE in WWE was affected by him and his Nexus/Corre in someway/shape/form. Whether it be physical or psychological. You can't deny that he was someone to be reckoned with, especially in NXT, he was going up against some more experienced people like Bryan Danielson, and more famous, like David Otunga who people thought would've been the ones to get the win, but no, it was Wade who made the score.

In terms of mic work, Foley buries Barrett. Foley has had more heart-felt, meaningful promo's than Wade Barrett could ever dream to have.

I think that granted, he's still a bit green in some aspects, but his presence does command attention wherever he goes, whether RAW or SMACKDOWN, this man is someone you just cannot ignore. He is someone that despite having had jokes from Cena, or little cracks, he still manages to maintain composure and find another way to try to attain his goal. He may not be on the comedy end of some sh-tick like Foley may have liked to do, but he still has fans that like what he does, and will still follow what he does. I am glad to be one who roots for the big bad guys. So, yeah, I said it. Its not like its a big secret.

At least you're admitting to abandoning all logic when voting for Barrett, have to give you credit there.

If this was Foley later in his career, I'd totally go for Barrett. Like Edge or Orton, he'd beat the shit out of him, dump him on some tacks, throw him in some barbed wire and then put him over.

But Foley in his prime? Pah, I say. PAH! It's like bah but with a "b" - such is my incredulity. So yeah, Wade would inevitably get a sock down his throat within about, I dunno, five minutes. Oh, and if Wade gets Nexus or The Corre in his corner, Foley gets DX - that being Hunter, Road Dogg, Billy Gun, X-Pac and Chyna - in his.

Around this time, Foley would barely be his former self, and Barrett would still need help to edge out a victory. When's the last time you saw Barrett get a clean win? (sans NXT, I won't count a tryout show).

Foley in his prime would beat some sense into this rookie, and have fun doing it too. If it was his Mankind gimmick, he would bash him and smash him before putting the mandible claw on him after a good 8-10 minutes of beatdown. If it was his Cactus Jack gimmick, it would basically be the same.

My vote: Mick Foley

If this was Foley later in his career, I'd totally go for Barrett. Like Edge or Orton, he'd beat the shit out of him, dump him on some tacks, throw him in some barbed wire and then put him over.

But Foley in his prime? Pah, I say. PAH! It's like bah but with a "b" - such is my incredulity. So yeah, Wade would inevitably get a sock down his throat within about, I dunno, five minutes. Oh, and if Wade gets Nexus or The Corre in his corner, Foley gets DX - that being Hunter, Road Dogg, Billy Gun, X-Pac and Chyna - in his.

How? What? Foley has little record of backup and no positive relations with dX - Barrett's been all about the pack mentality. Foley may be hardcore but Barrett is bareknuckle hard and his CORRE'd mess Mick up - just ask Big Show.

How? What? Foley has little record of backup and no positive relations with dX - Barrett's been all about the pack mentality. Foley may be hardcore but Barrett is bareknuckle hard and his CORRE'd mess Mick up - just ask Big Show.

When you're forced to rely upon hypothetical interference from a boring stable, you should know your argument is shit.

But in the interest of putting this shit to bed, fine, The Corre jumps in (and we'll also pretend Wade isn't immediately disqualified). Guess who just returned to the WWE? The fucking Rock. Rock 'n' Sock Connection could take that pack of bums and flush them down a toilet without any additional help before the ref could even blink.

It's amazing how every argument for Barrett makes him look worse and worse.

When you're forced to rely upon hypothetical interference from a boring stable, you should know your argument is shit.

But in the interest of putting this shit to bed, fine, The Corre jumps in (and we'll also pretend Wade isn't immediately disqualified). Guess who just returned to the WWE? The fucking Rock. Rock 'n' Sock Connection could take that pack of bums and flush them down a toilet without any additional help before the ref could even blink.

It's amazing how every argument for Barrett makes him look worse and worse.

Have you been watching TV, how many Barrett matches have NOT involved outside interference? He has been lead pack dog since debuting on RAW.

The Rock? Excuse my naivety but surely under this hypothetical tournament Mr Johnson is in the Bell Center in Montreal, Quebec, Canada whupping Stevie Richards' candy ass in his round 1 match - a run in by the great one would be a neat trick!

How does this make him look worse, heels relying on outside interference is classic wrestling storytelling 101? And any head heel worth his salt is a master of distracting the referee from noticing the outside interference.

Wade Barrett is a star on the rise in wrestling, but Foley is a fucking legend. Sure Foley is like the Cubs of professional wrestling, he is a lovable loser. But just because he lost a lot doesn't mean he didn't win his fair share of matches. Foley has beat some of the greatest stars in wrestling. He has beaten Rock, Taker, Triple H, Sting, Edge, Funk, etc... Barrett has needed help from his compadres and even with that help Foley would be able to out last it. He has is own groups of supporters. Whether it is Paul Bearer, DX, The Union, or Goldust, Foley has a backing. This will be brutal and Foley is likely to take an ass kicking, but he doesn't stay down and scores the victory with a little help from his trusty old sock.

If the Elimination Chamber showed anything, it's that Barrett is shit when he's not got a group to fall back on. He lasted about 5 seconds at the hands of the Big Show when he was denied access to his mates. The only way he'd win here is if they helped him, and there's a problem with that. Firstly, it's a shit way to enjoy the tournament. Secondly, Foley's world titles - both in the WWF and TNA - came in promotions and times where the seemingly meaningless run in was rife. If Nexus attacked Foley, then almost immediately every face in the company would come and chase them away, just as DX were instrumental in his first title win, and just as "the frontline" defended him from the main event mafia. Foley would win this, as it stands now.

I can respect Brain's reason for picking Wade but only his. Foley in his prime went toe to toe with Vader and Sting. Barrett can't even beat Orton and had to have help to beat Cena. In response to Lita, Wade could and will never come close to touching Foley's best work on the mic. All Wade amounts to is an accent and a weak finisher.

Mick Foley is the most valuable wrestler in the WWE over the last 15 years.

Sounds like hyperbole, but hear me out.

1. When The Undertaker went a little bit stale, it was Foley who woke him up. Foley fought Taker in the Boiler Room Brawl, and then took two SICK bumps in Hell in a Cell. We learned two things from that match - a) Foley is a sick, tough sumbitch, and b) the Undertaker's killer instinct was alive and well, and he damn sure was back.

2. When The Rock was the "Corporate Champion," he wasn't 100% bought in as a legit challenge to the career of Steve Austin. Enter Mick Foley. He feuded with Rock, put Rock over, and took the most brutal and dangerous beating I've ever seen in the "I Quit" match, taking 13 unprotected head shots with the chair.

3. When Edge was just the pretty boy Intercontinental Champ and fringe main eventer, it was Foley who put Edge over in their Hardcore match, showing fans who thought Edge was a pretty boy without a mean streak that he was, in fact, a badass with a brutality factor.

4. When Randy Orton was Evolution's midcard pretty boy and IC Champ, it was Foley again who put Orton over in a sick Hardcore match. All of a sudden, Orton was a legit badass.

Two main eventers from the past and two current main eventers. All 4 in some way owe the state of their careers to Mick Foley. Barrett is not on the level of Undertaker, Rock, Edge, or Orton. Foley goes over here, and goes over HUGE.

By that theory, IC, he'd put Barrett over... so I take Wade Barrett. Foley can take a helluva beating and his resiliant like no other... but Barrett is a cagey, younger and just as tough. Barrett was a bare knuckle fighter in the UK. I'm pretty sure any beating that Foley could dish out, Barrett could take it.

Thing about Foley... is that he's a lovable LOSER. He LOST a ton of matches. He's won some... but Barrett is someone who's star could shine in this tourney because he's a bad matchup for nearly anyone's style. Even Stan Hansen.

SO I take Barrett in a toss up... because I simply don't drink the Foley Kool-Aid.

Lariat, when Foley put those guys over, you neglect to recall one major factor...

1. He beat the Rock for the World Title twice.

2. He beat Undertaker more times than the Undertaker beat him.

3. He pounded Edge and Orton soundly well past his prime.

Who has Barrett beaten legitimately? Saying "Foley lost his biggest matches" is just plain asinine. At least he had big matches. Barrett isn't there yet. I like the guy, he has a lot going for him. Kool-aid or not Foley is miles ahead of him. Even in 1993, when Foley was feuding with Vader, Foley was ahead of Barrett.

I like Foley a lot, but I really like The Brain's argument. Foley has had a history of putting people over, and what better way than a first round upset in a big tournament? Also, I am strongly of the belief that "hardcore" types are at a distinct disadvantage in a straight-up match like this. Sure, I voted Terry Funk, but by all accounts, he was also a very good "wrestler". With Foley, sure he can take a beating (like all the hardcore guys can) but when it comes to in-ring ability, he was fairly limited. Between the kayfabe likelihood that Foley puts Barrett over and my personal belief that hardcore wrestlers are almost always at a disadvantage in a straight-up match, I am going with Barrett.

How? What? Foley has little record of backup and no positive relations with dX - Barrett's been all about the pack mentality.

[YOUTUBE]r1B3-WkGUfg[/YOUTUBE]

Just wanted to clear that up since no one else felt like proving you wrong.

Anywho, I'm taking Foley here. I know a lot of people are going to say that he has a history of putting people over and blah blah blah. It's the first round of the tournament. He's not gonna give someone a meaningless rub in a first round match up, especially to someone who isn't going to be relevant in the future of the tournament. Barrett is way to green to warrant going over Foley at this point in his career. Maybe if he transforms into a more valuable entity in the future I could see this happening, but for now, he's not on the radar.

No offense to the awesome people that put this tournament together, but I feel that there should have been a disclaimer of some sorts to clarify whether or not this match was between Mick Foley and all his different persona's or just the character Mick Foley.

The man [not the character] Mick Foley was an enigma because he wrestled with 4 distinctly different characters throughout his career. First you have Dude Love, a character that never rose past the midcard, then there's Cactus Jack, the Hardcore Legend who was as nasty a character as they came but was still a career midcarder. After this you have Mankind, easily Foley's most successul and iconic character. Mankind was a bonofide main eventer and the character most used to represent the man's career. Lastly you have Mick Foley the character; an over-the-hill veteren who strives to use his image to put others over the best he can.

If this match were between Mankind and Barrett; Mankind would win hands down... wouldn't even be close. The more popular [for whatever reasons] a character becomes in prowrestling the better booking they recieve. The better booking they recieve the better that character becomes developed.

Because it's not stated otherwise I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one and say that the match is between just Mick Foley the character and Wade Barrett. If so, I'm really leaning towards Barrett. As an up and comer Barrett has proven himself capable of getting wins over established mid carders in one on one matches with no interference.

If Barrett can beat a guy like Mark Henry with little effort, then what's to stop him from beating Mick Foley, whom as a character was still just a midcarder?

If Barrett can beat a guy like Mark Henry with little effort, then what's to stop him from beating Mick Foley, whom as a character was still just a midcarder?

What?

[YOUTUBE]sVBdKKHaUz8[/YOUTUBE]

Foley, the man, main evented WrestleMania. Not Cactus, not Mankind, not Dude Love. Mick Foley. He didn't win, but he was in the last match. "Mick" most certainly was not a mid-carder.

This has been addressed above but I'm looking at you first statement. Comparing Mick Foley to Mark Henry? Mark Henry is slow, not strategic in the slightest and the Henry that Barrett went up against was the gentle giant kept in this business to basically job and job some more. Mark has won titles in his quite stretched out career in this business and one was one in a poor "new" ECW and the other when he was a whole different person, one that actually scared or impressed people. Foley on the other hand? So sure, a good majority of his titles were won under another persona but what about the two championships he had under his belt in TNA? Oh yeah, and didn't Foley kick Randy Orton's ass as his "middle card self"? You know, the kid that was on the early steps of a huge push? Yeah. There are more and I'll let others inform you of them but you need to get the difference between a jobbing Mark Henry and a Mick Foley who was still his kick ass self even when he was just, Mick Foley.

Mick wins this one swiftly and brutally. We need to remember that Barrett is still young with a ton to learn and sure he seems like a perfect candidate to be elevated by this Hardcore Legend but in a first round match? Mick may have had enough shots to his head over his time in this business but even he is smart enough to realize that even if Wade was to be pushed into the next round, he'd stand no chance. Barrett has a lot more time than Foley does, he'll be in this business for years to come but for now he needs a good ol' lesson from his good friend Mick because he's not ready. And one more thing, I'd love to see Ezekiel and the rest of the Corre take on The Rock for one thing. How about you add DX and the rest of the friends Mick Foley has made and add them to the equation, seems like a pretty lame reason to vote for Wade now, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back