Steel Cage Forums: A Wrestling Forum That Won't Make You Sick And Kill You

What are your goals in SCF? If it's just for the hardcore WZ forums users, then I guess it's okay, but you'll need to find your new users somewhere. You'll need to drive traffic, promote and promote because eventually people will stop coming in.
Yeah, they call that SEO.

Running a website is really difficult if you want to succeed as you guys probably know. I'm honestly intrigued in what you guys are doing as far as goals go.
A good 4 or 5 of us either run websites or work IT. We kinda know how it goes.

To me and I say most of the people in here, it looks like Slyfox had a bitch fight with one of the owners of WZ, got demoted (not say fired, because I highly, HIGHLY, doubt any of you get paid to be admins or mods over here, heck even write on the main website) and went into business for himself just to stick it to them.
Nope. It was a group decision caused by several factors, before that even happened.

But what are the goals as far as the rest of us are concerned? I mean, should we expect more discussions about wrestling? New users with different insights?
Expect a website that doesn't run on software from a decade ago.
Because, if that will be bring people over from WZ and changing the avatar, then in all honesty, you're just kinda splitting a community for nothing.
That's the best part.

What's the point of talking down to the guy for asking a question? I don't blame him for wanting to know why he ought to abandon WZ and move over if it's ultimately just going to be KB, Sly, and a handful of other regulars having discussions. I've been on small forums like that before and it gets old. If there's a way to generate traffic, on the other hand, it'll be easier to keep things fresh.

Go sit on a sharp dick, Jane.

Yeah, they call that SEO.

But as previously stated you're competing with Reddit, /asp/, and countless other wrestling forums with hundreds of thousands of members. What does SCF have that will stand out? I get SEO but how many people in 2018 are realistically going to skim through five pages of a Google search to find this forum? If you're going for a small community of ex-WZers that's fine, but I think it'd be helpful for other potential expats to know the goal.

Struggling to understand why 'the goal' matters to anyone otber than the owners. I use a shit ton of websites and have no idea of the goal of the owners. Fuck, I've been on this forum over 10 years and still don't have a clue what Crave wants from it.

Honestly this is the only forum I've ever been on because of the way it's run (non spam, spam sections, wrestling, media, general etc) so if this new forum is going to be similar I'm interested.

Also shameless plug can I help create some avatars?

Struggling to understand why 'the goal' matters to anyone otber than the owners. I use a shit ton of websites and have no idea of the goal of the owners. Fuck, I've been on this forum over 10 years and still don't have a clue what Crave wants from it.

As I just said (and I'm not speaking personally here, my 279 non-spam posts in going on ten years probably don't make me the type of poster you're looking for), the WZ admins and high-level posters are attempting to snatch away a large portion of posters from this site to go on their forum instead. You know for a fact that reputation and history on these forums matter whether we like to admit it or not. That's why we still get posters from ten years ago pop up and say hello to reflect on their "legacy". If we all woke up tomorrow and WZ was offline we'd definitely feel a bit empty knowing that our thousands of posts, threads and memories were gone forever.

I've seen many posters over the years banned for advertising another forum and their goal was the exact same as KB and Sly - they wanted to poach WZ posters to drive their own traffic. I'm not calling them hypocritical. I get it. I understand that it's unfair that they've been doing all the work and the awful owners of WZ have given them nothing. But if you expect a ton of posters from WZ to abandon their accounts and jump ship I think that you at least should provide a game plan for making SCF worth dedicating time to.

Or don't. But as was said above, the fanbase will be divided and ultimately both forums will end up suffering. KB and Sly don't owe us anything, but neither do we owe them.

I've stayed out of this thread for a while on purpose, but I do want to clarify some of these questions.
What are your goals in SCF?
To just be a place for people to post. It will be wrestling centered, but includes other forums as well.
If it's just for the hardcore WZ forums users, then I guess it's okay, but you'll need to find your new users somewhere. You'll need to drive traffic, promote and promote because eventually people will stop coming in.
Unlike WZ, we are not putting a forum on the Internet to make money. I have paid for everything myself and I am hosting it free of charge to users. I have not included ads and there will never be advertisements on the forum as long as I'm hosting it.

This is not a money making attempt, just a place for people to relax and chat.

Running a website is really difficult if you want to succeed as you guys probably know. I'm honestly intrigued in what you guys are doing as far as goals go.
I've been running my work's website for nearly 10 years. I've had my own webpage for half a decade. Thanks for the advice. ;)

To me and I say most of the people in here, it looks like Slyfox had a bitch fight with one of the owners of WZ, got demoted (not say fired, because I highly, HIGHLY, doubt any of you get paid to be admins or mods over here, heck even write on the main website) and went into business for himself just to stick it to them.
That's actually not even close.

There was no "bitch fight". There was actually no communication at all from Crave to me before or after. A user saw an interaction between a mod and a different regular user and came to me and "protest(ed) strongly" and basically asked I punish the moderator because of a particular word the moderator used. I politely and professional explained to him the moderator did not break any rules and that I treat moderators the same as regular posters. This particular user didn't like that answer and because the user did not get their way, decided to complain to the higher ups. The higher ups, based on whatever the user told them (and I've never once seen it, so I cannot tell you what was in it), basically decided, without getting any information from me or having any idea of how things actually happened on the forum, demoted both myself and the moderator, never once communicating before or after the fact.

Of course, that is their right, it is their forum, but it was unprofessional. However, that wasn't all. After the fact, I got in touch with Mr. Nick Hausman, whose decision it was to demote me, and sent a professional e-mail, explaining all the work I've done for the forums over the years, including putting my own money into the forum, and I basically said if you give me rules you want enforced I will do so. I also asked for an explanation on the decision.

Mr. Hausman's response essentially amounted to a "screw you". After I sent a multi-paragraph professional e-mail to Mr. Hausman, Mr. Hausman could not be bothered to reply with more than one or two sentences and then told people he wasn't going to reply to me ever again. It was one of the most unprofessional things I've seen in business and several other people who have been party to the issue agreed.

There has been talk for a while about how Crave has never cared about this place, never upgrades it, never bothers with it. I have had to fix several issues on the forum and I once had to be the one to detect the malware that basically made the forum hang and caused the forum to be nearly unusable. Crave/WZ clearly does not care about this forum, so discussions have taken place for a while about a backup in case one day the forum just disappears.

With Mr. Hausman's completely unprofessional actions towards me, that was enough to convince me (and some others) that this place could be gone very soon. If Crave/WZ is willing to let just some random person completely alter the landscape of the forum, removing someone who has put in their time and money to help the forums run, then clearly they do not care at all about the forums (as evidenced by the fact the software powering this forum is a decade old).

As such, I decided it was time to go ahead and complete the discussion which had been taking place for months before I was demoted. That's what happened. There was no bitch fight and I'm not trying to stick to to WZ. I've been a member of WZ for a very long time, I'm not trying to ruin it. But, the fact is, the WZ Forums are not taken care of and the first time they don't just run themselves, the first time someone messes something up, then it seems more than likely Crave will just remove the forum.

So, with the SC Forums, there is a place where the owners actually care, the forum is updated, and a forum which will be around for a long time and not a forum that is trying to use you to make money.

But what are the goals as far as the rest of us are concerned? I mean, should we expect more discussions about wrestling? New users with different insights?
The goals are to have a place where people can post about wrestling and anything else they want. And they can do it on a forum that will be taken care of.

As far as getting new users, we have a few different ways to achieve that which we are/will be utilizing, but ultimately, since there's no money to be made, it's just about providing the best place possible for current users.

Because, if that will be bring people over from WZ and changing the avatar, then in all honesty, you're just kinda splitting a community for nothing.
I'm not trying to split a community, I'm trying to provide the community with some peace of mind.

If you want to come and post, that's great. You don't have to leave WZ. I mean, I own the relatively expensive vbulletin software powering SC Forums, I pay for the hosting and domain name for SC Forums, I'm an administrator at SC Forums and I'm still posting on WZ. It's not about taking you away from WZ, it's about making sure the community which has grown up on WZ doesn't die because some random unprofessional person who clearly doesn't care about the forums just suddenly makes a rash decision without considering those who his/her decision will affect.

If you want to post on SCF, great. If you don't, great too. No pressure at all.

If we all woke up tomorrow and WZ was offline we'd definitely feel a bit empty knowing that our thousands of posts, threads and memories were gone forever.
And that's what we're trying to protect.

I've seen many posters over the years banned for advertising another forum and their goal was the exact same as KB and Sly - they wanted to poach WZ posters to drive their own traffic.
This is false, we're not trying to drive traffic. Driving traffic is intended to maximize ad revenue and there's no ad revenue to be had on SC Forums. I hate advertisements with a passion. I understand their necessity, but I can afford a forum without them, so that's the way it is.

It's not about driving traffic, it's about making people understand WZ Forums is likely on their last legs and that if people want to continue communicating with those they post with now, there is a place to do that.

I understand that it's unfair that they've been doing all the work and the awful owners of WZ have given them nothing. But if you expect a ton of posters from WZ to abandon their accounts and jump ship I think that you at least should provide a game plan for making SCF worth dedicating time to.
I'm not asking anyone to jump ship. Post on SCF and WZ, I still plan to.

Just understand the difference in the situations. Crave clearly doesn't care about this place. I can give you plenty of examples. The owner of SCF does care.

Or don't. But as was said above, the fanbase will be divided and ultimately both forums will end up suffering. KB and Sly don't owe us anything, but neither do we owe them.
Agree completely. We're not asking for loyalty, we're not asking for anything. We're just here to provide a service for free. That's all. Post on SCF if you want, don't if you don't. There's no pressure at all.

Honestly this is the only forum I've ever been on because of the way it's run (non spam, spam sections, wrestling, media, general etc) so if this new forum is going to be similar I'm interested.

Also shameless plug can I help create some avatars?
Sure, I'm sure there would be people who would appreciate that. On SCF you can upload your own, you don't need to rely on the forum to provide them to you. But I'm sure if you started a thread saying you're willing to create some graphics, people would likely ask for some help.

Go choke on a sharp dick, Jane.

And that's what we're trying to protect.

This is false, we're not trying to drive traffic. Driving traffic is intended to maximize ad revenue and there's no ad revenue to be had on SC Forums. I hate advertisements with a passion. I understand their necessity, but I can afford a forum without them, so that's the way it is.

It's not about driving traffic, it's about making people understand WZ Forums is likely on their last legs and that if people want to continue communicating with those they post with now, there is a place to do that.

I'm not asking anyone to jump ship. Post on SCF and WZ, I still plan to.

Just understand the difference in the situations. Crave clearly doesn't care about this place. I can give you plenty of examples. The owner of SCF does care.

Agree completely. We're not asking for loyalty, we're not asking for anything. We're just here to provide a service for free. That's all. Post on SCF if you want, don't if you don't. There's no pressure at all.

What an astounding contrast in maturity.

Thank you for the answers, I'm sure SCF is in far more capable hands than WZ ultimately will be. Good luck.

I've stayed out of this thread for a while on purpose, but I do want to clarify some of these questions.
To just be a place for people to post. It will be wrestling centered, but includes other forums as well.
Unlike WZ, we are not putting a forum on the Internet to make money. I have paid for everything myself and I am hosting it free of charge to users. I have not included ads and there will never be advertisements on the forum as long as I'm hosting it.

I've been running my work's website for nearly 10 years. I've had my own webpage for half a decade. Thanks for the advice. ;)

There was no "bitch fight". There was actually no communication at all from Crave to me before or after. A user saw an interaction between a mod and a different regular user and came to me and "protest(ed) strongly" and basically asked I punish the moderator because of a particular word the moderator used. I politely and professional explained to him the moderator did not break any rules and that I treat moderators the same as regular posters. This particular user didn't like that answer and because the user did not get their way, decided to complain to the higher ups. The higher ups, based on whatever the user told them (and I've never once seen it, so I cannot tell you what was in it), basically decided, without getting any information from me or having any idea of how things actually happened on the forum, demoted both myself and the moderator, never once communicating before or after the fact.

Of course, that is their right, it is their forum, but it was unprofessional. However, that wasn't all. After the fact, I got in touch with Mr. Nick Hausman, whose decision it was to demote me, and sent a professional e-mail, explaining all the work I've done for the forums over the years, including putting my own money into the forum, and I basically said if you give me rules you want enforced I will do so. I also asked for an explanation on the decision.

Mr. Hausman's response essentially amounted to a "screw you". After I sent a multi-paragraph professional e-mail to Mr. Hausman, Mr. Hausman could not be bothered to reply with more than one or two sentences and then told people he wasn't going to reply to me ever again. It was one of the most unprofessional things I've seen in business and several other people who have been party to the issue agreed.

There has been talk for a while about how Crave has never cared about this place, never upgrades it, never bothers with it. I have had to fix several issues on the forum and I once had to be the one to detect the malware that basically made the forum hang and caused the forum to be nearly unusable. Crave/WZ clearly does not care about this forum, so discussions have taken place for a while about a backup in case one day the forum just disappears.

With Mr. Hausman's completely unprofessional actions towards me, that was enough to convince me (and some others) that this place could be gone very soon. If Crave/WZ is willing to let just some random person completely alter the landscape of the forum, removing someone who has put in their time and money to help the forums run, then clearly they do not care at all about the forums (as evidenced by the fact the software powering this forum is a decade old).

As such, I decided it was time to go ahead and complete the discussion which had been taking place for months before I was demoted. That's what happened. There was no bitch fight and I'm not trying to stick to to WZ. I've been a member of WZ for a very long time, I'm not trying to ruin it. But, the fact is, the WZ Forums are not taken care of and the first time they don't just run themselves, the first time someone messes something up, then it seems more than likely Crave will just remove the forum.

So, with the SC Forums, there is a place where the owners actually care, the forum is updated, and a forum which will be around for a long time and not a forum that is trying to use you to make money.

The goals are to have a place where people can post about wrestling and anything else they want. And they can do it on a forum that will be taken care of.

As far as getting new users, we have a few different ways to achieve that which we are/will be utilizing, but ultimately, since there's no money to be made, it's just about providing the best place possible for current users.

I'm not trying to split a community, I'm trying to provide the community with some peace of mind.

If you want to come and post, that's great. You don't have to leave WZ. I mean, I own the relatively expensive vbulletin software powering SC Forums, I pay for the hosting for SC Forums, I'm an administrator at SC Forums and I'm still posting on WZ. It's not about taking you away from WZ, it's about making sure the community which has grown up on WZ doesn't die because some random unprofessional person who clearly doesn't care about the forums just suddenly makes a rash decision without considering those who his/her decision will affect.

I'll be there for sure as I do like the people in here and their insights on wrestling and more. I'm really not trying to be an ass here or whatever, I'm really interested in that idea of a new forum and I would love to see it be a part of a bigger platform that most of you have.

KB Reviews, The Norcal Podcast, even Killjoy's website, which ARE GREAT and SC Forums. Imagine a bigger umbrella brand with all that assets. I see you're kinda trying that and that's awesome. On paper it looks really great and it could lead to a big community since I do think forums are way better than subreddits.

Your answers are completely plausible and I do agree with you. The guy was a fucking asshole, plain and simple.

Now to the other one - don't come here talking about SEO, when I'm pretty sure 90% of you don't know how that really works. Specially on a FORUM powered by vBulletin. You don't have YOAST or whatever, telling you how good your post is. Even that, I'm pretty sure most of you don't know how the fuck google gives you priority over other searches. Wrestling isn't a niche market anymore. California Wrestling or whatever, probably is specially with long-tailed keywords, but a forum isn't powered by that.

But, I've given my piece in here for too much time now and since most of you think I'm being negative towards it, I'll rest my case. I wish you luck, but at the same time, I know how much work you'll have to put into it in order for it to be a bigger community as good as WZ is and it's just sad that we can lose it. Been here longer than my sign up date says and it's a damn shame. Learned a lot in here about A LOT of things I now use professionally.

I'll be there for sure as I do like the people in here and their insights on wrestling and more. I'm really not trying to be an ass here or whatever, I'm really interested in that idea of a new forum and I would love to see it be a part of a bigger platform that most of you have.
Awesome, it'll be good to have you.

KB Reviews, The Norcal Podcast, even Killjoy's website, which ARE GREAT and SC Forums. Imagine a bigger umbrella brand with all that assets. I see you're kinda trying that and that's awesome. On paper it looks really great and it could lead to a big community since I do think forums are way better than subreddits.
We want the people who actually make the community to be the ones who benefit. Crave/WZ puts a forum out there but doesn't really care much about who posts on it. We want to take care of the people who actually contribute.

And I'm not even meaning that as an attack on Crave/WZ, just statements of facts. WZ's goal is to drive traffic, especially to their main page, in order to increase ad revenue. We just have different goals.

Your answers are completely plausible and I do agree with you. The guy was a fucking asshole, plain and simple.
And there have been some other things done (and not done) by Hausman which worries people about what kind of care will be taken of the forum. I won't go into them, because it's not my place to say, but basically Hausman has not been very good to several members of the forums.

Now to the other one - don't come here talking about SEO, when I'm pretty sure 90% of you don't know how that really works. Specially on a FORUM powered by vBulletin. You don't have YOAST or whatever, telling you how good your post is. Even that, I'm pretty sure most of you don't know how the fuck google gives you priority over other searches. Wrestling isn't a niche market anymore. California Wrestling or whatever, probably is specially with long-tailed keywords, but a forum isn't powered by that.
Meh, we'll do some work to improve search rankings, but the fact of the matter is if someone does a Google search for wrestling, our forums may never show up on the first page. It would require some other factors and work/money in order to make something like that happen.

Right now, the only real concern is about making sure posters have a place to converse with those they've grown to know.

But, I've given my piece in here for too much time now and since most of you think I'm being negative towards it, I'll rest my case. I wish you luck, but at the same time, I know how much work you'll have to put into it in order for it to be a bigger community as good as WZ is and it's just sad that we can lose it. Been here longer than my sign up date says and it's a damn shame. Learned a lot in here about A LOT of things I know use professionally.
Questions are fair. Just hope people understand the reasons for the SC Forums. I don't want people to think, as you stated earlier, that we're trying to stick it to WZ. It's really not like that all. I wasn't even the slightest bit mad when I saw I got demoted, it was more humorous than anything.

It's just about having a place for people to chat. That's really it.

If you want to come and post, that's great. You don't have to leave WZ. I mean, I own the relatively expensive vbulletin software powering SC Forums, I pay for the hosting and domain name for SC Forums, I'm an administrator at SC Forums and I'm still posting on WZ. It's not about taking you away from WZ, it's about making sure the community which has grown up on WZ doesn't die because some random unprofessional person who clearly doesn't care about the forums just suddenly makes a rash decision without considering those who his/her decision will affect.

You, know, after reading this, maybe trying another wrasslin' forum is something I could get behind. I can absolutely respect your passion for having a place to shoot the shit about wrasslin' and whatever else. Also, it sure seems like the future of this place is certainly in question, having a backup plan is probably a good idea.

I already respected you a lot. And this has certainly increased it. I'm already there. And I really appreciate you and anyone who's in it trying without any return back. Thank you.

But, I've given my piece in here for too much time now and since most of you think I'm being negative towards it, I'll rest my case. I wish you luck, but at the same time, I know how much work you'll have to put into it in order for it to be a bigger community as good as WZ is and it's just sad that we can lose it. Been here longer than my sign up date says and it's a damn shame. Learned a lot in here about A LOT of things I now use professionally.

Because you are? :shrug:

I really am not. I want it to find more success than this one if anything, I'm just pointing the cons of going to a new place where you might not get as much viewability as you do on WZ main page and as people pointed out, a forum with the same people everyday gets tiresome and if one decides to leave, you feel it.

I'm going to add something to what I previously said with an example:

Dragon Saga, remember the guy? He was a great poster and he knew his shit. I don't know what drove him away, but it did and I remember him being fairly regular. Specially on ROH thread. Yet, he went away and the ROH conversations felt it.

Dave was here for movies for a long time and somehow Mitch replaced him fairly well. You had that beard dude, Theo I guess, who was amazing in design section that actually drove some people there, FSWWE, Seth, Jam and others tried their hand on it. They all left it went dead.

The Crock, fairly regular, went away. LSN80, another.

To make matters worse, Milenko stayed.

But in exchange you got people like Navi, ShinChan, Spidey and a bunch of others who found it via main website who got to be an important part of the community and drove people to stay, because someone carried their legacy in a way and it's still good guys to share a conversation, read their opinions on LDs and non-spam posts.

So, imagine in a years time, nobody new shows up and some of the regulars here get tired of coming here... What now? There's no new Shin or Navi to replace and eventually it just dies down. Don't want to lose the community. Just that.

As I just said (and I'm not speaking personally here, my 279 non-spam posts in going on ten years probably don't make me the type of poster you're looking for), the WZ admins and high-level posters are attempting to snatch away a large portion of posters from this site to go on their forum.

False. I ASSURE you no one gives a shit. Merely letting people know it's out there, and will be better than here.

No one is asking you to leave your castle and found the new fucking world. It's really not that serious.

I'm going to add something to what I previously said with an example:

Dragon Saga, remember the guy? He was a great poster and he knew his shit. I don't know what drove him away, but it did and I remember him being fairly regular. Specially on ROH thread. Yet, he went away and the ROH conversations felt it.

Dave was here for movies for a long time and somehow Mitch replaced him fairly well. You had that beard dude, Theo I guess, who was amazing in design section that actually drove some people there, FSWWE, Seth, Jam and others tried their hand on it. They all left it went dead.

The Crock, fairly regular, went away. LSN80, another.

To make matters worse, Milenko stayed.

But in exchange you got people like Navi, ShinChan, Spidey and a bunch of others who found it via main website who got to be an important part of the community and drove people to stay, because someone carried their legacy in a way and it's still good guys to share a conversation, read their opinions on LDs and non-spam posts.

So, imagine in a years time, nobody new shows up and some of the regulars here get tired of coming here... What now? There's no new Shin or Navi to replace and eventually it just dies down. Don't want to lose the community. Just that.

Go suck an AIDS infested dick

:lmao:

No, he was quite a knob actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back