Possible Women's Classic Competitors

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
When rumors of a WWE Women's Classic Tournament started to loom after the success of the CWC, it was initially reported and believed that the tourney would begin shooting this month. Obviously that wasn't the case, but now new intel is emerging that is placing a projected Women's classic tourney to begin shooting for the network in the late Spring.

With that said I wanted to build a little primer of names that I feel have the best shot of making up the field...

The "Sure Things"

Tessa Blanchard
Rachael Ellering
Deonna Purrazzo
Thea Trinidad
Santana Garrett
Kimber Lee
Heidi Lovlace
Shayna Baszler
Leah Von Dutch
Evie
Mary Dobson
Mandy Rose
Nicole Matthews

All of these Women have had recent tryouts, wrestled in NXT as enhancement talent, or have signed contracts yet haven't made a splash in NXT or been given a proper character thus far. Also in some cases they are helped by personal relationships, with Blanchard and Ellering's fathers giving them a leg up, while Trinidad's relationship with A-Double and friendship with head women's developmental trainer Sarah Stock should help her secure a position.

The "Top of the Wishlist"
This category is for the biggest possible gets that WWE should be looking to secure to add legitimacy to a claim of featuring the best talent(think the Ibushi/Tozawa/Metallik/Sabre/Perkins tier if comparing to the CWC)

Io Shirai
Kairi Hojo
Sexy Star
Candice LeRae
Nixon Newell
Bea Priestly

Shirai and Hojo along with Kana(Asuka) made up the most talented set of performers for Stardom, and rumors over the fall circulated that had both women coming over to join the empress of tomorrow, but both apparently have been dealing with cold feet since the story broke. Shirai is the get of all gets for this event and is likely the best women's wrestler currently on the planet. Unlisted; however, Mayu Iwatani would make for a great Joshi fallback option if one is needed. Star is an interesting case, but if her retirement which took her away from LU puts her in position to be available for this tourney she's an obvious target. LeRae is mega over, lives in Florida, and is married to Johnny Gargano- she has to be a top priority target. And Newell is a young jewel of the British scene, think Paige with way more talent and less of a headache, while Priestly is her equally young chief rival and the girlfriend of Will Ospreay who WWE would've given a leg to have had in the CWC. Jinny Couture of England and Toni Storm of NZ are two other names on the UK scene that would make sense if the two young superstars in the making mentioned on the list don't come to fruition.

The "Women of Honor"
These are women who would make strong additions to the tourney that wrestled during 2016 in ROH's upstart Women of Honor Division, but thus far aren't believed to be under contract

Solo Darling
Veda Scott
Jenny Rose
Kelly Klein
Hania the Huntress
Amber Gallows

I refrained from adding Taeler Hendrix and Mandy Leon(arguably the two most marketable looks of the division) as they're reportedly under contract to ROH, none of the other women are known to be under any sort of exclusive deal. Gallows is possibly a little older than WWE may want to normally consider, but she's a good veteran hand and the wife of a main roster superstar giving her an obvious shot to be included. Of the others listed, Darling is the most marketable for WWE with her "furry" gimmick. Klein has recently claimed that she would not appear for WWE without a contract with the company.

The "Burned Bridges"

Jessika Havok
Kharma(Awesome Kong)
Blue Pants(Leva Bates)

Havok had a tryout but apparently was passed on due to some years old tweets that might still keep her blackballed. Bates, who got mega over at Full Sail as enhancement talent, has reportedly rubbed people backstage the wrong way and may also be on the outside looking in. As for Kong, her reputation precedes her and who knows what her relationship is currently with the promotion as a result.

The "Known Vets"

Molly Holly or Victoria(or insert comparable former "diva" who can still go)
Velvet Sky or ODB(or insert comparable former "KnockOut")
Sarah Stock or Sara Del Rey

I believe that WWE will try to add a former diva(or two) to play the role that Kendrick and Tajiri played in the CWC; Jazz would be another possible option for that spot. Also adding a long time TNA KO mainstay aside form just Trinidad seems to make some sense(especially if Kong or Stock aren't in the field) considering the recent success in WWE of former male TNA stars, and ODB is a memorable gimmick while Sky has the look and the relationship with Bubba to help her get a possible gig here. As for Stock and Del Rey they will likely be invaluable to making this tournament tick behind the scenes, but why not a well deserved spot in the field for at least one of them as well? A potential pairing like SDR versus Shirai could be the best women's match the company has ever presented.

The "Best of the Rest"

Cat Power
Viper
Christina Von Eerie
Kay Lee Ray
Demi Bennett

Power was borderline for the top of the wishlist group and deserves a spot in the field. Viper would give the tourney the monster it needs if Kharma or Havok aren't in the mix. Kay Lee Ray and Demi Bennett would provide more youth and international flare. And Von Eerie has a look that would stand out in the field and make her a smart choice as well.

I can easily see 80-90% of the field being made up of women that I have listed somewhere in this primer.

What are your thoughts on the names listed(please don't focus too much on the former Divas/Knockouts)? How accurate will my predicted names end up being? Do you even care about a Women's Classic? Who are some other indy names that I may have missed(aside from LU and TNA names who have situations that may change but that are currently likely to be precluded due to contractual status)?

The Op's list is fine enough. It'll be similar to the CWC in that we'll see one maybe two previous names tops (Tajiri and Kendrick in the case of CWC).

That pool of possible former names is pretty low as women tend to retire from wrestling in their 30s as opposed to men who often go into their 40s.

The Women's Classic almost needs to happen. The NXT talent pool is fairly thin as things stand and with call-ups looming it almost seems like a necessity to have a mass talent audition/tournament.

It won't be like CWC, as most of the signed talent will go to NXT to fill the void there, with maybe the winner and one or two other standouts going straight to TV.

The one thing they have to do is be careful introducing so many characters. They had Raw and 205 live for the cruiserweights, and it's only just getting interesting. NXT has and hour and Raw and Smackdown only allow for one or two storylines for women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back