Tennis Grand Slams. Easier for women?

Richard

Mid-Card Championship Winner
In tennis, for both male and female players it is typical that to win the match you have to win two sets before the other player but an exception is at the four Grand Slam events throughout the year where women have to win two sets per match and males have to win three sets per match.

Is this fair? Do you think women should be made to play as long as male players?

I don’t think it is fair. This year at the Australian Open, the prize money all the way throughout the tournament was the same, regardless of male or female gender. I don’t see why male tennis players should have to play more sets, longer matches and by playing for longer, risking potential injuries for the same prize money that female tennis players get for playing shorter matches. The International Tennis Federation needs to do something about this and make women play the same match length as men or either reduce the women’s prize money for each round. I personally think tennis matches should be the same in Grand Slams and both male and female matches should be 'Best of 5 set' matches.

What do all you tennis followers on WZ think?

I totally 100% agree it isn't fair. They getless time on the court ( well in set wise) and they get the same amount of money. It's just completly bullshit. The men can sometimes go up to five hours but yet they get the same amount of money for women that barely do 2. Now that isn't fair at all. It's jsut not fair.

True Pippen. For the Australian Open this year, the winners prize money was $2,000,000 regardless of gender. Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal had a classic 5 setter which went for 4 hours and 23 mins according to Wikipedia. Serena Williams killed Dinara Safina in 2 sets in a really short match which from memory lasted under 1 hour and got the same ammount of money as Rafael Nadal who played for over 4 times the length of that. It's not fair.

Also, there are more make contenders. While the top is definitely clear cut in men's tennis, the next tier, and even the bottom of the draw are better. In women's tennis, the quarters at every tournament are the same. In the men's draw, after Nadal and Federer, there are 25 guys who can compete for the next few spots. In women's tennis, you can pick one of six girls to win a major, and be right ovary time.

The prize money issue is a bigger deal, It seems that push for equality is more a push for reversing the dominant party in a sexist society. Apparently, equality means, men got it better for the first seven millennia of society, so now it's the female's turn. Ummmmm, no. If you want equality, play five sets, or get 60 percent of the money for sixty percent of the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back