Sting's Debut

KBeef

Occasional Pre-Show
We all saw the debut of Sting tonight, Am I the only one wondering why the hell they chose to introduce him with brand new music?!

I feel that took a lot out of the moment for me, why not bring him with the music we all know or a slight remix of it.

it worked with Goldberg, first night old music then a remix later on.
It kind of took something out of a moment that for me should have been bigger, even it was huge already.
everything after the entrance I enjoyed but that was my one gripe.

It could maybe have something to do with copyright infringement. Or maybe the WWE has decided that since he works for them now, they want him to have a new tune to come out too.

I think of lot of the people had no idea who he was, you could see the confusion in some of their faces. If you never watched TNA or are a younger fan, Sting might be alien to you.

I doubt its copyright, because his music is in the video game that just came out and it was a WCW theme which they own, also in a promo video for the video game. I am not sure why they did it and I get a new identity but it should have came later on, not tonight.

2K was able to get the song for the video game commercial. There was no excuse for WWE not to have the music to match the look. If they wanted to spruce him up a little, ditch the black leotard and the trench coat that went out with Columbine, and make him "WWE Sting," then new music would've made sense. It's no big deal though.

I was underwhelmed, but the possibility of me being excited for this was on life support like 6 years ago and the WrestleMania 27 hoopla killed it. Way too late for me and for him, really. He can't go anymore, he only has cache with people like us, and it's just one more metaphorical mouth to feed if he's going to be on TV a fair amount. It was certainly a cool moment as a wrestling fan because it was Sting on WWE, but neither of those names mean what they used to and neither has put out consistently good work for nearly a decade.

I thought it was handled well... but gotta get him on RAW tomorrow night or it loses a bit of the "OMG" thing

It has happened years later than anticipated. Still, I've watched Sting in TNA for years so seeing him was not to much of a shock. The music hit, the crowd went mild, he hit a referee and stood in the ring. Dropped Triple H, win went to team Cena. Sting got revenge for WcW a decade to late but it's cool for the die hard fans.

I'm glad we finally got Sting's debut in WWE. I'm looking forward to the Triple H vs Sting feud that will likely lead into Wrestlemania. It's a true dream match with two of the last stars from the Monday Night Wars. They also look like they match up against each well physically as both of them are similar size and stature. I'm looking forward to this program in the next few months.

Awesome debut. The death drop was epic. But I agree they should of used the original entrance music, the we one was kind of creepy. Like more for a heel.

Is it me or did the beginning of his music sounded like the Undertaker/Big Show theme from back in the day?

Awesome debut. The death drop was epic. But I agree they should of used the original entrance music, the one they used was kind of creepy. Like more for a heel.

I have a million feelings on it, it's the moment I've been waiting for since 2001, and in some ways it delivered, in some ways it didn't, and in some ways it could never live up to the anticipation of a 13 year wait. It's bittersweet.

Pros:
-Sting is in WWE!
-A WM match between him and HHH is all but set (something I accurately predicted many times on these forums).

Cons:
-His hair. Look, I know it's shallow, and I shouldn't care, but here's the deal, whether we want to admit it or not, what we all really want is the Sting of 1997/98. Obviously, that isn't going to/can't happen. But, couldn't they have made some kind of effort with his hair? The divas all wear extensions, couldn't they dye his hair dark, cover the bald spot with an extension, and have his face paint go to the edge of his hair line? Otherwise his whole body and face are covered, so you could almost forget his age and just get lost in the moment. It was a totally mark out moment for me, but seeing his strange orangey balding hair just reminded me this is 2014 Sting, and my inner teenager, wanted to pretend like I was witnessing the invasion angle I always dreamed of.

-The music. His music is iconic, and they've just spent weeks getting us familiar with it in the 2K15 commercial, so why the hell would you change it now?! Especially on a night that already saw two other new themes debut, I really think this was a huge mistake, because it caused some confusion.

-Where was the baseball bat? Again, this is iconic. Crow Sting without the bat is like Jake without the snake, or Hacksaw without the 2x4. Imagine if he stood on the ramp and pointed the bat at HHH, THAT would've been a moment.

-The Commentary. Yeesh, what can I say. It's like they were reading his resume, and they'd known he was coming all along. Go back and watch his entrance at Starcade 1997 (the debut of Crow Sting), here's exactly what Tony Schivone says before Sting comes out "because we've been waiting so long for the entrance of Sting, I think we ought to just let the moment speak for itself" and then he goes silent. Perfect. WWE should've taken note.

-The overall effects. This is a minor gripe, but obviously he wasn't going to come down from the rafters, so couldn't they have projected a shadow coming down the tron? Or had some smoke or something? In 1997 he had lasers and fake snow, it's 2014 for the biggest wrestling promotion in the world and he just walks down the ramp?

Overall: I'm thrilled it finally happened before it was too late. I saw him wrestle at TNA tapings in Orlando, and used to think to myself how much better he deserved, and I'm glad it looks like he's finally going to get that moment for the history books. I just wish that they would've done something to protect the gimmick a little more, give him the mystique he deserves, and really play this up like it's a HUGE deal, because, well it is.

I was surprised he finally debuted. I figured Orton would have done what Sting did while we continue to wait for Sting's debut.

I guess this means Taker won't be wrestling at WM 31. However, HHH vs. Sting gives the best face vs. heel scenario.

Good God. People on here are actually bitching about his return?

His music. Okay, there are different royalties for different uses. In other words, it costs a hell of a lot more to get to use music every show for the next 4 months vs a commercial. I don't give a shit, it was still cool and the music was still good.

He didn't have his bat. No, but then it made him more vulnerable and more logical for Triple H to try to attack him.

Yes, he's balding, he's old.

Yes, it would have been more relevant 15 years ago.

No. The commentary actually wasn't bad. Cole's "OH MY GOD" was pretty well done.

All that said, it's a top 5 WWE moment instantly because of what it means. The bitching about this is so incredibly irritating I don't think the English language has a word for it. Let's just call it "IWCing". Whenever you give someone something awesome, and they STILL find something to bitch about, it's "IWCing". For example, if you win a new car and bitch about the color of the steering wheel, that's IWCing. If you are in a threesome and complain that it isn't a three girls, you're IWCing. If Sting debuts, the crowd chants "this is awesome" and "holy shit" and everyone in the arena, even 50 year old guys, are marking out, and you nitpick, you are IWCing.

This moment was so big to me that they didn't need any pyros or added effects all I cared about was Sting taking that walk. As far as the music goes, I hope that this means that Sting is not just going to be a one match and retire. They wouldn't put the effort into making a new song for him if it was only going to be played once or twice. The other thing about his music, if I remember it was a slow build intro and knowing the WWE they want instant pop and the soft beginning to the song doesn't work that way.

The commentary during Stings entrance was nothing short of pathetic. Luckily I went blank and didn't remember the calls but my god on replay...

People are saying the reaction was disappointing. Are we talking the reaction to Bret Hart in 2010, or the reaction to Jake Roberts this year? Or somewhere in between?

It was awesome. I just have to wonder about the timing.
Unless the angle is that Vince wants him to take over as the "GM" type figure of the WWE in which case I am far less excited. If this is the beginning of a run of matches starting at Rumble I would be more than happy. Get him in there against HHH or Taker at WM31.

Call me crazy but I had a hunch it was gonna go down tonight.

All that said, it's a top 5 WWE moment instantly because of what it means. The bitching about this is so incredibly irritating I don't think the English language has a word for it. Let's just call it "IWCing". Whenever you give someone something awesome, and they STILL find something to bitch about, it's "IWCing". For example, if you win a new car and bitch about the color of the steering wheel, that's IWCing. If you are in a threesome and complain that it isn't a three girls, you're IWCing. If Sting debuts, the crowd chants "this is awesome" and "holy shit" and everyone in the arena, even 50 year old guys, are marking out, and you nitpick, you are IWCing.

Totally agreed about nitpicking. It was an awesome debut for an awesome legend. You calling it instantly a top 5 moment in WWE history is what I like to call "Fanboying"

The reality is that it could never live up to everyone's idea of what it could be after 20 years. So they've gone with the iconic look. Music wise its nitpicking, The game is based on classic Sting... Hence the music, this is 2014-15 WWE Sting... Darker works.

If I'm honest, whole thing seemed rushed to me but its done now. Its what they do now.

Took you longer enough Sting...I just wish that you could have been here sooner in the WWE.

Having the wrestling icon Sting in the WWE will be great while Sting is active in the ring. Triple H must feel like a little boy in a candy store to be the first guy to work with the Stinger while he's in the WWE. But just how much juice does Sting have left in the tank to go in the ring with guys like Triple H and Brock Lesner? And Sting is pretty much up there in age being in his 50's and is slightly older than the Undertaker. So if these two go at it at Wrestlemania 31, Sting will be the old man in the match so I could see Sting putting Taker over if the deadman can return for one last match?

But I'm just excited to FINALLY see Sting debut in the WWE. Something that we all thought would never happen. Bravo!

Loved it. Id rather see Sting vs Triple H at the Rumble, with the winner facing Undertaker in his last match.

Loved it. Id rather see Sting vs Triple H at the Rumble, with the winner facing Undertaker in his last match.

He really should have more than one match. For an all-time guy, he has four glaring omissions on his resume: Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock and Shawn Michaels. It's safe to say the latter two won't happen now, but Undertaker and Trips can still happen. His matches against other WWF legends like Hulk, Austin, Savage, Bret and Foley can be seen for only... I forget how much.

Man, I don't care who you are, if you weren't marking during that whole match, something is wrong. And if you didn't just stand up in your house when Sting came out and death dropped HHH, then there's no hope for you as a fan of pro wrestling.

I'm barely 19, never watched an episode of WCW or TNA in my life yet I was marking the fuck out when the crows sounded, even more so when he death dropped Triple H.

I get goosebumps thinking about a Sting v HHH match at Rumble (what a boost to the card that would be, especially considering Lesnar will compete there as well), and then Sting interrupting Taker on a Raw episode after Rumble, and having a stare down then pointing at WM logo in the arena with his bat.

All in all it was a great debut, I don't care much about the nitpicks, wrestling fans were waiting for this for bloody years, of course it won't live up to their fantasies.

It definitely offset my slight disappointment about Orton not returning in his hometown. The fact I haven't read much about the lack of Orton just goes to show how Ziggler and Sting stole the night.

How are some people complaining about this? Were you even fans of WCW in the late 1980s or throughout the 1990s?

Nothing JBL could have said could take me out of the surreal moment of Sting being on WWE TV. Same with the music, same with him not having his bat.

It's friggin' Sting and he's on WWE and giving Triple H the death drop for god's sake! There really isn't any pleasing some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back