suggestion: mobile forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

trendkiller

The Voice of Reason
So, I've just gotten myself a phone with a good Internet connection and a decent display (Nokia N97 if it matters :)) and just wanted to suggest the creation of a forum skin customized for cell phone browsing. This would include stuff like very few images and barely any bells or whistles.

It'll look like crap on any modern computer, but since it'd be an optional skin, it wouldn't interfere with regular users and would bring WZ forums into the next-gen territory and offer something few (no?) others do.

$0.02 ;)

So, I've just gotten myself a phone with a good Internet connection and a decent display (Nokia N97 if it matters :)) and just wanted to suggest the creation of a forum skin customized for cell phone browsing. This would include stuff like very few images and barely any bells or whistles.

It'll look like crap on any modern computer, but since it'd be an optional skin, it wouldn't interfere with regular users and would bring WZ forums into the next-gen territory and offer something few (no?) others do.

$0.02 ;)
In your UserCP, you can, I believe, disable the showing of Avatars, Signatures, and Images, thus doing basically what you want.

There's really no reason to create a custom skin, if you can just do that.

EDIT: Just checked and, indeed, you can turn those things off. I'm sure would work great for mobile phones.

In your UserCP, you can, I believe, disable the showing of Avatars, Signatures, and Images, thus doing basically what you want.

There's really no reason to create a custom skin, if you can just do that.

EDIT: Just checked and, indeed, you can turn those things off. I'm sure would work great for mobile phones.

Yeah it works, but it's still fairly slow to load, largely due to the humongous (mobile screen, yeah? :p) ad banner at the top. But something more than removing sigs, avatars and in-post images could be useful, too.

There is a LOT of graphics that go into a forum such as this (I've admined a few in my days) and every kilobyte of graphics that you can eliminate and replace with text is speed and affordability (depending on your cell phone provider deal) to any mobile phone surfer.

Maybe there's no need for it at present, but couldn't the need be created if it was something that was promoted? It's a fairly small amount of work to create such a simplistic and minimalistic skin, but the payoff could be good :)

Yeah it works, but it's still fairly slow to load, largely due to the humongous (mobile screen, yeah? :p) ad banner at the top. But something more than removing sigs, avatars and in-post images could be useful, too.

There is a LOT of graphics that go into a forum such as this (I've admined a few in my days) and every kilobyte of graphics that you can eliminate and replace with text is speed and affordability (depending on your cell phone provider deal) to any mobile phone surfer.

Maybe there's no need for it at present, but couldn't the need be created if it was something that was promoted? It's a fairly small amount of work to create such a simplistic and minimalistic skin, but the payoff could be good :)

Just out of curiosity, but how bad is your cell phone network if WZ is slowing down your cell phone?

The ad at the top has to stay...not my call, it's the boys upstairs who decide that. As far as the other graphics go, with the avatars and sig banners off, the forum is very small in graphic size. Turn your posts per page in a thread to 10, remove the avatars and sig banners, and this is not difficult at all to access.

Very excited over this. Tried going on the forums the other day on my Blackberry and it was hard to read the forum, and pages took forever to load.

Thank you.

Don't get too excited yet. I need to get the css uploaded. Until then it'll be functional but fugly.

I have a quick question, that you may be able to help me with.

I have a BlackBerry and whenever I enter a Wrestlezone URL into my phone browser, it redirects me to the Atomic Online mobile page. I even tried putting the exact URL you listed in directly but to the same result.

I can say that the mobile site works excellently on the Amazon Kindle. Very useful.

I have a quick question, that you may be able to help me with.

I have a BlackBerry and whenever I enter a Wrestlezone URL into my phone browser, it redirects me to the Atomic Online mobile page. I even tried putting the exact URL you listed in directly but to the same result.
Try using Opera Mini

I know I'm a little late on this but I also use my blackberry but to be honest it doesn't take forever to load. Its impossible to edit a post but that's about it. Getting redirected to the main site doesn't really bother me. I just scroll to the bottom and click forum. Its not hard at all. I don't know why y'all are having problems. Try adjusting your browser options. I have everything on except java script and it still loads at a decent speed. You just have to work with it a little bit. And Opera Mini takes about five hours to load a single page from my experience so I wouldn't use it...but anyways that mobile thing is plain and works but I'll stick to the original...

Maybe make an app for it on Itunes? That'd be sick, except make it to not require the 3.00 or higher updates...because I didn't install any of those.

Anyways, when I have the time, and I'm browsing Wrestlezone in school, one time it automatically got blocked by the school's "Lightspeed" it's called, blocking system. It got blocked because it wasn't recongized. It said "Think this site should allowed?" I said it was Educational for children. I sent a few reports of how it should be allowed.

I was on WZ again today when I was waiting for my bus (later in the day, at school), it seemed to be working fine, but I'm not sure if it'll stay. I think a Wrestlezone Forum app would be great, and maybe you guys can make a little money, and make it worth 0.99$, but honestly, I probably wouldn't buy if you had to pay, as schools almost over and I wouldn't be using it much, but come Fall I will! :D

Ok, I just tried this on my phone, and I love it. I was having a lot of problems with the full version not loading completely because it would use all of my memory. I'm using a Samsung SCH-R451 so it's not exactly the most advanced phone. This version works great and loads really fast for me. Thanks!

There isn't an app but you can add this website to your home screen on your iPhone so it takes you directly here.

There isn't an app but you can add this website to your home screen on your iPhone so it takes you directly here.

I did that but I was looking for 1 for the home page for news and stuff. I forget the name of it but I had one like that one my old iPhone and it was pretty good

Wait? You were looking for the home page for this site? The one that gives the news? Your forgot the name? You think it'd be too far different from forums.wrestlezone? Lol the main site is called Wrestlezone...this is just the forums for it, though I know..these forums seem like they can be a whole new site itself. And, you can get to the main site easily, even on your iPhone, by clicking "Hot Wresltezone News Stories:" thing at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back