Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Round One...

8b5s4jn.png

In what's sure to be a colorful one, the wascally wabbit Bugs takes on Nintendo's ray of sunshine, Mario! The bunny has many tricks up his sleeve, but Mario has plenty to answer back with. Only one of these competitors can make it to round two. Who will it be?

FIGHT!

Do you know how you hurt Mario? You touch him. If it's small Mario, he literally dies when his opponent TOUCHES him. Bugs on the other hand has managed to survive being struck by lightning and can dodge bullets, which would be much faster than the fireballs Mario can shoot. This really shouldn't be a contest but for some reason Mario is beloved despite having the resilience of tissue.

Bugs Bunny is the ultimate wildcard. Crazy durability.

Mario, meanwhile, as KB so astutely pointed out , dies from being touched. He is like opposite world rogue .

Vote Bugs.

I don't necessarily agree with the above views on Mario's durability, but in my eyes, that doesn't even matter. Killing animals is what Mario does. He's going to see Bugs Bunny, be like, "Better jump on that shit til it's dead," and then go find some other animal to jump on.

I don't necessarily agree with the above views on Mario's durability, but in my eyes, that doesn't even matter. Killing animals is what Mario does. He's going to see Bugs Bunny, be like, "Better jump on that shit til it's dead," and then go find some other animal to jump on.

Mario kills mindless servants who often times have nothing better to do than walk back and forth in a line without even being able to turn left or right. Bugs is far more intelligent than anyone Mario has fought before (considering that Mario's top enemy is the eternally stupid Bowser) and is going to be able to come up with some plans that take far more skill to counter than "I'll jump on your head".

Jumping on the heads of things doesn't always work out for Mario. Why should it with Bugs? Dude is a tactician of the most legendary level. Is Mario going to use a ? Block? Bugs would rig that shit with explosives. One good smack across the face or "jump on his head" and Bugs goes into War Mode. I said it before last tournament and I will say it again. Bugs Bunny is almost too OP for a battle royale. He is Groucho Marx and General Patton. A goddamn war machine who outwits the Looney Tunes Universe on a consistent basis. Can he outwit Mario? Mario isn't known for his smarts. He is known for running around and hitting things until he can get to the next level. Bugs is brighter, and more versatile. With every Tanooki suit, star, mushroom, 1+Up, etc that Mario has to run around and get, Bugs can set the most ludicrous traps such as anvils, bear traps, hammers, TNT, etc. Mario cannot survive The Looney Toon World. Can Bugs survive the Mario world? Well since Bowser leaves a fucking hatchet right next to a bridge for Mario to take and cut the bridge right out from under the fucker's feet, I think Bugs beats every single villain in Mario's world by a landslide. Mario isn't equipped to face a smart adversary. Bugs is one of the smartest competitors imaginable.

Mario kills mindless servants who often times have nothing better to do than walk back and forth in a line without even being able to turn left or right. Bugs is far more intelligent than anyone Mario has fought before (considering that Mario's top enemy is the eternally stupid Bowser) and is going to be able to come up with some plans that take far more skill to counter than "I'll jump on your head".

You call Mario's enemies stupid, but have you seen what Bugs is working with? Daffy Duck? Yosemite Sam? Elmer Fudd? Even Marvin the Martian with all his advanced technology is a big ol' dope.

Bugs Bunny is the ultimate conman in a world where all his marks are gullible buffoons. Put him against someone who wouldn't fall for his shenanigans (and assuming they have an IQ of above like, 50, they should be fine), and Bugs is going to run out of tricks pretty quickly.

You call Mario's enemies stupid, but have you seen what Bugs is working with? Daffy Duck? Yosemite Sam? Elmer Fudd? Even Marvin the Martian with all his advanced technology is a big ol' dope.

Bugs Bunny is the ultimate conman in a world where all his marks are gullible buffoons. Put him against someone who wouldn't fall for his shenanigans (and assuming they have an IQ of above like, 50, they should be fine), and Bugs is going to run out of tricks pretty quickly.

Bugs Bunny has outsmarted Adolf Hitler, who was able to convince the world it needed a second World War. Although he was a madman, I'd wager Hitler's IQ was above 50.

Indeed they are, but there's a difference: Bowser always gets the better of Mario at first because Mario is stupid enough to let him capture Peach. How many times has Mario just stood there and let Bowser run off to another castle? You're right that Bugs' opponents aren't great but they're smarter than "take the girl and leave".

Indeed he is, though again I'd like to point out how easy it is to hurt Mario. Those stupid enemies he faces touch him and he dies. Mario may be able to jump and move well, but his defenses are some of the weakest of all time. He has no armor (outside of Metal Mario and that's not what we're talking about here) and he isn't known for being a strategist. Mario is little more than someone who charges head first at a problem and hopes for the best, despite often failing along the way. Bugs is more than smart enough to pull off a win against someone with such a simple style.

The biggest question for me is; who has what it takes to end a fight?

Bugs has taken on all kinds of opponents, but he doesn't do more to them than dick around and annoy them. He doesn't seem to have the instinct necessary to finish his opponent, because that would spoil all the fun he had planned for them.

Mario is a killer, he kills anything in his way that looks remotely threatening. Being touched may kill him at a certain point, but don't go thinking that he's unaware of that reality. If he gets that star, he goes on a full blown rampage stomping through everything.

While Bugs has the reflexes of a rabbit, Mario proved in Mario 64 that he can outrun and catch a fleeing rabbit. The difference between Mario and Elmer Fudd is that Mario isn't trying to be subtle about anything, he's coming for you and you're probably not going to get away from him.

Bugs is a nuisance, Mario takes down entire airships. I see Mario getting trounced and having his ass set on fire a few times, up until getting any of his many power-ups and going all "WHAT MOTHERFUCKER!?" on Bugs.

Indeed they are, but there's a difference: Bowser always gets the better of Mario at first because Mario is stupid enough to let him capture Peach. How many times has Mario just stood there and let Bowser run off to another castle? You're right that Bugs' opponents aren't great but they're smarter than "take the girl and leave".

I don't think Mario is the one responsible for Peach's kidnapping, he's just the guy they call in for the rescue. I'm pretty sure Peach's army of Toads are the ones that are responsible for it.

Indeed he is, though again I'd like to point out how easy it is to hurt Mario. Those stupid enemies he faces touch him and he dies. Mario may be able to jump and move well, but his defenses are some of the weakest of all time. He has no armor (outside of Metal Mario and that's not what we're talking about here) and he isn't known for being a strategist. Mario is little more than someone who charges head first at a problem and hopes for the best, despite often failing along the way. Bugs is more than smart enough to pull off a win against someone with such a simple style.

Your using one genre of Mario games to assess his durability when there are several other versions of Mario appearances where he does not die after one hit. In perhaps his most popular appearance, Mario 64, Mario takes several hits before dying. Then of course there's the Super Smash Bros series where he is generally a middle of the road character when it comes to how much damage he can take before he's easily KO'd (more than lighter characters like Kirby or Pikachu, less than heavier characters like DK or Ganondorf).

As for strategy, Mario doesn't need strategy for this particular fight. He sees animal, he jumps on head of animal/shoots animal with fireballs until animal is dead, then moves on to next animal.

I don't think Mario is the one responsible for Peach's kidnapping, he's just the guy they call in for the rescue. I'm pretty sure Peach's army of Toads are the ones that are responsible for it.

True but he is the one who allows Bowser and company to keep running away with her. Bugs would have three disguises and jokes to go with it. He's versatile that way, unlike Mario who stands there watching, likely trying to come up with a way to bill this as a plumbing expense.

Your using one genre of Mario games to assess his durability when there are several other versions of Mario appearances where he does not die after one hit. In perhaps his most popular appearance, Mario 64, Mario takes several hits before dying.

True. Three I believe. That's such a difference.

Then of course there's the Super Smash Bros series where he is generally a middle of the road character when it comes to how much damage he can take before he's easily KO'd (more than lighter characters like Kirby or Pikachu, less than heavier characters like DK or Ganondorf).

Or he can die from falling once.

As for strategy, Mario doesn't need strategy for this particular fight. He sees animal, he jumps on head of animal/shoots animal with fireballs until animal is dead, then moves on to next animal.

This is the same misguided logic that gave us CM Punk b. Andre the Giant. While Mario is jumping at Bugs or shooting at him, Bugs is just supposed to stand there waiting? Bugs is smarter than that and has proven himself to be so for over seventy years.

True but he is the one who allows Bowser and company to keep running away with her. Bugs would have three disguises and jokes to go with it. He's versatile that way, unlike Mario who stands there watching, likely trying to come up with a way to bill this as a plumbing expense.

In what way is it Mario's fault? As far as we know he's out pursuing one of his many other hobbies (go-karting, tennis, teaching middle school students how to type) when Peach is kidnapped. He's not a member of Peach's inner circle, he's not in the Toadstool army, it's not his job to protect Peach.

If Mario gets points off for Peach getting kidnapped so often, then Bugs gets points off for Benghazi. The connection is that neither one of them are at all responsible for these events.

True. Three I believe. That's such a difference.

Eight, actually.

Or he can die from falling once.

Are you saying it's a weakness of Mario's that he can die from falling down a bottomless pit? Wut?

This is the same misguided logic that gave us CM Punk b. Andre the Giant. While Mario is jumping at Bugs or shooting at him, Bugs is just supposed to stand there waiting? Bugs is smarter than that and has proven himself to be so for over seventy years.

Bugs goes right up to men with guns who are specifically hunting rabbits and casually stands there and chats them up. If Bugs tried that with anybody who wasn't actually an idiot (like Mario), then he'd be very quickly dispatched.

There's no reason to believe that once Mario starts attacking Bugs Bunny he can do anything to stop him. Mario has stood toe to toe with much bigger and badder opponents than Bugs Bunny and won.

In what way is it Mario's fault? As far as we know he's out pursuing one of his many other hobbies (go-karting, tennis, teaching middle school students how to type) when Peach is kidnapped. He's not a member of Peach's inner circle, he's not in the Toadstool army, it's not his job to protect Peach.

I'm talking about when he gets to the end of a castle, finds Peach and then stands there while Bowser runs off with her, such as in Super Mario Brothers on DS.

If Mario gets points off for Peach getting kidnapped so often, then Bugs gets points off for Benghazi. The connection is that neither one of them are at all responsible for these events.

If Mario really cares about Peach, he should know that Bowser is going to kidnap her over and over. That shows a lack of intelligence and/or common sense which is going to cost him.

Eight, actually.

Ah ah ah not quite. His health meter has eight units but a single hit from several enemies, including the first ones in the first world, take away three of those units, meaning three hits would kill him, just from those basic enemies touching him.

Are you saying it's a weakness of Mario's that he can die from falling down a bottomless pit? Wut?

I'm saying that a single shot can knock him into something that kills him. Just because he's durable doesn't mean he can't be taken down by a simple attack that puts him into a trap (or pit in this case), which is something Bugs excels at.

Bugs goes right up to men with guns who are specifically hunting rabbits and casually stands there and chats them up. If Bugs tried that with anybody who wasn't actually an idiot (like Mario), then he'd be very quickly dispatched.

How? By jumping on his head? That's really not much of an offense save for against the weakest of weak opponents.

There's no reason to believe that once Mario starts attacking Bugs Bunny he can do anything to stop him. Mario has stood toe to toe with much bigger and badder opponents than Bugs Bunny and won.

He's gone toe to toe with bigger and badder looking opponents and won. Those enemies have very predictable offensive patterns and are often taken down by mere stomps on the head. Bugs has survived lightning strikes and is possibly the least predictable character in this field (it's almost like he's looney).

Mario's world is one of predictability and Bugs turns that entire concept upside down, hence why he wins.

Mario has different types of jumps, spinning attack jumps, he also has different abilities if available including...

Fireballs
Star power invincibility
Ability to fly
Turn into a raccoon...
Ect, ect, ect various other picked up abilities...

Bugs Bunny can take a cartoon-like beating, can outwit anyone and simply conjure up weapons, costumes and such at will. Mario would be like the ultimate Elmer Fudd but Bugs Bunny would win in the end, like he usually does.

Bugs Bunny made a career out of outsmarting and getting the best of short men wearing distinctive hats like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam, who're far more durable than Mario is; all you have to do is touch Mario and it hurts him whereas Elmer & Sam have taken everything short of a nuclear blast and walked away. Bugs takes this and this fight being this close is a travesty.

I'm getting tired of the "all you have to do is touch Mario" argument. What if he was wearing Zap Tap Badge from Paper Mario? Congratulations, you now take damage by touching Mario and he evades your touch attack. Or what if he was wearing the Lazy Shell Armor from Super Mario RPG? It offers protection of 128 points, which is more than THREE TIMES as powerful as the next best pieces of defensive gear in that game. Mario's significantly more durable than Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam. Smarter and MUCH faster than any of them too. I give Mario the win. The right combination of badges would negate the traps that Bugs tries to set.

Mario doesn't start with anything that could protect him from getting touched. He is famously depicted in overalls, not some armor he gets in a turn based game. Bugs Bunny has the habit of pulling random shit out of the air to beat his enemies. Mario would have to run around collecting the things he needs to thwart Bugs. That's a severe disadvantage in a fight.

He is also a master of disguise and can look like Peach.

20130625-195039.jpg

Mario doesn't start with anything that could protect him from getting touched. He is famously depicted in overalls, not some armor he gets in a turn based game. Bugs Bunny has the habit of pulling random shit out of the air to beat his enemies. Mario would have to run around collecting the things he needs to thwart Bugs. That's a severe disadvantage in a fight.

He is also a master of disguise and can look like Peach.

20130625-195039.jpg

In the same games where he is famously depicted wearing said overalls, he faces an army of turtles. The Lazy Shell is a large red koopa shell. It's not a suit of plate mail we're talking about here so it would not be unreasonable for Mario to bring it along for a tournament knowing full well that opponents would try to use touch attacks. Going back on Mario's expertise on battling turtles, the character who was famous for winning more than once against Bugs was Cecil Turtle. Bugs can't win against turtles yet Mario knows more about defeating turtles than anybody.

Your argument of Mario not starting out with the Zap Tap Badge makes no sense here. It never said that Mario has to still be in world 1-1 form with nothing available for immediate use. In Smash Bros he does not have to hunt down a flower to use Fireballs. I get it that Bugs is smarter, and as far as your disguise argument I concede that point to Bugs. That may very well be how this ends if Bugs were to win. My point is that Mario would last longer than anyone using the "he will just die from being touched" argument has been making it sound. That argument is wrong. Really stupid too. Mario's not a mosquito and people are describing him as being as resilient as one.

In the same games where he is famously depicted wearing said overalls, he faces an army of turtles. The Lazy Shell is a large red koopa shell. It's not a suit of plate mail we're talking about here so it would not be unreasonable for Mario to bring it along for a tournament knowing full well that opponents would try to use touch attacks. Going back on Mario's expertise on battling turtles, the character who was famous for winning more than once against Bugs was Cecil Turtle. Bugs can't win against turtles yet Mario knows more about defeating turtles than anybody.

I'd argue that was the same as prepping, which is against the rules. He doesn't use it in fighting games where he faces Link, Solid Snake, or Samus Aran. Why all of a sudden would he take it with him now?

To take a line from JGlass in the Q&A Thread:

I'd argue that the idea is to treat the characters as they are most often portrayed. Otherwise you could argue that, say, Magneto has the Phoenix Force in him, or is jacked up on Mutant Growth Hormone.

And Cecil beat Bugs in a race, not an actual fight. You know that.

Your argument of Mario not starting out with the Zap Tap Badge makes no sense here. It never said that Mario has to still be in world 1-1 form with nothing available for immediate use.

Isn't hunting down items how he usually gets his weaponry?

In Smash Bros he does not have to hunt down a flower to use Fireballs.

I'm not making an argument for Fireballs, which is something Mario uses regularly. I'm arguing he is shown collecting what he needs more often then naught. To argue that would be to undermine a majority of Mario's gaming legacy.

I get it that Bugs is smarter, and as far as your disguise argument I concede that point to Bugs. That may very well be how this ends if Bugs were to win. My point is that Mario would last longer than anyone using the "he will just die from being touched" argument has been making it sound. That argument is wrong. Really stupid too. Mario's not a mosquito and people are describing him as being as resilient as one.

His most famous depiction is getting knocked out in 1 or 2 Hits. Nothing from a RPG, Battle Royale, or a sports game is going to rub that stink away. It's not wrong or stupid if that was the norm for more than a decade.

Hell if Mario has all his weapons already then he has his invincibility star and wins the whole tournament.

Hell if Mario has all his weapons already then he has his invincibility star and wins the whole tournament.

It's important to note that while arguing he has or can grab a Starman from a block during this tournament is a valid strategy, the Starman only lasts five to ten seconds. Even if he had the Starman, Bugs could use toon logic and walk away into the sky to avoid it.

Mario has shown sufficient weakness to be kidnapped before and he dies all the time when you play as him. Bugs never does.

Thanks Mario, but your tournament win is in another castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back