Pat Summitt

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
For those of you that haven't heard of her, Pat Summitt is one of if not the best basketball coaches of all time, men or women. She has won 999 games which is by far the most of any women's coach and is the most for any college coach of all time. She'll be winning her 1000th game any time now which is an amazing milestone. My point is, does this mean much or is it just another milestone for the greatest women's coach of all time? She's won more games, more SEC titles, more national titles and holds nearly every record worth having. Is 1000 wins the most impressive of these, or just another thing on her resume?

Pat Summitt's greatest achievement is almost definitely her number of national championships. The wins prove the longevity of her career, and the constant success that she has, but the national titles show exactly how great she has been for her career.

The wins however, are a very close 2nd. Winning year in and year out is tough in college, due to the influx of talent every year. She's been consistently the best women's coach, and always has her team in the top 25, and they always compete for the national title. Once the WNBA started, many of her players went on to dominate that league. You can ask almost anyone to name 3 college basketball teams, and the three answers you will get most are North Carolina men's, Duke men's, and Tennessee women's. To dominate a male-dominated position, coaching women in a male-dominated sport, is no small feat.

On a side note, I'd love to see a male team coached by Summitt, take on a women's team coached by Bob Knight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back