Should Wrestlers Be Given World Title Runs As A Thank You For Their Work?

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
I’ve seen quite a few people on these forums mention how so and so deserves a World Title run and the reason that usually goes along with it is because of their work. I’ve never quite understood why people think that because a certain wrestler has given a lot to the business they should just get a World Title run. Don’t get me wrong though. I do appreciate and I am thankful for everything most of these wrestlers do, but I don’t think they need to be given world title runs as a thank you for all your work. There are better ways to say thank you to them by inducting them in the HOF for example.

One of the main reasons why I disagree with people who think like that is because most of the times, these wrestlers don’t need the world title and they are probably going to retire soon. So why give it to them? I think they should be putting talent over on their way out and helping the future of the business out. Another reason is that although a title may seem like a prop to us and Vince Russo, it’s not that way for the wrestlers themselves. They see it as something much more than a prop and I don’t think that a lot of us will understand that unless we worked in the wrestling business. To them, a title is something important and it should be treated seriously. In my eyes, a title doesn’t seem important if it’s given to a wrestler for their work. All I see is a quick, meaningless reign that didn’t need to happen.

What are your thoughts? Remember, I am talking about WORLD titles in this thread, not any other title. Do you think a wrestler should be given a World Title reign as a thank you for their work?

99% of the time, I dont think they should. If they were not good enough to hold the world title during their peak and remained at midcard level, they should not be the world champion just before they retire. It devalues the belt imo. Matt Hardy is an example of this. I like the guy, and think he COULD have been made into world championship material during his solo career, but it hasnt happened and to suddenly give him a world title reign before he retires after a career spent at midcard level makes the title worthless in my opinion.

However, it the extreme case of someone who has been at the top but never quuuuiiite managed to win the big one, it could work.

There is nothing wrong with pushing midcarders up to main event level, which is what happened with Mysterio, Edge and hopefully soon Christian, but they should not do this to someone who is about to retire as a thank you, as they have nothing left to offer the company in the future. The time should be spent on building stars who can bring something to the table in future years.

I don't believe a wrestler should be given a world title just because he did a lot for the business, Ted DiBiase never got a world title during the 80's, Mr Perfect never got a world title during the 90's, Chavo Guerrero has, and never will become a world champion.

There's a lot of scenarios where a wrestler do deserve to get a world title because of his contribution, but also due to the fact that he could carry the championship, carry the company and make it believable, a guy like Christian could definitely do it as opposed to a guy like Chavo Guerrero for example.

I think it is all about who the person is, and whether he's able to actually carry the company, he has to come off legitimate and someone who could actually make it in the main event, a guy like Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero could both have made it in the main event picture, and was given championships due to their success in the business and contribution, but also because of how over they were.

Absolutely Not. If anything, I wish we could go back to a time when title changes were special. Most titles, including world titles, have been devalued by frequent and nonsensical switches. "Rewarding" a veteran only would add to this problem. Remember when veterans like Hardcore Holly and Big Bossman got title matches against Lesnar and Big Show? I feel that is a much better "reward" for veteran wrestlers than handing out title reigns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back