The Best Football Player Turned Wrestler?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Are you a washed up football player? Can't begin to think of how you're going to make a living in the sport ever again. Got knees that are brittle from years of cut blocks, to the point that one more snap in the NFL might cause your sockets to fall out of place? Are you tired of the paralysis causing hits, to the point that you can't take the pressure of the sport anymore?

Well, it's really simple; just come to wrestling. So many other washed up players have. For some reason, football and wrestling have this feedback loop, in which they interact by sending some of their greats to each other. Football had Brock Lesnar for, I dunno, six months. Meanwhile, former football players who just couldn't hack it anymore found fame and fortune in the rasslin' business. Names like Luger, Simmons and the like all have made their name in football before moving on to the world of wrestling. Shit, we still have it now, what with Titus O' Neil trying to make it a win in football, and in wrestling. Hell, the biggest name on the roster spent a good couple of years playing college ball for some no name school out in Bumblefuck. Wrestling and Football seem to go hand in hand, for some reason. The question is simple; Who was the best football player turned to a wrestler?

I mean, it's not like there's an outright winner that everyone's going to jump to...

[YOUTUBE]dmR5IZt-hTo[/YOUTUBE]​

....Yeah, guys, look. I know there's going to be a majority of posters who turn into here if I don't include this: I want the best combined wrestler and football player. If you're going to pick the Rock, you better be ready to explain why he was also Warren Sapp's backup. I'm aware, Warren Sapp is probably the greatest Defensive Tackle of his generation, but the fact is, Dwayne Johnson was made to look good by the fact that college teams needed to double, sometimes triple team Warren Sapp, because he was the unstoppable monster on that front line. Hell, there are times in which Rocky got to the quarterback untouched, because people were so focused on his teammates. Sure, he won a national title, but he never really did anything for the team. If you're going to argue The Rock, you better be able to explain his lackings on the football field.

Whcih brings me to my answer.... Brian Pillman.

Look, the man was 220 pounds, and playing Defensive Tackle on the Miami Redskins squad. It might seem as though it was a small guy playing on a bad squad, until you realized that Brian Pillman was named an All-American at the spot. Mind you, he wasn't just named once, but twice to the team. He was not just a one hit wonder of blurring speed, but rather someone that put up consistent numbers facing off against guys easily 60-70 pounds heavier than him, at the least. At the time, I'm not sure they kepta record for Sacks, but he held the record for tackles for loss in the NCAA. Again, let me reiterate that for you; a 220 pound kid was pushing around men nearly 300 pounds, and doing so at an All American level. That kind of ability is absolutely unheard of. Which made it pretty much common knowledge he wouldn't be drafted, because his size wouldn't warrant it. Still, he tried, and played for the Bengals and Bills, before trying out his abilities in the wrestling ring. The results would lead to the influence of a lightheavyweight division in American wrestling, which changed the face of the sport as we know it. I don't typically give enough credit to Pillman on these forums, but it was probably his match with Jushin Liger that made us all realize that lightheavyweight wrestling could bhe exciting. He was really a man way before his time, and truly a pioneer in the sport of wrestling, in changing how one feels about Cruiserweights. His in ring work was second to none for so long, to the point that his wrestling skills typically are underrated because of his Loose Cannon gimmick. He is, to me, the best combination of a football player turned wrestler, but that's just for me. Who, to you, was the ebst football player turned wrestler?

I would have to go with Swagger as a current. Past 5 years would be Monty Brown. The guy won a superbowl! And for the future I'm going to go with husky harris. I see a bright future for this fellow troy alum.

Damn, this is a good question. First off, I would've totally said :worship: The Rock because of his success in the ring, I didn't really watch football when he was in college. I'd play it, I just never watched it until the Steelers got cheated in Superbowl XXX. Going from your argument of stats I would say :worship:Pillman and not just b/c I may be the biggest Pillman mark on this site but I'm gonna have to go with Wahoo McDaniel :worship:Ron Simmons comes second as I believe he's the only ex football player besided Wahoo that's in any sort of HOF for football and to have a very good pro wrestling career.

BillAlfonso: Hey, Ron, sorry about making you second.

Ron Simmons: DAMN!

If we're talking the best combined football player and wrestler, it has to be Ron Simmons. He's one of the greatest defensive players in college football history and nearly won the Heisman (not an easy task for a defensive player), and is enshrined in more than one football hall of fame. Add to that the fact that he won a World title and was a very good draw in Florida and Atlanta, as well as actually being a good power wrestler, and the case seems pretty clear to me that Simmons should probably win this title here of best combined football player and wrestler.

There are other very good football players that turned into wrestlers, unfortunately they were usually atrocious as wrestlers (Steve McMichael, I'm looking at your talentless ass). Simmons had good success in both fields of play though, so he's got to be my pick.

Brian Pillman is a good choice, but he really wasn't that extraordinary of a football player as you're trying to make him out to be, he was always going to be a special teams guy in the NFL regardless of his size.

Brian Pillman is a good choice, but he really wasn't that extraordinary of a football player as you're trying to make him out to be, he was always going to be a special teams guy in the NFL regardless of his size.

I can agree he wasn't extraordinary as I make him out to be, per se. I think it's a combination of two things that made me go for Pillman over Simmons, who I actually have third, after Pillman and Big Van Vader, who too won an NFL Championship.

1. Pillman did it all at a size that was absolutely unheard of. It may have been a different time, but he brought relevancy to Miami of Ohio. You know how difficult that is, man? The closest Miami of Ohio got to being important was when they had Ben Roethlisberger as quarterback, and even then I think they only won 9 games in one season. Pillman stood out on a team that had a bit of talent, but not near as much as a team like Florida State did. I always liked Simmons as a player, but I love the idea of a feisty, smaller player beating the bigger guys by technique.

2. I liked Pillman better as a wrestler. I don't need to sell you on how good Pillman was, and if you asked me, I'd still say he was a better wrestler than Ron Simmons. I'd also say if he didn't work in the same era as Ole Anderson and Bill Watts, who weren't huge supporters of small guys, he'd be in the main event, possibly world champion. Remember, it was Bill Watts that wanted to basically bury Brian Pillman, and Pillman who retorted "Fine, I'll be the higest paid jobber in history." I guess it works both ways, as Watts was plenty racist, and Simmons was his champion, but even then, I just like Pillman as a worker that much better.

I like the choice of Simmons, just not before either Pillman or Big Van Vader

Lol the rock and the 91-92 Miami Hurricanes got their asses handed to them in the national title game against Alabama after the night before going to Bama's hotel room's and cussing them so not the rock. Hell rock couldnt even make it in the CFL which is the only reason he started wrestling. Goldberg or Monty Brown were the best football players turned wrestlers.

To me it's easily Ernie Ladd. As far as football goes he was a big D Tackle for Grambling and is in the universities Hall of Fame. Then with pro football he was drafted into both the AFL and NFL but chose to play in the AFL (which at that point was equal talent wise to the NFL). He was a 4 time AFL all star, a three time all pro, and he won an AFL championship in 1963. He is also inducted in the San Diego Chargers Hall of Fame.

As a wrestler he won numerous titles in numerous territories and was a big time heel. He went toe to toe with some of the best during that time period including Bruno Sammartino. He was also one of the first inductees into the WWF/E hall of fame. With all the accolades in both football and wrestling he is easily the best combined football player and wrestler.

Sorry I don't know too much about him, but I think Ernie Ladd deserves to be mentioned. I can't say I know much about his football career, but I know he's in the San Diego Chargers hall of fame. He's also in the WWE hall of fame. He was inducted sometime in the mid 90's when I think it may have been a bit more prestigious. From what little I have seen of Ladd he seemed like a great wrestling star and given his talent in the ring and on the mic probably should have gotten a world title run.

EDIT: Big Sexy beat me by one minute. Good call.

I can agree he wasn't extraordinary as I make him out to be, per se. I think it's a combination of two things that made me go for Pillman over Simmons, who I actually have third, after Pillman and Big Van Vader, who too won an NFL Championship.

1. Pillman did it all at a size that was absolutely unheard of. It may have been a different time, but he brought relevancy to Miami of Ohio. You know how difficult that is, man? The closest Miami of Ohio got to being important was when they had Ben Roethlisberger as quarterback, and even then I think they only won 9 games in one season. Pillman stood out on a team that had a bit of talent, but not near as much as a team like Florida State did. I always liked Simmons as a player, but I love the idea of a feisty, smaller player beating the bigger guys by technique.

2. I liked Pillman better as a wrestler. I don't need to sell you on how good Pillman was, and if you asked me, I'd still say he was a better wrestler than Ron Simmons. I'd also say if he didn't work in the same era as Ole Anderson and Bill Watts, who weren't huge supporters of small guys, he'd be in the main event, possibly world champion. Remember, it was Bill Watts that wanted to basically bury Brian Pillman, and Pillman who retorted "Fine, I'll be the higest paid jobber in history." I guess it works both ways, as Watts was plenty racist, and Simmons was his champion, but even then, I just like Pillman as a worker that much better.

I like the choice of Simmons, just not before either Pillman or Big Van Vader

Vader may have won an NFL title, but what did he actually contribute to that team? Absolutely nothing, he wasn't even activated until the Super Bowl. He accomplished nothing in football. Whereas Simmons was THE star of one of the biggest schools in college football at the time, and his play on the field speaks for itself. His team went to several Orange Bowl's with him in large part due to his play, whereas guys like Vader or Monty Brown contributed very little to their NFL title winning teams. Ron Simmons is in 3 different football Hall of Fames and had his jersey retired from one of the most prolific and legendary colleges in football history.

Add to that his World title win in wrestling and thats why if we're talking the best combined football player/wrestler, it's got to be Simmons in my book. Vader accomplished nothing in football, and Pillman wasn't half the player Simmons was. Yes he was fiesty and played hard and had heart, but he accomplished very little outside of a few awards for "courage". Ron Simmons did. A lot. And he was the first black World champion in the modern era of wrestling. His record speaks for itself IMO.

Oh and I absolutely agree that Pillman was the better wrestler, but we're talking best combined football player/wrestler, so I couldn't rightfully choose him because of his lack of success in football.

For a personal taste, It would have to be Goldberg. The man was my hero growing up. He played from Georgia and was billed from Atlanta which I realize now that he is from Tulsa. Although he didn't have a hardly sucessful football career, the man did have a good wrestling one.

To answer the question logically though, I would pick Wahoo McDaniel. I think he may be the only player turn wrestler, to achieve sucess in pro football as well as pro wrestling at the same time. The man was a star on the New York Jets and in the WWWF (yes I typed that right). After leaving football, he had a HOF career in wrestling winning numerous titles in the NWA.

I was astonished that some people actually came up with Ernie Ladd, because most people on this forum have no knowledge of wrestling history prior to the Hulk Hogan WWF era.

In addition to Ernie (who was the most charismatic ex-footballer):

Dick the Bruiser
Verne Gagne
Bronko Nagurski
Leo Nomellini
Alex Karras
Tito Santana
Tully Blanchard (college)
Dusty Rhodes
Terry Funk
Skip Young
Russ Francis
Wahoo McDaniel
Steve McMichael
Steve Williams (USFL)
Lex Lugar
Paul Orndorf (World Football League)

Ron Simmons. Simmons was a 2 time All American @ Florida State. He finished 9th in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1979. His number was retired by FSU in 1988, & he was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2008. He played in the NFL & USFL. And, of course, he was the 1st African American world champion & held numerous other titles.

I'd have to say either Ernie Ladd or Ron Simmons. I'm 31 and I haven't seen much footage but he was credited as being one of the biggest african american wrestling stars ever. His perceverence led to opportunities for Ron Simmons and The Rock. He was inducted into the Chargers HOF also.

of the answers i've read so far, i like Ernie Ladd, Ron Simmons and Brian Pillman the best. arguably, these guys belong at the top of this list.

Rock could go on, but that would only be for sentimental reasons and because he was fantastic inside the wrestling world. but his football career was severely lacking.

of the names not yet mentioned, i might add John Bradshaw Layfield. the only reason i say that is because of his financial success. this is a guy that was making money in football, got injured and lost it all, then started back up the financial ladder in wrestling and became so successful that he wrote a New York Times Best-Seller on finances.

so for kinda odd reasons, i'd add JBL to the list because of how he was able to connect football to wrestling to writing, and how all of that helped shape his final gimmick in wrestling which was a very successful world champion.

Bill Goldberg was a garbage pro. Two years as a Falcon, then left exposed in the Expansion Draft.

When making this argument, you have gotta be not only a football historian, but a wrestling historian as well. So, with that being said........Bronko Nagurski.

-Charter Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1963)
-College Football Hall of Fame
University of Minnesota #72 Retired
Chicago Bears #3 Retired
2-Time NWA/NBA World Heavyweight Champion
Los Angeles World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion
NWA Minnesota Boxing and Wrestling Club World Tag Team Champion (with Verne Gagne).

If you ranked a Top 5 all-around....

1. Bronko Nagurski
2. Ernie Ladd
3. Wahoo McDaniel
4. Ron Simmons
5. Leo Nomellini

Amazed no one mentioned Leon "Vader" White on this list, he too was an All American and played in a Superbowl for the Rams...

Wrestling career wise he was pretty spectacular, winning the WCW title and dominating Japan for several years...

Let's not forget about Lex Luger (Green Bay Packers) and Hacksaw Jim Duggan too. Let's not vote for them...just let's not forget about them.

Most success at both...Farooq...er I mean Ron Simmons.

Most on the wrestling side...the Rock and Goldberg.

my vote is for the "World's most dangerous Wrestler" William Afflis, AKA Dick the Bruiser!

he was a lineman for the Green Bay Packers, before retiring for a 31 year career in pro wrestling

Bill Goldberg was a garbage pro. Two years as a Falcon, then left exposed in the Expansion Draft.

When making this argument, you have gotta be not only a football historian, but a wrestling historian as well. So, with that being said........Bronko Nagurski.

-Charter Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1963)
-College Football Hall of Fame
University of Minnesota #72 Retired
Chicago Bears #3 Retired
2-Time NWA/NBA World Heavyweight Champion
Los Angeles World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion
NWA Minnesota Boxing and Wrestling Club World Tag Team Champion (with Verne Gagne).

If you ranked a Top 5 all-around....

1. Bronko Nagurski
2. Ernie Ladd
3. Wahoo McDaniel
4. Ron Simmons
5. Leo Nomellini

Couldn't have said it any better. How can you not vote for the man? Sure, he may not have been the best wrestler, but he IS the most decorated in football, and does have multiple world titles. Ron Simmons college football career was good, but really cannot measure up to Bronko. They have an award named after the man for the best defensive player in the nation. Add that to his multiple world title wins, and folks we've got a winner

I'll probably get warned for this, but I don't know who was in football before wrestling or vice versa too well. I'll give props to Rock, Pillman, et. al. I think to be a two-sport (even if one is entertainment based) athlete deserves a mention.

The criteria here are sort of loose. College ball or Pro Ball? Would you say a college player is less than a pro player? Would you mark a pro player down some points for never achieving a championship ring?

Anyhow, without that info, I can't give you a really well informed answer here. I never heard of Dwayne Johnson before he was the Rock. I never, honestly, heard of Pillman until I got on this forum. To me as a football fan, they're nobodies. As a wrestling fan, obviously that's different.

I do think, however, that the reason you see football players and wrestlers trade sports so often is because of the shared nature of the physicality you endure in each sport. Football will break your body, period. Unless you're a kicker, you're very likely to be crippled or disabled to some degree after 8 or 9 years of play at the pro level. The same can be said for pro wrestling. The WWE wants 4 star matches every time you hit the ring, doesn't matter if it's a TV taping, PPV event or just a house show, you better give them everything you have.

Baseball players simply aren't the athletes that football players/wrestlers are. They're talented, sure, but not physical specimens (usually). Same goes for Basketball and Soccer. Hockey, they're just as physical if not more so than Football players, however, they have such a developed farm system, they don't have to leave their sport entirely to earn a decent living doing what they love.

With pro football, you have NFL, CFL and this new USFL league which is a joke. I guess you can throw the Arena league in there, but honestly, they're operating on borrowed time. Hell, they just missed an entire season due to lack of money. The CFL is only big in Canada, so there's not nearly the money available that you see in the NFL. This new alternative football league doesn't pay squat and nobody really knows about it. ANd like stated earlier, the Arena league will be gone soon. So if you're a talented football player who just can't make the cut, your only option to stay in the spotlight is to go into wrestling. Not many 6'8" 385lb lineman can transition into much else.

Couldn't have said it any better. How can you not vote for the man? Sure, he may not have been the best wrestler, but he IS the most decorated in football, and does have multiple world titles. Ron Simmons college football career was good, but really cannot measure up to Bronko. They have an award named after the man for the best defensive player in the nation. Add that to his multiple world title wins, and folks we've got a winner

Exactly. Nagurski was a talented football player in it's own. From his wikipedia page:

A time-honored and perhaps apocryphal story about Nagurski is a scoring gallop that he made against the Washington Redskins, knocking two linebackers in opposite directions, stomping a defensive halfback and crushing a safety, then bouncing off the goalposts and Wrigley Field's brick wall. On returning to the huddle for the extra point try, he reportedly said: "That last guy hit me awfully hard."

Not to mention, the guy was World's Champion prior to the forming of the National Wrestling Alliance governing body. The National Boxing and Wrestling Association, it's precursor wanted Nagurski to be their champion.

The best football player turned wrestler will allways be goldberg. He won way more titles than lesnar ever did in both companies he worked for lesnar was molded into a miny version of bill GOLDBERG and failed miserably.
Pillman was another hack at football but acceled very well in the industry

I have to agree with Big Sexy back on page 1...Ernie Big Cat Ladd. Seven years in the NFL, and not as a backup. He is a member of the San Diego Chargers hall of fame, he was all-pro 3 times, an AFL all star 4 times, and has an AFL championship to his name. This guy was a legit football player, not some guy who was a backup, not some guy who was okay in college, but not good enough for the NFL. Ernie Ladd was a stud football player at the highest level, at the same time having a memorable wrestling career. While he never won one of the "big titles", he has a lot of the regional titles. He is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame and the defunct WCW Hall of Fame.

I think when you combine his football and his wrestling, he offers the best balanced resume. Other guys were average football players turned into good wrestlers, Ladd was a great football player turned into a great wrestler. He was successful at the highest levels of competition for both. That puts him a step ahead of everyone else.

You're all forgetting one mega star.... Pacman Jones in TNA!

Haha. All joking aside, my vote goes to Bruno Nagurski. If I'm not mistaken, he actually has an award named after him. Simmons is a close seceond, but as a Gator fan I can't justify putting an FSU alum at the top of ANY list.

For me id have to go with John Cena yeah he didnt go pro but he played college and was pretty good.and of course weve seen how big of a star he is now in the WWE..so yeah i got to go with Cena

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back