SmackDown VS RAW???

TheNew_ApexPredator

"The Apex Predator of the WWE"
As we know Brad Maddox is the new GM of RAW replacing Vickie, who is now the new GM of SmackDown! You can tell Vickie and Brad aren't friends any more, we saw Vickie smack Brad on SmackDown and even Brad embarrassing Vickie at MITB. I dont know where WWE is taking this but i do hope they have them to feud and restore that SmackDown vs RAW theme! They could bring back WWE Draft!! We could see brand invasions! and SmackDown could be more enjoyable, we see a lot of SmackDown superstars on RAW now and that is why not much people tune in to SmackDown now are days. So what do you think about this, could WWE be more enjoyable with SmackDown vs RAW theme back or do you like it that the brands share there WWE superstars?

I suppose it's possible. In order for it to happen at this point in time, as we've seen GMs engage in their own feuds in the past, I think Brad Maddox would have to be booked as a convincing & fair babyface GM for Raw. It was initially thought that Maddox would be the GM of Raw so that he'd be another spineless puppet for Vince to manipulate and intimidate. There's still a very, very real possibility of that but I was surprised that WWE had Maddox play it straight on Raw as someone that seemed fair and unbiased. The fact that some of the top babyfaces on the roster complimented him on how good of a job he's doing was also something of a surprise.

Now as it was only his first Raw as GM, WWE can still very easily turn him into said spineless puppet or into a general asshole like Vickie. The fact that they didn't right away, however, gives me some hope that they won't. My mother watches wrestling pretty often herself and after Raw this past Monday, she said to me "he looks too sweet and cute to be a bad guy." So after I called her a dirty old woman, for which she threatened to send me to my room even though I'm a grown man & in my own place, it got me thinking. When I look at Maddox, he doesn't come off like someone who could play a convincingly ruthless bad guy. He can certainly be an annoying heel almost on the same level as Vickie Guerrero, but we've seen him in that role before and the fact that he has seemed to be more unbiased and straight down the middle feels fresher. Even when he was Vickie's assistant, he still seemed to portray himself as more "fair minded".

As far as the brand goes, some want the brand split to come back. It's ironic, though not at all unexpected, that no more than a few days would pass before someone started a thread or there were any number of posts in which someone would complain about the brand split and wanted it to end. Now that the brand split has been all but ended, with only the fact that there are two World Championships as the only holdover from those days, a lot of people want to see the brand split reinstated. If it is reinstated, I give it six months at the most before the IWC again starts to complain about the brand split.

The problem with a brand rivalry is that in order for it to really pay off in a meaningful way, it would definitely have to be built up over a good length of time before anything really formal happened. Then, WWE would have to keep the rivalry heated year afterward in order to, in my opinion, keep the whole thing from feeling like it was just a waste of time in which everything simply goes back to normal. WWE didn't do that until shortly before it was time for the Bragging Rights ppvs a few years back and, as a result, you never got a feeling that there was anything significant going on in terms of brand rivalry.

...could WWE be more enjoyable with SmackDown vs RAW theme back or do you like it that the brands share there WWE superstars?

Regardless of what we'd like to see, the way they're handling both shows these days indicates we're not going to see a separation of brands. The two main programs are star-driven; that's why we see guys like Orton, Bryan and Sheamus on both shows, every week. It's similar to when Smackdown was first created, when we watched Triple H and the Rock on both shows all the time. Unfortunately, there aren't enough true main eventers around to keep the brands separate. The company is trying to build the stars of tomorrow, but if Curtis Axel and Dolph Ziggler are the best they can do, I fear we're in for more of the same since those guys aren't strong enough to carry a brand.

...we saw Vickie smack Brad on SmackDown

And that was one hell of a slap, wasn't it? Delivered with the flat of her hand and a full arm swing, it really looked as if it stung. I wonder if Brad expected to be hit like that. Jeez.

I think this is a perfect way to set up a rivalry heading into Survivor Series (although not until late November...the 24th?)

I don't know if it'll end up in a full brand split but it could be for some power control (Triple H = Maddox, McMahon = Vickie) at SS in a 12-man tag. A brand split would mix things up though, and if they could get some decent star power on SmackDown (ala John Cena), Smackdown's ratings go up, Raw's don't suffer. The only problem you have is RAW is 100% over Smackdown, with it being an hour longer.

I've always thought that a brand-split is the better option. It makes each show have a purpose and allow more of the roster to be involved. The WWE have decided that they want to continue with one massive roster which makes the story line unlikely. Although I would love to see it, there is little chance as the division between Raw/Smackdown is become less and less obvious.

I am in favour of ending the unified roster but the quality of actual wrestling matches have been as good as I can remember. A brand-split may ruin that which would be a real shame.

I don't see WWE going back to the brand split, especially given the fact Punk and Cena never work Smackdown unlike everyone else. I know Punk is doing a few SD tapings in the build to Summerslam but that seems like a short term thing.

My feeling is that the slap from Vickie to Maddox as well as her having Teddy thrown out was pretty much putting a full stop on the fact Vickie will now mostly just be on SD. The overall point of the angle is as another piece in the Vince and Triple H power struggle angle.

It is possible. It isn't like we haven't seen a feud between the Raw and SmackDown general managers before. Eric Bischoff and Teddy Long were never great friends. Ric Flair and Vince McMahon, well, you know.

The problem is, in today's WWE, the brand extension means nothing. It no longer exists. Maddox chooses the matches on Raw, Vickie chooses them on SmackDown. I suppose you could build some sort of story around that, having both recruiting superstars onto their own show, having a long, extensive "bragging rights" feud that could very well conclude at Bragging Rights.

It would be cool; both GM's trying to outdo the other. They have a chemistry with each other as well, and they could pull it off. This could become a good multi-month feud, but execute it better than Johnny vs Teddy. Don't get me wrong, Johnny was great. But I would prefer something more of a feud like Eric and Teddy. Those were the good ol' days I suppose.

It's 2013.... AND PEOPLE ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT RAW VS. SMACKDOWN?! Just... Why? Both are heels, the feud has been significantly worse everytime they do it (not that it was good the first time), and most of all THERE IS NO BRAND SPLIT.

I'm all for a brand split. I did enjoy different superstars on each brand because one it made for bigger and better storylines. Also, it made the WHC just as prestigious as the WWE champ because it was on its own show.

Here are reasons why WWE could do it then but cant do it now

Depth of Roster- Back in 2003-2005 when they had the brand split look at the talent they had for each brand Raw-Triple H, Batista, Shawn Micheals, Chris Jericho, Kane, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Stone Cold as GM, The Rock, Evolution, RVD, and Booker T. Smackdown- Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, John Cena, Big Show, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, and Edge. Unfortunatly the only way for this to work now is if Cena was on raw and CM Punk on smackdown and even then the rosters would be watered down.

Titles- For some reason back then I felt as if the championships were a bigger deal . The WHC was as prestigoious as the WWE champ because it was on raw and the WHC needed that. They had two tag team titles and the tag team division was strong then unlike now. Finally the IC title being just on raw and the US championship on smackdown gave all the midcarders a title to go after, this is when those titles meant something.

The General Mangers- With Eric Bischoff running raw and Vince Mcmahon on Smackdown this gave a hated authority figure on each show. WWE didnt need for both of them on the same show because both had the evil boss presence and a big enough reputation that they could handle there own. I'm sorry but Brad Maddox, Vickie Guerrero, Teddy Long(even though i think he's done a great job), and Booker T just dont have that presense. Neither of them can draw heat and be hated because thats what WWE needs another authority figure whos a d*ck and everyone knows it.

All in all WWE is odviously not what it used to be and in some catagories they've improved but a brand split at this time just isnt possible due to the fact they just dont have enough stars to be on different shows and draw alot of attention and make interesting storylines. If anything WWE needs to cut alot of talent and put focus on the Stars by putting them on Smackdown and making Smackdown just as credible as RAW.

I used to be all for a brand split but the WWE belt is so much higher than the WHC it's not even funny. Personally, the authority figure angle was old in 2002 when Flair and McMahon were co-owners. They really need to go back to the Jack Tunney days because the authority figure has far FAR run its course. Hell, the one time they could've made the authority figure interesting again, they killed it (Summer of Punk).

I think they are setting up for a brand split in a few years once Ziggler, Rhodes, Sandow, Axel, Ambrose, Rollins, Etc. are better established worldwide. IF you watch both shows you've noticed that MITB has helped push Orton and Sheamus as being more Raw guys while the Smackdown brand is starting to feature newer, younger stars ADR, Ziggler, Rhodes, Sandow, Big E. Labar is right the WWE is in transition. It's a fun transition because we get to see see Brock Lesnar, HHH, Undertaker, RVD, Y2J, but the older guys need to take a page out of Jericho's book and start putting the younger guys over. As you can see Y2J has helped establish Fandango and has begun to right the sinking ship which was Ryback.

Well first of all I agree with Coolquip... I think that the day of the EVIL GM is OVER.... It really is a DUMB IDEA.... Why? The GM is suppose to be the one who maintains and keeps the order....Not constantly break the rules... That is like having a judge on the bench WHO OPENLY TAKES BRIBES... SILLY! Ppl forget that the bad guy GM was made famous by Eric Bischoff in the attitude era but honestly it made sense then... HE WAS TRYING TO RUIN THE COMPANY... HE WANTED WCW TO END BECAUSE HE WAS NWO.... That was the only reason it was believable.... Now when Vince was the bad guy in the WWE it wasn't that he was making up rules against all the fan favorites... He was going against STONE COLD personally.... Everything he did was to ruin STONE COLD in some way... It was a PERSONAL VENDETTA... That is why it looks silly now.... Now as for the brand split I WAS ALWAYS FOR IT.... I actually think that it could be a good idea if....

U IGNORE THE OTHER SHOW..... I am talking NO MENTION of the other show or superstars... It doesnt really give the feel of a split if U keep bringing up the other show it week... Oh I understand interactions at house shows and on MAJOR PPVs but in general NO!!!!

# 2... U have to quit calling RAW the flagship and making it seem like that is the BIG LEAQUE while SMACKDOWN sucks... BOTH SHOWS HAVE 2 HOLD EQUAL VALUE FOR THAT 2 WORK.... The WCW world title for years was held on the same level... and at times a HIGHER ONE then the E's... If U keep each title help in at a prestigious level han it can work...

# 3... quit with the belt hot potato changes... I remember when a title reign ACTUALLY MEANT SOMETHING.... & That was because U actually felt like a part of history when a title changed... Just do me a favor LOOK AT THE CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE HOLDERS BE4 VINCE RUSSO DECIDED TITLES WERE JUST SYMBOLIC AND EVER SINCE... Terrible.... Quit given guys TITLE REIGNS 2 weeks after their debut for NO REASON... It devalues the belt which is why the US AND IC titles mean NOTHING NOW.... Both belts back in the day meant U had a WORLD TITLE shot in the FUTURE.... Remember when holding those titles made you the automatic #1 contender for the title...LOL... Well think of those belts now...

And finally have when their is interaction IT HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING.... SURVIVOR SERIES... BRAGGING RIGHTS... Make them mean something... Oh and bring back the draft but have it actually change impact players.. I remember that last draft SM gt trash and RAW got all the STARS... I WAS LIKE DAMN THIS SUCKS...

With time and a split this could actually work

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back