Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGlass

Unregistered User
Round Three...

84u2Opk.png

Stage: Predator Game Preserve

The Yautja have such an insatiable desire to hunt that they devoted an entire planet that they populate with abducted humans so that they can fill their blood lust. The planet is covered in jungles that represent the Amazon Rain Forest and oceans with extremely strong tides. It is here that our competitors find themselves locked in battle as D.Va, Korea's golden gaming girl, takes on Alduin, the consumer of souls. Will D.Va and her MEKA continue to do Overwatch fans proud, or will Alduin give the Elder Scrolls devotees something to cheer for in the quarter finals?

FIGHT!

D'Va going over Psycho Mantis was questionable, but not daft. D'Va going over the T-1000 was completely ludicrous though (and to be honest, I should have argued for Robert Patrick in the thread.)

Either way, there is no feasible way for D'Va to win this match. Her one shot at glory that got her past Mantis and the T-1000 is her suit self-destruct, which would do little to quell Alduin. It took divine intervention from the Aedra (basically the pantheon of gods in the Elder Scrolls universe, except there is 100% proof they exist) to stop Alduin the two times he possessed a omnipotent threat to all life itself in Mundus (not just Tamriel, the continent, but the entirety of the Elder Scrolls universe.)

What's more, D'Va's mech is capable of being taken out by a couple of rounds of ammunition by a Soldier 76 or a McCree, or so on. Alduin has more than enough strength to incinerate or crush the suit. D'Va has thrusters to try and avoid Alduin, but the moment she starts to attack with her weapons, her thrusters will cease, and she's a sitting duck for Alduin to punish her. In pilot form, while not completely hopeless, her pistol would be lucky to tickle Alduin. And without the abilities of her suit, the outcome would be inevitable.

Alduin wins, decisively. And the environment of a rain-forest, while perhaps more advantageous to the smaller opponent in D'Va, is nowhere near enough for her to win this.

D'Va going over Psycho Mantis was questionable, but not daft. D'Va going over the T-1000 was completely ludicrous though (and to be honest, I should have argued for Robert Patrick in the thread.)

Either way, there is no feasible way for D'Va to win this match. Her one shot at glory that got her past Mantis and the T-1000 is her suit self-destruct, which would do little to quell Alduin. It took divine intervention from the Aedra (basically the pantheon of gods in the Elder Scrolls universe, except there is 100% proof they exist) to stop Alduin the two times he possessed a omnipotent threat to all life itself in Mundus (not just Tamriel, the continent, but the entirety of the Elder Scrolls universe.)

What's more, D'Va's mech is capable of being taken out by a couple of rounds of ammunition by a Soldier 76 or a McCree, or so on. Alduin has more than enough strength to incinerate or crush the suit. D'Va has thrusters to try and avoid Alduin, but the moment she starts to attack with her weapons, her thrusters will cease, and she's a sitting duck for Alduin to punish her. In pilot form, while not completely hopeless, her pistol would be lucky to tickle Alduin. And without the abilities of her suit, the outcome would be inevitable.

Alduin wins, decisively. And the environment of a rain-forest, while perhaps more advantageous to the smaller opponent in D'Va, is nowhere near enough for her to win this.

I don't think it's nearly as clear cut as you do, but I think I've reached a similar conclusion. Though before I reach that conclusion, I do want to point out that I don't think the Aedra intervened in the 4th era fight against Alduin, at least not to nearly the same extent that they did in the 2nd era (I believe).

Anyway, here's my take on D.Va vs. Alduin.

Alduin has never stood up to machine gun fire. He's vulnerable to arrows, so we have no reason to doubt machine gun bullets wouldn't tear through him. I think Alduin could probably tank the machine gun fire for at least a minute, though, and that would give him time to spray fire or ice at D.Va, and potentially incapacitate her MEKA.

I think the stage is important to think about here as well. The Predator Game Reserve planet is mostly jungle, and if it's like the Amazon jungle that means the vegetation is thick. I see this being a hindrance to both competitors. D.Va's MEKA, while fairly nimble, can hardly maneuver around trees even with D.Va's reaction speed and dexterity. Similarly, Alduin won't be able to fly, or even walk through thick forestation. So unless these two have an unspoken agreement to fight in a clearing of some sort (which I doubt they will), this fight is going to be slow and messy.

Here's how I foresee this fight playing out.

D.Va will be in her MEKA walking carefully through the jungle, peering into the treetops for Alduin flying overhead. When he does fly overhead, she will spray machine gun fire at him, but she'll be aiming up and through branches and leaves, so how many of those bullets actually reach Alduin with meaningful velocity is questionable. Meanwhile, Alduin will probably spray fire and/or ice (and we know D.Va's defense matrix can't block ice or electricity, probably not fire either) into the forest, though again, I'm not sure if he'll be able to make good contact with D.Va. However, he may also decide to knock down the trees D.Va is walking through (he's destroyed stone towers, I'm sure he could knock down a tree), and that will force D.Va to dodge the falling trees. I doubt one tree falling on D.Va's MEKA would force her to eject, but if it takes damage from several falling trees, D.Va's MEKA could become too damaged and she'll be forced to eject. Once she's out of her MEKA she'll be able to run through the trees faster, but she'll also be much easier prey for Alduin.

The only way I can see D.Va being able to beat Alduin in this environment is by her dodging the dragon long enough to charge her self-destruct, then using her boosters to send her MEKA/bomb flying towards Alduin. If Alduin falls for this trick and snatches the MEKA in his claws, then he's done: the power of the self-destruct would easily kill him.

But I think it's more likely that Alduin attempts to breath fire or ice at the MEKA from a distance while in the air, or at most take a swipe at it with one of his wings and send it crashing back down to earth. Or he'll dodge it altogether, knowing that the closer he gets to those guns, the more damage they'll be able to do.

D.Va could keep repeating this so long as she can continue to dodge Alduin's attacks, but I suspect she'll run out of luck quickly, and eventually Alduin will be able to destroy D.Va's MEKA and her soon after.

Falk, tell me why I'm wrong.

I believe Fallout is missing a crucial part of D.Va's arsenal: the Defense Matrix ability. As I've stated in previous rounds, this thing can absorb practically everything. Bullets, projectiles, ultimate abilities... you name it, D.Va can absorb the damage output, and it'll fade away into nothing. Whatever Alduin can throw at D.Va, in terms of Fire Breath and Shouts, isn't completely out of the question. I mean, D.Va has to deal with the Dragons in Overwatch when fighting against Hanzo, a man who sends a powerful dragon arrow, complete with shout and everything, similar to what Alduin, or any Dragonborn, can accomplish... and D.Va can absorb it completely. Furthermore, should Alduin be able to hit D.Va with an attack, a majority of her health pool is armour, and most of her enemies that utilise anything closely related to magic do less damage to D.Va because of said armour.

I'd also like to differentiate the speed difference between Alduin and D.Va. Alduin might be a dragon, and when he takes to the skies, he's got some momentum, but he cannot match with D.Va's gaming senses, and reaction times. Should Alduin land on the ground for attacks, you can be certain that D.Va will be able to outmanoeuvre Alduin with her boosters when he goes for an attack (and even so, she has her Defense Matrix to absorb a lot of the damage). She'd be able to run circles around Alduin, and should Alduin go in for the sucker punch, the experienced gamer with her heightened skills should be able to detect it.

D.Va's infinite ammunition isn't something Alduin has never needed to deal with in his adventures. Arrows, shouts, and magic all run out eventually, but D.Va's bullets do not, and they pack quite the punch. If enough arrows can penetrate through the skin of Alduin, and kill him, it isn't that far out to believe her bullets can penetrate his skin, and take him down a peg.

I'd wager to argue that Alduin's only major advantage is his ability to keep to the skies, since D.Va won't be able to stay up in the air for the extended period, like Alduin. With D.Va's defense matrix, he won't be able to touch her, and should he come in for the swoop, she'll have her boosters ready for the dodge, and as an experienced gamer with heightened senses, she'll be able to move on a hair trigger.

HOWEVER - Hana Song was recruited to the Korean Army to take down massive abominations that were plaguing the cities, destroying everything. They sought after Hana because she was the best in her class for the position, and has managed to defend South Korea from these abominations. Such an abomination would be the size, and power, of Alduin. Sure, it took a God-like powers to level Alduin in the world of Skyrim, but in the world of Overwatch, the Self-Destruct of D.Va's MEKA was purpose built to take down these abominations in one fell swoop. I'm not sure who'd be smarter between a massive robot or a magical dragon, but I can argue that they'd be on the same length, since the robots in the OW world are sentient... so if D.Va can defeat such robots, with similar intelligence, in one hit, I cannot see how Alduin doesn't get taken down by the blast, or at least lose a lot of health with a few second stagger... in which time, D.Va gets an instant call of her MEKA after going for the self-destruct, in that few seconds of stagger, or distraction by the MEKA, D.Va won't be out of her MEKA.

So, in my arguments, all I can see is that Alduin takes to the skies, and uses the advantage of D.Va being unable to hit him. Once he hits the ground, D.Va can run circles around him, evade/absorb any of his attacks (pending on the attack), and can use her experience in gaming, and heightened sense of reaction time to take out Alduin... who, by the way, is a video game boss. D.Va's expertise is in video gaming, and taking out big things. Alduin fits in both categories.

I can concede passion, and bias, towards D.Va, and even after reading the arguments presented, I honestly do not understand how D.Va can lose this one.

I believe Fallout is missing a crucial part of D.Va's arsenal: the Defense Matrix ability. As I've stated in previous rounds, this thing can absorb practically everything. Bullets, projectiles, ultimate abilities... you name it, D.Va can absorb the damage output, and it'll fade away into nothing.

A few problems with this.

1: The Defence Matrix can't block everything. A continuous stream of something, even something as meek as Mei's Ice Blast or Winston's Tesla Cannon can get past the matrix. Fire is far less dense than ice, which furthers the possibility of it slipping through the Defence Matrix.

2: The defence matrix is only a temporary measure, and has a cooldown once abused to its full extent.

3: This does not defend her from the back. Which, while I doubt she would turn her back on Alduin, is still worth noting that the Defence Matrix doesn't cover her from all 360 degrees of assault.

4: She is completely defenceless whilst using the Defence Matrix.

Whatever Alduin can throw at D.Va, in terms of Fire Breath and Shouts, isn't completely out of the question. I mean, D.Va has to deal with the Dragons in Overwatch when fighting against Hanzo, a man who sends a powerful dragon arrow, complete with shout and everything, similar to what Alduin, or any Dragonborn, can accomplish... and D.Va can absorb it completely.

Gonna stop you there, because you're wrong. D'Va can only absorb Hanzo's ult if it's still in its projectile arrow phase. Once the arrow actually transforms into a dragon, D'Va gets devastated and can't block it. The reason D'Va works well against Hanzo is because Hanzo is a sniper character, and can take far, FAR less abuse than Alduin, whereas D'Va works best at close range.

Furthermore, should Alduin be able to hit D.Va with an attack, a majority of her health pool is armour, and most of her enemies that utilise anything closely related to magic do less damage to D.Va because of said armour.

There is no outright magic in Overwatch though. The closest thing to magic are Hanzo's ults and Reaper's abilities, which most likely have some kind of scientific explanation behind them. It's a highly futuristic world, but still based in the realms of reality, unlike Alduin's world. Funnily enough, as mentioned above, Hanzo's Ult cuts through D'Va like paper and Reaper is one of the most effective counters of D'Va.

As for Zenyatta, he's Magneto's wet dream.

I'd also like to differentiate the speed difference between Alduin and D.Va. Alduin might be a dragon, and when he takes to the skies, he's got some momentum, but he cannot match with D.Va's gaming senses, and reaction times. Should Alduin land on the ground for attacks, you can be certain that D.Va will be able to outmanoeuvre Alduin with her boosters when he goes for an attack (and even so, she has her Defense Matrix to absorb a lot of the damage). She'd be able to run circles around Alduin, and should Alduin go in for the sucker punch, the experienced gamer with her heightened skills should be able to detect it.

D'Va has good reaction times, that's true. But let's recognise that she as a person is doing little more than pressing buttons inside her suit to make the suit do things. And the suit itself, when not in the temporary thruster mode, is extremely slow. In a sense, the suit is almost a hindrance to her actual reaction abilities because there's a fair amount of disconnect between the suit speed, and her actual reaction speed. She probably has a feel for the suit's speed by now, but it's still two very different speeds trying to work with one another.

Running circles is probably an overstatement. Alduin isn't a slug when he's on the ground, and once D'Va's thrusters need to recharge, they do so for several seconds. More than enough time for Alduin to turn around, and destroy the suit in anyway he sees fit. All the heightened senses in the world wouldn't be enough for her to avoid Alduin's wrath when stuck in the slow suit.

D.Va's infinite ammunition isn't something Alduin has never needed to deal with in his adventures. Arrows, shouts, and magic all run out eventually, but D.Va's bullets do not, and they pack quite the punch. If enough arrows can penetrate through the skin of Alduin, and kill him, it isn't that far out to believe her bullets can penetrate his skin, and take him down a peg.

I think we need to recognise who is firing those arrows, shouting those shouts and performing that magic. It isn't some average Whiterun guard, it's Dovahkiin, who is in all essence, a demi-god and the one person perfectly equipped to deal with Alduin. The Dragonborn before the playable character in Skyrim was Tiber Septim, who eventually ascended to godhood as Talos, the god of man and war.

And I know arrows are still arrows, and magic is still magic, but if that's the case, why did it take divine intervention the first time, and the birth of someone perfectly equipped to deal with him the second time to actually stop him? Why is the entirety of Skyrim shitting themselves at his return, and basically hoping for a Dragonborn to stand any chance at all.

D'Va is gifted, very gifted. But she's no demi-goddess. And she's most definitely not perfectly equipped to deal with Alduin.

I'd wager to argue that Alduin's only major advantage is his ability to keep to the skies, since D.Va won't be able to stay up in the air for the extended period, like Alduin. With D.Va's defense matrix, he won't be able to touch her, and should he come in for the swoop, she'll have her boosters ready for the dodge, and as an experienced gamer with heightened senses, she'll be able to move on a hair trigger.

Except the Defence Matrix would do nothing, the boosters would only be a temporary solution, and her bullets are only effective at the closest of ranges, and even then, it takes a lot of them to take down even a Tracer, the hero with the least HP in Overwatch.

HOWEVER - Hana Song was recruited to the Korean Army to take down massive abominations that were plaguing the cities, destroying everything. They sought after Hana because she was the best in her class for the position, and has managed to defend South Korea from these abominations. Such an abomination would be the size, and power, of Alduin. Sure, it took a God-like powers to level Alduin in the world of Skyrim, but in the world of Overwatch, the Self-Destruct of D.Va's MEKA was purpose built to take down these abominations in one fell swoop. I'm not sure who'd be smarter between a massive robot or a magical dragon, but I can argue that they'd be on the same length, since the robots in the OW world are sentient... so if D.Va can defeat such robots, with similar intelligence, in one hit, I cannot see how Alduin doesn't get taken down by the blast, or at least lose a lot of health with a few second stagger... in which time, D.Va gets an instant call of her MEKA after going for the self-destruct, in that few seconds of stagger, or distraction by the MEKA, D.Va won't be out of her MEKA.

You over-estimate the strength of the self-destruct. It can't even take down a Roadhog if he's at maximum health. It does a set amount of damage at 500, which means heroes like Winston, Reinhardt and even another D'Va, if provided with assistance from Torbjorn armor or Symmetra shields, can survive it. And it's not that these people aren't tough characters, but I'd be willing to bet the World Eater and the Nordic God of destruction, is more than a few categories ahead of them with regards to bulk.

And let's not take out of the equation Alduin's size and strength. If D'Va were to self-destruct, he could easily swat the suit away. Not that the self-destruct would do much to Alduin anyway, but it's something the T-1000 couldn't do at least. Psycho Mantis probably could have, but it would have really depended on the arena whether or not it was effective.

So, in my arguments, all I can see is that Alduin takes to the skies, and uses the advantage of D.Va being unable to hit him. Once he hits the ground, D.Va can run circles around him, evade/absorb any of his attacks (pending on the attack), and can use her experience in gaming, and heightened sense of reaction time to take out Alduin... who, by the way, is a video game boss. D.Va's expertise is in video gaming, and taking out big things. Alduin fits in both categories.

The way I see it, Alduin takes to the air, D'Va attempts to avoid Alduin's death from above with her boosters, and general cover from the rainforest. Alduin lands, D'Va attempts to run circles around him, and Alduin clamps down onto the MEKA with his jaws, so D'Va ejects from the suit and attempts a self-destruct. Alduin throws the suit to a safe distance, D'Va tries to use the pistol on him whilst waiting for another MEKA, and Alduin has a Korean barbecue while D'Va waits for her new mech.

Yes, Alduin is a video game boss. But it took a Dragonborn to take him out. D'Va is not a Dragonborn.

I can concede passion, and bias, towards D.Va, and even after reading the arguments presented, I honestly do not understand how D.Va can lose this one.

I appreciate the passion for her, I love D'Va in Overwatch too, she was a hero I enjoyed even before her big buff because I knew how to aim for headshots. But going over the T-1000, who in order to be defeated, needed every single molecule of his body to be incinerated, was ridiculous. And what would be even more ridiculous is if she took out a being as omnipotent at Alduin

A few problems with this.

1: The Defence Matrix can't block everything. A continuous stream of something, even something as meek as Mei's Ice Blast or Winston's Tesla Cannon can get past the matrix. Fire is far less dense than ice, which furthers the possibility of it slipping through the Defence Matrix.

However, her armour that she has on her MEKA reduces the damage that D.Va as able to take. Should she get caught by any fire blast, it wouldn't affect D.Va too much. Something like Winston's Tesla cannon requires multiple charges, and reloads, to get D.Va out of her MEKA. If anything, D.Va is a hard counter to Winston, because of her durability in the game, and the ability to keep up the pace. It'll be a similar situation with Alduin.

2: The defence matrix is only a temporary measure, and has a cooldown once abused to its full extent.

3: This does not defend her from the back. Which, while I doubt she would turn her back on Alduin, is still worth noting that the Defence Matrix doesn't cover her from all 360 degrees of assault.

4: She is completely defenceless whilst using the Defence Matrix.

I won't take long on these points, as I believe they're either moot, or I could argue the same thing for Alduin.

Shouts, and fire breaths, would have a similar cooldown; Alduin from behind cannot defend himself; the Defense Matrix is a defense tactic, how can one be defensless when she's defending herself?

Let's move on to more of the meatier arguments.

Gonna stop you there, because you're wrong. D'Va can only absorb Hanzo's ult if it's still in its projectile arrow phase. Once the arrow actually transforms into a dragon, D'Va gets devastated and can't block it. The reason D'Va works well against Hanzo is because Hanzo is a sniper character, and can take far, FAR less abuse than Alduin, whereas D'Va works best at close range.

Yes, you are correct on D.Va blocking Hanzo; however, it takes time for Hanzo to get something as powerful as an Ult ready, very similar to Alduin when he goes for the shout. Being nimble on the trigger, and having a very good sense of predictability (since, after all, FPS gaming revolves heavily around predicting opponents, and trigger discipline), D.Va should be able to detect Alduin's attacks, and either evade with her boosters, or use her Defense Matrix to prevent them from occurring.

Alduin is a big dragon. They're not exactly fast.

There is no outright magic in Overwatch though. The closest thing to magic are Hanzo's ults and Reaper's abilities, which most likely have some kind of scientific explanation behind them. It's a highly futuristic world, but still based in the realms of reality, unlike Alduin's world. Funnily enough, as mentioned above, Hanzo's Ult cuts through D'Va like paper and Reaper is one of the most effective counters of D'Va.

As for Zenyatta, he's Magneto's wet dream.

Let's take the point of world, and magic.

Alduin is from a realm of magic, yes, this is true. However, technology doesn't technically exist in his world, in the terms of how we view technology in the modern times. D.Va is from the future, about 60 years into the future. The technology available in the future would have advanced so far that magical entities could be understood by science, or created from such. In fact, in her world, such "magic" can be replicated, like teleportation, blink teleporting, ice spells, etc.

D'Va has good reaction times, that's true. But let's recognise that she as a person is doing little more than pressing buttons inside her suit to make the suit do things. And the suit itself, when not in the temporary thruster mode, is extremely slow. In a sense, the suit is almost a hindrance to her actual reaction abilities because there's a fair amount of disconnect between the suit speed, and her actual reaction speed. She probably has a feel for the suit's speed by now, but it's still two very different speeds trying to work with one another.

May I, once again, direct you to the year in which these suits were created? Very far into the future, so the "lag" you believe would be inside the suit can be argued that it's a null factor. I'd go as far to say that it isn't a problem.

Running circles is probably an overstatement. Alduin isn't a slug when he's on the ground, and once D'Va's thrusters need to recharge, they do so for several seconds. More than enough time for Alduin to turn around, and destroy the suit in anyway he sees fit. All the heightened senses in the world wouldn't be enough for her to avoid Alduin's wrath when stuck in the slow suit.

Excellent argument.

However, it's the same problems that the Dragonborn had to encounter. You couldn't sprint forever, and in such a time, you'd have to hide away and dodge when Alduin came for the spin. Yet, he managed quite well. D.Va, whilst not being the bane of dragons as Dragonborn was, still possesses a similar arsenal of firepower, and evasion tactics, that Dragonborn had at his disposal... with better technology, and a heightened sense of reaction time. I'd wager to say she'd manage as well as Dragonborn in such a fight.

I think we need to recognise who is firing those arrows, shouting those shouts and performing that magic. It isn't some average Whiterun guard, it's Dovahkiin, who is in all essence, a demi-god and the one person perfectly equipped to deal with Alduin. The Dragonborn before the playable character in Skyrim was Tiber Septim, who eventually ascended to godhood as Talos, the god of man and war.

And I know arrows are still arrows, and magic is still magic, but if that's the case, why did it take divine intervention the first time, and the birth of someone perfectly equipped to deal with him the second time to actually stop him? Why is the entirety of Skyrim shitting themselves at his return, and basically hoping for a Dragonborn to stand any chance at all.

D'Va is gifted, very gifted. But she's no demi-goddess. And she's most definitely not perfectly equipped to deal with Alduin.

Yes, Alduin is a video game boss. But it took a Dragonborn to take him out. D'Va is not a Dragonborn.

And what would be even more ridiculous is if she took out a being as omnipotent at Alduin

South Korea had an invasion of large monsters, and everyone was collecting shitting themselves because none of the regular army could do anything. Enter D.Va, a member of an elite battalion who could only deal with such monsters that invaded the cities; a last hope, if you will. This is in OW lore, and is similar to the Skyrim lore, of Dragonborn and Alduin.

What happened in both scenarios? The monsters were defeated. In the case for D.Va, these monsters weren't even bosses in a video game. They were real life threats that were troubling the city, and one false move could render her life in jeopardy. She has been trained to take on the biggest, and the baddest, without having to result in losing lives. Alduin is no different here.

Except the Defence Matrix would do nothing, the boosters would only be a temporary solution, and her bullets are only effective at the closest of ranges, and even then, it takes a lot of them to take down even a Tracer, the hero with the least HP in Overwatch.

Alduin isn't the body size of Tracer, and D.Va can melt through any target that has a large body, much like Alduin. Bigger body = more chance for her bullets to connect.

However, this argument suggests that Alduin remains in the sky for the entire battle. Wouldn't make for an interesting battle if Alduin is in the sky the entire time. He'd have to come down at some point to take out D.Va, and any extra time spent flying means more charge for her self-destruct, and analysing a game plan.

You over-estimate the strength of the self-destruct. It can't even take down a Roadhog if he's at maximum health. It does a set amount of damage at 500, which means heroes like Winston, Reinhardt and even another D'Va, if provided with assistance from Torbjorn armor or Symmetra shields, can survive it. And it's not that these people aren't tough characters, but I'd be willing to bet the World Eater and the Nordic God of destruction, is more than a few categories ahead of them with regards to bulk.

And let's not take out of the equation Alduin's size and strength. If D'Va were to self-destruct, he could easily swat the suit away. Not that the self-destruct would do much to Alduin anyway, but it's something the T-1000 couldn't do at least. Psycho Mantis probably could have, but it would have really depended on the arena whether or not it was effective.

Alduin is an extremely big target, and D.Va has a variety of ways to put the MEKA in self-destruct mode, and launch it at Alduin without him having enough time to detect it. Remember, this isn't magic he's seen before, and will probably never see in his life time.

I think the problem here is bullets and self-destructing MEKA's, and their effectiveness against a dragon who deals in arrows and magic. The latter two options are both outdated technologies, replaced by much more reliable, and faster firing, ammunition, and the magic replicated by science and technology, again, being more reliable to utilise. Whilst we do not know how bullets and machine bombs would fair against Alduin, I can argue that they are better than what Alduin had to deal with, and then using this, assume the damage output to be more reliable.

Yes, it's a different perspective of the fight, but we know D.Va is capable, and has fought against, people with similar attributes to Alduin, and can actively compete against them. Alduin has yet to fight against someone as advanced as D.Va, and I cannot see any proof within the Skyrim world, do illustrate such advanced power.

However, her armour that she has on her MEKA reduces the damage that D.Va as able to take. Should she get caught by any fire blast, it wouldn't affect D.Va too much. Something like Winston's Tesla cannon requires multiple charges, and reloads, to get D.Va out of her MEKA. If anything, D.Va is a hard counter to Winston, because of her durability in the game, and the ability to keep up the pace. It'll be a similar situation with Alduin.

Like I said, the Tesla Cannon is meek, especially when compared with the breath of a dragon on the scale of Alduin. Armour helps absorb any damage that would normally caused to herself, but as mentioned above, a couple of rounds of ammunition from a Soldier 76, or a McCree can get her out of the suit. The ferocity of Alduin's fire would be more than enough to make the suit useless, or at least trigger a self-destruct.

I won't take long on these points, as I believe they're either moot, or I could argue the same thing for Alduin.

Shouts, and fire breaths, would have a similar cooldown; Alduin from behind cannot defend himself; the Defense Matrix is a defense tactic, how can one be defensless when she's defending herself?

Let's move on to more of the meatier arguments.

I can concede that the shouts may have a cooldown. But these are cooldowns on offensive abilities. D'Va's cooldown on her only ability relevant in this battle is purely avoidant.

Alduin at least has a tail he can use as a melee weapon. D'Va has absolutely nothing to defend herself from behind. And given his weight, and D'Va's inability to block melee weapons, this could perhaps be another way he could disable the MEKA.

Defenceless with regards to this battle. D'Va's Defence Matrix is useless at blocking either the shouts (not enough density) or the melee attacks (not a ranged attack). It is literally hopeless in this battle.

Yes, you are correct on D.Va blocking Hanzo; however, it takes time for Hanzo to get something as powerful as an Ult ready, very similar to Alduin when he goes for the shout. Being nimble on the trigger, and having a very good sense of predictability (since, after all, FPS gaming revolves heavily around predicting opponents, and trigger discipline), D.Va should be able to detect Alduin's attacks, and either evade with her boosters, or use her Defense Matrix to prevent them from occurring.

Alduin is a big dragon. They're not exactly fast.

All Alduin has to do is say a phrase in order to perform a shout, something he could do extremely quickly. Hanzo actively has to channel his bow, shout a longer phrase, fire his projectile and wait for it to transform into a pair of dragons/wolves. The comparison is in fact a contrast.

I'd also like to mention that D'Va's expertise with regards to gaming is not FPS games (not that she'd be bad at them), but RTS games, like Starcraft 2, which require a completely different mindset to an FPS game. Of course, D'Va's good enough to be a part of Overwatch, so she must be doing something right in that regard, but a fight against a being like Alduin (even if she has fought some mechanical abominations in the past) is a fight she will have never had to cope with before. You can make the argument "Well, she might have played Skyrim" but A) There is no guarantee that Skyrim exists in the Overwatch universe and B) Even if it did, she would be playing as Dragonborn. And D'Va is not a Dragonborn.

Alduin is from a realm of magic, yes, this is true. However, technology doesn't technically exist in his world, in the terms of how we view technology in the modern times. D.Va is from the future, about 60 years into the future. The technology available in the future would have advanced so far that magical entities could be understood by science, or created from such. In fact, in her world, such "magic" can be replicated, like teleportation, blink teleporting, ice spells, etc.

No, technology does exist in the Elder Scrolls universe. They have advanced far beyond the point of beating people with sticks and stones. I'd say it's around the early Medieval era period with regards to technological innovation. And that's not even factoring in the marvels of engineering the Dwemer were capable of. I know what you're trying to say with regards to a lack of gadgets, but to be honest, I find it to be a moot point.

The key word is "replicated" also. This isn't actually magic. It's technological advancement. All magic from the Elder Scrolls games has been proven to be a creation of the Aedra, powerful deities. There's a big, big difference here. Not to make this a controversial religious discussion, but the influence of the gods in Alduin's world far exceeds that of the influence in D'Va's world. Technological advancement is great, but it's still far, far away from what the gods have been proven to create in the Elder Scrolls universe.

May I, once again, direct you to the year in which these suits were created? Very far into the future, so the "lag" you believe would be inside the suit can be argued that it's a null factor. I'd go as far to say that it isn't a problem.

This isn't an argument about the technological aspect or lag. You say D'Va's reaction speeds are legendary. But the suit itself is actually very slow to move. And as I said before, maybe she's accustomed to it, but it doesn't change the fact that D'Va, with her fast reactions, is working with a slow suit, which in turn is a disconnect between complete control.

Excellent argument.

However, it's the same problems that the Dragonborn had to encounter. You couldn't sprint forever, and in such a time, you'd have to hide away and dodge when Alduin came for the spin. Yet, he managed quite well. D.Va, whilst not being the bane of dragons as Dragonborn was, still possesses a similar arsenal of firepower, and evasion tactics, that Dragonborn had at his disposal... with better technology, and a heightened sense of reaction time. I'd wager to say she'd manage as well as Dragonborn in such a fight.

Thing is, the Dragonborn, when not sprinting, was much faster than D'Va when not thrusting still. And was also a much smaller target when outside the suit, whilst being much more durable than Pilot D'Va. Not to mention his access to magic with regards to wards and dragon shouts.

South Korea had an invasion of large monsters, and everyone was collecting shitting themselves because none of the regular army could do anything. Enter D.Va, a member of an elite battalion who could only deal with such monsters that invaded the cities; a last hope, if you will. This is in OW lore, and is similar to the Skyrim lore, of Dragonborn and Alduin.

What happened in both scenarios? The monsters were defeated. In the case for D.Va, these monsters weren't even bosses in a video game. They were real life threats that were troubling the city, and one false move could render her life in jeopardy. She has been trained to take on the biggest, and the baddest, without having to result in losing lives. Alduin is no different here.

Firstly, Alduin isn't just an average large monster. He is the Nordic God of Destruction and considered the World Eater. It took divine intervention, which we've established is more powerful than any technology readily available in the Overwatch universe to stop him the first time, and absolutely perfectly set conditions to stop him the second time, and even then, it took 3 other heroes to actually assist in stopping Alduin. To say he's just another large monster for D'Va is pretty insulting to Alduin.

Secondly, you mention battalion. Plural. It seems as if she actively needed assistance in taking down these monsters, and there seems to be indications of casualties, seeing as D'Va is the only one in the Overwatch lore we see with a MEKA suit.

So, in summary, she took down creatures far less potent than Alduin, with assistance from her battalion, with her battalion most likely suffering heavy casualties. Not as impressive.

Alduin isn't the body size of Tracer, and D.Va can melt through any target that has a large body, much like Alduin. Bigger body = more chance for her bullets to connect.

However, this argument suggests that Alduin remains in the sky for the entire battle. Wouldn't make for an interesting battle if Alduin is in the sky the entire time. He'd have to come down at some point to take out D.Va, and any extra time spent flying means more charge for her self-destruct, and analysing a game plan.

Bigger body = higher accuracy is correct. But my example was assuming the Tracer was standing still with perfect accuracy from D'Va. Even then, it would take a fair amount of bullets to put Tracer down. And it only gets harder the more bulky the enemy is. And Alduin is on a far, far higher echelon than even a fully armoured and shielded Roadhog.

And my argument isn't assuming Alduin would be constantly airborne. Remember, I did say Alduin would land in how I thought the fight would play out. And firing at Alduin during the aviation phase would not only be futile, but make D'Va even more of a target for his fire, and make the battle even shorter for D'Va. She would be best just to use her boosters and trying to hide and nothing more during this portion.

Alduin is an extremely big target, and D.Va has a variety of ways to put the MEKA in self-destruct mode, and launch it at Alduin without him having enough time to detect it. Remember, this isn't magic he's seen before, and will probably never see in his life time.

Alduin isn't stupid though. If he saw a suit flying towards him, D'Va's main asset, he'd suspect some kind of trap and throw it to one side, hoping D'Va would not be able to utilise it again (he'd be unaware of D'Va calling down another MEKA though I imagine, but as I said, he'd capitalise on her in pilot form). And even if it did by some chance hit him, it wouldn't do that much damage. A Roadhog at full health can survive it, so why wouldn't a being as omnipotent as Alduin shrug it off?

I think the problem here is bullets and self-destructing MEKA's, and their effectiveness against a dragon who deals in arrows and magic. The latter two options are both outdated technologies, replaced by much more reliable, and faster firing, ammunition, and the magic replicated by science and technology, again, being more reliable to utilise. Whilst we do not know how bullets and machine bombs would fair against Alduin, I can argue that they are better than what Alduin had to deal with, and then using this, assume the damage output to be more reliable.

OK, bullets are more advanced than arrows. But they accomplish the same thing, which is to pierce and incise, it's just that bullets are more reliable to work with. So why is it that D'Va's bullets take an eternity to shred through a Roadhog without any armour or shield? And why is it that it requires far, far less of Hanzo's arrows to take down a Roadhog? Not to mention Alduin's virtually impenetrable scales and massive bulk is a big step up from a Roadhog.

Also, Alduin has had to cope with explosions before. Plenty of spells in Skyrim are capable of causing explosions, and Alduin shrugs them off. Why would a MEKA explosion be any different?

Yes, it's a different perspective of the fight, but we know D.Va is capable, and has fought against, people with similar attributes to Alduin, and can actively compete against them. Alduin has yet to fight against someone as advanced as D.Va, and I cannot see any proof within the Skyrim world, do illustrate such advanced power.

D'Va has not fought against anyone from the same book, let alone the same page as Alduin. And the powers of divinity transcend that of technological advancement, as established above.

D'Va puts up an admirable fight, but there's absolutely nothing she can do to put Alduin down. And to be honest, Alduin is a Uber tier character. I don't expect anyone to be able to take him down, unless either specially equipped to do so (Dragonborn or Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III) or an even more powerful entity (Faceless Void).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back