The best Luchas de Apuestas (WWE/WCW only)

Hazardous

parental discretion advised
Watching some old footage of WCW, I came across the Jericho/Guerrera, Mask vs. Title match. Which got me thinking.. Of all the Mask vs __ or Hair vs ___ which one was not only done the best story wise, but shocked you as well?

For me it was that match. Only due to the fact it was the first time I had ever seen a masked wrestler Un-masked, and I had herd about how much the masks meant to those wrestlers, and their heritage. Jeff Jerrett having his long golden hair cut came off as a shocker as well, but not as much to me as Guerrera losing his mask. I may be wrong, but I think that might have been the first one to happen in WCW (of a mask being taken that is) which then started a common theme, with Mysterio and Psicosis soon to follow.

So which match really stood out to you?

When exactly did that happen? If you mean the match at SuperBrawl VIII where Juvi unmasked, I'm pretty sure this was Mask VS Title, not Mask VS Hair.

Triple H vs. Kane, Title vs. Mask, Monday Night Raw.

not a typical choice, i know, as there have been a number of masks, titles and hairs on the line in both promotions. but this one got me.

Kane was on a monster push, challenging for titles and winning, just returning from an absence, etc. he was a mega face while teaming with RVD and Hurricane during this time.

prior to this, Kane's only WHC came for one night at King of the Ring and was gone the next. so i thought that he was long overdue for another WHC title and it would've been huge to have him go over Triple H for the title on Raw, kinda like Foley going over Rock on Raw. it doesn't happen often and so when it does, it's huge.

plus, not being a total dork, but i KNEW that Kane wasn't really scarred and burned from his kayfabe storyline. so how could he unmask? it'd make the WWE look really lame for unmasking a burned monster. but then came the "emotional scarring, not physical scarring" explanation, which was lame. even lamer. Kane unmasked. i just couldn't believe they'd unmask the monster.

to be fair, i thought Kane was amazing immediately thereafter and only got stale a bit later on. his entrance with the black tights and red barb wire was pretty cool, the black towel over his head as he made his way to the ring (hi Tazz!) and his initial feuds with RVD, Hurricane and Shane McMahon were sadistic. i loved it!

but still, it shocked me at the time.

honorable mentions goes to all the Luchadores that unmasked in WCW. interesting how Rey entered WWE with his mask back on and that Psichosis stayed unmasked. still, these were big surprises because of how meaningful those masks are in their culture.

Rey didn't want to be unmasked to begin with, and felt that it was a "Lose my mask or lose my job" situation. Plus Vince knew the popularity of Mysterio, and saw money in the mask. (at least I think so any way) where as Psichosis wasn't nearly as.. Over.. With the fans.

I think Mysterio, because he was such a fan favorite, and the mask seemed a big part of that...plus he looked like he was 12 when he unmasked! Anyway, that was probably the most surprising outcome of that stip. Molly Holly losing her hair was probably the most surprising hair match...not many women had done that.

I have to go with Judah'sLion on this one. For a good part of my childhood I wanted to see what was under Kane's mask. I honestly thought it would never happen because it was such an integral part of his character. The build-up to it really made me believe it wasn't going to happen, especially when Evolution attacked him when he was about to do it. I taped that shit and still have it somewhere because I thought it was going to be such a monumental moment in my life lol. It did disappoint when it first happened, it had that WTF? this is what I've been waiting for this whole time feel. But the week after it got better. Also I don't think we would have seen Kane break out of his shell, he barely talked with the mask. Without it he delivers some of the most intense promos out there. It was a big step forward in his career and I'm not sure how much more we could have gotten out of the masked Kane at that time. This may have not been as traditionally important as Rey or other Luchadores unmasking but it was a big moment for me.

An honorable mention would be Edge vs Angle where Angle got shaved bald. This did so much for his overall look and added so much intensity. Look at Angle when he had hair and look it at him bald. There is a significant difference in the way he carried/carries himself when he is bald. When he has hair he looks like an All-American golden boy, without it he looks like a Wrestling Machine. I went overboard a bit I guess lol.

As far as The Luchadores go... I would say Rey has the edge IMO. Though Juvy came first, I think Rey's was bigger!

But OVERALL Mask Vs. _____ Match...

Gotta be Triple H Vs. Kane. That whole thing was huge and was basically years in the making. Kane went on a destructive rampage afterwards.

As far as The Luchadores go... I would say Rey has the edge IMO. Though Juvy came first, I think Rey's was bigger!

See, and I don't agree on that one. Even Rey has said he didn't like that it was done so small scale. I mean, in a tag match? Really? It wasn't as big as Juvy's match was. Which is odd since Rey was a bigger star. WcW dropped the ball on that one I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back