Sports Debators' League Starts in a Week (Jan 3)

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Here are the 21 entrants in the order they signed up in:

1. CH David
2. Big Sexy
3. Thriller
4. Mizter Baller
5. mrbrownstone
6. Becker
7. Noah
8. LJL
9. People's Peep
10. LSN80
11. People's Champ
12. Blue Cardinal
13. General Disarray
14. newc868
15. Megatron
16. Tdigle
17. Crock
18. hatehabsforever
19. Platypus Palsy
20. Tiger

I'll divide them up at random into two groups, one of 10 entries and one of 11. On January, at sometime around Noon EST (ballpark figure but no earlier) the first of ten topics will be posted. It'll be up until the same time on Friday, giving your four days to debate it. I'll have the leadoff poster designated before the thread is posted. You will have 24 hours to make your opening post. If you don't, it's open season and anyone can post. You won't know the topic ahead of time either.

If for some reason you can't make it in those 24 hours, you won't be penalized but you do lose the advantage of going first and setting the tone. Due to there being 11 people in one group, one person in there simply won't get to hit leadoff and I'm sorry but there's nothing I can really do about that and it'll be luck of the draw. Also remember you have two outs, as in if you simply can't make it online for a few days due to whatever, you will have two times of getting a pass where you'll receive the minimum (7) points for that topic.

Scoring is as I laid out: 10 points for the best, 9 for second, 8 for third and 7 for everyone else as long as they try which I'll be the judge of. Top three scorers of each group move on to what will now be the semi-finals and then the winners of those two semis meet in the big final, held near the end of February/early March.

Oh and one final thing: the two groups will have the same topic. Like I said, I'm not going to announce them in advance unless that becomes an issue and then I'll change it accordingly.

I think that's everything. Any questions?

I believe so, Wolf. My guess is that the threads will go into teams of sides once opening debates are posted.

Yeah it's a free for all. I have no desire to figure out a schedule of a 21 person head to head league.

The judges have been selected. Myself and two other staff members will be judging these and I have a backup judge in case one of us has to miss something.

Oh and before I forget: one of the judges is from Europe so there will be someone with the same perspective as some of the posters who can tell us if something about soccer or some other sport that isn't popular in America is accurate or not.

This can also be used for general discussion, no?

I'll get my post up when I get home from work.

Tomorrow at whatever time I initially posted the threads on Monday it's over. I'll put up topic #2 either before I head to see a buddy of mine tomorrow or as soon as I get home. Scores will be up whenever the judges give them to me.

I think Mr Brownstone is the only non-American debator in the league. Dunno how he will argue against American sports.

It's all on the wording of the question. American sports either have a winner or a loser, they VERY VERY rarely end in a tie, correct?

If that's the case the title should have been undefeated run rather than winning streak and the rest of the world who play other sports could have chipped in.

Tomorrow at whatever time I initially posted the threads on Monday it's over. I'll put up topic #2 either before I head to see a buddy of mine tomorrow or as soon as I get home. Scores will be up whenever the judges give them to me.

Didn't have time to do much this round, but with the next round and the weekend I'm sure I'll get 'er done.

This is partially why I wanted non-Americans as judges with me. It's their interpretation of it as well.

Maybe its just me, but I'm not a big fan of the scoring system. Its not really fair that guys who at least put in the effort to post earn the same amount of points as someone who did nothing.

Just thought I'd bring it up.

Just a quick question regarding the updated scores and standings. The posted scores are supposedly through Topic #3. I assume that this is supposed to actually be through Topic #2. As I understand it, there's a minimum score of 21 points per round (7 points from 3 judges) so after three rounds the minimum score for anyone should be 63, yet no one, including the leaders, is into the 60's. Is there something I am misunderstanding, or is this just a typo?

A little constructive criticism as well for what it's worth. It seems strange to me that first place gets 10, then 9, then 8, with everyone else getting 7. I like this as it keeps everyone in the game. But with this system, the guys who don't even bother to post get the same score as the guys who tried but didn't place. If someone takes the time to post, with or without subsequent rebuttals, but the judges don't give them a good score, I still think they deserve a better score than someone who didn't bother to post at all. Maybe the guys who don't post in any given round should get an even lower score. Maybe if you miss a round you should only get 3, or 5, or whatever. It would be possible for someone to try their best for three rounds, and have a minimum score of 63 (21 per round because of 7 from 3 judges) while another guy doesn't post at all, and still gets 63 (although I realize this guy would have three strikes and be eliminated from the competition).

Food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back