Plans in wrestling that never happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disarm

Dark Match Winner
I don't know why, but I find stuff like this to be intriguing. It's always interesting to see what could of been.

Does anyone have any stories of plans that were booked, but never happened?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me list some examples:

HHH originally booked to win KOTR 96
An HBK/Hart rematch was planned for WM13
Triple H/Brock Lesnar was planned for Wrestlemania 19
The Flair/Hogan match at Wrestlemania match that never happened

Jake "the Snake" Roberts vs Hogan

Jake "the Snake" Roberts vs Ultimate Warrior

Both were planned for potential title runs for Roberts. sadly

I heard that when the nWo was going to be formed, that Sting was gonna be the leader but then Hogan showed up at the ppv at the last minute or something and took that spot.. would've been interesting if it had been Sting.. but probably wouldn't have had the same feel as it did with Hollywood Hogan :)

Austin vs Hogan at WM 18. It was the original plan but neither would do the job so it didnt happen.

Wow, I never knew that. I can see why it didn't happen though. They couldn't find a way to end it and both did not want to lose to the other, I don't blame anyone, though, it must of been hard as hell to find a finish to this match.

Does anyone have any stories of plans that were booked, but never happened

Vince's limo explosion comes to mind. We will never know how that storyline was going to go and I'm sure it would have been great because of all the suspense and how shocking it started out.

Another is the Vince's son storyline. The original one with Kennedy, not the other one we got with Honswoggle. All that hype for a JBL VS Finlay match? I'm still mad about that one. The original could have made a main eventer out of Kennedy, he also could have cashed in MITB at Wrestlemania 24 like he said he would. Not that Edge using the MITB against Taker wasn't bad, but Kennedy as Vince's son were the original plans and it would have been a lot better than the Hornswoggle version because that was honestly a waste of time in the end.

Bret Hart vs. Hulk Hogan at SummerSlam '93, would have loved to see that one. Another interesting rumor was that if Bret had stayed with the WWE, at some point after Survivor Series there was talk of a ladder match between Hart and HBK for the world title. According to Bret anyway.

Eddie Guerrero winning the WWE/World Heavyweight title again. It was supposed to have happened, so I believe. If this were the case, I doubt Rey Mysterio would have a championship reign under his belt right now.

The Kennedy vs Orton storyline that got scrapped when Kennedy got released.

The Kennedy money in the bank cash in that was supposed to happen at WM 24, but didn't happen because of his injury. This would mean either Orton/HHH/Cena or Edge/Taker wouldn't have happened.

Bret/Michaels II at WM 13. Taker doesn't get his title reign, Hart possibly has a little more confidence in Michaels/McMahon, and the whole Montreal thing may have turned out differently. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened, but a slightly different series of events may have unfolded. On a very big note, it also means Austin/Hart wouldn't have happened, which was a defining moment in Austin's career. Perhaps it was for the best after all.

Hogan/HBK II and III. I think it was supposed to be a series of matches that didn't happen because of Hogan's creative control. Regardless of how it was supposed to be, it likely would have been an interesting feud.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Hogan/HBK II and III. I think it was supposed to be a series of matches that didn't happen because of Hogan's creative control. Regardless of how it was supposed to be, it likely would have been an interesting feud.

Those are just off the top of my head.

I just remembered about this. I think that HBK was gonna win the second match, but when Hogan backed out of the series of matches due to a "knee injury", HBK hilariously overselled.

I'm glad it didn't happen, though. That match was horrendous.

Kennedy's run as champion would of been amazing, it's a shame that hes injury prone.

Also:

Bret/Michaels II at WM 13. Taker doesn't get his title reign, Hart possibly has a little more confidence in Michaels/McMahon, and the whole Montreal thing may have turned out differently. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened, but a slightly different series of events may have unfolded. On a very big note, it also means Austin/Hart wouldn't have happened, which was a defining moment in Austin's career. Perhaps it was for the best after all.

I think that Montreal would of still happened the way it did , it was all about Hart refusing to drop the title at that particular time, and Mcmahon being unable to afford Hart's ten year contract at the time. Austin is a very interesting situation, but I think he'd still get the rub from HBK a year later.

Very interesting stuff guys, rep for everyone.

I like Vince, and I think the screwjob was mostly Brets fault, BUT lol Vince could have afforded his 10 year contract. It wasn't THAT much. I thought it was a 20 year deal but I don't know.

Austin-Hogan didn't happen cause neither man would budge on wanting to do the job.

The one that ALWAYS baffled me was Hogan and Flair. Obviously Flair would do the job, he did like 10,000 of them in WCW Hogans first year. Plus he jobbed to Savage that year.

I heard rublings in shoot vids that Vince promised Sid a title shot vs Hogan as a Wrestlemania. I guess Sid didn't realize Vince slid in "Or main event" clause so he Vince got one over on him.

I think also at the time Hogan wasn't drawing much like he used too. He was tired, beat up, and Vince thought Savage could sell better.

Til this day though I still don't understand where the truth lies. I can't imagine why Flair and Hogan didn't happen, as I don't believe Vince would give in to Sid, and as bad as Hogan was during those few years, Savage wasn't that much better.

And as far as Hogan vs HBK 2, well we know what happened. Hogan was gonna get the win and fucking bail. HBK got wind of it and made Hogan and himself look like jackasses. I found it funny.

One angle I was really hoping to see, was Beefcake and Honky. For whatever reasons, I can't remember, Beefcake didn't show so Warrior got the strap. I would have liked to see that feud with the title on the line. Would have been very good.

Heres another interesting one I bet few remember. Bad News Brown was supposed to beat Hogan, clean, on SNME for the title. Was going to build him up and then the rematch would take place on WM 6. Well Vince lied to him, supposedly got his ass whipped by some, and I guess with the recent success of Warrior, their feud was canceled. BNB also almost or did punch Vince out again after his pay was I believe half of Roddy made for WM 6

Two big "old school" events that were supposed to happened but never did, and that come to mind involved Ted Dibiase in one, and the Rockers in another.

At Wrestlemania IV, Ted Dibiase was supposed to win the tournament and the WWF championship, while Randy Savage was to win the I-C title and I believe eventually defeat Ted for the WWF Championship. But the Honky Tonk Man supposedly refused to lose the I-C title to Savage, and thus Vince instead made Savage the World Champion. Dibiase should one day beat the crap out of Honky for ruining his chances of becoming the World Champion basically. I know I'd be pissed at him for it. Ted was also supposed to eventually become the NWA World Champion, but I think his jump to the WWF ruined those plans as well. Poor Ted. :(

Another idea for a plan that was rumored to be a possible plan, was something I read in Ric Flair's book, though I've heard nothing about it since. Supposedly, Ric was going to possibly jump ship to the WWF all the way back in 1988 and take on Randy Savage for the World Title at Wrestlemania IV. I only read about this in Ric Flair's book, so if anyone has any more info on this story, I'd love to hear it. This could've been an interesting scenario having Flair and Savage main event Wrestlemania IV.

The other idea I had for this thread was the Rockers originally supposed to be winning and getting a run with the Tag Team belts back in 1990. Jim Neidhart's contract was supposedly up and wasn't going to resign. Vince was then going to put Bret in singles competition, and drop the titles to the Rockers on Saturday Night's Main Event. During the match, the top rope broke in the middle of the ring, and the Rockers won in a horrible matchup. Vince ended up putting a halt to the Rockers reign, returning the belts to the Hart Foundation, and the Hart Foundation continued their 2nd run as champions, with the Rockers never again getting a run or shot with the belts. Jim Neidhart ended up resigning with the WWF, and this has been kind of determined to be the "official" reason for the Harts getting the belts back (the match turning out like crap certainly helped lead to this outcome). Although I know Shawn felt that Bret and Jim pushed themselves to get the titles back, although that's been denied.

That last one was pretty unfortunate as I do feel that the Rockers definitely deserved a run with the titles. Especially Bret ended up going to singles about 7 months later anyway. Perhaps it should've been the Rockers losing the titles to the Nasty Boys at Wrestlemania VII?

Someone mentioned the feud that Jake Roberts and the Ultimate Warrior were going to embark on after the summer of 1991, which I think would've been an absolutely awesome feud, if not crazy and outlandish. The matches probably wouldn't have been too hot (although by that point Warrior could have a good match as long as he was in the ring with someone good, ala Savage, Rude, etc.), but the promos and storylines leading to the matches would've been great, as the few that they did do on Supertsars were great stuff. That could've been a good feud. But then again, we might not have gotten Savage back in the thick of things and the great feud that Roberts and Savage ended up having, had the feud with Warrior and Roberts taken place like it was supposed to.

Great topic idea here. :)

I like Vince, and I think the screwjob was mostly Brets fault, BUT lol Vince could have afforded his 10 year contract. It wasn't THAT much. I thought it was a 20 year deal but I don't know.

The one that ALWAYS baffled me was Hogan and Flair. Obviously Flair would do the job, he did like 10,000 of them in WCW Hogans first year. Plus he jobbed to Savage that year.

I heard rublings in shoot vids that Vince promised Sid a title shot vs Hogan as a Wrestlemania. I guess Sid didn't realize Vince slid in "Or main event" clause so he Vince got one over on him.

I think also at the time Hogan wasn't drawing much like he used too. He was tired, beat up, and Vince thought Savage could sell better.

Til this day though I still don't understand where the truth lies. I can't imagine why Flair and Hogan didn't happen, as I don't believe Vince would give in to Sid, and as bad as Hogan was during those few years, Savage wasn't that much better.

From what I've read about the Hogan/Flair match and why it never happened, it seemed to be more on Hulk. Hogan was going to be leaving after Wrestlemania VIII due to the steriod scandals and Hogan just being burnt out. So obviously with Hogan on his way out, of course Flair needed to win the match. Unfortunately Hogan didn't want to lose to Flair at least from what I've read (and is that really all that surprising?). And thus instead Vince went with Savage/Flair (where the good guy could win the title still, which was still a tradition at Wrestlemania, and perhaps another reason why they would've wanted to go with Hogan winning), and then Hogan and Sid.

It was just bad timing as if it had happen just a couple of years earlier, Hogan would've stayed in the company and they could've had the epic Flair/Hogan matchup.

Holy god, Dibiase got screwed to hell. Dibiase was one of the greatest superstars of the 90s, he would of made an incredible champion, perhaps the best heel champion.

Anyone remember the Nailz/Taker hype? Sure, it would of been another of Taker's horrible early fueds, but it would of been interesting to see how the two extremely different gimmicks clashed.

Juventud Guerrea was in the Filthy animals in WCW.. WCW toured here in Aus 4 the 1st time, while here in Brisbane Juvi got a lil.. juiced and trashed the hotel cafe area, broke a lady cops ribs and ended up being arrested and deported. His contract was torn up, At the Nitro show here (i was at it) Kidman wrestled a Dark match and was really over.. by the time they got back to the States Kidman was placed in the Filthy animals.. Kidmans career in WCW at the time was lil subdued and he ended up pushed more after this.

Kane killed someone. Triple H had sex with the corpse.

Where the hell was that one going? ... Sometimes it's better if original plans don't happen.

Another one not mentioned - Mick Foley was supposed to wrestle Austin and Rock in a triple threat match at Wrestle Mania 15. Love Foley. But again. The match wouldn't have been as good with a triple threat match.

As for the Sting to the NWO - According to Bischoff's book, Sting was a backup plan because Bischoff thought Hogan might flake out at the last minute. When Hogan showed up, the script went as planned. Oddly, Bischoff's book makes it seem as if he had no idea who the third man would be until after it was announced that there was a third man. He writes that Hogan volunteered for it after that announcement.

As for the Sting to the NWO - According to Bischoff's book, Sting was a backup plan because Bischoff thought Hogan might flake out at the last minute. When Hogan showed up, the script went as planned. Oddly, Bischoff's book makes it seem as if he had no idea who the third man would be until after it was announced that there was a third man. He writes that Hogan volunteered for it after that announcement.
Very interesting stuff, you have to wonder if it would of gone the same way, I can't see Sting ever playing heel. Ever.

Also, there was another potential third man candidate:

Had Bret Hart accepted the deal WCW proposed to him in '96, he would of been the third man.

Another one not mentioned - Mick Foley was supposed to wrestle Austin and Rock in a triple threat match at Wrestle Mania 15. Love Foley. But again. The match wouldn't have been as good with a triple threat match.

Interesting, but nothing would of really changed.

Austin would of still won, and Foley was still the special ref for the match.
Foley then got to serve useless in a WWF title match the next year, at WM 16.

Speaking of Wrestlemania 16, Undertaker was originally supposed to be part of the show, but was injured.
Does anyone know what he was booked to do? Also, an interesting thought: If he showed up at WM16, would the ABA ever happen?

I can only think of some from the last few years that a lot of people might know:

wrestlemania 23 was supposed to be a cena/hhh rematch

wrestlemania 25 was supposed to be cena/batista but batista was hurt

originally christian was scheduled to face jeff hardy at wrestlemania 25

vince wanted bret to return the year he went into the hall and instead of vince and shane vs hbk and god at backlash, he wanted bret to team up with shawn

last year there was talk of giving jbl the title going in to wrestlemania and having him face shawn michaels (thank god they didnt)

and of course, chris benoit was supposed to win the ecw championship instead of morrison

and also, im glad austin refused to lose to jarrett who has never been a main event talent (although he likes to think he is), shows he knew what he was doing and it is obvious hogan/austin never happened because of hogan, he was willing to lose to the rock but not austin, its obvious hogan should lose to whoever he faces

and i find what hbk did against hogan hilarious, u can tell hogan was agitated but thats what he deserves

I can only think of some from the last few years that a lot of people might know:

wrestlemania 23 was supposed to be a cena/hhh rematch

wrestlemania 25 was supposed to be cena/batista but batista was hurt

originally christian was scheduled to face jeff hardy at wrestlemania 25

vince wanted bret to return the year he went into the hall and instead of vince and shane vs hbk and god at backlash, he wanted bret to team up with shawn

last year there was talk of giving jbl the title going in to wrestlemania and having him face shawn michaels (thank god they didnt)

and of course, chris benoit was supposed to win the ecw championship instead of morrison

and also, im glad austin refused to lose to jarrett who has never been a main event talent (although he likes to think he is), shows he knew what he was doing and it is obvious hogan/austin never happened because of hogan, he was willing to lose to the rock but not austin, its obvious hogan should lose to whoever he faces

and i find what hbk did against hogan hilarious, u can tell hogan was agitated but thats what he deserves

Wow! I didn't know about any of that, thanks for sharing. Very interesting stuff. They already did Cena/Batista at the previous Summerslam so it wouldn't be very big. Although a part of me would of wanted an Cena/HHH match, another part is glad that we had HBK/Cena and Taker/Tista that night.

+ 1 rep.

Triple H/Brock Lesnar was planned for Wrestlemania 19

I thought that match was planned for Wrestlemania 21, but was scrapped due to Lesner leaving.

Ones that I can think of:

Two-Man Power Trip: HHH and Austin were on a tear during their brief time together, but HHH gets his first quad injury, and we never get to see where that pairing would have gone.

Hart Dynasty debuts at Survivor Series 07 (with Teddy Hart): I remember hearing a couple years ago that the HD were going to attack HBK during his title match with Orton to get revenge for Montreal (it was the 10 year anniversary afterall) and kick off a feud with him. Of course, Teddy Hart gets fired, and the Hart Dynasty is held off for a year and a half.

Jericho & Edge as Tag Champs: similar to HHH/Austin, win the tag belts, then Edge gets injured. Apparently they planned to use this as a way to eventually turn Edge face. Jerishow was good, but who knows what greatness would have come from this team.

Jeff Hardy's MITB win at Wrestlemania 24: was planned to win it and cash it in for a spring title reign, but gets suspended, leaving us with CM Punk to win who goes on to have one of the worst title reigns of the decade.

For me the instance that springs to mind is the aborted David Flair/Stacy Keibler pregnancy angle from WCW in 2000.

David Flair and Stacy were working their angle booked by my man, Vince Russo. Anyway, Stacy revealed that she was pregnant but David wasn't the father! So Flair Jr. goes on the hunt for the real father and targeted Buff Bagwell. They had their "DNA Match" at Halloween Havoc that year and the next night on Nitro it was revealed that Buff wasn't the father.

Shortly thereafter, Russo got canned for a second time from WCW and the angle was aborted. Stacy returned to WCW in January of 2001 and basically blew off the angle and stated that she was never pregnant and only made up the story to dupe the public. The whole thing was so ******ed!

The actual plan by Russo was that Ric Flair was going to be revealed as Stacy's father as well! Ric Flair at a bar 25 years ago, had a one night stand etc...There were a lot more intricacies than that however, Russo made it sound like it would have been moderately entertaining. So it was going to work out that David and Stacy were in fact brother and sister! Russo explains all of this in his 2003 RF Shoot.

At that point as we all know WCW was sunk anyway, even without this slapstick booking the company was going under.

Benoit wining the ECW title is one fore me as it was going happen as he woul;d have been the vet leading the roster but he screwed that over by going all crazy.

Eddie G winning the World Title was to happen but he died before it could happen.

The one storyline that really bothered me that never happened was that it wasn’t suppose to happen but what if it did happen and that was DX showing up at Nitro live & trying to get in the building & what would of happen if WCW let them in. I mean it would have had made a DX a monster in the ratings but if WCW guys had got “Real” with the WWE talent & beat them up it would have been big ratings for WCW.

Also the whole G-TV thing. That one time as suppose to be Goldust TV and believe it or not, Gericho TV! As WWE did not know if WCW owned the rights to the name Chris Jericho so he would have been Chris Gericho.

Anyone remember Brain Pillman's XXX Files where he was showing Goldust what he was getting up to with Marlena? They were great and really pushed the limit. Such a shame that Brian passed before we got to see where that was going.

Gonna go old school. Magnum TA was set to face and defeat Ric Flair for the NWA World Title at Starrcade '86, but an auto accident in October ended hi in-ring career. The rematches with Flair could have been epic, not to mention Magnum defending the title against Nikita Koloff, Blanchard, Luger, Arn Anderson, Barry Windham among many.

Would Sting have ended up being the mega-face if Magnum hadn't had his accident? How might the NWA/WCW been different with him around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back