Rock Region, Los Angeles Subregion, First Round:(16)Big Boss Man vs.(17)Dory Funk Jr.

Who Wins This Match?

• Big Boss Man

• Dory Funk Jr.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Los Angeles Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Target Center in Los Angeles, California.

staplescenter_0.jpg

tumblr_maadig3uJg1rg89a6o1_500.jpg

#16. Big Boss Man

Vs.

funk-doryjr03.jpg

#17. Dory Funk Jr.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Gonna vote for Dory here.

Bossman is an underrated talent who moved well for a big man during his prime, but he will probably be best remembered for his awful feuds with Big Show and Al Snow.

Dory held the NWA Title for four years. That alone trumps any of Bossman's accomplishments in my eyes.

is an underrated talent who moved well for a big man during his prime, but he will probably be best remembered for his awful feuds with Big Show and Al Snow.

So not his matches with Hogan, or his time tagging with Akeem, or the time in WCW feuding with the entirety of the nWo? And, even during the time with the Corporation, it fit his gimmick well, and he made it work for him. Like you said too, he was a great big man, and moved very well in the ring.

I'm not knocking any of Dory's accomplishments, and I'm not saying I'm voting for Bossman, but, to me at least, there is a grey area where I can be pulled one way or the other.

Nah, NSL, Boss Man was at most a regional wrestler and a career mid carder. Dory Funk Jr. was one of the NWA's great touring champions whose drawing power created a well that lasted 4 years. I've heard the criticisms of Dory that he mostly got his position because of the internal political influence of his father, and that does have some truth to it. But the NWA as a group had to come to the unanimous consensus to put the title on Dory and to keep it there year after year. The man was red hot. Hotter than Boss Man could have ever hoped to be. Dory logged more miles than any other NWA champion. And Lou Thesz is documented at logging over 2 million miles during his tenure. That should give you an idea of how well traveled and successful the man was.

Also Ric Flair in an interview, IIRC with Austin, named Dory Funk Jr as being a better champion than Bruno Sammartino. His opinion, but it should show you the kind of respect Dory truly had.

This match is a no brainer. Dory wins and it's not close.

I'm not taking away anything Dory did, or accomplished as champion. And, the argument about Boss Man being "regional" is almost invalid to me, since I grew up in that region, and he was fucking huge there.

My argument, simply, is that taking away all accomplishments and just putting these two in a ring, toe-to-toe, Boss Man could certainly hold his own, and I could see him coming out on top.

I'm not taking away anything Dory did, or accomplished as champion. And, the argument about Boss Man being "regional" is almost invalid to me, since I grew up in that region, and he was fucking huge there.

My argument, simply, is that taking away all accomplishments and just putting these two in a ring, toe-to-toe, Boss Man could certainly hold his own, and I could see him coming out on top.

Uh.. how exactly? Do I have to point out that to even be NWA champion back then you had to be at the highest tier of performer and wrestler? Based on that logic I can argue Kane over anyone from his era because he beat everyone from his era. Doesn't mean he would go over. Boss Man being huge in one region doesn't mean he could hang with and potentially go over a globally known world champion.

Uh.. how exactly? Do I have to point out that to even be NWA champion back then you had to be at the highest tier of performer and wrestler? Based on that logic I can argue Kane over anyone from his era because he beat everyone from his era. Doesn't mean he would go over. Boss Man being huge in one region doesn't mean he could hang with and potentially go over a globally known world champion.

You missed the whole point of my argument. I'm not arguing Wrestler A won this, and Wrestler B did this. I'm saying, based on pure wrestling skill, along with things like size and strength and other similar attributes, there's an argument to be made for Boss Man. If he doesn't win, he doesn't win, but I'll support my vote until this thread is closed.

The HOF may sway some unknowing voters this year, but this is all Funk. Without looking it up I cannot remember any titles besides the tag run with Shamrock & a few WWF Hardcore title wins that the guy had. Not once during his prime do I recall him holding a single belt.

Dory was the damn man. He held a major title & kept it by beating guys who are better than Bossman. This should not be a close vote as long as everyone takes off their HOF rose colored glasses.

My gut reaction was to vote for the World Champion and so I voted for Funk. I'm not really sure I should have though. Funk became the champion thanks largely to his father's politicking in the NWA as opposed to his talent. That's not to say he didn't have talent, he did, but don't blindly assume he was brilliant just because he was the world champion. He also, again thanks largely to his father, refused to drop the title to Jack Brisco. Not cool.

Bossman is the only wrestler to have played a major role in the three most dominant wrestling promotion golden periods - Hulkamania, nWo era WCW and Attitude Era WWF. He was consistently popular, despite having quite a corny gimmick. Egh, I don't regret voting Funk, but it's not as clear as it initially seems.

My gut reaction was to vote for the World Champion and so I voted for Funk. I'm not really sure I should have though. Funk became the champion thanks largely to his father's politicking in the NWA as opposed to his talent. That's not to say he didn't have talent, he did, but don't blindly assume he was brilliant just because he was the world champion. He also, again thanks largely to his father, refused to drop the title to Jack Brisco. Not cool.

Bossman is the only wrestler to have played a major role in the three most dominant wrestling promotion golden periods - Hulkamania, nWo era WCW and Attitude Era WWF. He was consistently popular, despite having quite a corny gimmick. Egh, I don't regret voting Funk, but it's not as clear as it initially seems.

I'm not sure I can forgive you for this injustice :p

I get why people are voting for Funk, but I feel like Bossman's popularity and ability in the ring is poorly remembered, and that's a shame. If he can go toe-to-toe with Hogan, he can certainly do the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back