Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGlass

Unregistered User
Round Three...

yU19u0C.png

Stage: Jean Grey School for Higher Learning Yard

Magneto may be a former winner of the BattleZone Tournament (along with Mario in BZT3), but he would be wise to not overlook a newcomer in Geralt of Rivia. These two mutants will do battle on the yard of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. What they may not know is that the yard of the school is also a mutant, Krakoa, and controls every aspect of the environment surrounding them. Which one of these mighty mutants wins their way to the semi-finals?

FIGHT!

Geralt would need to disrobe and rely entirely on his signs(powers) because he is fresh the fuck out of luck with his swords.

Magneto isn't immune to fire or being frozen, both things Geralt can do, not to mention tossing grenades which act as flashbangs, stunning and disorienting (they are made of hide and rope)

If anyone has a shot with Magneto, a form of ancient warrior who doesn't necessarily use modern weapons has a decent shot.

Its certainly far from easy, but there are ways, and Geralts foremost asset is he can figure out these strategies at a moments notice and employ them.

But this is supposed to be a completely random battle. I know nothing about Geralt or the Witcher series in general so I have a question for NorCal or someone else versed in the series.

Does Geralt usually wear his sword and armor? If he does and has to disrobe and leave it on the battlefield the Magneto could still use it. If he leaves it completely behind then I can see him winning.

I can be swayed but right now I'm leaning towards Magneto winning with a flurry of metal Geralt left on the side of the battlefield

But this is supposed to be a completely random battle.

Well I don't think it would take protracted research to figure out magneto controls metal, don't be an idiot :lmao:

Also, note I said "at a moments notice" . it doesn't take exactly Batman or van Helsing to figure out "looks like the steel is out for this one"

Thank you for completely not answering my question.

It would be laying on the battlefield. Whether Geralt is wearing it or not Magneto could send it flying around Geralt distracting him and possibly landing a battle ending blow with Geralt's own sword or armor.

Can still be swayed but it's gonna take more than that.

Thank you for completely not answering my question.

It would be laying on the battlefield. Whether Geralt is wearing it or not Magneto could send it flying around Geralt distracting him and possibly landing a battle ending blow with Geralt's own sword or armor.

Can still be swayed but it's gonna take more than that.

Your welcome, since your question wasn't part of your original post, and you know that, so I'm unsure as to why you are being an asshat.

Sure the armour and swords would be on the battlefield, but that's what Geralts quen sign is for....a force field shield which not only blocks but redirects and returns projectiles. Now I can't make a solid argument that its ability to return projectiles to sender would be stronger than magneto control of them, but he can easily block them at the least.

If he must, he can melt them down with his igni sign, which is basically napalm shot from his hands.

Your welcome, since your question wasn't part of your original post, and you know that, so I'm unsure as to why you are being an asshat.
I thought I got my edit done in time, my apologies for being an asshat
Sure the armour and swords would be on the battlefield, but that's what Geralts quen sign is for....a force field shield which not only blocks but redirects and returns projectiles. Now I can't make a solid argument that its ability to return projectiles to sender would be stronger than magneto control of them, but he can easily block them at the least.

If he must, he can melt them down with his igni sign, which is basically napalm shot from his hands.
Well this makes it a much more difficult choice for me. I'm gonna sit back and read the arguments from everyone else on both sides because I'm right in the middle and if I still am come voting I just won't vote. I can't in good conscience vote one way or the other when I'm split down the middle.

I still don't know how Geralt is going to strip from his armor before Magneto uses it to crunch him. Or how he's going to avoid getting very quickly impaled by his own swords.

In my eyes this is just a really crappy draw for Geralt, another case of a potential winner being just drawing one of the few guys that can beat him.

Geralt has a chance. Hell, I'd even say that if he had knowledge of Magneto beforehand, he'd most certainly win, but he doesn't. JGlass is right, this is a crappy drawing for Geralt. IMO, once Geralt realizes, "HE CONTROLS METAL!!!!", it'll be too late. As soon as Magneto sees Geralt, he's going to start manipulating the metal he has.

I like Geralt a lot, but he's met his end in Magneto.

He wouldnt know to leave the gear behind before being transported. At best, he would have to start dropping it all once Magneto lifts him in the air or starts crushing his armor around him. Geralt may have a shield of his own, but nothing Geralt has is likely to penetrate Magneto's defense.

I dont see a way out for Geralt here.

He'd definitely activate a Quen shield immediately, but I'd imagine it would be broken once Magneto starts attacking. The Jean Grey School is nearby and full of metal, and Magneto could start chucking shit at him almost immediately though he'd more likely go for the swords and attempt to impale Geralt on them. The first strike will break the shield, the second will kill Geralt.

I'm trying to imagine a way Geralt could get some offense off. He'd have to be wearing non-metalic armor, which is somewhat unusual for Geralt but certainly not unheard of. We'd also have to assume that when Magneto breaks Quen, Geralt's swords will be knocked away (and if I'm being fair, I can't imagine they'd be knocked far when Magneto is controlling them), and then Geralt could start throwing bombs at Magneto. However, throwing area of effect items on this field would probably piss off Krakoa and cause him to attack, which by my estimate only gives Magneto time to gather more metal and launch a more powerful attack.

Geralt doesn't exclusively wear metal armor, and he would know exactly what kind of threat he's facing by taking on Magneto. To Geralt, Magneto is the equivalent to an epic-level Terramancer.

I think it's fair to believe that, given his connections, Geralt would be aware of the fact that anything magnetic would be dangerous to wear or utilize in this match.

As far as armor, Ofieri scale armor contains no metal and wearing it intensifies Geralt's abilities with magic. Another non-metal armor item I'm sure he would also opt to wear is Toussaint Ducal Guard Captain's Trousers, which grant him increased resistance to piercing, bludgeoning and slashing damage on top of an extra 400 points of vitality. Both armors are made of leather and gem dust.

Certain other armors are made of made up of metallic components that were invented for the game, which I'm willing to believe are vulnerable to magnetism in that there's no data on the subject available.

As far as swords go.

Geralt would need to disrobe and rely entirely on his signs(powers) because he is fresh the fuck out of luck with his swords.

*facepalm*

Norcal, Dear. There's a method in place to test if you possess genuine silver, and it's called the "Magnet Test". If a magnet sticks, you know it's not genuine silver. Magneto has been stopped by sentinels made of non-ferrous metals, thus he's not able to control anything that qualifies as metal.

Geralt would need to ditch his steel sword, which is a moot point because Geralt wouldn't use a steel sword on an opponent who's obviously a mutant like himself.

Geralt would have to ditch his crossbow option, in that they all contain some type of iron ore.

I'm going with Geralt on this one, mainly because he has the ability to use Axii (mind control) magic. He's used this ability to tip fights in his favor when fighting warriors of The Wild Hunt, these individuals wear armor from head to toe. Magneto's helmet isn't going to stop Geralt from giving him a massive brain dump in the middle of the battle.

Magneto can't fly because after being influenced by the Axii sign he's not sure of what year this is, and is annihilated by any pick of Geralt's silver sword options.

To quote Wayne's world

"I was not aware of that"

Well there it is, all of you can fuck off. Silver isn't magnetic, and he can use his silver sword against magneto.

I made the point about the different non metal armour (the viper armour being my personal favorite of the game) but I can see arguments against that being his "default" armour so to speak.

With silver swords and non metallic armour, the major arguments for magneto are not nearly as strong.

I was unaware Geralt had nonmagnetic swords and armor. That coupled with what I've learned from Norcal I'm going to have to change who I'm voting for.

Magneto will see a metal sword and try to do what he does best and when he can't he'll have to come up with a new game plan and pull metal from the surrounding area but from what I've learned Geralt can throw a shield up fairly quickly. Besides if someone is swinging a silver sword trying to take your head of it would be rather difficult to throw giant pieces of metal and the tiny pieces would bounce off Geralt's shield. Not being able to use his standard MO will cost Magneto this match.

Jglass & Doc if it's needed please consider this my write in vote for Geralt

If Magneto's helmet can stop Xavier from getting in his head, im sure Geralt will fail there.

No prep means Geralt cannot go change clothes. Sure he may have silver weapons, but there is still plenty of steel he has to be used against him. He would have to break Magnetos defensive shield & I dont see that happening, so his silver sword really isnt a big help.

All in all, Magneto would have to take off his helmet, forget his shield & become oblivious to anything in the Mansion that he can control. The likelihood of all that happening is very slim.

Metal is mostly non-magnetic. Iron, steel, nickel and another one. Cobalt, I think. Geralt has a whole host of weapons that are not made of these things. I would assume that the location being where most of Magneto's enemies hang out would be something of a distraction.

Another reason I'm voting for Geralt is because the start of X-Men 2 is the most bullshit pseudoscience in the world, and I actually use it as a teaching aid to show kids why films are nonsense. I'm happy to suspend disbelief entirely. Superman can fly? Sure. Magneto can manipulate magnetic options? Fine. But don't try and make it seem 'realistic' when it so blatantly isn't.

That still leaves his steel sword, though, as well as the metal at the nearby school. The idea of Geralt having to fend off attacks from a floating steel sword is pretty appealing, though.

Now that Geralt has a weapon with killing power (I don't think any of his magic has the ability to put down Magneto), the fight really depends on Magneto's multitasking skills. Can he fend off Geralt and pull more metal into the field of play at the same time?

Another thought occurs: if he breaks Geralt's steel sword into dozens of sharp shard and just continuously pelts Geralt with them, Geralt will have very little defense against this beyond an initial Quen which would surely burst shortly after the attack begins.

Another reason I'm voting for Geralt is because the start of X-Men 2 is the most bullshit pseudoscience in the world, and I actually use it as a teaching aid to show kids why films are nonsense. I'm happy to suspend disbelief entirely. Superman can fly? Sure. Magneto can manipulate magnetic options? Fine. But don't try and make it seem 'realistic' when it so blatantly isn't.

Curious: which part specifically are you referring to? The part when he rips the iron out of the dude's blood?

If Magneto's helmet can stop Xavier from getting in his head, I'm sure Geralt will fail there.

Xavier uses an innate ability to reads minds and access memories, telepathic abilities are specifically what Magneto's helmet prevents. Geralt's Axii sign isn't an attempt to read minds, it's sorcery which only requires that Geralt be within a certain proximity of his target.

Spoiler alert; here's a vid of what happened when Imlerith thought that his helmet was adequate protection against Geralt's sorcery.

[YOUTUBE]7f8NZMq746s[/YOUTUBE]

No prep means Geralt cannot go change clothes. Sure he may have silver weapons, but there is still plenty of steel he has to be used against him. He would have to break Magnetos defensive shield & I don't see that happening, so his silver sword really isn't a big help.

Ofieri scale armor is readily available in the game, so I'd only be convinced by an argument stating why Geralt would choose not to wear it. I imagine that Geralt would have learned by now that his sign powers give him a huge advantage at this point, thus he would be inclined to wear armor that enhances his sign abilities.

If Magneto is concentrating his power on a defensive shield, then his concentration regarding an attempt to do anything else will be weakened. On top of that, experiments have been done with heating magnets to reduce their magnetic properties. This link contains an in-depth discussion, but what's really telling is when Virginia mentions that she had baked a magnet at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for fifteen minutes and its magnetic properties were greatly reduced. Geralt has an ability called "melt armor" with his Igni sign, to melt iron you would need to heat it to 2,800 degrees Fahrenheit. Magneto's powers would be rendered useless, and he'd be fried in the process.

All in all, Magneto would have to take off his helmet, forget his shield & become oblivious to anything in the Mansion that he can control. The likelihood of all that happening is very slim.

I highly doubt that the mansion and the grounds surrounding it would employ too many magnetic metals given that they're well aware of Magneto's powers.

Magneto could cover himself from head to toe with the same metal used to make his helmet and surround himself with a sphere of protection, it all fails when Geralt renders the magnetic properties of those materials inert with his Igni sign.

That still leaves his steel sword, though, as well as the metal at the nearby school. The idea of Geralt having to fend off attacks from a floating steel sword is pretty appealing, though.

Oh good grief. Do vampires keep a bunch of crosses and garlic around their dwellings? Seriously; why in the fuck would Xavier keep magnetic metal anywhere near the grounds of his school?

Now that Geralt has a weapon with killing power (I don't think any of his magic has the ability to put down Magneto), the fight really depends on Magneto's multitasking skills. Can he fend off Geralt and pull more metal into the field of play at the same time?

Magneto will have a really difficult time pulling ferrous metals into the field, given that my earlier point makes sense to me at least. Professor Xavier is smarter than the average paraplegic, and I'm sure it's occurred to him that keeping magnetic materials around his school would give a huge advantage to his principal rival.

Geralt isn't the type of hunter who teases his prey, he won't give Magneto a chance to do anything except fend him off.

Another thought occurs: if he breaks Geralt's steel sword into dozens of sharp shards and just continuously pelts Geralt with them, Geralt will have very little defense against this beyond an initial Quen which would surely burst shortly after the attack begins.

louis-ck.gif

Hey buddy, sensible players of Witcher 3 like to invest some ability points into the Quen sign. The Quen ability called "Active Shield" allows the shield to persist past the point of being hit once, and I for one was sure to invest in the Quen sign ability called "Quen Discharge". Quen Discharge reflects damage done to Geralt back on his attacker, combined with Active Shield and you have a pretty potent defense against anyone who intends to peck you with shards of metal.

Well enviousdominous has done a damn good job of arguing for Geralt. I have to say that now I'm leaning towards Geralt. I still haven't made up my mind completely. A great argument either way will sway me.

*facepalm*

Norcal, Dear. There's a method in place to test if you possess genuine silver, and it's called the "Magnet Test". If a magnet sticks, you know it's not genuine silver. Magneto has been stopped by sentinels made of non-ferrous metals, thus he's not able to control anything that qualifies as metal.

Geralt would need to ditch his steel sword, which is a moot point because Geralt wouldn't use a steel sword on an opponent who's obviously a mutant like himself.

Geralt would have to ditch his crossbow option, in that they all contain some type of iron ore.

I'm going with Geralt on this one, mainly because he has the ability to use Axii (mind control) magic. He's used this ability to tip fights in his favor when fighting warriors of The Wild Hunt, these individuals wear armor from head to toe. Magneto's helmet isn't going to stop Geralt from giving him a massive brain dump in the middle of the battle.

Magneto can't fly because after being influenced by the Axii sign he's not sure of what year this is, and is annihilated by any pick of Geralt's silver sword options.

Magneto can control non-ferrous metals casually I'm afraid. And normal every day non-metal things with enough concentration which allows him to fly and levitate others at times when no one's wearing enough metal to do it more easily. Magneto also has extreme resistance to mental control, even without the helmet. Only the strongest of the strongest telepathic attacks will work on him. I haven't played enough of the Witcher to know, but I have doubts that Axii could match Charles Xavier.

Magneto's power over magnetic fields is insane, even on the atomic level. The man can generate his own EMPs.

Your Magneto is weak. Mine is strong.

As far as JGlass bringing up the multi tasking thing... He can rip buildings to scrap & make the parts into a new building if he chooses. Check.

Now, for the guy in the Beakmans World t-shirt. You mean to tell me that Greybeard is going to melt the magnetism away from each piece of metal coming at him or in his sight? Before Magneto has a chance to get just one single piece under his control & coming at Geralt? The guy took out a squad of dudes with a fucking necklace in a matter of seconds. As far as him melting Magneto in the process of this Olympic sized flamethrower trick.... Magneto took some hits from Cyclops, Galactus, Phoenix and others who I am sure burn hotter than your boys fireworks.

Oh and while you may have a point about Xavier using certain building materials, you should know that was kind of blown to shit considering he rebuilt the mansion in the last movie. Regardless, too many things within logical reach for Magneto to use. Plus when Magneto sees the smaller stuff wont break through, what is stopping him from just morphing a hunk of whatever into a sphere surrounding Geralt & his quen shield?

From there he can shake him around, just like Hulk in your Alucard/Wolverine post or he can just shrink it till he is crushed. If he wanted to be a dick, he could just leave his shiny new ball in the yard & go have a snack. Geralt either burns to death trying to melt his way out or he suffocates.

Game over. Best part is he does all this from a safe distance because your boy isnt getting close. By the time he figures out what Magneto can do & how to react, his life is over.

I'd like to start this post by telling you that I know more than you about both these subjects.

Oh good grief. Do vampires keep a bunch of crosses and garlic around their dwellings? Seriously; why in the fuck would Xavier keep magnetic metal anywhere near the grounds of his school?

Magneto will have a really difficult time pulling ferrous metals into the field, given that my earlier point makes sense to me at least. Professor Xavier is smarter than the average paraplegic, and I'm sure it's occurred to him that keeping magnetic materials around his school would give a huge advantage to his principal rival.

It's not Xavier's School. It's the Jean Grey School, which was built and run by Wolverine long after Magneto finished being an asshole and started being a good(ish) guy. By the time Wolverine built this school, Magneto was no more of a threat to his staff and students than Cyclops or Emma Frost... which is to say that they weren't exactly welcome at the school, but it was known that they wouldn't harm anyone there.

Geralt isn't the type of hunter who teases his prey, he won't give Magneto a chance to do anything except fend him off.

What does this even mean? You think he can act so quickly that Magneto won't be able to get up a force field or fly in the air so that Geralt cannot reach him with his sword?

As Geralt would say: mistake. Magneto ha fought too many battles to not protect himself first and foremost. He will put off attacking Geralt until he has assured himself that he is a safe distance from Geralt.

Once Magneto takes to the skies, there's really nothing Geralt can do.

Hey buddy, sensible players of Witcher 3 like to invest some ability points into the Quen sign. The Quen ability called "Active Shield" allows the shield to persist past the point of being hit once, and I for one was sure to invest in the Quen sign ability called "Quen Discharge". Quen Discharge reflects damage done to Geralt back on his attacker, combined with Active Shield and you have a pretty potent defense against anyone who intends to peck you with shards of metal.

Hey buddy, I know you picked up Witcher 3 like, a month ago, but I've actually played through the entire game. And I've played Witcher 2.

Even if you invest in Quen upgrades (which I did), the shield still breaks pretty quickly when fighting a strong enemy (which Magneto is). Furthermore, Quen Discharge only reflects damage back on melee attackers, and it's only a percentage of the damage.

Magneto will be floating high above the field of battle in his force field, having a cloud of steel shards cut through Geralt as many times as he has to before Geralt lays dead on the ground.

This is really not a hard battle for Magneto at all, the more I think about it.

Magneto can control non-ferrous metals casually I'm afraid. And normal every day non-metal things with enough concentration which allows him to fly and levitate others at times when no one's wearing enough metal to do it more easily.

If Magneto's life depended on it, could he manipulate non-metal things? Let's find out:

img_1359.png

Magneto also has extreme resistance to mental control, even without the helmet. Only the strongest of the strongest telepathic attacks will work on him. I haven't played enough of the Witcher to know, but I have doubts that Axii could match Charles Xavier.

At higher levels, Axii is powerful enough to make any opponent chill the fuck out. It's actually a wildcard tactic you can use if you're up against an opponent who's not giving you an inch. Geralt isn't trying to delve into your childhood memories, the sign dulls your instinctual hostility toward him.

Magneto's power over magnetic fields is insane, even on the atomic level. The man can generate his own EMPs.

And that would be awesome for Magneto if he was up against an opponent who would just stand there out of idiotic curiosity to see what he's up to. Magneto doesn't realign the directions of atoms in a split second on a whim, he has to concentrate.

Geralt can cast a jet of flash freezing wind with sign language, that's a little distracting.

Your Magneto is weak. Mine is strong.

Your Magneto had to be retconned because Marvel needed to sell magazines, and he's still not beating Geralt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back